The new Government Health Insurance - info for TV members in Chiang Mai

Sheryl

What about those of us who live off highway 118 in Sansai? Can we still use Nakornping or is there an alternative?

There is a MOPH hospital in San Sai, but it's about 1/10 the size of Nakorn Ping hospital. Remember whichever hospital you select as your "home" hospital is the one you'll use for your starting point when you need routine treatment. If they can't treat you, then you'll be referred to another MOPH hospital with the specialty you need. If you have time and patience, it would be good to inquire at San Sai and see if they're participating. If not, you'd be accepted at Nakorn Ping.

Thanks, Nancy, that's useful - my local is the Doi Saket hospital (I think..) small facility on highway 118 - they're sweet, helpful and good at what they do, but have only even referred my husband to McCormick. Due to a careless mistake by one of the McCormick doctors leading to problems down the line, we shan't be going there again.

I'll ask at the local - if not, it'll have to be Nakornping. Thanks for all your help.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

40 minutes from the time I pulled in the parking lot at Nakornping to the time I was back in the car. Got my temporary card, chest x-ray, pee test, and bloodwork done. All they wanted was copy of passport, copy of tambien baan, copy of the missus' ID. Copy center right there to copy what they needed. No static, no grief, nice people. Have an appointment 6 Nov to pick up permanent card and get any instructions on primary hospital.

As a note, I got there at 2:30 and had no waiting at any point in the process. The girl at the outpatient department, though, said that her desk was covered in farang applications this morning. Perhaps, like immigration, it pays to sleep in a bit.

Can you please share some macro details of where to go inside of Nakorn Ping hospital to sign up: floor number etc.

I believe it would have worked with (or without) any visa in Hangdong. Requested was actually only the Passport and they only copied the main page. I gave them however a full copy with visa as well as the yellow tabien baan. These did not draw attention until the lady tried to write my name in Thai and I told her to have a look at the Tabien Baan. A face of surprise and she happily made another copy. No interest in the visa still. So it would have most likely gone through.

I got my card at Hang Dong Hospital as well. Simple process but I was told that in order to be placed on it you must be on yearly extentions . They were carful to check my stamp and made sure they had a copy of it ... So who knows .....

Ok, I assume that is a good thing. When I went there they had not really an idea what this is all about. I just brought the first page from the ministerial order and they processed it. Later the lady called my wife (I gave her details as contact in case of an emergency) and asked, where she could get more information about the program. Gave her the link to the document as well as the contact number from HIGTHAI. They now most likely have verified all that and adjusted.

Regarding Nakornping, you first have to go to counter 2, that is the admission, on the right side, when you stand in front of the hospital. They will take your data and put you in the computer. Afterwards you'll be sent to room 18, which is the checkup. You may get an appointment here to come back later, depending on the queue. Not complicated, just don't be surprised about the amount of people there smile.png.

Ok, I assume that is a good thing. When I went there they had not really an idea what this is all about. I just brought the first page from the ministerial order and they processed it. Later the lady called my wife (I gave her details as contact in case of an emergency) and asked, where she could get more information about the program. Gave her the link to the document as well as the contact number from HIGTHAI. They now most likely have verified all that and adjusted.

Regarding Nakornping, you first have to go to counter 2, that is the admission, on the right side, when you stand in front of the hospital. They will take your data and put you in the computer. Afterwards you'll be sent to room 18, which is the checkup. You may get an appointment here to come back later, depending on the queue. Not complicated, just don't be surprised about the amount of people there smile.png.

Physical checkup? ...........And compulsory?

And including blood test, urinalysis, and chest x-ray?

6 million dollar question time. Assuming you have the card, where to go in an emergency? Heart attack? Wouldn't want to go to San Kamphaeng, Saraphi etc. Does the card give emergency cover at private hospitals, or should one get taken to Suan Dok?

What it says, you can go to any clinic, that is doctor, in your area. I read also, that there's emergency coverage outside. That's the SSI stuff. This need to be confirmed.

The Hang Dong card (haven't seen any other one handed out in CNX) is different from the cards in Udon Thani and other places.

Edited by MadMac

6 million dollar question time. Assuming you have the card, where to go in an emergency? Heart attack? Wouldn't want to go to San Kamphaeng, Saraphi etc. Does the card give emergency cover at private hospitals, or should one get taken to Suan Dok?

Common sense tells me that private hospitals are unlikely to accept the card.

Since time is of essence in a case of emergency, I probably would not lay my trust on the two amphur hospitals that I have visited, Doi Saket and Sankampaeng, in a serious emergency sitution. I don't know about Nakornping for I have never visited it. I did see the operations in Suan Dok when I visited Siripat to check on what I thought ws sciactica, but now I think not. Suan Dok seems much better equipped with adequate personnel. i advise people to think in advance and let your love ones know where to go if it ever comes around.

Edited by muchogra
  • Like 1

As I understand it (at least the way it works for Thai citizens) is if someone is in a severe accident or is having a heart attack, stroke, etc., they can go to any hospital - public or private and be treated basically until they are stabilized over a couple of hours time and then they will be transferred by ambulance to the proper hospital under the government plan. The first hospital they went to will be reimbursed by the hospital they are registered with. Once they are sent to the government hospital they may be transported again even 2 or 3 times to another hospital that has equipment to do a MRI, CT Scan, or other specialized equipment not available at the hospital they are covered by. One often sees ambulances from Chiang Mai Memorial Hospital transporting patients to all the major hospitals for specialized diagnostics, then back in the ambulance to C.M. Memorial as it's a fairly bare bones operation.

I have no idea if this is the same procedure in the case of the new system for foreigners or not. I'm sure NancyL will have the details soon.

• Like 1

Let's all wait for the clarifications to come through soon. So far many people reported many mixed experiences, from good to total denial. Everything else is just speculation. The same time it would be good, if everybody who actually uses the inurance could post a short report. Thanks!

I want to add more information to NancyL's porfolio as she's active in helping foreigners. I've gotten this information from Sankampaeng Hospital when I visited there on Monday. This concerns permanent residents of Thailand of which both my wife and I belong.

While there, I asked about the insurance scheme for permanent residents. She first told me to bring my yellow Tubien Baan and go through the same procedures as non-permanent residents. I told her our Tubien Baan were blue and my FIL had enrolled us in the B30 scheme just like other Thais, but I didn't know which hospital and had never visited it. She asked for my PR Certificate which I didn't carry. I showed her my life-time driver's license. She punched into the computer and told me I was enrolled at a specific hospital in Bangkok. I had a gold card and my ID had a number 3 at the beginning, not a 6. Well...? I then asked her if we could reapply in CM. She said no. That is, not until we sign out from the hospital in Bangkok PERSONALLY. I could understand that since we went through the same trouble at the CM amphur when my wife moved her name from our Bangkok home to our CM one. For Thais, they don't need to move out and then move in at two places. They could just do it in one go. For PR, it's not computer readied!

Both my FIL and MIL were enrolled in the B30 scheme. They never used it. Each spent about 1.5M on their sickness for about a year. And that's about 6 and 8 years ago. Medical cost is running scary!

Edited by muchogra

One problem is that the hospital that serves Amphur Muang is said to be Nakorn Ping hospital, which is quite a distance from the center of town. It's not convenient for the many older expats who live long-term in the many guesthouses in and near the Old City. I'll ask if another hospital, closer to the center of town, is available.

beggars can't be choosers.

Yes, of course, people have to understand that for 2000!/baht per year they're not going to get Bumrungrad Hospital amenities! But, in "talking up" this program to several older friends, they've expressed concern about the distance, saying maybe their money would be better spent continuing to obtain care on a fee-paid basis at Suan Dok. Yes, that's true if all they need are occasional out-patient visits, but they don't realize the costs for repair of a hip fracture or nasty infection requiring ICU hospitalization -- all conditions that can be common in people over age 75. That 2000+baht annual fee is a real bargain compared to a 150,000 - 200,000 baht bill for one of these events, even for care at Suan Dok.

Got my card at San Kamphaeng hospital today. SK residents cannot apply at Nakornping.

Hmm SK is a lot closer to me than Nakornpin( Changklan Rd )

Wonder which one I am to apply at? Guess I will try one & see.

Thanks for the info though good to know SK has them too.

Got my card at San Kamphaeng hospital today. SK residents cannot apply at Nakornping.

Were you told this at Nakorn Ping or San Kamphaeng?

At Nakornping. Helpful nurse at reception, looked at my papers, including wife's blue book showing SK residence. NKP only for Amphur Chiang Mai & Mae Rim. We live in amphur SK.

• Like 1

Were you told this at Nakorn Ping or San Kamphaeng?

At Nakornping. Helpful nurse at reception, looked at my papers, including wife's blue book showing SK residence. NKP only for Amphur Chiang Mai & Mae Rim. We live in amphur SK.

Do you mean A.Muang?

Picked up my card from Hang Dong Hospital today,charged me 10 b for the laminating biggrin.png The health report (blood test,X ray)is basically one sheet,in Thai, with a few tick which confirms to them you have no major pre existing conditions. Quite relieved I don't have elephantitis, whatever that is. 2 other falangs picking there's up too. very easy procedure the whole deal.

Picked up my card from Hang Dong Hospital today,charged me 10 b for the laminating biggrin.png The health report (blood test,X ray)is basically one sheet,in Thai, with a few tick which confirms to them you have no major pre existing conditions. Quite relieved I don't have elephantitis, whatever that is. 2 other falangs picking there's up too. very easy procedure the whole deal.

Did not get any results, just the card. Good to hear that they may have sorted their stuff smile.png

At this time the health screening tests conducted at NKP does not include blood sugar, so it's OK to eat before you come -- the exact tests ordered could change in the future. If you'd like to have your BS checked you could request it at the same time for a very reasonable charge (be sure to fast for 12 hrs in advance) or return after you join the program between 7 - 8 in the morning, see a doctor and explain why you feel it's important to have your BS checked (previous personal or family history, other risk factors, etc) and you'd pay 30 baht if the doc orders the test, plus any needed meds would be covered.

NakornPing is considering this early phase a pilot program and may adjust the screening tests ordered in the future, based on the utilization of their new clients.

Do I understand correctly that--without access to a tabian bahn we cannot join the scheme?

My landlady has the tabian Bahn and she lives in BKK--and is almost impossible to get to deal with issues that require a Tabian bahn.

I could probably get a copy of it, though.

Edited by haybilly

Do I understand correctly that--without access to a tabian bahn we cannot join the scheme?

My landlady has the tabian Bahn and she lives in BKK--and is almost impossible to get to deal with issues that require a Tabian bahn.

Photocopies of TB's are accepted everywhere. NO problem.

Photocopies of TB's are accepted everywhere. NO problem.

Thanks for that, Electrified.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Yes, you need documentation of residence. Examples are: a chanote noting a lease, a rental agreement, a Form TM30 (which can be obtained at the Chiang Mai Immigration Investigations Office, a residence letter from Immigration, perhaps even a letter from the manager of the guest house or hotel where you reside (but I would not bet on that). Other proofs establishing approved stay in the country are passport pages noting visa status.

I am curious about the talk about a blue tabian bahn. Some people say that a foreigner can never be listed in a blue book, but, yes, in a yellow one --- but that discussion is found elsewhere on ThaiVisa. No need for that here. Whatever, if you are in one or the other, that would certainly work, I would think.

The 10-page MOPH letter is onerous to get through. As NancyL and Cheryl have pointed out, this program is a work in progress, and an effort is being made by provincial officials to provide detailed useful guidance. That is not at all an easy task, especially for a work in progress as this program is, the details of which might well change significantly in time. In addition, there is the complication of varying interpretations by different hospital staff.

In the meantime, you have nothing to lose by following the general documentary guidance already provided somewhere above on this thread and spend some time waiting in line! Mai phen rai! Indications given above are that hospital staff in at least four hospitals --- Nakorn Ping, San Sai, SK, and Hang Dong are very pleasant and accommodating. It appears that the primary MOPH hospital in your area in the province will do the same for you. When you go, smile and say thank you! Be patient!

At Nakorn Ping the proof of residence requirement has been pretty open -- utility bill in your name, letter from condo or guest house manager, rental contract -- heck they'd probably take the sticker from the home delivery of our newspaper. No need to go to Immigration to get a TM 30 or pay your consulate to do a Cert of Residency. What they're looking for is your postal code or statement of Amphur. Your address is on the back of your Thai drivers license, in Thai, also. Be sure to bring your passport and copy of the photo page of your passport.

Uptheos -- where you do live -- what district (amphur)? Then I can tell you which hospital is your MOPH hospital.

(List coming soon!)

• Like 2

At this time the health screening tests conducted at NKP does not include blood sugar, so it's OK to eat before you come -- the exact tests ordered could change in the future. If you'd like to have your BS checked you could request it at the same time for a very reasonable charge (be sure to fast for 12 hrs in advance) or return after you join the program between 7 - 8 in the morning, see a doctor and explain why you feel it's important to have your BS checked (previous personal or family history, other risk factors, etc) and you'd pay 30 baht if the doc orders the test, plus any needed meds would be covered.

NakornPing is considering this early phase a pilot program and may adjust the screening tests ordered in the future, based on the utilization of their new clients.

I would think if anyone wants to just get a blood test done it would be quicker to go to a private practioner or hospital to get the test done .The results will be available the same day or at some hospitals within a hour. The cost is only small ,and it would not be a use of government funds by us faring's who can afford to pay for for this to be done.

• Like 1

I would think if anyone wants to just get a blood test done it would be quicker to go to a private practioner or hospital to get the test done .The results will be available the same day or at some hospitals within a hour. The cost is only small ,and it would not be a use of government funds by us faring's who can afford to pay for for this to be done.

+1

Glucose test is cheap. Who would bother waiting hours (twice) at the government hospital to save a couple of hundred Baht? Dr. Morgan will even email you the result.