Ducati Hypermotard/Hyperstrada 2013 Thailand

ll2

Welcome to Ducati. You need to learn how to change gears in order not to get false neutrals. If I don't pay attention on my MTS, I also easily end up in neutral.

I used to get false neutrals on the Duc usually up around the 4, 5,& 6th gear range but I put it down to sloppy shifting. I always tried positive shifting but would often get lazy.

I never get false neutrals on the Gixxer.

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ 599 might be a bit too optimistic.smile.png

Now it sells for 999. If it could sell at 699 it wouldn't be bad.

a 499 k ducati hypermotard was also sounding optimistic 6 months ago!

there are 3000$ between motard and 899 (usa)

Welcome to Ducati. You need to learn how to change gears in order not to get false neutrals. If I don't pay attention on my MTS, I also easily end up in neutral.

I used to get false neutrals on the Duc usually up around the 4, 5,& 6th gear range but I put it down to sloppy shifting. I always tried positive shifting but would often get lazy.

I never get false neutrals on the Gixxer.

I bought a Pro-Shift kit for mine to resolve the false neutral issues on my 999S.

Sent from my SM-T211 using Tapatalk

B1ade, I think the false neutrals is a break in thing, I almost never get them anymore. Got them a lot in the first 1000 km.

Bike is still awesome I've somehow racked up over 4,500 kms now. I guess I like riding it wink.png

The only little issue that has developed is that she doesn't like to start sometimes. Haven't quite figured out what the conditions are but it seems to happen more when the bike is warm. It doesn't start on the first try. Usually does on the second, and sometime third. It's not happening with enough regularity to take it to the dealer just yet.

I think the quality is fine overall - I am truly impressed with heat management, as the bike runs much cooler than any of the 650 Kawasakis I had. Dissipates the heat just fine IMO.

Did the Ducati DRE riding experience basic course last week. Was great, and I was impressed by the professional organization. Very good instructors, and lots of them, spoke perfect English, and all participants improved visibly during the day.

Welcome to Ducati. You need to learn how to change gears in order not to get false neutrals. If I don't pay attention on my MTS, I also easily end up in neutral. Concerning the warm starts, my MTS also has that same issue.

When hot, it also isn't that happy to start but it will always start after a few turns of the start motor. Just keep the button in a second or so longer. Are you saying that you have to give it another try (push the button again)? Or it just takes longer on the first try?

Tried to leave it in longer and it sometimes works. Had to try 3x on occasion, and 2x pretty often.

Ducati CM considered it a fault and ordered some new part for me, not sure which.

They also warned me not to push start it should it really not fire up, apparently something can break when push starting.

Tried to leave it in longer and it sometimes works. Had to try 3x on occasion, and 2x pretty often.

Ducati CM considered it a fault and ordered some new part for me, not sure which.

They also warned me not to push start it should it really not fire up, apparently something can break when push starting.

I'll be interested to see what kind of service you get on your warranty repair. I'm on my second Ducati, Monster and Diavel, and I haven't had any problems with either one but I have a friend who is a Ducati owner also and he had some issues with his warranty repair, seems that it took much longer than it should to get the parts in. Please let us know how your repair goes.

I'll be interested to see what kind of service you get on your warranty repair. I'm on my second Ducati, Monster and Diavel, and I haven't had any problems with either one but I have a friend who is a Ducati owner also and he had some issues with his warranty repair, seems that it took much longer than it should to get the parts in. Please let us know how your repair goes.

I just remembered that I did have a regulator on my 848 break in the first year (having said earlier it never let me down!), it was making the headlights flicker, took it to ducati phuket, part came from bkk in a couple of days, all fixed under warranty. So the 1 warranty experience i had was a good one

The Yamaha MT-08 will give the hypermotard a run for its money if it is released in Thailand but it has styling issues you would need to overcome.

MT-09...The 08 is the FZ8N which is already available. If priced right the MT-09 could be a great alternative, also had great reviews.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Orders are already been taken for the MT-09 with a money back price guarantee (If prices are unreasonable refunds will be offered). If it's priced right is will be a good bike. But despite being lighter than the Kawa, it's not as efficient from start to stop. On paper it looks quicker, but it isn't.

Edited by BBJ

• 4 weeks later...

Personally I think the CBR1000rr, even in a restricted state, is in a different league than the other 2 bikes.

A salesman at Suzuki recently sold his Hyperstrada after only a month due to its lack of power.

Admittedly his previous bike was a Hayabusa...

Suzuki GSX-R1000 L3 182 hp in-line 4 Superbike

Personally I think the CBR1000rr, even in a restricted state, is in a different league than the other 2 bikes.

A salesman at Suzuki recently sold his Hyperstrada after only a month due to its lack of power.

Admittedly his previous bike was a Hayabusa...

I'll agree that the CBR1000rr isn't in the same league but I think that the buyer who is looking at a Hypermotard or Hyperstrada isn't interested in the most power, they are looking for a tractable bike that can be ridden in city traffic easily, do some touring comfortably, etc. If they wanted one of the superbikes with corresponding power they would be leaning toward a Hyabusa, Paningale, etc.

A Hyperstrada is okay for city riding and short jaunts but not for serious touring. The Strada I'm not sure about but The Hypermotard has very wide handlebars and is totally unsuited to lane-splitting.

The new Monster would be better but with all these three bikes, boredom will eventually set in and there'll be a need for something bigger and better.

Edited by H1w4yR1da

A Hyperstrada is okay for city riding and short jaunts but not for serious touring. The Strada I'm not sure about but The Hypermotard has very wide handlebars and is totally unsuited to lane-splitting.

The new Monster would be better but with all these three bikes, boredom will eventually set in and there'll be a need for something bigger and better.

What a bunch of nonsence.

Not all of us wants +180hp and 1000cc 4 Cyl bikes, I am one of them.

I don't like 4 Cyl on a bike, no soul (well for me) and I find sports bikes not suitable for anything but going like a mad.

One u-tube clip shows a well known MC tester taking the Hyperstrada from the UK to Portogal and back and he was very happy with it.

I can't give you the link as I have very slow conn here over seas work right now, but goggle will show you.

• Like 1

hypermotard for city and inline four for the rest.

superb combination for me.

Both configurations have some nice ways but my vote also goes for reliability and ease of use especially in Thailand where getting parts fast and finding good mechs are not that easy.

still might get an hypermotard for the city this year or beginning of next one as i like this bike but scared of possible problems of Italian quality really.

If a Hypermotard is just not your thing then its perhaps time to go to another thread?!

And who died and made you daddy?

If I wish to comment or ask questions on either the Hyperstrada or the Hypermotard, I'll do so. After all, the last time I checked, that's what a forum's for. Differing opinions come with the territory.

For me the Hyper is perfect because its so small for the city - yes it can split lanes just fine thankyouverymuch

Which Hyper? I can't be arsed to scroll back. The guys I rode with on Hypermotards couldn't fit through the gaps that sportsbikes could due to their wide handlebars. They had real difficulties with Bangkok traffic.

I can see the Strada being more city friendly but haven't seen one up close yet.

A word to the wise on Ducs in Thailand. The scheduled service charges are okay during the first 24k klms but soar when the bikes get any kind of high mileage on them. I remember paying over 25k฿ one time.

Both configurations have some nice ways but my vote also goes for reliability and ease of use especially in Thailand where getting parts fast and finding good mechs are not that easy.

still might get an hypermotard for the city this year or beginning of next one as i like this bike but scared of possible problems of Italian quality really.

I think Ducati's reliability has improved but not up to Jap level yet. IMO Ducati Thonglor was an excellent place for customer service but things started to change once they started selling Thai-made bikes hand over fist. They lost their personal touch a bit but still to be recommended. I was aware one of their mechanics trained in Italy and also trains others in the Asia-Pacific region. The others there who have limited English skills I'm more wary about.

I still reckon the Monster is a better city bike but each to his own.

Edited by H1w4yR1da

Over the years I have owned 43 bikes I dont like UJM 4cyl engines yes very efficient ,fast ,reliable but bland and souless,,and I have owned 8 over the years .

i lie twins, triples and V4s , etc currently own Ducatis ,, totally reliable , mines been to Malaysia, laos,cambodia ,even Burma , and all over europe ,, no problems .

• Like 1

I was seriously thinking about getting the Hyperstrada, I think that it is a great all-around bike along with the Hypermotard and it's also good for limited touring. I have a Ducati Diavel and love it and I had a Monster before that, both great bikes and I never had any problems with either one of them. But riding any of the superbikes across the city in 36 degree weather is a chore no matter the bike so I was looking at a second bike that would be better suited for city commuting along with the occasional trip. I think that the Hyperstrada/Hypermotard wouldn't be a bike that you would tire of easily, I think that they would make their owner happy for a very long time.

In the end I bought a Honda CB500F, not anything like the Hyperstrada I was also considering, 47hp compared to 110hp and the brakes, frame, etc. isn't even in the same league. I guess the price and the way it looks with the panniers attached along with the low seat height sold me. Maybe down the road I'll wish I had bought the Hyperstrada with the vastly better performance, we will see smile.png . The Diavel is great for day cruises and the CB500F is a great commuter and sport tourer for short trips.

Right! Soul.

I used to ride Ducatis and was into this old 'Soul' thing. My bike had a soul that mass produced Jap bikes didn't possess, blah blah.

That was until I worked out 'soul' in a bike was a load of <deleted>, and basically translated as "it keeps breaking down".

My radiator's leaking, my VR is on the blink, the battery is not recharging, my coolant has leaked into the engine oil.... yeah, it had bucket loads of soul.

Inline-4 cylinder bikes are just better machines IMHO and they don't all have to be litre bikes. Okay I'm biased as I ride with R1's, Hayabusa, R6's, s1000rr's etc. and I just don't get the appeal of the Hyperstrada or Hypermotard. Maybe someone can explain it to me.

I guess there are people who buy a big bike and don't get bitten by the speed bug and the need to go faster on bigger and better machines.

I always thought they were just Hardley riders!

Buy a litre inline-4 superbike in Thailand. Add a full set of leathers and you've got yourself a free sauna and gym workout included in the ride. 55!

My GSXR has given me arms and shoulders like a linebacker. But hasn't done much for my belly though.

It has to do a lot with your body shape. These Hypers are fairy small and narrow bikes. If you are a heavy guy, you won't feel comfortable on them.

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/92-hypermotard/ (if you want to know why poeple buy these bikes you could have a look here)

Edited by Nickymaster

I was seriously thinking about getting the Hyperstrada, I think that it is a great all-around bike along with the Hypermotard and it's also good for limited touring. I have a Ducati Diavel and love it and I had a Monster before that, both great bikes and I never had any problems with either one of them. But riding any of the superbikes across the city in 36 degree weather is a chore no matter the bike so I was looking at a second bike that would be better suited for city commuting along with the occasional trip. I think that the Hyperstrada/Hypermotard wouldn't be a bike that you would tire of easily, I think that they would make their owner happy for a very long time.

In the end I bought a Honda CB500F, not anything like the Hyperstrada I was also considering, 47hp compared to 110hp and the brakes, frame, etc. isn't even in the same league. I guess the price and the way it looks with the panniers attached along with the low seat height sold me. Maybe down the road I'll wish I had bought the Hyperstrada with the vastly better performance, we will see smile.png . The Diavel is great for day cruises and the CB500F is a great commuter and sport tourer for short trips.

Wouldn't the Diavel make a pretty good tourer?

I was on a trip with a bunch of Diavels - maybe 10 of them - and was very much impressed with their performance - you could also say I had no clue this is actually a really good bike 555... ignorance.....

One guy in particular was whipping that enormous rear tire up the mountain at amazing speeds. He also had a windscreen installed and told me he was comfortable cruising at 180 - 200. Credible too by the way he was riding, also because of his whole personality & his other bike is a HP4.

Personally I think the Honda 500s are a great choice for the city. You don't need more power, and they run so smooth. A bit boring, maybe ;)

My friend had a hypersrata and in city traffic on hot days the clutch would fail. I guess the hydraulics would give out. I was also surprised how stiff the clutch was as i always thought hydraulic was suppose to be easy. I dont know if they are all like this just the one i know.

My friend had a hypersrata and in city traffic on hot days the clutch would fail. I guess the hydraulics would give out. I was also surprised how stiff the clutch was as i always thought hydraulic was suppose to be easy. I dont know if they are all like this just the one i know.

Ugh, that sounds horrible!

No such issues on my Hypermotard, has seen plenty of city traffic...

Not all of us wants +180hp and 1000cc 4 Cyl bikes

Yes you do! You just don't know it yet! smile.png

I was on a trip with a bunch of Diavels - maybe 10 of them - and was very much impressed with their performance - you could also say I had no clue this is actually a really good bike 555... ignorance.....

One guy in particular was whipping that enormous rear tire up the mountain at amazing speeds. He also had a windscreen installed and told me he was comfortable cruising at 180 - 200. Credible too by the way he was riding, also because of his whole personality & his other bike is a HP4.

Yes, the Diavel would be the best of the bunch for touring IMO and it has the old 1098 engine I think. No slouch but it's one heavy bike.

II2, I can't understand your fascination for middleweights. You're a rider whose skillset has obviously outgrown the CBR500 and you really should be moving up to litre-bikes where your advanced riding skills will be more suited. No offence!

Right! My old S2R Monster's clutch failed in central Bangkok on a very hot day years back. The Duc mechanic said the hydraulic fluid had overheated!!

Edited by H1w4yR1da

Right! My old S2R Monster's clutch failed in central Bangkok on a very hot day years back. The Duc mechanic said the hydraulic fluid had overheated!!

You know old habits die hard but from racing days

many years ago I am so conditioned to not hold the clutch in when stopped.

In those days clutches plates would go quick due to high rpm ( non-hydraulic )so to save them

at the starting line as soon as we pulled up to it we would get into neutral

& let it out. Only when the card/flag went sideways, meaning launch in 10 or less seconds

would we engage the clutch.

Till today I have the same habit.If at a stop or light I never have the clutch in

but am in neutral till I see yellow on the cross light.

Of course that does not mean my fingers are not ready & my eye watching the back too.

If need be I can move quick out of trouble + have positioned as best I can already.

Slightly to side of car in front etc.

Edited by mania

II2, I can't understand your fascination for middleweights. You're a rider whose skillset has obviously outgrown the CBR500 and you really should be moving up to litre-bikes where your advanced riding skills will be more suited. No offence!

You are right on what you are saying on skill set/bike combination but we live in Thailand.

I still regret not buying the cbr1000rr actually at times but also feel good at the same time on buying an easier, more comfortable and cheap to run/service bike - new honda cbr650f - conflict of emotions and reality lets say.

I like my bike carry me not like i am carrying a bike.

I know i will feel bored on cbr650f also after some time but i am sure that time, there will be a supersport bike here for cheap - i hope.

The reason i did not buy the cbr1000rr as i feel it will be to much for me. Dont forget, i commute 80 percent with my bike and on unbelievable roads with potholes that can swallow a bike, metal plates, squeezed traffic etc. With cbr1000rr, it means lots of clutch slipping, revving on 1st gear, hot engine, crippling ergonomics etc. Not to mention, you screw those nice upside down fork fast and other sensitive components plus very tight turning radius will make my commute like hell.

19 percent, i tour with my bike on bad highways. With cbr1000r, it means crippling ergonomics with firm suspensions on potholes for hours and hours and not great for two up as well - i mostly prefer to carry a small girlfriend - max 40 kg - on the back then spending time on finding one on where i am headingbiggrin.png

1 percent i go to track. Yes, there cbr1000rr is the right bike.

so a cbr1000r does not fit my bill for a high percentage still i love to own one right now which is another thing!

not a supersport but a cbr650f is still fine with close to 90 hp and lots of torque down.

Yeah I gave up trying to commute on the Ducati and then the GSXR. Not because of the traffic so much but the godawful road conditions around my way.

Also I live near the sea and the floodwater is highly saline and that's real bad.

Yeah I gave up trying to commute on the Ducati and then the GSXR. Not because of the traffic so much but the godawful road conditions around my way.

Also I live near the sea and the floodwater is highly saline and that's real bad.

no worries, i can keep up with my cbr650f better with you guyslaugh.png

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, the Diavel would be the best of the bunch for touring IMO and it has the old 1098 engine I think. No slouch but it's one heavy bike.

Diavel is 1200cc and 162 HP all geared for torque. That is one serious bike. Pretty heavy at 240kg wet of course. Almost as heavy as the Z800... 555

In Hypermotard news, got my windscreen installed, wonderful. The bike has transformed from a hooligan motard to a mini-multistrada. A mini hooligan tourer.

Recently pulled my first accidental wheelie. 2nd gear. I haven't gotten time to practice wheelies so this one just happened... inside the city too, whoops.

One surprise is that I am using the riding modes way more than I thought I would. I change mode about 3 or 4 times every day. Sports aka crazy mode when there's longer stretches of good road ahead, touring in the city or when lazy, urban in traffic jams.

Edited by nikster
  • Like 1

Diavel is 1200cc and 162 HP all geared for torque. That is one serious bike. Pretty heavy at 240kg wet of course. Almost as heavy as the Z800... 555

In Hypermotard news, got my windscreen installed, wonderful. The bike has transformed from a hooligan motard to a mini-multistrada. A mini hooligan tourer.

Recently pulled my first accidental wheelie. 2nd gear. I haven't gotten time to practice wheelies so this one just happened... inside the city too, whoops.

One surprise is that I am using the riding modes way more than I thought I would. I change mode about 3 or 4 times every day. Sports aka crazy mode when there's longer stretches of good road ahead, touring in the city or when lazy, urban in traffic jams.

I've owned a Diavel for a year now and IMO it isn't much of a touring bike. I think that they are made to look great and be fast which they are. The small radiators (size sacrificed for styling) mean that they get very hot here in Thailand with our very long waits at stoplights and rush-hour city traffic.

I think that you made a wise decision with the Hypermotard, plenty of power and not to large that you can't crawl around through city traffic, I'm sure that you will get a lot of enjoyment out of it.

Hi I am in the process of moving to Thailand this year to live. I have always promised myself when that day comes that I would buy myself

a bike that I could have fun but more importantly do a bit of touring on. We have a home and a farm down south and my plan was to hit

the road when cabin fever sets in. I am 52 and only have ever road small bikes so maybe nervous of buying a bigger bike but what I have

read maybe the Hyperstrada is the bike to buy. Have any experienced members have advice for me please is this a good choice .

Edited by blowin