Thai Police officer clarifies 'tourist-beating' video

webfact

Surat Police Officer Clarifies 'Tourist-Beating' Video

By Khaosod English

beat.jpg

BANGKOK: -- As netizens criticised the behaviour of a group of Thai nationals seen beating a foreign couple in a video, a senior police commander of Surat Thani province insisted there is more, or less, to the story.

The said video, posted on Youtube on 11 October, showed a couple, believed to be foreign tourists, being shouted and beaten by group of Thais in front of Surat Thani′s K Park Grand Hotel.

Several foreigners could be seen watching the incident nearby, while some tried to break up the fight, to no avail.

It was claimed that the tourist couple refused to pay the fare for a local taxi as the price was overcharged, which enraged the Thais and led to the fistfights. Many comments in the website, and other social network sites, berate the Thai nationals for their aggressive behaviours against the tourists.

However, Pol.Col. Suwat Suksri, the commander of Mueang Surat Thani Police station, told Khaosod that the context of the incident is different to what the netizens understand.

According to Pol.Col. Suwat, the fight took place on the afternoon of 7 April this year. The police responded to the incident and apprehended six suspects, three Thais and three Bahraini tourists.

The police reportedly fined each of them 200 baht for engaging in fights, while the tourists were fined additional 5,000 baht for properties damages.

The Bahraini couple, Pol.Col. Suwat were travelling with a mutual friend in Surat Thani for their Honeymoon. While the trio was waiting for a bus in front of the bus company office at the scene, the Bahraini woman reportedly talked to a Thai man, and her newly married husband became angry and started trashing the bus company office.

Fistfights soon followed, the police officer said, and only ended when the police arrived, arresting everyone involved.

"I can′t see the intention behind uploading the clip, because the incident happened long ago," Pol.Col. Suwat added.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=6XoJu212zLs

Source: http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNNE1UWTFNamN5Tmc9PQ==

-- KHAOSOD English 2013-10-14

• Like 2

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seeing the video I don't really understand whats up(those Tourists and Thai same same) One thing with Thailand and south eastern Asia(major tourist places with greedy people) nr1, Rule you should always have encoded in your DNA, never ever forgot!!!When you jump into a taxi, haircut, what ever it might be. ALWAYS ask how much before you decide to buy/do it. Don't drop your guard cuz of that wide smile biggrin.png If you don't follow this simple rule. You can be lucky or really unlucky. they will come out with a fantasy price. They will lie to them self in their head that they are right. If the police finally comes: you will be the one that was stupid, cuz you didn't ask how much before. NO MATER how boring it is to ask. Always do it. It can save you a lot of trouble.

In BKK if you're unlucky you can have one of those gangster type of tuk-tuk or taxi drivers. here its most important to follow your code: ASK First. If he tells you don't worry you're my friend I give you good price, be prepared to fight when you reach your destination, if you don't want to pay. or jump out and take another one there are thousands. If you who look very Nordic blue eyed-white hair. I you tell them you are Russian. and try to look stiff like terminator with your sunglasses on. level of getting ripped of will recuse with high percentage.

You must understand that many taxi drivers could get fortunes in the old days if they found an afraid tourist and scared the crap out o him regarding the price, these gold digging times were before the compulsory taximeter many are angry because they used to earn a lot more before. even thai people got affected by their greedy in those days.

All those questions were you come from, what do you work with?Is to calculate how much money that can get from you. If you come ex: Scandinavia. They know you are friendly and 90% will not cause that much trouble just pay and move on. but if you say you're Russian or similar. they will think: hes blond looking but he will probably fight back and not agree to pay that kind amount. A reliable friend who lived in BKK long time. told me a lot regarding the "taxi bad boys"

There is a resent video of an American got killed in BKK:

(American hacked to death by taxi driver with samurai sword over $1.60 cab fare in Thailand)
  • Like 2

Do Thai people ever fight one on one?

They love ganging up on people 5 6 7 on 1

Fricken animals

Sounds like the tourists had to pay for damages to items that were

broken by their heads as the items were swung at them

Thai justice ...

More proof that 99% of taxi drives in Thailand are the scum of the earth

• Like 2

Fricken animals

Thai justice ...

Only in muay Thai fights.

Feel bad for the tourists. What a nice honeymoon. Remember that Thais don't consider them farang. They are other terms like kak kaow or kak dum. Who they dislike more than blonde hair blue eyed types. I have to admit some of them are racist. Please don't post some BS chart rating Thailand as most racist or violent.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I witnessed a dispute at a Thai owned business and the farang (very polite) demanded the police come to help settle the issue. The Thai manager went across the street and spoke to a policeman in a motorbike.

The police sent 6 motorbike taxi drivers instead and stood nearby.

Hoping to escalate the incident into a fight ....and make a few bucks?

I saw what was happening and spoke with the farang, explaining the police were not coming until the gang of Thais beat him to a pulp, then taken to jail to pay 10,000 or 20,000bt fine.

Edited by UncleJ
  • Like 1

I thought he was going to say that it was the foreigners' fault.

'the Bahraini woman reportedly talked to a Thai man ... the husband became enraged and started trashing the bus company'.

It's obvious, the Thais were just trying to put an end to the honeymooners' tiff and to prevent further damage.

Many comments in the website, and other social network sites, berate the Thai nationals for their aggressive behaviours against the tourists.

This part we know is basically true

While the trio was waiting for a bus in front of the bus company office at the scene, the Bahraini woman reportedly talked to a Thai man, and her newly married husband became angry and started trashing the bus company office.

This bit is a bit which is hard to believe, but Pol.Col. Suwat has his result, blame the farangs and make a bit of money on the side...

All is good in la la land for quality tourists

That wouldn't be hard to believe if they would have called the police or hold them till the police arrives, without beating and then overcharge them xx.000 Baht for damage.

The overcharge story is also strange. And I have seen tourists from Muslim countries which were very aggressive and always the Thais tried to calm it down.

So I wouldn't jump to the usual "the police is wrong" without knowing more.

• Like 1

I have never had a problem with a taxi driver, tuk-tuk driver, or motorbike taxi when we settled on the business beforehand. If a taxi driver fails to start the meter, then I get out immediately. These guys know they can screw you if you negotiate after the trip is made, thus the arguments.

• Like 1

I have never had a problem with a taxi driver, tuk-tuk driver, or motorbike taxi when we settled on the business beforehand. If a taxi driver fails to start the meter, then I get out immediately. These guys know they can screw you if you negotiate after the trip is made, thus the arguments.

yes I agree , when you confirm the price in advance there cannot be any problems.

Fricken animals

Thai justice ...

Only in muay Thai fights.

Feel bad for the tourists. What a nice honeymoon. Remember that Thais don't consider them farang. They are other terms like kak kaow or kak dum. Who they dislike more than blonde hair blue eyed types. I have to admit some of them are racist. Please don't post some BS chart rating Thailand as most racist or violent.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Are these events on the rise or we just accepting that Thailand is the hub of farang haters? (had to get that "hub" thing in there)

Many comments in the website, and other social network sites, berate the Thai nationals for their aggressive behaviours against the tourists.

This part we know is basically true

While the trio was waiting for a bus in front of the bus company office at the scene, the Bahraini woman reportedly talked to a Thai man, and her newly married husband became angry and started trashing the bus company office.

This bit is a bit which is hard to believe, but Pol.Col. Suwat has his result, blame the farangs and make a bit of money on the side...

All is good in la la land for quality tourists

Not hard to believe if you have Bahraini husband who smashed a CCTV camera in front of his hotel room. he accuse that the hotel is spying on his wife when she opens the room door to put out the plates. They paid for the damaged camera. " blame the farang " no no no. We should "blame the Thai" for putting up the CCTV in the hotel room corridor and "blame the Thai " for not running away when Bahrain women/ girl talks to you. ( I am not thai ) .
  • Like 1