The British club Silom?

sms747

went in there today for the first time for a look around, very nice old house and library that seems to have been going over 100 years. You have to be a member and the fees are about 25k a year to start off with. I'd like to hear if anyone here is a member, obviously if you are you will think the fees are worth it, but i'd like to hear any members views, what do you get out of it. I would probably join if I lived a bit nearer.

I used to be a member when I worked in Bangkok. Now most of my friends who live there are members.

Nice people and a lot of interesting old timers. Well worth joining if you want to meet better than average "Brits" who prefer the "bar" scene

I've been a few times as a guest and I'm also considering joining full time, I wish they had on site badminton :( however the food especially the roasties are fairly decent and they change the menu often.

I've met some interesting Brits, Kiwis, Aussies and Canadians who are members, the type of people you want to see again and continue the conversation.

I've always enjoyed going there, not a member as I don't spend enough time in Bangkok. Have a number of friends who are members, and as mentioned there are some interesting people there. I like the facilities as well.

I have been a member for several years although now go very in frequently.

The reason I shall explain. When I first came to Thailand I did not join because I formed the impression that the committee members were generally living in a bygone era who appeared unable to run the club in a manner befitting of the 20th century, they wanted it run in a manner more appropriate to the colonial days. A few years later I did join and have remained a member ever since as there were then people who wanted to move the club on to appeal to a wider, more cosmopolitan audience.

However whilst of late they have made some significant changes that benefit the character and appeal of the club there are programs in place that seemingly are attempting to appeal to the few, hence my lack of visiting. To my mind a retrograde step as we are now in the 21st century although of course full credit should be given to the large improvement of the facilities.

As for value for money, and putting prejudices to one side, it can be good value for money if you visit often and utilize the sporting facilities. Hopefully the pretentiousness of "fine dining", piano and violin recitals and the like, will not distract the average member, or future members, from abandoning the club. After all nearly every major hotel in BKK offer so called "fine dining", this being only one example, so quite why a club, with family values choose to go down this route seems absurd.

Again good value for money if you choose to use the sporting facilities if you ignore the "British snobbery" which seems to have come to the fore in recent times.

Edited by esprit
  • Like 2

Apparently, they want to change their name from the British Club (seeing as they have quite a few members from the colonies, and they want to appeal to a wider audience) but they can't because it's under Royal patronage (or something like that).

Apparently, they want to change their name from the British Club (seeing as they have quite a few members from the colonies, and they want to appeal to a wider audience) but they can't because it's under Royal patronage (or something like that).

Not sure about that but I guess to rename it to the "British HISO and associated Masons club of Bangkok" may not give it too much appeal to the average member perhaps

Not sure about that but I guess to rename it to the "British HISO and associated Masons club of Bangkok" may not give it too much appeal to the average member perhaps

It is not under royal patronage per se but a small piece of the land is on long term lease from the Crown Property Bureau and one of the conditions of the lease is that that land must be used for a British club. The rest of the land belongs to the club's voting members, since it was purchased under bilateral treaties between the UK and Siam that gave British subjects the same rights to own land as Siamese subjects.

• Like 2

colleague of mine is a member and ive been to the tennis mix ins and wine tasting before. Pleasant experiences and as others have said, if I lived more close I would definitely consider becoming a member. Note that they offer a 50% discount on fees for under-30 year olds.