Ducati Hypermotard/Hyperstrada 2013 Thailand

ll2

Hyperstrada is too low as it is lowered for asia. Buy hypermotard and add a windscreen and panniers. Better.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by ll2

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi I am in the process of moving to Thailand this year to live. I have always promised myself when that day comes that I would buy myself

a bike that I could have fun but more importantly do a bit of touring on. We have a home and a farm down south and my plan was to hit

the road when cabin fever sets in. I am 52 and only have ever road small bikes so maybe nervous of buying a bigger bike but what I have

read maybe the Hyperstrada is the bike to buy. Have any experienced members have advice for me please is this a good choice .

I reckon a Honda CB500X would suit your needs better than a hypermotard style bike with lots of power. For the price of the Ducati you could buy two Hondas and still have change left for a scooter. Or how about a Kawasaki Versys or Suzuki V-Strom for under 350000 baht - another pair of competent, easy going bikes with enough performance to be fun for someone stepping up from a small bike.
  • Like 2

Hyperstrada is too low as it is lowered for asia. Buy hypermotard and add a windscreen and panniers. Better.

This is true, but the HM is almost a little too tall, at 6ft 1 i'm on tip-toes quite a bit, would be a struggle for most under 5'10

Edited by B1ade

This is true, but the HM is almost a little too tall, at 6ft 1 i'm on tip-toes quite a bit, would be a struggle for most under 5'10

I don't agree.

I am 185 and the hyperstrada I did a short test ride on was perfect for me, seat much better too. When I sat in the motard I I thought, man that seat is hard and the seat is really high off the gound unless you are 190 cm tall or got looong legs.

You are getting all the extra stuff added on the hyperstrada cheap compared adding it on later, that will cost way more than 50K baht.

I don't agree.

I am 185 and the hyperstrada I did a short test ride on was perfect for me, seat much better too. When I sat in the motard I I thought, man that seat is hard and the seat is really high off the gound unless you are 190 cm tall or got looong legs.

You are getting all the extra stuff added on the hyperstrada cheap compared adding it on later, that will cost way more than 50K baht.

guzzi is right. The Hyperstrada is lower, but it's not "lowered for Asia". It's lowered because it has a different suspension and seat, better suited for touring.

I am only 180cm but I find the Hypermotard just fine in height, and I love the hard seat. The feeling while sitting down on it cause me to decide on the motard vs the strada. I ride 90% city 10% touring. Bike is fine for either purpose in either configuration but the strada is just more comfy. Also you're sitting lower behind the windscreen which might be good for longer stints.

I just got my windscreen - stock Hyperstrada windscreen installed on the motard - loving it. It still looks good and it works pretty well.

Is it a wise choice? I am not sure I'd describe a ton of fun to be had as wise. It's a supermodel ready to race. If you pull hard on the throttle in sports mode, it feels like a hard kick in the butt. Front might lift up too. Urban and turing modes tame the beast.

• Like 1

A bit of hijacking...

Is there a test ride at Ladprao in BKK tomorrow on all Ducati bikes?

If yes does anyone have a location or an address? I'd like to try a few models.

Sent from a Nuclear Submarine.

A bit of hijacking...

i thought you dont like parrot red?

A bit of hijacking...

i thought you dont like parrot red?

LOL, it wasn't the parrot red I didn't like but the tri color scheme with a lot of white. I've read your cbr650 topic and have seen the pictures of your bike, that I like, just plain red with black, good looking bike. Congrats on your purchase.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Im concerned about the green book and the white plate.

Does anybody get them for Hyper already?

After 5-6 Month it should be complete, Ducati say its my fault (thaistyle) my resident cert. is expired. 55555555555

no answer from Ducati Thailand, only, "no pompom not need white plate" i told them i want go other country like malaysia, they say, " Caannnnn noooootttt, but can go Chiang Mai"

look not good to sell the bike in future

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone get their white plates and green book yet?

No not yet, I took delivery in november. Phuket dealer told me no HM owners have got them yet, they didn't give a reason / didn't know why.

I've bought a couple of Ducatis from the Pattaya Ducati dealer and never had a problem. Usually the white plates and book arrive about four to six weeks after the purchase. As for comparing the Hyperstrada to a Honda, the Honda isn't even in the same league as the Ducati IMO. The sound, style, handling, etc. of the Ducati is way ahead of the Honda. For overall riding including a lot of trips and city riding the Hyperstrada would be my bike of choice.

I've bought a couple of Ducatis from the Pattaya Ducati dealer and never had a problem. Usually the white plates and book arrive about four to six weeks after the purchase. As for comparing the Hyperstrada to a Honda, the Honda isn't even in the same league as the Ducati IMO. The sound, style, handling, etc. of the Ducati is way ahead of the Honda. For overall riding including a lot of trips and city riding the Hyperstrada would be my bike of choice.

In your opinion and dreams only:lol:

Just dont fool yourself. You pay triple of a honda and get triple problems and glithces and 5000 thb oil changes!

Yea ducatis look cool but does not sound good imo.

Edited by ll2

Just dont fool yourself. You pay triple of a honda and get triple problems and glithces and 5000 thb oil changes!

A lot of people dont need or want to consider cost. I can assure you it is luckys reality and not dreams.

A lot of people dont need or want to consider cost. I can assure you it is luckys reality and not dreams.

Who doesn't want a ducati yankee? I am thinking of getting a ducati hypermotard next year too!

Of course they do great bikes. But Honda is in upper league than Ducati in terms of reliability, sturdiness and smoothness and Ducati is in another upper league on design and material.

And I prefer the sound of an inline four revving than the roar of a twin and like sturdier bikes. Plus taxes are stupidly high here and 5000 thb oil changes sure drive me crazy although I don't care about costs or a 5000 thb much as well.

"Anyone get their white plates and green book yet?

No not yet, I took delivery in november. Phuket dealer told me no HM owners have got them yet, they didn't give a reason / didn't know why."

"I've bought a couple of Ducatis from the Pattaya Ducati dealer and never had a problem. Usually the white plates and book arrive about four to six weeks after the purchase."

I was in last month for the steering head bearing seal recall, and the Thong Lor dealer told me they hadn't received registrations for any new bikes bought after October. They blamed the political crisis for slowing down DLT processing times. Not sure I buy that reason. Anyone know if other brands/dealers have experienced the same kind of delays for new bike registrations?

Edited by Kiri

I was in last month for the steering head bearing seal recall, and the Thong Lor dealer told me they hadn't received registrations for any new bikes bought after October. They blamed the political crisis for slowing down DLT processing times. Not sure I buy that reason. Anyone know if other brands/dealers have experienced the same kind of delays for new bike registrations?

I'm just guessing but I bet it's a tax issue due to the assembly being here now, comparisons with the higher cost of the previous model etc. Could be way off but there must be a reason that no one seems to have got them.

On another issue, I got the head bearing seal done too, it wasn't recalled I just popped in the shop and they said 'oh while you're here....', most 2013 HMs needed it, think it was ok from January 14 bikes, so other owners if you've not had it done check to see if you need it. There is also a software update but they don't have it yet - it is supposed to cure the idle fluctuations and make the throttle less jerky from what I have read.

Edited by B1ade

I'm just guessing but I bet it's a tax issue due to the assembly being here now, comparisons with the higher cost of the previous model etc. Could be way off but there must be a reason that no one seems to have got them.

On another issue, I got the head bearing seal done too, it wasn't recalled I just popped in the shop and they said 'oh while you're here....', most 2013 HMs needed it, think it was ok from January 14 bikes, so other owners if you've not had it done check to see if you need it. There is also a software update but they don't have it yet - it is supposed to cure the idle fluctuations and make the throttle less jerky from what I have read.

That is very good service from Ducati Thailand I must say.

I think poster Nikster had a new starter motor fitted to his Motard?

Got a monster in December 13 also still waiting for my plate, in the end i don't really care... But they said the same about the political situation...

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

That is very good service from Ducati Thailand I must say.

I think poster Nikster had a new starter motor fitted to his Motard?

Yes had a new starter motor installed, under warranty. The new one seems to be an entirely new model, it feels different and much stronger. I also had the front fork bearings replaced. And added some 'strada parts: The windshield and the grab handles, now I have a semi-motard & semi-touring bike. I kinda miss the old red rear end even though it's super unpractical - I might go back to that. Still have the parts.

There's some more of these cosmetic differences - the Hyper got the full on "sporty" treatment, the 'Strada the practical parts. The strada has: Rear grab handles, a full front fender, and a longer rear fender, too. Hypermotard fender in front is "half" - which looks sexy if you happen to spot it, but it also results in dirt being thrown over the front headlight and sometimes onto the rider when it's raining. The rear fender is very short, same reason, for the looks, and same effect, riding through any puddle throws dirt all over the back... 555 nobody ever said that this was a reasonable bike, right?

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Help please! Good luggage solution for the motard??

I bought the Kriega bags - a 30L and a 10L. Three problems:

(1)t he securing loops on the seat of the motard for securing bags don't work that well. No matter what the bags don't seem too secure.

(2) Hard to get on and off the bike with the 10L on top of the 30L and because of (1) hard to secure the 10 to the side

(3) 30 + 10 not really as rooms as my 40L north face bag.

I'm thinking of giving up and buying the (ugly) grab handles from the strada so I can use my north face or givi bag :(

Utility over beauty or is there another way? (I've thought about making the 10 a tank bag but still the 30 isn't that secure and 30+10 doesn't give enough space for month+ long touring for this pack rat).

Help!

ps I got my plates and book a while ago

No Ducatis would be a 'wise' buy in Thailand, the Honda 500 or 650 would be a wiser choice, as would one of the Kawas.

Wise? maybe, boring? For sure.

True. Riding at 200kph on Thai roads is great fun. blink.png