Austrian man jumps to his death from Bangkok apartment

webfact

Foreigner Jumps Off His Apartment To Death: Police

By Khaosod Online

BANGKOK: -- A foreign man was found dead at his apartment building in Suan Luang district, Bangkok. The police believe he had committed suicide by jumping off the balcony in his room.

The incident took place in Soi Sukhumvit 77. Mr. Suchart Faesawad, 25, a security guard present at the scene, told the police that he was informed about a man standing at his balcony to commit suicide. However, Mr. Suchart said, once he arrived the man had already jumped off to his death.

Initial investigation reported that the dead, Mr. Erik Lelli, 42, was employed as a chef at a restaurant in Sukhumvit area. Initial investigation identified his nationality as Austrian.

Inside his apartment, police found no trace of any intruder, as the room was locked from inside.

Police said they had contacted the Austrian Embassy regarding Mr. Lelli’s death in order to inform his relatives about the incident and to question them further about Mr. Lelli’s motives behind the suspected suicide.

Although the case is suspected as a suicide, the police stress they did not rule out other possibilities. Post-Mortem investigation is scheduled to be conducted at Chulalongkorn Hospital within a few days.

Source: http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNNE1UYzBPREUwTXc9PQ==

-- KHAOSOD English 2013-10-14

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, where I come from we dont release the name to the media until it is confirmed that the family has been notified... and we never show gratuitious gore that benefits absolutely no one.

In this case I'll go ahead and claim our way is in fact better.

Specially at crimes I think it is good to tell the name.

In Europe we are already so political correct that most newspapers don't tell the nationality of a criminal unless he is European.

Why make it secret?

On suicide of course it makes less sense, but it isn't job of newspapers to keep things secret.

• Like 1

So sad.RIP

Snip>

The police believe he had committed suicide by jumping off the balcony in his room.

<Snip

Until more is known this should be considered as an unfortunate accident.

Excuse me, where I do come from, suicide is an act of will, accident an act of fate.

Very big difference between the two.

Whats with all these jumping by tourists and ex-pats all over Thailand it seems. if almost all of them are broken-heart-suicide-attempts. Very crazy but brave people who chose jumping from high buildings. One day I'm gonna look more into this and try to understand. why jump?I told my gf that one day it could be me who jumped o a broken heart.

she replied: You better chose a higher building then that Finnish man who wanted to jump from 1st or 2nd floor. Haha biggrin.png

• Like 1

Poor sod. What a bloody waste of a life.

I'm afraid I find it difficult to understand what depths of despair can drive a man (or woman) to see death as preferable to life. Most of us hit some pretty low points in our lives - I know I have - but it surely can never be so bad that it can't get better?

I suppose there is always the possibility that he was suffering from clinical depression, which I understand can make people quite irrational. Whatever, it really is a tragedy, both for him and for his family who have to pick up the pieces of his life. RIP.

I think many expat jumpers are those whose financial situation is so bad they no longer wish to deal with it, rather than relationship problems. Hard to understand in this case, as the young man had a full time job. This is speculation however, and it is a terrible situation for those emotionally involved.

Does it really happen more frequently in Thailand than in other places? It seems that way.

Poor sod. What a bloody waste of a life.

I'm afraid I find it difficult to understand what depths of despair can drive a man (or woman) to see death as preferable to life. Most of us hit some pretty low points in our lives - I know I have - but it surely can never be so bad that it can't get better?

I suppose there is always the possibility that he was suffering from clinical depression, which I understand can make people quite irrational. Whatever, it really is a tragedy, both for him and for his family who have to pick up the pieces of his life. RIP.

Sometimes people think they reach the bottom of the pit , just to find out there is no bottom .

Guess many people need more real mates in life .

Hope he found his peace .

• Like 2

So sad.RIP

Snip>

The police believe he had committed suicide by jumping off the balcony in his room.

<Snip

Until more is known this should be considered as an unfortunate accident.

Excuse me, where I do come from, suicide is an act of will, accident an act of fate.

Very big difference between the two.

OK you are excused.

I fully understand the difference between suicide and an accident.

The thing I do not know in this particular case was the reason for the fall.

The police believe....

What evidence do they have?

I cannot understand why you made your post.

Was it to get another count on your posts?

• Like 1

Yes - he did jump. It happened a few metres from my apartment and he landed a good few metres from the base of his block. I heard his yell and then a heavy thump.

The photo is taken after he was moved (he landed face down). No one else was in his apartment that one could see so I'd say - for once- the report is correct.

Unfortunately it took about 15 minutes before the first wailing 'ambulance' arrived and the guys didn't have a clue about medical aid - no effort to establish a pulse or if he was breathing. The second real ambulance arrived after another 5 minutes and they tried to revive him without success.

Having said that I feel that the guy died a minute or two after he landed and he must have wanted to end it anyway. I hope he has found a better place without whatever caused him to jump.

Thank you for the update as a person on site at the accident. I would, if I may, ask what did you actually witness. Did you go downstairs to see what was going on ? Did you look down from your balcony ? Did you see yourself anything that would suggest the man was alive ?

Again thanks for your update, but as an on the scene poster, maybe you might stick to what you witnessed. smile.png

Edited by I Like Thai
  • Like 2

Beileid an seiner Familie. Condolence to his family too. I've read so many jumping suicide and it's been increasing every year. How sad. sad.png I am sure if you guys need help , the problem will be solved, or at lease you talk and ask people you trust about the problem. It's not the best way to end up your life like this.

Tourist world and expat world are much different. Living in Thailand is also hard for Thai ppl , but harder for foreigner, even harder to have a good standard life like at home. And it's hard to find woman who loves you really, as long as you have money. Be careful with women who always talk or needs money, they need only money, and do everything to make a story to make you feel sorry and like to help, mostly they are not telling the truth.

And if you love this kind of women, love yourself too, dont give her 100% full of your heart...in this case I am not only talk about negative way, but I 've seen so many naive foreigners who died for nothing, think about your parents, your brother, sister first. They will live with the sorrow until the last day of their lives. SO SAD....to hear....sad.png

Beileid an seiner Familie. Condolence to his family too. I've read so many jumping suicide and it's been increasing every year. How sad. sad.png I am sure if you guys need help , the problem will be solved, or at lease you talk and ask people you trust about the problem. It's not the best way to end up your life like this.

Tourist world and expat world are much different. Living in Thailand is also hard for Thai ppl , but harder for foreigner, even harder to have a good standard life like at home. And it's hard to find woman who loves you really, as long as you have money. Be careful with women who always talk or needs money, they need only money, and do everything to make a story to make you feel sorry and like to help, mostly they are not telling the truth.

And if you love this kind of women, love yourself too, dont give her 100% full of your heart...in this case I am not only talk about negative way, but I 've seen so many naive foreigners who died for nothing, think about your parents, your brother, sister first. They will live with the sorrow until the last day of their lives. SO SAD....to hear....sad.png

What a load of......

OK your post number just went up by one....

Give it a rest will you!!!

New comers here would do well to read all the posts in a thread before they post!!!

Better yet start your own topic.

One of the most sincere forms of respect is actually listening to what another has to say.

Bryant McGill

Get it? Listen and say NOTHING!!!!!, save condolences!

If anyone should read this post and choose not to post anything other than condolences

I will be more than pleased.

Thank you reiltlin for your post:-

Come on guys...despair or whatever else the cause, this man is dead.He had a family..perhaps children who may one day read some of your less than sympathetic comments.Respect costs so little..

What is it with Thailand and jumpers? I've been around this marble a long time and I cannot recall of another country with as many jumpers as in Thailand.

What is it with people asking about what the link is with Thailand and jumpers? I'm guessing you need someone to spell it out.

For those who are seeing out their final days Thailand is a place where they can satisfy all manner of physical desires for relatively cheap prices and then proceed to take their life. Ie if your going out make sure you have a blast before you do.

Mr. Suchart said, once he arrived the man had already jumped off to his death.

Inside his apartment, police found no trace of any intruder, as the room was locked from inside

How did Mr. Suchart determine that Mr. Lelli had already jumped to his death if indeed the room was locked from the inside when the police arrived????

• Like 1

When I first moved into my new BKK apartment, I leaned over the balcony to watch some birds fighting on the balcony below.

I suddenly realized that my center of mass was way out over the balcony wall, which is much lower than any balcony walls I had experienced "back home". Had the floor been slippery that day, there may have been an article about my "suicide".

Just about every balcony I've been on in Thailand has a barrier lower than I'm accustomed to, except a few hotels where a bar was added later to prevent tragedies. Between low barriers and slippery floors, I suspect dozens or hundreds of unaware travelers have lost their lives here.

On another occasion, I was locked out of that same apartment when the key broke off in the lock. Having read on TV about all the balcony incidents, I decided not to go to the roof one floor up and climb down the flimsy fire escape ladder to enter through my balcony. Or this article could have been about me.

Condolences to the family. Losing a loved one is difficult, especially with the thought that they took their own life.

I'd bet on an accidental death myself.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 2

Yes - he did jump. It happened a few metres from my apartment and he landed a good few metres from the base of his block. I heard his yell and then a heavy thump.

The photo is taken after he was moved (he landed face down). No one else was in his apartment that one could see so I'd say - for once- the report is correct.

Unfortunately it took about 15 minutes before the first wailing 'ambulance' arrived and the guys didn't have a clue about medical aid - no effort to establish a pulse or if he was breathing. The second real ambulance arrived after another 5 minutes and they tried to revive him without success.

Having said that I feel that the guy died a minute or two after he landed and he must have wanted to end it anyway. I hope he has found a better place without whatever caused him to jump.

In the movies--people who do this are very quiet on their way to certain death- only people who slip/fall by accident -or are thrown off -are vocal

I wonder if this is so for the real thing-? just a point in question--I am not pointing fingers

42 years old--still a young man --all to live for---RIP

Edited by metisdead
30) Do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes, added emoticons, or altered wording.