Ducati Hypermotard/Hyperstrada 2013 Thailand

ll2

I've got two engines for it..full FIM super stock spec and a World Endurance spec as spare, The Horse power is probably about the same as the stock engine but the midrange torque/power is night and day difference from the other BMW's I ridden.It's geared to hit 5th gear at BIRA, was hitting 236km/hr on Monday. Taking it to sepang next month where it should see 280km/hr+

Shane, tells me corner speeds are pretty awesome at Sepang.

Sent from my SM-T211 using Tapatalk 4

They are...turn 3 is my favourite, 4th gear!!!!

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow- it would be great to be able to run on a MotoGP track- I rode Laguna Seca once years ago (though, alas, it's no longer a MotoGP track..), but it was on my porky Busa. I remember the rental fee being pretty expensive, and there were quite a few of us sharing the cost- what does it cost to run Sepang (though you're probably sponsored and might not know/care;)).

Please start a thread with pics when you're done- that would be a nice addition to the bike section.

Anyone fit a luggage rack to the motard? It won't do anything for the beauty of the bike but will be very practical. As it stands I can strap only a very small bag to the back of the bike.

Unfortunately both the ducati luggage rack and passenger grab handles (which are needed to install the rack) have to be ordered from Italy and will take 2 months if ordered through ducati. I see www.pure-ducati.com delivers to Thailand and with USPS shipping will be $332 (about 11,000 baht). Any one order from them yet?

On another note, I bought the windscreen from ducati and it works pretty well. It's rather thin but pretty high. Higher than the one on the strada.

Can you post a pic of the screen? I didn't want to get the "touring windscreen" as I was concerned about the looks. The OEM windscreen from the Hyperstrada plus a few pieces to mount it can be ordered through Ducati though it's a little more expensive than the touring windscreen - about 9k baht. I ordered it but hasn't arrived yet... and no one knows when it will...

I couldn't do a luggage rack, that would kill the looks, but thinking about a tank bag and maybe a kriega tail pack for touring.

I also need a rear tire hugger, need to research that. As it is this is a fair weather bike; I hit some very small puddles yesterday and there's dirt all over the back... price to pay for that very nice exposed rear tire.

Anyone fit a luggage rack to the motard? It won't do anything for the beauty of the bike but will be very practical. As it stands I can strap only a very small bag to the back of the bike.

Unfortunately both the ducati luggage rack and passenger grab handles (which are needed to install the rack) have to be ordered from Italy and will take 2 months if ordered through ducati. I see www.pure-ducati.com delivers to Thailand and with USPS shipping will be $332 (about 11,000 baht). Any one order from them yet?

On another note, I bought the windscreen from ducati and it works pretty well. It's rather thin but pretty high. Higher than the one on the strada.

Can you post a pic of the screen? I didn't want to get the "touring windscreen" as I was concerned about the looks. The OEM windscreen from the Hyperstrada plus a few pieces to mount it can be ordered through Ducati though it's a little more expensive than the touring windscreen - about 9k baht. I ordered it but hasn't arrived yet... and no one knows when it will...

I couldn't do a luggage rack, that would kill the looks, but thinking about a tank bag and maybe a kriega tail pack for touring.

I also need a rear tire hugger, need to research that. As it is this is a fair weather bike; I hit some very small puddles yesterday and there's dirt all over the back... price to pay for that very nice exposed rear tire.

Looks like the luggage rack requires installing the rear grab handles and side bag rack of the strada which I definitely don't want - that really would ruin the looks.

Where can one buy the kriega bags other than panda rider which lists only up to the 20l on its website?

post-74517-13884820455718_thumb.jpg

post-74517-13884820766804_thumb.jpg

post-74517-13884820931335_thumb.jpg

Edited by ExpatForever

• 3 weeks later...

One thing I know about Ducati's is that the heat soak from their engine's high temps, deteriorates the radiator cap rubber seals fairly quickly and ultimately air in the cooling system. Look at inspecting & replacing them inside of a year. Cheap insurance to stop coolant flooding out when you come to a stop on a warm day. :)

Sent from my SM-T211 using Tapatalk

One thing I know about Ducati's is that the heat soak from their engine's high temps, deteriorates the radiator cap rubber seals fairly quickly and ultimately air in the cooling system. Look at inspecting & replacing them inside of a year. Cheap insurance to stop coolant flooding out when you come to a stop on a warm day. smile.png Sent from my SM-T211 using Tapatalk.

That does seem to be a common Ducati trait, running hot. Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out since mine is about one year old now. That is the one thing that I would change on the Monsters and the Diavel,they get extremely hot in stop and go traffic although I would think that the Multistrada with its huge radiator wouldn't have that problem.

Edited by Lucky33

Did the Ducati DRE riding experience basic course last week. Was great, and I was impressed by the professional organization. Very good instructors, and lots of them, spoke perfect English, and all participants improved visibly during the day.

Glad you enjoyed it

I saw your pics online the other day....Looked like a good day with a well organized group.

The only little issue that has developed is that she doesn't like to start sometimes. Haven't quite figured out what the conditions are but it seems to happen more when the bike is warm. It doesn't start on the first try. Usually does on the second, and sometime third. It's not happening with enough regularity to take it to the dealer just yet.

Funnily enough mine struggled this morning, from a cold start, only fired on one cylinder, struggled to hold revs and cut out, fired up fine on the second attempt. From cold it always dips below idle when i throttle off, sounds like its gonna cut out but never does, ok after a couple of kms.

^ no the joys are to put it in crazy mode - aka Sports - on the highway and not being able to stop smiling all the way home hahaha...

I've read in the forum that an ECU update supposedly fixes starting issues. Will check with the dealer next time I'm there.

The Duc was great for the first three years but the last three were a nightmare of continuous breakdowns, repairs and non-stop outlay. Beautiful looking and sounding bike but in the end I was so glad to be rid if it.

I can now stay with my buddies' inline fours as the Gixxer is in a different league in speed, handling and reliability.

Hehehe I heard that about older Ducs and so would never buy one...

I'm hoping the new ones are much improved... 15,000 km service intervals are an indication that Ducati is at least trying! Between that and the 2 year warranty, I'm hoping that all that will break will break within those first 2 years. As for "speed, handling" - not buying it wink.png

Of course that's apples and oranges - if I wanted a race bike I'd wait for the 899 Panigale made in Thailand, in a few months. But I think the hyper is way better for my type of riding, mostly city, some touring, and no race tracks.

Edited by nikster

Some people get unlucky with reliability issues, I never have, had an original 916 for a couple of years and it never once let me down, my 848 is 3.5 years old and never let me down either apart from a new battery a couple of weeks ago. Ducati's service intervals are double what they were 10 years ago so that shows a lot regards relibility nowadays.

nikster, do you have any confirmation the 899 is to be made here? I was told by ducati they'd never make the superbike range here but that was a while back and things change.

• Like 1

Some people get unlucky with reliability issues, I never have, had an original 916 for a couple of years and it never once let me down, my 848 is 3.5 years old and never let me down either apart from a new battery a couple of weeks ago. Ducati's service intervals are double what they were 10 years ago so that shows a lot regards relibility nowadays.

nikster, do you have any confirmation the 899 is to be made here? I was told by ducati they'd never make the superbike range here but that was a while back and things change.

I am 99% sure on the 899 - everybody seems to know about it. Worst kept secret of sorts. It's not really made here, just assembled here, like the other locally assembled bikes. Other rumors turned out to be true too. To me it looks like Ducati wants to move all assembly here though I do wonder why the Hypermotard SP isn't assembled in Thailand; maybe it will be at some point. It's only a bit more expensive in the USA and comes with lots of upgrades to in terms of value IMO the best of the hypers.

As with other rumors about new bikes, the timing is the only thing that's uncertain. It's ready when it's ready and while they might be targeting the middle of the year for the 899, in reality nobody can know. Things can go wrong, assembly line might not be ready, etc etc.

I am 99% sure on the 899 - everybody seems to know about it. Worst kept secret of sorts. It's not really made here, just assembled here, like the other locally assembled bikes. Other rumors turned out to be true too. To me it looks like Ducati wants to move all assembly here though I do wonder why the Hypermotard SP isn't assembled in Thailand; maybe it will be at some point. It's only a bit more expensive in the USA and comes with lots of upgrades to in terms of value IMO the best of the hypers.

Found quite a few forums talking about the arrival of the thai 899, especially in malaysia there is loads of chatter, speculation about pricing etc, Most people think mid this year and 20% lower price. all hear say for now but no smoke with out fire!

H1w4y, not enough, around 15k so far.

Found quite a few forums talking about the arrival of the thai 899, especially in malaysia there is loads of chatter, speculation about pricing etc, Most people think mid this year and 20% lower price. all hear say for now but no smoke with out fire!

Was at Ducati Tong Lo last week and the sales guy told me that the 899 will be assembled in Thailand and will be available around June/July. Didn't ask him about price but should be the same reduction in % as other ducs that are assembled here. About 20-30%.

Edited by Nickymaster

B1ade, I think the false neutrals is a break in thing, I almost never get them anymore. Got them a lot in the first 1000 km.

Bike is still awesome I've somehow racked up over 4,500 kms now. I guess I like riding it wink.png

The only little issue that has developed is that she doesn't like to start sometimes. Haven't quite figured out what the conditions are but it seems to happen more when the bike is warm. It doesn't start on the first try. Usually does on the second, and sometime third. It's not happening with enough regularity to take it to the dealer just yet.

I think the quality is fine overall - I am truly impressed with heat management, as the bike runs much cooler than any of the 650 Kawasakis I had. Dissipates the heat just fine IMO.

Did the Ducati DRE riding experience basic course last week. Was great, and I was impressed by the professional organization. Very good instructors, and lots of them, spoke perfect English, and all participants improved visibly during the day.

Welcome to Ducati. You need to learn how to change gears in order not to get false neutrals. If I don't pay attention on my MTS, I also easily end up in neutral. Concerning the warm starts, my MTS also has that same issue.

When hot, it also isn't that happy to start but it will always start after a few turns of the start motor. Just keep the button in a second or so longer. Are you saying that you have to give it another try (push the button again)? Or it just takes longer on the first try?

Edited by Nickymaster

Was at Ducati Tong Lo last week and the sales guy told me that the 899 will be assembled in Thailand and will be available around June/July. Didn't ask him about price but should be the same reduction in % as other ducs that are assembled here. About 20-30%.

We migh see it at 599 k thb!

Cool bike. Reviewers like it more than its brother panigale 1190.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app