Massaman curry -- where is the good stuff?

Jingthing

unfortunatly if your down south phang-nga -phuket way youl find fantastic curries there ..yes a muslim dish.excellant food..like trying to find a great indian curry here..still no joy..we had to go to vietnam to get ours..i gorged for 3 days until my stomach lining started to dissolve ....but it was worth the pain....or if you dont mind a little trip i suggest east london ...make sure there only cooking with one hand though..w00t.gif

Its true. The best Indian food is in London.

It is sad that Massaman curry is so disappointing in Bangkok and much of Thailand. I never see Thais eating it, but there it is in the food court. Probably the same one every day, just re-heated. The wife hates it. I quite like it, so will read thru this forum.

The best Indian food in South England is in East London. For the best in the England I would always say the Birmingham area is the best.

Outside of the UK I would say the best I've tasted is in Sri Lankla. Beautifully spiced with lots of flavours coming through.

If you're in Udon Thani area, then keep your eyes peeled for an addition to the frozen ready meals in Chern Chim Choice in a couple of weeks.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My mother in law has just made a large pot full, but sorry JT its made from chicken breast with large shaped potatoes but boy isit nice, talk nicely to me and may let you have a portion! (if there is any left)

My mother in law has just made a large pot full, but sorry JT its made from chicken breast with large shaped potatoes but boy isit nice, talk nicely to me and may let you have a portion! (if there is any left)

talk nicely to me and may let you have a portion! (if there is any left)

How about receiving an offer you can't refuse biggrin.png

Every Thai I know says the same thing, you will not get a decent massaman in any restaurant.

Any decent massaman needs to marinate overnight, if you are lucky you may find some place that cooks the night before and sells in the morning, usually eaten with roti.

These places that cook to order will leave you dissapointed.

If you like massaman, get your mrs to explain to you massaman boran, getting very difficult to find these days, usally sourced at Muslim markets.

Edited by rgs2001uk
  • Like 1

My house, the best in Thailand

I agree, it's probably one of the easiest Thai dishes to make and only takes about 40 minutes from cutting ingredients to spooning it into your mouth. Also you can double up on the chicken, potatoes and onions if you like all that solid stuff. I like to add chunks of pineapple and fresh chilies to mine which really sets it off.

Sent from my tin can via string.

I make my own after having tried some awful offerings.One had been pre-made,frozen and then microwaved when ordered and one thing i've found is that the potato doesn't come out to well after being frozen and then microwaved.

i've tried making my own and freezing it too, but you're correct that the potatoes just don't come out right after thawing.

However, I find out that massaman is like my dad's chili: the longer it stays in the fridge the better it tastes. About four to five days is max.

• Like 1

Baan Khanitha, Soi 53, Sukhumvit Rd, Bangkok (Thong Lor BTS, exit 1). I could eat their Massaman every night for a week. Seafood also wonderful. In the top 20 Bangkok restaurants so quite pricey, but the massaman is cheapest thing on the menu. Trust me I'm fat.

Baan Khanitha, Soi 53, Sukhumvit Rd, Bangkok (Thong Lor BTS, exit 1). I could eat their Massaman every night for a week. Seafood also wonderful. In the top 20 Bangkok restaurants so quite pricey, but the massaman is cheapest thing on the menu. Trust me I'm fat.

What do you pay for their massaman ?

WOW! clap2.gif

Actually I think I know the place but haven't tried their Massaman.

Somsakdi's Restaurant, yes?

http://pattayamail.com/diningout/somsakdi-revisited-7552

Went to Somsakdi's for lunch today (Tuesday 15th). Got there at 11:30 and we were the only customers. which made parking easier than I think it must be when they have many people there. Pleasant woman greeted us and took the order.

In deference to the comments in this thread I ordered the Massaman, but I got the beef, which I prefer, so I can't comment on whether they serve the chicken version on the bone or not. My friend ordered two things, one involving snails and the other eel. Couldn't tell you what they were named. I asked, but have since forgotten The lady got a few chuckles telling me the eel was just like snake. Both were OK, but the snails were a tad on the chewy side. In terms of taste, there wasn't much difference between the two.

Anyway, the Massaman was quite good. Decent sized chunks of beef that were very tender, plenty of potato and sauce. Served with the side dish of pickled ginger,thinly sliced cucumber & chili and, somewhat oddly, with a plate of lightly toasted bread chunks, presumably for dipping in the sauce. Never had the bread served to me before when ordering massaman and since it doesn't seem like something you'd expect with a Thai dish I assume it's either a concession to farang tastes or maybe traditional in the south ?? I would say the sauce was maybe a touch overwhelmed by cinnamon, whether by design, I don't know. It was certainly one of the best I've had, but I wouldn't claim to be that widely experienced a massaman taster.

• Like 2

WOW! clap2.gif

Went to Somsakdi's for lunch today (Tuesday 15th). Got there at 11:30 and we were the only customers. which made parking easier than I think it must be when they have many people there. Pleasant woman greeted us and took the order.

In deference to the comments in this thread I ordered the Massaman, but I got the beef, which I prefer, so I can't comment on whether they serve the chicken version on the bone or not. My friend ordered two things, one involving snails and the other eel. Couldn't tell you what they were named. I asked, but have since forgotten The lady got a few chuckles telling me the eel was just like snake. Both were OK, but the snails were a tad on the chewy side. In terms of taste, there wasn't much difference between the two.

Anyway, the Massaman was quite good. Decent sized chunks of beef that were very tender, plenty of potato and sauce. Served with the side dish of pickled ginger,thinly sliced cucumber & chili and, somewhat oddly, with a plate of lightly toasted bread chunks, presumably for dipping in the sauce. Never had the bread served to me before when ordering massaman and since it doesn't seem like something you'd expect with a Thai dish I assume it's either a concession to farang tastes or maybe traditional in the south ?? I would say the sauce was maybe a touch overwhelmed by cinnamon, whether by design, I don't know. It was certainly one of the best I've had, but I wouldn't claim to be that widely experienced a massaman taster.

Never had the bread served to me before when ordering massaman

Common enough, nothing to do with farang tastes, as I mentioned before, some will eat with roti, or bread.

Certainly sounds more like the real deal than some of the farangised places that exist.

BTW, if you ever get a chance try the goat or lamb massaman.

WOW! clap2.gif

Never had the bread served to me before when ordering massaman

Common enough, nothing to do with farang tastes, as I mentioned before, some will eat with roti, or bread.

Certainly sounds more like the real deal than some of the farangised places that exist.

BTW, if you ever get a chance try the goat or lamb massaman.

Have to admit my eating out experiences have fallen into a rut and, worse still, quite often we end up at places like Fuji's or MK because they're convenient for lunch when doing some shopping (and the MK at Big C North has a moderately decent crispy duck and Chinese kale). Even amongst the smaller, family run restaurants, we tend to always end up at the same favorites that lie within a limited distance from where I live.

So, I hope we can get more Pattaya forum threads started regarding restaurants and cuisine of note in Pattaya, preferably those that are off the (tour bus) beaten path ... although I did see that Somsakdi's is covered by Travel Advisor and apparently does have a tourist draw. Expanding my restaurant and food horizons seems a worthwhile new interest.

Edited by Suradit69

I am, by no means, an expert on Thai food, but I do like chicken Massaman curry. The best I have tried in Jomtien is at Timbo's restaurant, which is on the ground floor of Jomtien Beach Condos in building S2 ( stretching between Jomtien Beach Road and the new 2nd Road). It is on the bone, and 150 THB. They are on Google Maps app too, so not difficult to find.

WOW! clap2.gif

Exactly my experience. Went on Tuesday evening. Highly recommended by Thai wifey and I - but we don't get out much :)

Cheers

Edited by dogleg

Try Black & Red restaurant on Pattaya klang. If you're at Pattaya klang and 3rd road intersection procede down Pattaya klang about 1 block going toward the beach. It will be on the right side on the corner next to the ear doctor. Lots of other good dishes on the menu too.

Edited by Spaniel

Try Black & Red restaurant on Pattaya klang. If you're at Pattaya klang and 3rd road intersection procede down Pattaya klang about 1 block going toward the beach. It will be on the right side on the corner next to the ear doctor. Lots of other good dishes on the menu too.

Already mentioned on Page 1.

Better known as Daeng Dam.

Also a branch in the Avenue Shopping Mall.

Mussaman far too sweet for my palate.

• Like 1

I make my own after having tried some awful offerings.One had been pre-made,frozen and then microwaved when ordered and one thing i've found is that the potato doesn't come out to well after being frozen and then microwaved.

i've tried making my own and freezing it too, but you're correct that the potatoes just don't come out right after thawing.

However, I find out that massaman is like my dad's chili: the longer it stays in the fridge the better it tastes. About four to five days is max.

I have to agree with you about the longer it stays in the fridge the better it is as long as you dont freeze it.

Hats off to Sparklingcascades, good tip on Somsakdis on soi 1 in Pattaya. The beef massaman last night was extremely good, tender beef, subtle amount of peanuts, sprinkled dry onions on top, flavor was rich. The price seemed high when placing the order (250 baht) but the massaman wasn't made that moment, it definitely was simmering for hours and possibly days. In addition to the massaman I had morning glory, steamed fish with lemon and garlic. Great food, only 2 other customers, peaceful old thai style music. A complete gem of a restaurant although if it gets busy it might be less enjoyable ambiance but the food was great. Thanks again for sharing.

Already mentioned on Page 1.

Better known as Daeng Dam.

Also a branch in the Avenue Shopping Mall.

Mussaman far too sweet for my palate.

I noticed a Dang Dum branch on the corner if Theprasit Soi 8 too in Jomtien.

I tried the chicken Massaman at Surf Kitchen Jomtien.

It was OK, better than the place mentioned in the OP.

The chicken was in large chunks of breast meat and there were ample potatoes.

The curry was too bland and did taste of being made on the spot, rather than aged as is apparently desirable.

At 120 baht I couldn't complain but I also won't order the dish again. About the mediocre level of most of the Thai food at that place, with a few exceptions that are better.

Edited by Jingthing

JT ... Considering the quality (not the taste), given the price ... was it value?

Overall no because it was too boring. But I think it's good enough for tourists, and a good portion of chicken meat so it was food. coffee1.gif

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

I tried the chicken Massaman at Surf Kitchen Jomtien.

It was OK, better than the place mentioned in the OP.

The chicken was in large chunks of breast meat and there were ample potatoes.

The curry was too bland and did taste of being made on the spot, rather than aged as is apparently desirable.

At 120 baht I couldn't complain but I also won't order the dish again. About the mediocre level of most of the Thai food at that place, with a few exceptions that are better.

The Thais like it simmered with chicken legs. Gotta have those bones in there.

The Thai restaurant I used to visit in California served it on the bone and people complained. Didn't want the hassle, so they changed the recipe to diced chicken breast.

Edited by UncleJ