The new Government Health Insurance - info for TV members in Chiang Mai

Sheryl

After much research, i found that unless you are locked into a medical Fund by you 65 birthday.

You will not get any medical fund to cover you after 65.

Unless someone can tell me different.

I investigated medical insurance beyond 65 as my Thai insurance company stopped at 65, no exceptions. I found BUPA Thailand would cover for life but I had to sign up before my 60 birthday. Not sure I agree about 'locked in' before 65 as I could not find that sort of policy. At least not a Thai company.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There are a couple different Thai medical insurers that will cover beyond age 65. BUPA will, and I know LMG does as well, and there are a couple others.

But as best as I recall, in each case, you have to have signed up with them by some particular age. Once you've gone beyond that age, no joy for new enrollees.

Typically, they guarantee lifetime renewals for existing customers. But of course, what they don't guarantee is just how high their premiums will go as you get older and older.

• Like 1

IMO no-one should get insurance which does not offer at least 2 million baht per illness episode coverage and lifetime cover.

Agreed Sheryl though of course lifetime cover is only acceptable if the increasing premiums are acceptable.

A suspicious mind might say that if BUPA knew they were the only game in town for the years of decrepitude they could charge what they like.

{{Personally I self insure which I believe with a bit of skill can save very considerable wasted money.

This of course is only on a statistical basis, one throws the dice to some extent, and is only an option for those with cash funds enough to cover expensive events if they happen. Not necessarily only for the rich however, I'm certainly not.

I think money can be saved by

1. Not accepting all medicines just because they're (over)prescribed, whilst a typical insured patient will just take what's given them.

2. Shopping for more economical pharmacies (as I just did paying a quarter of Ram price for rabies jab.)

3. Shopping more carefully for treatment.

4. Avoiding insurance company "friction".......... running costs for capital premises and equipment/paperwork/salaries and benefits/advertising.......and of course profits.

5. Avoiding loss from fraudulent claimants (like those who have a problem then get insured. Only just heard of a consultation in India where the patient was suggested to add problems to the claim)

6. Bearing in mind a return home for national health treatment may be a possibility in a last financial resort

I'm aware this method may not be suitable for many, but for those willing to live without absolute security, I would guess well over half can be saved on average.}}

Edited by cheeryble

This thread has gone right off track.

You know that the way tv works is you read the last post and reply to that....never mind the topic;. Sometimes you do not even bother to read the last post and start your own topic by making a post in a random topic.

Edited by harrry
  • Like 1

You know that the way tv works is you read the last post and reply to that....never mind the topic;. Sometimes you do not even bother to read the last post and start your own topic by making a post in a random topic.

Are we still talking about the best pizza?

• Like 1

Are we still talking about the best pizza?

This is the Chiang Mai forum. Surely we're talking about the best place to buy a burger?

Trying to bring this back on topic. It is about a new 2800 baht a year Government health insurance scheme available to foreigners. It is not about hamburgers pizzas or private insurance companies whether AIA Bupa or any other. It would be less confusing and help people find out about something which could save their lives if it was kept for that. After all all the pizzas and hamburgers cause artery damage and people may welcome being able to get treatment for their next heart attack.

Edited by harrry
  • Like 1

It really is a pity and I hope that those giving input into how things are panning out with the government insurance, don't stop giving valuable information.

Mea Culpa - Yes this is about Gov Health Insurance. This is what happens when a topic goes beyond 5 pages.

• Like 2

Got my insurance card today from Hang Dong hospital. That was a simple collecting exercise, no questions asked. Not sure why they need one week for this as it was just a laminated selfmade papercard, no plastic whatsoever.

It really is a pity and I hope that those giving input into how things are panning out with the government insurance, don't stop giving valuable information.

Mea Culpa - Yes this is about Gov Health Insurance. This is what happens when a topic goes beyond 5 pages.

Didn't know you spoke Latin ODS....very impressive.

IMO this is a topic that should be pinned. Pinned topics usually don't get messed around too much.

Edited by uptheos

40 minutes from the time I pulled in the parking lot at Nakornping to the time I was back in the car. Got my temporary card, chest x-ray, pee test, and bloodwork done. All they wanted was copy of passport, copy of tambien baan, copy of the missus' ID. Copy center right there to copy what they needed. No static, no grief, nice people. Have an appointment 6 Nov to pick up permanent card and get any instructions on primary hospital.

As a note, I got there at 2:30 and had no waiting at any point in the process. The girl at the outpatient department, though, said that her desk was covered in farang applications this morning. Perhaps, like immigration, it pays to sleep in a bit.

Edited by Lobo4819

Got my insurance card today from Hang Dong hospital. That was a simple collecting exercise, no questions asked. Not sure why they need one week for this as it was just a laminated selfmade papercard, no plastic whatsoever.

And that's how it looks like. Certainly different from what they handed out in Udon Thani, but what's written on it counts.

hangdongcard.jpg

Apparently it says I can also go to some other doctors in the Amphoe, not only to the hospital (the 2. line)

Edited by MadMac

And that's how it looks like. Certainly different from what they handed out in Udon Thani, but what's written on it counts.

hangdongcard.jpg

Apparently it says I can also go to some other doctors in the Amphoe, not only to the hospital (the 2. line)

It says you can go to other places in the Hang Dong hospital health network -- it doesn't use the word hospitals. Perhaps they mean clinics. Did you ask for clarification of what other places ?

Yesterday officials with the Chiang Mai province Min. of Public Health indicated that the program is still in place and we should receive further clarification, in writing, within 2-3 weeks. That would probably be the best time to develop a new thread that could be pinned, once all the details are known. For the time being applications at Nakorn Ping hospital, for residents of Muang and Mae Rim district are still being accepted and some foreigners are reporting success in obtaining treatment. Also, some are reporting success at enrolling at other MOPH hospitals in the province.

Remember, the Universal Coverage (UC) insurance program is the insurance of last resort for the Thai people. It's a privilege for the MOPH to permit foreigners to buy into the program. However, have patience and endurance with the crowds and queue lines common at Thai government hospitals.

Nancy with Lanna Care Net

Edited by NancyL
  • Like 1

Can someone tell me which government hospital would be the one

to check with if you live on Changklan Road?

McCormick or Nakornping?

Or are there others?

Thanks

Nakorn Ping is the MOPH hospital which serves all of Amphur Muang. McCormick is a private hospital, operated by the Church of Christ in Thailand.

• Like 2

What about those of us who live off highway 118 in Sansai? Can we still use Nakornping or is there an alternative?

There is a MOPH hospital in San Sai, but it's about 1/10 the size of Nakorn Ping hospital. Remember whichever hospital you select as your "home" hospital is the one you'll use for your starting point when you need routine treatment. If they can't treat you, then you'll be referred to another MOPH hospital with the specialty you need. If you have time and patience, it would be good to inquire at San Sai and see if they're participating. If not, you'd be accepted at Nakorn Ping.

It says you can go to other places in the Hang Dong hospital health network -- it doesn't use the word hospitals. Perhaps they mean clinics. Did you ask for clarification of what other places ?

Yes, my wife said it refers to clinics, so the small doctors here and there. So no need to go to the hospital.

What about those of us who live off highway 118 in Sansai? Can we still use Nakornping or is there an alternative?

Sansai is participating. IIRC it was mentioned earlier here in the thread, so far for Chiang Mai that should be Nakornping, Sansai and Hang Dong in the south where one can register.

hangdongcard.jpg

Yes it means clinics in the same Amphoe . That is what they told me.

I went to Hang Dong hospital this morning with an eye infection. Spent a total of about 2 hours, blood pressure normal, weight still fat and DR. exam. Total bill 77 baht, 50 baht for exam and 27 baht for 2 bottles of eye drops. I guess under the new program I would have saved 47 baht. Good service in a reasonable time as they had maybe 150 people waiting for help.

Every time I have been to this hospital I have had good profesional care.

• Like 1

Yes it means clinics in the same Amphoe . That is what they told me.

Thanks for the confirmation. One small thing with the Hang Dong card to mention, it doesn't carry that 13 digit SSI number (starting with 6) like the health cards that were handed out elsewhere. This may explain the extra clinics which I believe you otherwise have no access to with the card. So it look like it's some local system. Edited by MadMac

Has anyone without a proper visa been able to apply? The local MOPH says even people with a tourist visa can apply, but I don't think they realize the people who are here long-term without an actual visa -- i.e. those who do border runs every 15 days or maybe work overseas and pop in-and-out of the country by air for 30-day visa exempt entry, but would still would like to have this coverage in case they have a problem during their CM visits.

And (dare I mention it), what about those on overstay? Anyone who cares to admit they're on overstay been successful in applying? Not that I know anyone with that status! whistling.gif

Edited by NancyL

I believe it would have worked with (or without) any visa in Hangdong. Requested was actually only the Passport and they only copied the main page. I gave them however a full copy with visa as well as the yellow tabien baan. These did not draw attention until the lady tried to write my name in Thai and I told her to have a look at the Tabien Baan. A face of surprise and she happily made another copy. No interest in the visa still. So it would have most likely gone through.

Edited by MadMac