Ducati Hypermotard/Hyperstrada 2013 Thailand

ll2

No Ducatis would be a 'wise' buy in Thailand, the Honda 500 or 650 would be a wiser choice, as would one of the Kawas.

Wise? maybe, boring? For sure.

Some people will never be happy. I have a lot of fun riding my 500, be it in the city or out of town.

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Riding a Honda 500 is fun but riding a Ducati is a thrill.

The styling, acceleration, heat, vibration, the sound of the desmo valve system and clattering clutch. Nice.

Add a rude muffler and and doesn't get much better.

Probably a bit like driving a Mustang. I prefer something that has a bit of refinement. I get enough 'thrills' avoiding all the retards on scooters.

The styling, acceleration, heat, vibration, the sound of the desmo valve system and clattering clutch. Nice.

Probably a bit like driving a Mustang. I prefer something that has a bit of refinement. I get enough 'thrills' avoiding all the retards on scooters.

The horse, right? Similar ride to a Streetfighter.

I hear you.

I think it's crazy driving a Ducati in Thailand.

And in this heat, all that leather gear you need. I want one so bad but just wouldn't use it here.

The horse, right? Similar ride to a Streetfighter.

I hear you.

I think it's crazy driving a Ducati in Thailand.

And in this heat, all that leather gear you need. I want one so bad but just wouldn't use it here.

I think that a Ducati Multistrada is the perfect bike for Thailand. And gear you need on any bike.

• Like 2

Got mine last week...have not real comment to compare to the old 796 ( i loved it)..new one is like a sleeping dragon...seat is bad..height..too much for me (i think 4cm higher) no compromise..i put all settings on safety..and u feel anyway the beast ( or as my dad call it..the box full of bolts shaking)..cannot wait to leash full power!!!i have a HD and a multistrada also but this is another game ball ( i am not mother tongue english..so i apologize if my passion went over my grammar

congrats! and no worries for your grammar, here is not an English class.

Just throw us your impressions.

happy rides.

• Like 1

I can't add much to that!

• 1 month later...

FWIW, I have a history with Ducatis in SE Asia, air cooled and water cooled. I have owned a Paul Smart LE, a 2001 900 Supersport, a 999s, and an 1198s. I currently own a 1993 900 Supersport project bike I am doing up as a cafe racer, and I have risen the Dukes listed before from Singapore to Chiang Mai and all points East of there.

My 2 cents worth, having read this thread all the way through, this is what I have learned:

1. Many of the problems that occur with Ducatis in Thailand can be laid at the feet of using Gasohol 95. I am guessing a lot of you that bought bikes in November last year will be starting to find that out now, if you haven't already changed to Gasoline 95. Agreed Gasoline 95 has only been available again for about 6 months. If you have no issues with your bikes, then pay the extra baht and use the gasoline 95 now and avoid issues later.

The problems are two-fold: Firstly the gasohol slowly degrades rubber hoses, making them brittle and crack. This was more a long term issue with the 999s being a 2004 bike. More pertinently though is that the Gasohol absorbs moisture from the air, and if you leave your bike unridden for a week, or don't regularly change out the fuel by constant riding it tends to settle out to the bottom of your tank and "caramelise" (not sure its a real word, but I mean turn to crystallised brown muck) around the fuel pump and inside the fuel filter and worse, in the injectors. This was particularly noticeable in my 1198 after about 12-18 months of ownership (from new) as I rotate 4 weeks in country out of the country. Hence the bike was sitting for long periods of time. I bought the bike from Thong Lor (of whom I have a particularly low opinion as they love to sell bikes, but their enthusiasm declines markedly when it comes to servicing and resale) in 2010 when there was no 95 Gasoline available, and was told "gasohol 95 no problem". Well that's just not the case . It was Khun Boyd at Chicane Moto in Lat Prao who set me right on this (after changing fuel filter, cleaning the injectors, and cleaning the slurry from the bottom of my tank and from the fuel pump) RUN YOUR BIKE ON 95 GASOLINE ONLY.

(As an aside to the above, I have just sold a CRF250M Honda that I had put on an exhaust, piggyback ECU etc. Same same as above: It had sat un-wridden for 3 months, and wouldn't start. I had pull the tank, clean the filter and fuel pump pick up, and blow out the injector and then run a tank of Gasoline 95 through it... and this is a bike with only 1350k on the clock. As for why i sold it? Gutless.)

2. Coolant and radiators. Agree with the comment made about changing radiator hoses out annually. Its not just the heat off the motor, its the ambient Thai heat and humidity. I have replaced hoses on the 999s and 1198 from the day I bought them with Silicone radiator and coolant hoses from Ebay. Well worth it, they last at least 3 years. Change your coolant annually: the aluminium radiator in my 999s gave up on me half way between HH and Phuket, necessitating a call out to K. Boyd again, and more money in his account. If buying a 2nd hand water cooled Duke, do this maintenance immediately.

3. Unlike a Honda Scoopy or Click, Ducatis are NOT weather proofed very well. I have had many problems over the years with water getting into coils, and more often than not, the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) on the injected bikes (Being the 2002 Supersport, 999s and the 1198). The Paul Smart LE I rode from Singapore to CM, and from Penang to Krabi in the pissing rain. Miserable riding. Anyhow got a local to wash the bike, and thinking it was a baby elephant he walked it into a small stream and used a bucket to wash it. Next day it farted and belched, and eventually dried out, but not before I pig-rooted all the way to Phuket... 6 months later the TPS died. Same on the 2002 900 SuperSport. The 1198 used to need resetting of the ECU if it got seriously wet. The lesson here is wash the bike with care.. don't hit it with a water blaster, or garden hose around the electrics. If you are half a decent mechanic, seal the coils, seal around the TPS and other electrics with what ever you have thats appropriate: I used dielectric grease, a plastic coating spray, electrical tape... what ever works. Designed in Europe, they are not capable of dealing with long rides in tropical down pours or being washed like an elephant... So really take care around water.

4 Lastly don't trust everything you read on forums, or you local mechanic. Ducati ownership is not like owning generic Jap shit (thats for the hater on the Hyabusa who seems so intent on telling us why we shouldn't own Dukes). Buy from Ebay the service manual for your bike on DVD. (It will cost you about 300B).The Ducati Service manual is amazingly good. Clear photos, with colour coded hoses imposed on the photos so you get it all right. I am not suggesting you become a mechanic, but you will be well served by being capable of diagnosing the problems, if not fixing them.

Hope this helps.

Edited by f0xxee

FWIW, I have a history with Ducatis in SE Asia, air cooled and water cooled. I have owned a Paul Smart LE, a 2001 900 Supersport, a 999s, and an 1198s. I currently own a 1993 900 Supersport project bike I am doing up as a cafe racer, and I have risen the Dukes listed before from Singapore to Chiang Mai and all points East of there.

My 2 cents worth, having read this thread all the way through, this is what I have learned:

1. Many of the problems that occur with Ducatis in Thailand can be laid at the feet of using Gasohol 95. I am guessing a lot of you that bought bikes in November last year will be starting to find that out now, if you haven't already changed to Gasoline 95. Agreed Gasoline 95 has only been available again for about 6 months. If you have no issues with your bikes, then pay the extra baht and use the gasoline 95 now and avoid issues later.

The problems are two-fold: Firstly the gasohol slowly degrades rubber hoses, making them brittle and crack. This was more a long term issue with the 999s being a 2004 bike. More pertinently though is that the Gasohol absorbs moisture from the air, and if you leave your bike unridden for a week, or don't regularly change out the fuel by constant riding it tends to settle out to the bottom of your tank and "caramelise" (not sure its a real word, but I mean turn to crystallised brown muck) around the fuel pump and inside the fuel filter and worse, in the injectors. This was particularly noticeable in my 1198 after about 12-18 months of ownership (from new) as I rotate 4 weeks in country out of the country. Hence the bike was sitting for long periods of time. I bought the bike from Thong Lor (of whom I have a particularly low opinion as they love to sell bikes, but their enthusiasm declines markedly when it comes to servicing and resale) in 2010 when there was no 95 Gasoline available, and was told "gasohol 95 no problem". Well that's just not the case . It was Khun Boyd at Chicane Moto in Lat Prao who set me right on this (after changing fuel filter, cleaning the injectors, and cleaning the slurry from the bottom of my tank and from the fuel pump) RUN YOUR BIKE ON 95 GASOLINE ONLY.

(As an aside to the above, I have just sold a CRF250M Honda that I had put on an exhaust, piggyback ECU etc. Same same as above: It had sat un-wridden for 3 months, and wouldn't start. I had pull the tank, clean the filter and fuel pump pick up, and blow out the injector and then run a tank of Gasoline 95 through it... and this is a bike with only 1350k on the clock. As for why i sold it? Gutless.)

2. Coolant and radiators. Agree with the comment made about changing radiator hoses out annually. Its not just the heat off the motor, its the ambient Thai heat and humidity. I have replaced hoses on the 999s and 1198 from the day I bought them with Silicone radiator and coolant hoses from Ebay. Well worth it, they last at least 3 years. Change your coolant annually: the aluminium radiator in my 999s gave up on me half way between HH and Phuket, necessitating a call out to K. Boyd again, and more money in his account. If buying a 2nd hand water cooled Duke, do this maintenance immediately.

3. Unlike a Honda Scoopy or Click, Ducatis are NOT weather proofed very well. I have had many problems over the years with water getting into coils, and more often than not, the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) on the injected bikes (Being the 2002 Supersport, 999s and the 1198). The Paul Smart LE I rode from Singapore to CM, and from Penang to Krabi in the pissing rain. Miserable riding. Anyhow got a local to wash the bike, and thinking it was a baby elephant he walked it into a small stream and used a bucket to wash it. Next day it farted and belched, and eventually dried out, but not before I pig-rooted all the way to Phuket... 6 months later the TPS died. Same on the 2002 900 SuperSport. The 1198 used to need resetting of the ECU if it got seriously wet. The lesson here is wash the bike with care.. don't hit it with a water blaster, or garden hose around the electrics. If you are half a decent mechanic, seal the coils, seal around the TPS and other electrics with what ever you have thats appropriate: I used dielectric grease, a plastic coating spray, electrical tape... what ever works. Designed in Europe, they are not capable of dealing with long rides in tropical down pours or being washed like an elephant... So really take care around water.

4 Lastly don't trust everything you read on forums, or you local mechanic. Ducati ownership is not like owning generic Jap shit (thats for the hater on the Hyabusa who seems so intent on telling us why we shouldn't own Dukes). Buy from Ebay the service manual for your bike on DVD. (It will cost you about 300B).The Ducati Service manual is amazingly good. Clear photos, with colour coded hoses imposed on the photos so you get it all right. I am not suggesting you become a mechanic, but you will be well served by being capable of diagnosing the problems, if not fixing them.

Hope this helps.

sorry to hear all those problems. these problems you describe are spoken as 'ducatis have soul' by the owners and mechanics:) so your bikes had a lot of soul i guesslaugh.png

it looks like the jap shits with your terms which i use for long years has none of the problems you mentioned. yeah a hose might blow at times but maybe every 5 - 10 years.

Instead of getting all these problems, prefer a non problematic bike to have a blast. especially in a country like Thailand.

Yeah, being a ducatisti is not easy especially if you own an old model and if you need to rely on mechs in Thailand but i believe newer models does not have the problems of the old ducs you mentioned. some friends have the hypermotard and ducati 899 and they have no issues and these bikes are much more solid apart from some small glitches which are normal.

I believe Audi ownership is a blessing for Ducati.

Edited by ll2

Hope this helps.

sorry to hear all those problems. these problems you describe are spoken as 'ducatis have soul' by the owners and mechanics:) so your bikes had a lot of soul i guesslaugh.png

it looks like the jap shits with your terms which i use for long years has none of the problems you mentioned. yeah a hose might blow at times but maybe every 5 - 10 years.

Instead of getting all these problems, prefer a non problematic bike to have a blast. especially in a country like Thailand.

Yeah, being a ducatisti is not easy especially if you own an old model and if you need to rely on mechs in Thailand but i believe newer models does not have the problems of the old ducs you mentioned. some friends have the hypermotard and ducati 899 and they have no issues and these bikes are much more solid apart from some small glitches which are normal.

I believe Audi ownership is a blessing for Ducati.

No need to feel sorry for the problems! If you look really its only 2 major problems, (Gasohol and Non-tropical waterproofing) that caused the issues. I did 55,000k on the Paul Smart, 10,000 on the 2002 900SS, 15,000 on the 999s and 20,000 on the 1198 and over every type of road you get in Thailand... I am happy with all of them!

Even the new 899 and Hypertmotards and Monsters will NOT love Gasohol if not ridden regularly. And the hoses should still be changed out on the water cooled bikes. Its cheap insurance.

I can promise you this: Leave a Jap bike with Gasohol in the tank unridden long enough and you will encounter the same issues. It needs to be continually flushed through to avoid issues.

Yes they all had a lot of soul, and not all of them were old: the 1198 came out in 2009, mine was a 2010, so pretty new. I am in no means "off" Ducatis. The above was meant to be tips for those new to the marque in SE Asia. I still own a 1993 900SS and went to check out a Hyperstrada today at Ducati Hua Hin. I liked it, but noted that it had been "lowered" for Thailand consumers. I am not overly tall at 5'10", and could easily swing my leg over and get both feet flat on the ground. The only issue I noted is getting the right foot NOT to hit the RH Pannier on the way over.. And judging by the scuff marks I was not the only one who hit it with their boot. I will take it for a test ride in the next couple of days, see how I like it. Seemed so small after a sports bike!

Also threw a leg over the Multistrada (Pikes Peak Version.) Loved it! But at double the price of the Hyperstrada? I can't see it... Not for what I want. I love the back twisties, like the roads behind K-buri etc. I think the Hyperstrada is better suited. For a long haul, the M-strada would be ideal.

Will let you know which way I go. I got a BMW (Car) 330i and a Yamaha SR400 to sell first.

I think it vary much from model to model.

My pcx is often left for 2 month unused (running on e10 only) and it always fires right up and it's from 2012, tank never cleaned no hoses changed, only oil and filter now and again.

I was once at a HD shop and they were cleaning the injectors on a v-rod and the cheif mecanic told me that they don't like to be left unused or you will get problems starting it if running on gasohol.

• Like 1

F0xxee, good points re. Gasohol and jetwashing but this affects all bikes, not just Ducati's. If I wanted a workhorse that I could use and abuse I'd buy another generic Jap bike (I love Jap bikes by the way). But If I wanted a bike that makes me grin from ear to ear every time I rode it, looks amazing, sounds awesome, makes me want to ride every day, I'd buy a Ducati. It's like choosing that unbelievably sexy girl that you just CANNOT get out of your head or the "kind of" attractive reliable one that you don't really fancy but is easy to pull.

Just as a warning, don't get into a debate with ll2 about Honda vs. anything. He'd take a cbr150 over a Desmosedici because the service intervals were longer. Or the kpl was better. Or the seat was more comfy. No offense ll2 but you know I'm right smile.png

Honda FTW.

I find Ducatis incredibly sexy....but if one is to pay that much for a bike, one should be able to ride it all the time. Do the BMW bikes have similar issues? I know that they don't have the same "soul", but similar price range and capabilities, so that's why I ask.

F0xxee, good points re. Gasohol and jetwashing but this affects all bikes, not just Ducati's. If I wanted a workhorse that I could use and abuse I'd buy another generic Jap bike (I love Jap bikes by the way). But If I wanted a bike that makes me grin from ear to ear every time I rode it, looks amazing, sounds awesome, makes me want to ride every day, I'd buy a Ducati. It's like choosing that unbelievably sexy girl that you just CANNOT get out of your head or the "kind of" attractive reliable one that you don't really fancy but is easy to pull.

Just as a warning, don't get into a debate with ll2 about Honda vs. anything. He'd take a cbr150 over a Desmosedici because the service intervals were longer. Or the kpl was better. Or the seat was more comfy. No offense ll2 but you know I'm right smile.png

Honda FTW.

I find Ducatis incredibly sexy....but if one is to pay that much for a bike, one should be able to ride it all the time. Do the BMW bikes have similar issues? I know that they don't have the same "soul", but similar price range and capabilities, so that's why I ask.

Yes, gasohol will cause issues to many different brands of bike, not just Ducati. And blasting bikes at close range with high powered water jets will also damage other brands of bike.

BMW's have their own issues. While looking into the S1000RR I've heard of quite a few of them blowing up, issues with the switch gear, soft rims etc. All bikes have issues. Not to mention the local dealer support here in Thailand which has been less than stellar to put it mildly.

There's no guarantee a Ducati won't have any issues, same as there is no guarantee with the other brands. But the actual owners I've spoken to who have bought bikes in the last couple of years are very happy with them and any issues have been minor. Maybe Audi's influence? Don't know. The dealerships are very professional here as well.

Hi II2,

Fair comments too. Each to their own. I never forget Ducati were particularly uncaring to one of my own (Casey Stoner) in order to secure Valentino Rossi's name for Ducati. Which, as it turns out was a retrograde step for them.

• Like 1

no, you are not right jonny:)

just be fair, there were no mention of Honda at foxxee's post but a shitty remark to all japanese bikes while his ducatis was rotting from gasohol and tropical weather and having some problems.

Dont get me wrong. If someone says strong words like 'Italians bikes are immature horse shit machines' i will be there as well same as this as i dont believe these kind of remarks.

Moreover, i really dont like when people see some brands superior than others just bc they are a specific brand, build in Italy and expensive or when someone says ' Oh only Italian bikes have souls others have not'

i find these kind of comments utter BS especially while those japanese bikes are winning nearly all championships for 30 years or being a best sellers or when i think the additions of Japanese manufacturers to motorcycle world and history - for example Honda cb750 is the first motorcycle agreed and called as superbike in 1969 - 45 years ago!

Yes, i love the design of 899, who does not? it looks and sounds great and sexy and it is a looker but dont forget once you sit on it, the fun factor you can extract from it is inline with your riding skills and fun is always in the eye of the beholder.

Soul? who cares soul or sexiness or design if you can get a lot of fun from your bike! japanese or italian or martian!

Have you ever owned and/or ridden a modern day Ducati for a significant amount of time?

just be fair, there were no mention of Honda at foxxee's post but a shitty remark to all japanese bikes while his ducatis was rotting from gasohol and tropical weather and having some problems.

Dont get me wrong. If someone says strong words like 'Italians bikes are immature horse shit machines' i will be there as well same as this as i dont believe these kind of remarks.

Moreover, i really dont like when people see some brands superior than others just bc they are a specific brand, build in Italy and expensive or when someone says ' Oh only Italian bikes have souls others have not'

i find these kind of comments utter BS especially while those japanese bikes are winning nearly all championships for 30 years or being a best sellers or when i think the additions of Japanese manufacturers to motorcycle world and history - for example Honda cb750 is the first motorcycle agreed and called as superbike in 1969 - 45 years ago!

Yes, i love the design of 899, who does not? it looks and sounds great and sexy and it is a looker but dont forget once you sit on it, the fun factor you can extract from it is inline with your riding skills and fun is always in the eye of the beholder.

Soul? who cares soul or sexiness or design if you can get a lot of fun from your bike! japanese or italian or martian!

Have you ever owned and/or ridden a modern day Ducati for a significant amount of time?

Are you asking me? or II2 or JonnyF? Me yes.

rode some but never owned one.

love to own a 899 or hypermotard.

and still considering buying a hypermotard for my city rides, dont get it wrong.

i like new ducati bikes especially after Audi bought Ducati which is a blessing.

Honda FTW.

Yes, gasohol will cause issues to many different brands of bike, not just Ducati. And blasting bikes at close range with high powered water jets will also damage other brands of bike.

BMW's have their own issues. While looking into the S1000RR I've heard of quite a few of them blowing up, issues with the switch gear, soft rims etc. All bikes have issues. Not to mention the local dealer support here in Thailand which has been less than stellar to put it mildly.

There's no guarantee a Ducati won't have any issues, same as there is no guarantee with the other brands. But the actual owners I've spoken to who have bought bikes in the last couple of years are very happy with them and any issues have been minor. Maybe Audi's influence? Don't know. The dealerships are very professional here as well.

Fair enough. I don't really follow the "expensive" bikes that much to know reliability rates.

Here's hoping that Ducats can shed their reputation better than Harley Davidson could/can.