New Government Health Insurance for foreigners - info for TV members in Chiang Rai

Sheryl

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

Has anyone in Chiang Rai renewed their government health insurance card. I keep getting unofficial reports that they are not going to renew.

mine is due next month so the wife is going to phone them after lunch break.[korat]

Has anyone in Chiang Rai renewed their government health insurance card. I keep getting unofficial reports that they are not going to renew.

mine is due next month so the wife is going to phone them after lunch break.[korat]

wife phoned and as above they thepparat in korat are NOT renewing.

Word from the Thai Hospital is that they will neither issue new no renew old cards until the new scheme has been formalized.

Paying customers are still welcome at the hospital which dvfn paying the full amount is much cheaper than the private variety.

Look in the health forum for threads on the present situation. This scheme still operates for Burmese, Cambodian and Laos migrant workers, but is unlikely to readmit western expats. If there is any provision for expats in the foreseeable future it will be via a new scheme, but the new balance of power in the MoPH seems to have pushed policy in a different direction.

Edited by citizen33

Everyone has had their money refunded????

What drugs are you on...

Absolute nonsense.

It ended before it had begun really,everyone has had their money refunded,

no way it was going to fly anyway,as premiums were too low,its a pity,another

not fully worked out policy.

regards Worgeordie

By your angry response, it looks like YOU,did not get a refund,if not ,why not ?

regards worgeordie

I am not aware of anyone that got a refund, with the possible exception of you. Mine is still in effect so why would I get a refund?

By your angry response, it looks like YOU,did not get a refund,if not ,why not ?

regards worgeordie

I am not aware of anyone that got a refund, with the possible exception of you. Mine is still in effect so why would I get a refund?

Hi Scorpio1945, Its interesting that you say yours is still in effect,when the scheme

was canceled, have you visited the hospital lately?, it just shows that one part of

the Govt. does not know what the other half is doing.just count yourself lucky they

did not cancel your card,but will they renew it.?

regards Worgeordie

regards worgeordie

Hi Scorpio1945, Its interesting that you say yours is still in effect,when the scheme

was canceled, have you visited the hospital lately?, it just shows that one part of

the Govt. does not know what the other half is doing.just count yourself lucky they

regards Worgeordie

To the best of my knowledge, they canceled it being RENEWED not the card itself. No I do not expect it to be renewed.

regards worgeordie

regards Worgeordie

To the best of my knowledge, they canceled it being RENEWED not the card itself. No I do not expect it to be renewed.

I used my card at the Chiang Rai Hospital last month. I think that it is safe to say that if you have an active card they will honor it.

For those wanting to renew, do not have your wife call someone in the hospital report in person. If denied get the name of the person, position and phone number of the person who told the clerk not renew and follow up.

To actual members of the plan - the plan is still in effect unless you have been specifically told otherwise. There seem to have been many purveyors of rumours and downright falsehoods on this matter.

Regardless of what happened at some hospitals (especially in Chiang Mai where the plan appears to have been horribly abused), in Chiang Rai, the card is still valid. Mine sure is - and yesterday I was told it probably will be extended for next year.

Was officially informed yesterday that the Hospital administrators for South Chiang Rai (Mae Suay, Mae Lao and Wiang Pa Pao) have been told not to renew any foreigner health plans. My local admin told me "we will of course be most pleased to accept payment for any service".

While the inclusion of non-Asean foreiners in the plan was on a 1-year test basis, I was told that the main reason for the plan's cancellation was the abuse thereof by individuals in "larger cities" - individuals who lied on their application forms and during the health checkup and then used the plan to obtain services for long-standing illnesses. Apparently one person in CM racked up over 2 million is costs - a substantial piece of the total fees collected from visa-holding foreigners.

FYI