Buying health Insuurence thailand

BigC

Don't do it

Bought from a company across the road from bangkok hospital

Been paying family package for 2 years

Now I have not lied about any of my health problems and they have refused to pay now k am stuck with a bill of around 300 k

My options are pay bangkok hospital now

Or not pay and they take me to court

Or pay them hen try to claim in about 1 month

All the woman could say was that she understood and is sorry and how can she do

I said close your company as what is the point of having Insuurence then not paying this is robbery

Over 50 k per year been paying for family package

You pay the same per year for Bupa just up the road....

Yes, I think the issue is not buying health insurance in Thailand but the need to be careful to only buy from a reputable company.

Closest insurance you get from across the street from Samui Bangkok hospital is BUPA.

• Like 1

Presumably, you cannot mention which company that is.

Not so useful then.

I visited a broker in Phuket town last week with a friend.

A list of about 10 companies. They propose one of 3 companies.

And they keep a record of companies that fail to pay as per coverage...

I have been thinking of this myself, which company to buy.

When I looked at BUPA it was much more than 50k per year. What type of cover does that give you as there are a lot of options.

Apart from BUPA who you would have thought should be ok are there any recommendations or companies that you think should be avoided.

I went to Lawton Asia in Bkk - a reputable shop, run by respectable people.

I bought health insurance packaged by Generali, which is one of the biggest global insurance companies. I paid about 30,000 a year and was around 38 or 39 so I got great coverage and bought in just before the 40's premium bump you see in all policies.

in 2009 at renewal time, Lawton contacted me and said Generali was pulling out of Thailand but that I was guaranteed the same coverage from another provider - for 60,000. I did not like this and pushed and pulled and complained. Nothing to do about it, says Lawton. I delayed longer than I should. Policy lapsed. I bought a new policy from another company and in the first 30 days (waiting period where coverage is not active), I suffered a huge health event. ICU, kind of stuff. Suddenly I had +300,000 in bills and climbing... including MRI and other expensive scans. The policy kicked me out.

My situation was unique and difficult to diagnose so and I had Thai Doctor friends who told me how to use Social Security and got my 'registered govt hospital' to send me to Chula where I was seen by some of Thailands best Doctors. The care was adequate, although not as nice as Paolo or Samitivej, etc. I paid nothing.

Social Security in Thailand is not that bad. If you are smart and get into a good hospital and play the games to get in front of good doctors, it covers everything and more that any private insurance policy would. This was not my case but just a 'for example' what if you fall off a motorcycle taxi and are not wearing a helmet or go scuba diving and have an accident. Would any private carrier cover that? I don't think so. But Social Security does.

Interestingly... did you know that after you leave a job in Thailand, you have the option to go to SS and pay the premium yourself to get continued coverage. Good option if you have a chronic condition and are buying meds and costs are 1500 a month or more. Social Security costs 350 Baht a month. That's cheap.

• Like 1

I went to Lawton Asia in Bkk - a reputable shop, run by respectable people.

I bought health insurance packaged by Generali, which is one of the biggest global insurance companies. I paid about 30,000 a year and was around 38 or 39 so I got great coverage and bought in just before the 40's premium bump you see in all policies.

in 2009 at renewal time, Lawton contacted me and said Generali was pulling out of Thailand but that I was guaranteed the same coverage from another provider - for 60,000. I did not like this and pushed and pulled and complained. Nothing to do about it, says Lawton. I delayed longer than I should. Policy lapsed. I bought a new policy from another company and in the first 30 days (waiting period where coverage is not active), I suffered a huge health event. ICU, kind of stuff. Suddenly I had +300,000 in bills and climbing... including MRI and other expensive scans. The policy kicked me out.

My situation was unique and difficult to diagnose so and I had Thai Doctor friends who told me how to use Social Security and got my 'registered govt hospital' to send me to Chula where I was seen by some of Thailands best Doctors. The care was adequate, although not as nice as Paolo or Samitivej, etc. I paid nothing.

Social Security in Thailand is not that bad. If you are smart and get into a good hospital and play the games to get in front of good doctors, it covers everything and more that any private insurance policy would. This was not my case but just a 'for example' what if you fall off a motorcycle taxi and are not wearing a helmet or go scuba diving and have an accident. Would any private carrier cover that? I don't think so. But Social Security does.

Interestingly... did you know that after you leave a job in Thailand, you have the option to go to SS and pay the premium yourself to get continued coverage. Good option if you have a chronic condition and are buying meds and costs are 1500 a month or more. Social Security costs 350 Baht a month. That's cheap.

So, I suggest getting a private policy for catastrophic events (cancer) that you hope to never use. And then use Thai Social Security for most everything else.

Before entering a hospital you have to check if your insurance covers at their rates. Also many insurance companies won't cover certain treatments within the first 1 or 2 years of being insured.

Bangkok hospital is a total rip-off and they are overcharging in a way that they are banned by many European insurers too.

I've asked them for a quote on some minor surgery that I need to get done and their "at least, but likely more" quote was more than flying to the UK and have it done in a private clinic there, including tickets and hotel!!!

And remember for all insurances; everything can be insured but a risk...

It is bupa was hoping uh at using an international company based in Thailand that they would pay up

Problem with my case is that I needed immediate treatment that either I go to suratthani

Which was not an option

So I have insurance

Do I do not care as I was covered

U did not lie about any of my history

There is no reason for them not to pay

Or wait up to month

As I am covered up to 1 million baht

Also if they do not cover Bangkok hospital then it is a bit convient that they have an office directly opposite

So my question is that if I have to pay the treatment myself then I could have covered it by not having Insuurence for 2 years at 50 l per year for family is package

L

I have been with BUPA for over two decades and never had any problems with them at all.

All their terms and conditions are clearly laid out as to what they will cover, and as long as you are 100% honest on the application form regarding past medical history you should have no problems either.

Any hint that you failed to disclose that doctors visit 5 years ago for a runny nose, which you may have thought irrelevant,they can and will use as an excuse not to pay out.

• Like 1

When we joined Bupa we were told that during the first 2 years we would have to first pay any account and then claim it back. I think this is what has happened here.

I think that is still the system for a lot of their plans and not just for two years, it certainly is for mine.

They generally pay up within two weeks of receiving the completed forms.

BUPA costs B92,000/year for 3 million baht coverage, and only B1Million per incident so I declined and 10 years ago I put B1Million in a Time Deposit Account to cover medical costs. I was in Hospital 3 weeks, including ICU, whist I was visiting Australia. The bill was nearly B1Million. Checking the small print, I found that the BUPA would only actually pay out B82,000, due to limits on cost of ICU, room fees etc. So I would have paid BUPA nearly B1Million and only got less than my yearly premium back, Much better to put the money in your own Time Deposit Account, B1Million invested at an average of 3% net for 10 years would grow to B1,343,916.

• Like 2

I have been insured by BUPA on Samui for six years, I am now 57 and Platinum package cost me almost 60,000 Bt.

I've had the misfortune to need to claim on three seperate occasions with each claim amounting to around 200,000 Bt and on each occasion the claim was agreed between the hospital and BUPA prior to the procedures taking place. One was at Rutnin Eye Hospital in Bangkok, the other two were at the eye clinic in Bangkok Hospital, Pattaya. The consent from BUPA was given without any undue delay.

The only bug bear I have with BUPA is the length of time I have been kept waiting between the hospital giving me the all clear to go home and BUPA's final agreement to cover the bill, between 3 and 5 hours, when I can actually leave.

At the risk of inviting libel action, allegations of overcharging have previously been made against Bangkok Hospital Samui and it may well be that BUPA do not cover that hospital, but they are hardly going to publish that fact.

My experience of BUPA (with that one bug bear) has been nothing but good.

It is bupa was hoping uh at using an international company based in Thailand that they would pay up

Problem with my case is that I needed immediate treatment that either I go to suratthani

Which was not an option

So I have insurance

Or wait up to month

Also if they do not cover Bangkok hospital then it is a bit convient that they have an office directly opposite

So my question is that if I have to pay the treatment myself then I could have covered it by not having Insuurence for 2 years at 50 l per year for family is package

L

But is your ailment covered in the policy?

Did you contact them before the treatment started?

About 4 years ago I had a heart bypass operation in the UK. Since I've been in Thailand I tried a few companies for accident insurance. They said that because of my operation, they couldn't insure me for accident insurance. Absolute <deleted>. If I have 15 beers and fall over it's got <deleted> all to do with the operation. It's because I'm pissed. Those that would insure me said I couldn't claim within the first 2 years. What's the point of having insurance then if you can't claim?

Which was not an option

So I have insurance

Or wait up to month

L

Tried to but they kept passing me around departments

If I waited it would have been 48 hrs before I would have known

Which was not an option

So I have insurance

Or wait up to month

L

Tried to but they kept passing me around departments

If I waited it would have been 48 hrs before I would have known

Also I would have been dead if I waited

The solution I found was accident insurance through ACE insurance. A 500k policy for about 8000 baht per year. I self insure on the balance. I looked at BUPA and found the per incident limits to be unrealistically low. Was insuring with pacific health for awhile, but their premiums doubled in a few years, and I went bye bye.

I ride a scooter, and my primary health concern is an accident, and also gaining entry into a hospital with a broken leg, etc. This serves that purpose.

Well I sympathise with this member, same happened to me with Bupa on Sukhamvit 3 or 4 years ago, refused to pay a perfectly legitimate claim because they can get away with it here. In Australia the same company had to pay for a back operation for me and cost them shitloads, so was happy with that - In Aussie they are govt regulated. But TIT, I know.

Hi,

Can somebody explain to me how to get an health insurance card for foreigners like mentioned in this forum before? This because I have had a bypass operation a few years ago and no insurance companie accept me (66 years old). Some companies accept me but the costs are just as high as my income! I hope somebody can explain me how that works with that thai insurance at 2600 Baht.

Regards, Thongpoon.

Hi,

Can somebody explain to me how to get an health insurance card for foreigners like mentioned in this forum before? This because I have had a bypass operation a few years ago and no insurance companie accept me (66 years old). Some companies accept me but the costs are just as high as my income! I hope somebody can explain me how that works with that thai insurance at 2600 Baht.

Regards, Thongpoon.

You can not get that health insurance card.