Thailand's left-hand traffic 'impedes integration'

webfact

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spite & malice take their toll, again...they reacted against all things French after the Frogs stationed a gunboat next to the Grand Palace while taking most of Laos & Cambodia from them (Paknam, aka Samut Prakan, Incident, 1893)...never got over that...comes back to haunt them. ;-} rap. giggle.gif

Paknam Incident 1893

An interesting link - many thanks

I particularly like this bit - "On July 1, 1893, England send the Pallas from Singapore. The ship moored at the bar to protect British nationals and their interests, without any sign that it would give assistance to the Thais."

Glad to see that at least the Royal Navy got the priorities right ;)

• Like 1

Sweden did the same thing, at 4:30pm Sept 3rd 1967 they swapped the side of the street they were driving on. They did it for the exact same reason; to match sides with their neighbors. It's remained this way ever since. Were they stupid as well, or was it a good idea?

But could Swedes drive and did they follow the road rules back then. I think it would be far easier to convert a Swede than a Thai. Even today Thais have no idea of left or right just flash your lights and you can do what ever you please. It totally clears you of all wrong doing.

It's just a little dig at foreigners in reality.

If we drove on the other side, we'd be like the Chinese and the rest and more successful

Who is this we, that you refer to ?

Countries that drive on the left

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right-_and_left-hand_traffic#Left-hand_traffic

Alderney

Anguilla

Antigua and Barbuda

Australia

Bahamas

Bangladesh

Barbados

Bermuda

Bhutan

Botswana

Brunei

Cayman Islands

Christmas Island

Cocos (Keeling) Islands

Cook Islands

Cyprus[28]

Dominica

East Timor (drove on right 19281976)

Falkland Islands

Fiji

Grenada

Guernsey

Guyana

Hong Kong

India

Indonesia*

Ireland

Isle of Man

Jamaica

Japan (Okinawa 1978)

Jersey

Kenya

Kiribati

Lesotho

Macau

Malawi

Malaysia

Maldives

Malta

Mauritius

Montserrat

Mozambique

Namibia (1918)

Nauru (1918)

Nepal

New Zealand

Niue

Norfolk Island

Pakistan

Papua New Guinea

Pitcairn Islands

Saint Helena, Ascension and Tristan da Cunha

Saint Kitts and Nevis

Saint Lucia

Saint Vincent and the Grenadines

Samoa (2009)

Seychelles

Singapore

Solomon Islands

South Africa

Sri Lanka

Suriname

Swaziland

Tanzania

Thailand

Tokelau

Tonga

Trinidad and Tobago

Turks and Caicos Islands

Tuvalu

Uganda

United Kingdom

British Virgin Islands

U.S. Virgin Islands

Zambia

Zimbabwe

If we drove on the other side, we'd be like the Chinese and the rest and more successful

Alderney

Anguilla

Antigua and Barbuda

Australia

Bahamas

Bangladesh

Barbados

Bermuda

Bhutan

Botswana

Brunei

Cayman Islands

Christmas Island

Cocos (Keeling) Islands

Cook Islands

Cyprus[28]

Dominica

Falkland Islands

Fiji

Grenada

Guernsey

Guyana

Hong Kong

India

Indonesia*

Ireland

Isle of Man

Jamaica

Japan (Okinawa 1978)

Jersey

Kenya

Kiribati

Lesotho

Macau

Malawi

Malaysia

Maldives

Malta

Mauritius

Montserrat

Mozambique

Namibia (1918)

Nauru (1918)

Nepal

New Zealand

Niue

Norfolk Island

Pakistan

Papua New Guinea

Pitcairn Islands

Saint Kitts and Nevis

Saint Lucia

Samoa (2009)

Seychelles

Singapore

Solomon Islands

South Africa

Sri Lanka

Suriname

Swaziland

Tanzania

Thailand

Tokelau

Tonga

Trinidad and Tobago

Turks and Caicos Islands

Tuvalu

Uganda

United Kingdom

British Virgin Islands

U.S. Virgin Islands

Zambia

Zimbabwe

I think you will find that 80% of those countries are former British colonies or commonwealth.

I'm sure this must have been said in this thread already, but, Thailand's failure to integrate (with anyone) has nothing to do with which side of the road they drive on.

It is caused because the country is controlled by total numpties like the one making this announcement, and the millions of sheeple that have been brainwashed into believing them.

End of.

I've been working here in the defense industry off & on for the past 14 years.........Currently working with an agency.

They are complete idiots. No matter what I say, to try and help them, they just grin at me & continue to do it the Thai way.

They hire me because I'm an expert, to teach them, and then ignore everything I say.

I've tried to organize safety meetings.........it goes in one ear and out the other.

One pr1ck had the gall to tell me "Hahaha! This is Thailand!"

Fair enough. It is Thailand.

I've also been informed by upper management to never act angry.

================

I love living in Thailand, but working here is for the birds!!!!!

I can't get anything done on any kind of schedule. Even my Thai boss is perpetually late to any kind of meeting.

It gets to be absolutely ludicrous.

After 14 years and it still bothers you? The money must be good for you to endure this torture.

Go with the flow, remember you are living in the land of pushing water downriver with boat propellers.

Take the cash and smile every day.

Good luck. Now about those birds.............smile.png

I understand where he is coming from. I love my wife dearly but every once in a while I will say some thing and she will say I Thai as though that was an excuse for stupidity.

I agree also however, I feel they ain't quite found a problem with the leaders yet since the tax controls have not been tightened much. A bit more of that and the locals will be just as dissillussioned

I think changing lanes would be a good idea. I don't believe there's a need to change steering wheels to the other side of the car as others have suggested. Plenty of people in America have cars with right-side steering wheels and most of the Mail Delivery trucks are on the right hand side, too. I drive in both countries and it's no problem remembering what side to drive on. I think people should give Thai folks more credit than they're giving them. A year of training and public announcements leading up to the launch date should be enough to get everyone ready. Just saying! 

you appear to contradict yourself...

"I drive in both countries and it's no problem remembering what side to drive on." - so why bother changing????

He's American:-)

I may be more inclined to accept the point of these arguments if the two ASEAN member neighbors to the South did not also drive on the wrong side of the road. However, that is not my main concern.

You will remember Sweden switched from the wrong to the right side of the road several years ago--the Swedes heavily advertised the switchover for a couple of months beforehand, then at midnight one night, they made the switch. A few accidents were reported, but not many, and the switchover was made.

Let's suppose the powers that be in Thailand decide to switch driving to the right side of the road--how many, well, you fill in the blanks?

Already discussed and pointed out that mopst cars in Sweden were ALREADY LHD.

Interestingly, Burma/Myanmar changed over from driving on the left to driving on the right in 1970.

Wonder how many millions of cars with all the existing infrastructure and signage existed on Burmese roads 43 years ago?

Already mentioned that - it was allegedly because a monk influenced the government by telling them "something bad" would happen if they didn't.

....and as pointed out in 1970 the infrastructure and vehicle population is hadly comparable to that of Thailand in 2013 or beyond.

Alderney

Anguilla

Antigua and Barbuda

Australia

Bahamas

Bangladesh

Barbados

Bermuda

Bhutan

Botswana

Brunei

Cayman Islands

Christmas Island

Cocos (Keeling) Islands

Cook Islands

Cyprus[28]

Dominica

Falkland Islands

Fiji

Grenada

Guernsey

Guyana

Hong Kong

India

Indonesia*

Ireland

Isle of Man

Jamaica

Japan (Okinawa 1978)

Jersey

Kenya

Kiribati

Lesotho

Macau

Malawi

Malaysia

Maldives

Malta

Mauritius

Montserrat

Mozambique

Namibia (1918)

Nauru (1918)

Nepal

New Zealand

Niue

Norfolk Island

Pakistan

Papua New Guinea

Pitcairn Islands

Saint Kitts and Nevis

Saint Lucia

Samoa (2009)

Seychelles

Singapore

Solomon Islands

South Africa

Sri Lanka

Suriname

Swaziland

Tanzania

Thailand

Tokelau

Tonga

Trinidad and Tobago

Turks and Caicos Islands

Tuvalu

Uganda

United Kingdom

British Virgin Islands

U.S. Virgin Islands

Zambia

Zimbabwe

I think you will find that 80% of those countries are former British colonies or commonwealth.

THis is of courase true, but it is more likely the influence of Japan on countries like Thailand that kept them driving on the left.

I think the changeover in the US is more interesting.

I think changing lanes would be a good idea. I don't believe there's a need to change steering wheels to the other side of the car as others have suggested. Plenty of people in America have cars with right-side steering wheels and most of the Mail Delivery trucks are on the right hand side, too. I drive in both countries and it's no problem remembering what side to drive on. I think people should give Thai folks more credit than they're giving them. A year of training and public announcements leading up to the launch date should be enough to get everyone ready. Just saying!

"I drive in both countries and it's no problem remembering what side to drive on." - so why bother changing????

Yes, I'm an American, but that has nothing to do with my opinion. I'll drive on whatever side of the road the law tells me, I don't care. As for Thailand, this makes total sense if they want to integrate into ASEAN and do business with China. This is forward thinking that will pay dividends into the future. :-)

• Like 1

Most of ASEAN drive on the left.

As for the Chinese they couldn't care less what side of the road people drive on as long as there is money and influence to be gained.

The Japanese drive on the left and it didn't stop them building most of Americas cars and just about every other consumer product they want.

• Like 1

such a bloody non story from an upstart official. All this thread has achieved is the usual moaners moaning about:

- Thai driving habits ("they already drive on the other side of the road. hahahahahah, aren't I just so funny??")

- Some North American's who can' figure out that it isn't too hard to be on the other side of the car when driving.

- any other whinge someone can come up with, including a proposal to romanise the langage. <deleted>, it is only 44 little bloody letters and a few vowels you have to learn!

"I drive in both countries and it's no problem remembering what side to drive on." - so why bother changing????

Yes, I'm an American, but that has nothing to do with my opinion. I'll drive on whatever side of the road the law tells me, I don't care. As for Thailand, this makes total sense if they want to integrate into ASEAN and do business with China. This is forward thinking that will pay dividends into the future. :-)

Nearly 60% of the ASEAN population drive on the left.

"I drive in both countries and it's no problem remembering what side to drive on." - so why bother changing????

Bit of a whacky view of the world isn't it? Imagine the scenario at a future trade conference:

Thai PM: Hey, Mr Pres, we drive on the right now. How about that trade deal we've been wanting.

Chinese President: 'well why didn't you say so, here is another 40 trillion buck in trade...just cause you switched sides.."

I mean really, changing sides won't change a damn thing except the hundereds of millions it would cost to negotiate the change and retooling the road infrastructure.

Edited by samran

For the Chinese trucks to drive all the way to Nong Khai it would be a long way. god only knows when the high speed rail unit will be in Nong Khai.The Chiang Kong bridge is scheduled for opening in December. For sure the trucks will not go to Chiang Mai or the City of Chiang Rai. The Chinese are very quietly doing their thing in Laos and Northern Thailand with the help of the governments.

As 66% of the world which was never a commonwealth country drives on the other side maybe Thailand has decided to modernize.

Alderney

Anguilla

Antigua and Barbuda

Australia

Bahamas

Bangladesh

Barbados

Bermuda

Bhutan

Botswana

Brunei

Cayman Islands

Christmas Island

Cocos (Keeling) Islands

Cook Islands

Cyprus[28]

Dominica

Falkland Islands

Fiji

Grenada

Guernsey

Guyana

Hong Kong

India

Indonesia*

Ireland

Isle of Man

Jamaica

Japan (Okinawa 1978)

Jersey

Kenya

Kiribati

Lesotho

Macau

Malawi

Malaysia

Maldives

Malta

Mauritius

Montserrat

Mozambique

Namibia (1918)

Nauru (1918)

Nepal

New Zealand

Niue

Norfolk Island

Pakistan

Papua New Guinea

Pitcairn Islands

Saint Kitts and Nevis

Saint Lucia

Samoa (2009)

Seychelles

Singapore

Solomon Islands

South Africa

Sri Lanka

Suriname

Swaziland

Tanzania

Thailand

Tokelau

Tonga

Trinidad and Tobago

Turks and Caicos Islands

Tuvalu

Uganda

United Kingdom

British Virgin Islands

U.S. Virgin Islands

Zambia

Zimbabwe

THis is of courase true, but it is more likely the influence of Japan on countries like Thailand that kept them driving on the left.

Not at all. They did it having seen road layouts in the UK and to be anti French.

So called upper class Thais were enthralled with the UK all those years ago.

Left or right, the obstacle to integration is not a question about which side of the road the Thais drive, but

the way they drive!!w00t.gif

So all the vechicles we on a daily basis see driving on the wrong side of the road, are just drivers trying to promote integration??whistling.gif

Boring. Crying about how the Thai drives have been done 1000 times already. Find something else to complain about. And while you're at it, maybe you should become a driving instructor and show them how it's done.

• Like 1

I'd say that is a non-sequitur - as I've mentioned before the trade by road twixt UK and Europe has never shown the slightest concern for which side of the vehicle the driver sits on. Also in some countries like Switzerland, native RHD vehicles used to be very common due to the mountainous roads.

Not at all. They did it having seen road layouts in the UK and to be anti French.

Yes- but sadly that is rubbish. Try doing a bit of research.

On the list of obstacles to regional integration, what number is "driving on the 'wrong' side of the road".

It's enough of a problem to get the present driving laws adhered to.

400bt fine for driving a huge 2 trailer lorry on the wrong side of the road?

Fines are not the answer - or at least only part of it. Enforcement needs to be universal and consistent, but if the roads are set up properly stupid people of which EVERY country has about the same proportion - cannot get to do the stupid things they want to do.

the there "E's"

education

enforcement

ENGINEERING

Nice idea - not the real reason though.

A series of off-topic posts has been deleted. Continued remarks about other posters rather than addressing the topic will result in a suspension. Stay on topic. If you have nothing to say about the topic then feel free not to post.