92% rise in Chinese tourists visiting Thailand: Minister

webfact

Word from Wife's family who are traders of many things in Chiang Mai is that the Chinese want everything for nothing and consistently whinge about the prices of everything in Thailand. They say they will be telling their families and friends not to come because 'Thailan too expensive'.

• Like 1

A smart hotel General Manager would get ahead of the curve and make his/her hotel CHINESE language friendly.

Indeed. This smart hotel manager has already signed up for a 6-month Mandarin private tuition course smile.png

My hotels are too small to attract Chinese tour groups, but independant Chinese travellers make up about 70% of the guests, (5 years ago, that 70% figure was 'westerners'). Most of these Chinese speak little English and certainly no Thai language.

I generally find them ok, if rather loud. If my Thai staff tell them to keep the noise down, then they ignore the staff. If I tell them, they do as I have requested.

This clearly demonstrates that they either have respect for a 'farang' manager or are wary of a 'John Cleese' manager smile.png

Simon

Edited by simon43

Indeed. This smart hotel manager has already signed up for a 6-month Mandarin private tuition course xsmile.png.pagespeed.ic.4tUibSscbZ.webp

Simon 43 post # 33

My hotels are too small to attract Chinese tour groups, but independant Chinese travellers make up about 70% of the guests, (5 years ago, that 70% figure was 'westerners')

I generally find them ok, if rather loud. If my Thai staff tell them to keep the noise down, then they ignore the staff. If I tell them, they do as I have requested.

This clearly demonstrates that they either have respect for a 'farang' manager or are wary of a 'John Cleese' manager xsmile.png.pagespeed.ic.4tUibSscbZ.webp

Simon

More power to your elbow sir, pound to a pinch of the old proverbial you're not Thai as your actions are proactive not reactive.clap2.gif

They are in Chiang Mai in huge numbers. The one aspect I dislike most about that is that they are very incompetent riding motorbikes and pose a daily menace to me in that way. They stop in intersections to open and look at maps. They unexpectedly u-turn on one way streets, and in general drive like clueless rubes. A tourist policeman I know tells me that Chinese tourists involved in accidents on motorbikes is a daily occurrence and out of hand. I think we are on the leading edge of a total Chinese invasion over the coming 10 years. They are already buying businesses and land etc in CM and jumping in with both feet. They will not be as easy to fleece as the farang that came before them.................

Pray tell me how Chinese [Not Thai Chinese] are buying land and businesses in Thailand? Do you mean international businesses investing with a Thai partner, or individual Chinese? I didn't know the rules were different for Chinese..Are they?

• Like 1

So the 20 per cent high end tourist target has been dropped then? If 150 billion generated by 3.7million tourists was the mien then TAT would barely achieve half it's projected revenue target. That would suggest the Chinese are distinctly low end.

You are implying that somehow the TAT thinks about, considers, or even remembers any of the nonsense statistics it churns out week after week. Why should it? Anyone who can count should find the statistics risible, and the rest can't count anyway.

• Like 1

They are in Chiang Mai in huge numbers. The one aspect I dislike most about that is that they are very incompetent riding motorbikes and pose a daily menace to me in that way. They stop in intersections to open and look at maps. They unexpectedly u-turn on one way streets, and in general drive like clueless rubes. A tourist policeman I know tells me that Chinese tourists involved in accidents on motorbikes is a daily occurrence and out of hand. I think we are on the leading edge of a total Chinese invasion over the coming 10 years. They are already buying businesses and land etc in CM and jumping in with both feet. They will not be as easy to fleece as the farang that came before them.................

Pray tell me how Chinese [Not Thai Chinese] are buying land and businesses in Thailand? Do you mean international businesses investing with a Thai partner, or individual Chinese? I didn't know the rules were different for Chinese..Are they?

I know of two Thai - Chinese families who have discovered long - lost relatives from China. It Is not as unusual as you would think. Everything is possible with money in Thailand.

Word from Wife's family who are traders of many things in Chiang Mai is that the Chinese want everything for nothing and consistently whinge about the prices of everything in Thailand. They say they will be telling their families and friends not to come because 'Thailan too expensive'.

Good! Do not come here!

• Like 1

Bloody hell, if Thailand is too expensive, try Hong Kong!! Four times more than here, at least! The people who complain about cost must come from the boonies and only know how to barter, not about money ...

Rude and nasty people - let them all stay home or get killed/injured and sent home on a stretcher or in a box. Sorry, not nice thing to say, but my experience is just that. Thais are bad enough without the addition of Chinks.

What's up with the racial slurs? Seriously this is disgusting to say the least and not every chinese is from china and rude and nasty.

Rude and nasty people - let them all stay home or get killed/injured and sent home on a stretcher or in a box. Sorry, not nice thing to say, but my experience is just that. Thais are bad enough without the addition of Chinks.

What's up with the racial slurs? Seriously this is disgusting to say the least and not every chinese is from china and rude and nasty.

Lots of mention of mainland chinese and those are rude and nasty people.

Ever been in a line up somewhere with one of them in front of you and then a larger group approaches and everyone squeezes beside that one person in a front? Trying to tell them to bugger off and take a place at the end of line (even if there're only few people behind) is useless as they don't speak English and just look at you with dummy faces.

Another situation I've been in, one of the hotels in BKK where I USED TO stay had a bus full of chinese pulled into the hotel parking lot, it didn't bother me much until it was time to go to bed, they all got rooms on the same floor with me, they had their rooms doors open assembling in groups inside couple of them and in the hallway, they keep chatting, yelling, laughing, running back and forth ignoring the fact it was around midnight local time, ignoring myself and another foreign guy coming our of our rooms and yelling at them, they just looked at me like idiots and kept on going like nothing had happened, the hotel manager came up to our floor trying to calm them down to no avail until hotel got a hold of their tour guide.

Call me a racist but my opinion won't change - they are nasty and rude people! Sure not all of them but a huge majority!

The new politically correct trend: just say 'racist' in response to any comment, observation, fact

. 'I don't like Putin.' 'You don't???!! 'Oh, you sick racist!'

'I don't really support Chinese monopolies.' 'Oh, you ought to be ashamed you sick anti-asian racist!' Its getting out of hand.

The mainland Chinese seemed rude upon my visit due to the need to fight for everything-be it check out lines, or the line at the hotel. I can see that mentality is sort of hard-wired in them & when they travel abroad, of course you can still see it.

• Like 1

Absolutely right, some of them don't live in China.

Interesting and sad that falangs are noted for being easy to fleece , but I think you are right about this. The Chinese are a much more difficult mark , as it is inherent in their DNA to come out financially on top in all business dealings , not matter the origin. Look at how much US debt they hold. Having been in high-tech procurement for most of my working years , I can tell you that the Chinese are the least likely to negotiate a 50-50 deal. They want to come out ahead and will blatantly manipulate the business activity to accomplish this. Not my opinion or not based on a racist mentality , it has simply been my business experience with them.

I wouldn't quite equate Greenspan and bernanke turning on the printing presses to inflate the us economy with a Chinese tourist haggling over a jet ski hire.

By the way. Who holds the majority of USD debt as a whole, not as single individual entireties?

USA based institutions such as social security and pension fund. Yes the Chinese and the Japanese hold a lot, but of course, Americans hold a lot too.

I think you are right , I stand corrected. One can hardly make the comparison in those terms. I think I may have been implying that the Chinese , as a general rule , look to maximize their business potential for profit , wherever and whenever possible.

This is true of many races and cultures , but I do need to separate the US-China debt relationship from the tourist situation. I completely agree with that. I have many Chinese friends and I am not inciting racism in my observations. I live in the Bay Area of the US , so I have seen a HUGE influx of Chinese over the years and they own and invest heavily in real estate here and control a great deal of wealth in that regard. As far as my doing business with them, I was particularly keyed in on the material purchases to ensure an equitable arrangement , they are very good at negotiating well on their own behalf. Not that there's anything wrong with that , but I was responsible for achieving financial objectives and I had to work harder at this , in some cases, with my Chinese cohorts.

Just read an interesting article.

there's also been growing criticism over the way some of the travelers behave.

And this month, China's National Tourism Administration has released a 64-page handbook called "Guidelines on Civilized Travel Abroad," according to the South China Morning Post (SCMP).

Chinese tourists are now forbidden to behave in any way deemed "uncivilized" by the book. Among other things, the rules urge Chinese tourists not to force locals to pose for photos, leave footprints on toilet seats, cut lines, pick their noses, and take more than they can eat at buffet tables.

http://www.businessinsider.com/guidelines-on-chinese-tourists-behavior-2013-10

Too bad the chinese tourist visiting Thailand aren't aware of the new regulations.