Sticker Shock

CMfoodie

Very strange...and not really adding up right unless prices are considerably higher at that location. A couple of the items we get often like Spaghetti Carbonara and the ribs. The Spaghetti is usually around the 300 THB mark and includes a salad. The ribs are (if I recall correctly) around the 275 THB mark for 1/2 rack so I don't understand the 'promotion' at all.

Over $20 for Spaghetti Carbonara & salad........surely it must be a family combo.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hubby and I have dined at The Dukes in the Night Bazaar. Yes, we know it's more expensive than The Dukes by the river, but we were in the Night Bazaar for other reasons, tired, hot and hungry and wanted to eat NOW! We were prepared for the worst, after hearing everyone go on about how no resident expat would ever be caught dead at The Dukes at the Night Bazaar.

Guess what! The food was up to the same great standards as The Dukes by the River, the aircon blasted away welcome relief and we got our meals much, much faster than if we took the time to travel across the river. Plus, we saved on song thaew/tuk-tuk fare home.

It was excellent value for the money.

Promenada doesn't have much to offer me. My Thai wife finds very little to shop for, the food court has only Thai food, the last 2 times i was there i ate popcorn from the movie cocession. The Rimping market is ok but dark and broken up by coffee shops and wine stalls etc. Quite frankly, i would probably go to Dukes for a beer and a sandwich if my wife ever drags me into Promenada again because there is nothing else to do there. A major disappointment for me because i live nearby and expected to be a regular customer.

Very strange...and not really adding up right unless prices are considerably higher at that location. A couple of the items we get often like Spaghetti Carbonara and the ribs. The Spaghetti is usually around the 300 THB mark and includes a salad. The ribs are (if I recall correctly) around the 275 THB mark for 1/2 rack so I don't understand the 'promotion' at all.

Over $20 for Spaghetti Carbonara & salad........surely it must be a family combo.

You know, I think you must be right. It's probably not fair for everyone (myself included) to make a judgment off of a flyer posted here. It could well mean a meal for 2, or family combo as you say. That would be in line with the Dukes pricing. For me personally I like the location of the original restaurant and will always go to that one.

• Like 1

Market Research doesn't figure large in the business process here...

Remember that the tenants are really just customers of the mall developer and Promenada had what sounded like a credible pitch when they started out, but construction delays and the superfast development of Central Festival have changed the game somewhat. Maya's target market looks to overlap with Promenada's and its central location appears more attractive so that, along with what sounds like a desperate effort to get space filled regardless of tenant quality, Promenada is in danger of turning into a much more ordinary venue. This will inevitably mean that when it comes time for lease renewal, original tenants who got in early will not be happy to continue paying the premium associated with an upscale Resort Mall (whatever that is).

Smaller retailers, many of which are franchaises, may start to question if having a presence in every mall is worth it while chains like Indiglo (who have just opened in Airport Plaza and apparently have serious space lined up in Central Festival and possibly Maya) can perhaps afford to sit it out for a bit longer.

Tourists do shop in malls - you only have to see the bus loads that are delivered to Airport Plaza every afternoon - but the store prices in Thailand, and particularly in Promenada, aren't really bargains so will they buy enough to pay the rents?

You know, I think you must be right. It's probably not fair for everyone (myself included) to make a judgment off of a flyer posted here. It could well mean a meal for 2, or family combo as you say. That would be in line with the Dukes pricing. For me personally I like the location of the original restaurant and will always go to that one.

If that is the case he may want to consider if this flyer is producng the required message. The meals look like a large meal for one not two and it is ambiguous whether the pizza pricing deal relates to one or two pizzas for the price shown.

If that is the case he may want to consider if this flyer is producng the required message. The meals look like a large meal for one not two and it is ambiguous whether the pizza pricing deal relates to one or two pizzas for the price shown.

I just re-read the flyer and it is clear that a Thai employee made it (if you study how the English is used - it was not Dave who wrote it). I get the feeling that as you said, the flyer is not producing the correct message and something is being lost in translation.

Edited by elektrified

I just re-read the flyer and it is clear that a Thai employee made it (if you study how the English is used - it was not Dave who wrote it). I get the feeling that as you said, the flyer is not producing the correct message and something is being lost in translation.

It depends at which time of the night Dave may have written it. I think it does need a look at though..

• Like 1

Relax may be he is just testing how you Duke's lover would react. I want try that 645 bath spaghetti right away!

Wow, wow and more wow! 645 Baht is a lot huh, let us review, Greek Salad, Spaghetti Carbonara, Garlic Cheese Bread.... Hmmm plus a litre of free coke, which should not be called that, as it's part of the promotion... I think.

PS: How exactly would you bath in 645 Baht?

• Like 1

Yup, my favorite one as well, but for me I'm lazy to walk from parking, have to wait for rainy season to end, motorbikes no problem for parking there!

Relax may be he is just testing how you Duke's lover would react. I want try that 645 bath spaghetti right away!

Wow, wow and more wow! 645 Baht is a lot huh, let us review, Greek Salad, Spaghetti Carbonara, Garlic Cheese Bread.... Hmmm plus a litre of free coke, which should not be called that, as it's part of the promotion... I think.

Well it's not clear yet. The spaghetti carbonara (for one) is usually about 300 THB including a large salad. Garlic cheese bread is 145 THB. So 445 THB. My guess is the 645 Baht promotion with a litre of coke is for 2 or more....but let's wait and see.

The are not exactly expensive ingredients, Spaghetti, Salad,Garlic Cheese bread, and pizza, the most

expensive ingredient are the Pork Ribs, which surely hes buying wholesale.and to me looks

like only enough for one, so its going to be an expensive meal for a family of 3/4.

We will just have to wait till someone goes and reports back on whether its worth the money or not.

regards Worgeordie

#26 And what prey tell, Anonymouse are Dave's faults Re:'Dave for all his faults...'?

I do not know Dave, read the verbal altercation in the last month or so, and can not comprehend the 'holier than holies' coming up with this Ad Hominem claptrap.

And yet you have the gall to feign amazement re: 'I'm always amazed what people get worked up about on this forum.' sad.png

I haven't really got a clue what your talking about??

I have met Dave a few times, as he walks around greeting customers at his restaurant. He's a fine gentleman, and a great asset to Chiang Mai. I especially like the Thanksgiving meal he puts on every November. I have also eaten at his Night Bazaar location several time, and was not aware that "no locals would ever eat there." maybe it was a bit more paeng, I didn't notice. The food was good.

I wish him well in his new place. If the prices are out of whack, I'm sure he'll notice soon enough, and do whatever is required

Chok dee, Mr. D.

BTW, in America, where Dave comes from, it's LITER. Nothing to get hung about.

• Like 2

I think that some posters are stuck in the 30 baht forever food stall mentality..,,

With restaruants there are 2 type of people..... people who go there to eat and people who operate them.

What the eaters sometime hesitate to understand is that food stall prices cannot work for a restaurant. With food stalls there is just the wagon set up and stock, hence with one person doing all the work you can get the 30 meal.

but please guys don't for a minute think that there are not other costs and expenses for the restaruant operation..... and sometimes the list seems endless...... rent, elect, , water, gas staff, licenses, taxes, and on and on.

For the location and ambiance of the Promenada, I don't think Duke's prices are out of line.

Now most of you will say yeah, yeah, we know that, but do you really? Dave puts out the money and takes the gamble and risk. If too many think it is too much for that received or more likely for them to spend, then then they won't partake. I know Dave and do not see him as a gougher type of person.

No 30bht food stalls at Promanada!

Premium price food stalls to eat in a building site ambiance, with a dusting of concrete.

Went once, just to see, won't be going again.

As for the Dukes,

My very favourite pizza place in town, by the river, well it was until I saw that last post by Dave.

I can live without pizza.

• Like 1

Dave for all his faults is a canny businessman so I guess he knows what he's doing I believe there was a similar thread to this one when he opened the Dukes in the Night Bazaar with slightly higher prices than the original. At the end of the day we have a choice of a number of Dave's establishments scattered around Chiang mai and the choice to visit anyone of them, if you don't like the price at the Promeneda head down to one of his other restaurants,

I'm always amazed what people get worked up about on this forum wink.png

Or you can just as easily head to other restaurants in CM that are just as good and possibly a bit cheaper.

David

Because they perpetuate the idiots here.

Let's face it, this web site has become a haven for idiots and unhappy campers and those that are afraid to let people know who they are. Hiding and complaining behind what is ThaiVisa. I have already stopped advertising for The River Market but for some reason they think I am kidding and they still have us listed there. Soon I will cancel The Duke's because the demographic of the old male dominated customer is no longer. I've said it to them before and I will say it again. "Wake UP ThaiVisa."

George, Barry, I feel for you.

Because they perpetuate the idiots here.

Let's face it, this web site has become a haven for idiots and unhappy campers and those that are afraid to let people know who they are. Hiding and complaining behind what is ThaiVisa. I have already stopped advertising for The River Market but for some reason they think I am kidding and they still have us listed there. Soon I will cancel The Duke's because the demographic of the old male dominated customer is no longer. I've said it to them before and I will say it again. "Wake UP ThaiVisa."

George, Barry, I feel for you.

Oh dear.

Yes, well worth passing on. A great reply, stating the obvious and letting the people that would probably never go there anyway know that their opinions aren't important. There are restaurants to fit all budgets in Chieng Mai so moaning about ones you can't afford or consider to be too expensive is futile. He knows what he's doing and is more than capable of getting it right every time.

He basically said, you run your mouth and I'll run my business. He may have been a bit blunt about it, but under the circumstances that's understandable. Nothing wrong with speaking your mind, and we're all adults here.

I wonder why he advertises here? I know I wouldn't.

You obviously do not know that I am the big pain in the ass. I am tired of the crap that I see and the bullshit. Lite Beer let's crap this out.

So why do you continue to read it?

David

What a stupid reply. People are criticising him and his business on a forum that he advertises on and you think he shouldn't read it or respond?
  • Like 2