I don’t think Thais are any more Xenophobic than anyone. Do You?

laolover88

I don’t think Thais are any more Xenophobic than anyone. Do You?

There is a lot of stuff, in these fora, about, for want of a better word ,‘difficulties’ between foreign r

esidents/tourists etc and Thais and their culture and habits, which is often translated into Thais being Xenophobic.

In decades in Thailand I have never encountered xenophobia or personal animosity. I have met with a lot of prejudice and misunderstanding, but in many another country also

This has nothing to do with Thai or anyone else bashing...

I do not like the word ‘farang’. Used, usually pejoratively.We know it is a corruption of ‘francais’.

.I like ‘kee nok’ even less!!.. Mind you I have been referred to as ‘man’=It

Many Thais certainly cannot distinguish between European nationalities, let alone Arabic persons, but in the absence of language can you distinguish say an Australian from a German?

My daughter and I were exploring other words used by peoples to label ‘others’.

Think of a few of the English ones

Frogs=French

Huns=Germans

Eyties=Italians

<deleted>=almost anyone with a touch of the tarbrush!!

Gooks=US version of Vietnamese

Paddy=Irish

Dago=almost anyone with slightly brown skin!!

In Kampuchea the derogatory word for Vietnamese is

yuon" rather than junjiat Vietnam

Thais have some interesting words too.

Vietnamese=Kaeo=Like Farang =Kee Nok

Northern Thais =Jai Ngai= easy

Southen Thais =Jai Dam=black heart

Laos Lao Ta Kao=White eyes!!

Japanese Ai Yun=same as lao

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenophobia

• Like 1

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hehehe xenophobia? Please explain.

Pauline Hanson was the first Australian most Thai ever heard or read about. I was here in the LOS during the height of her 'popularity' or, maybe, Notoriety

Edited by cpofc
  • Like 2

The Thais I know aren't Xenophobic but they have ideas how different ethnics are:

Germans are all good technicians

Indians are all cheating

French are all very fashionable

Chinese are all hard working but a bit dirty

Americans are nice but naive

etc etc

They also seem to think most farangs are mongers and have a low opinion of their wives, if she is a Thai from the boonies and much younger in age.

I recall telling my family I never understood what it was like to be a black man in the USA during the 50's until I lived in Bkk during the 90's

Of course because, during that dark period in their history, drunken Thais routinely rounded up random farangs, found a suitable tree and lynched them from it, right?

dry.png

I do believe your taking the piss right? You do not believe that hangings were routine? However segregation and being treated as a second class citizen was. Ostentatious behavior was norm which is what my experience was on the public transport system and small shops. That was my personal experience and I have many other examples relating to doing business in the Los if it is different for you great as for me my mind is set.

On preventing danger to the nation, issued 3 July 1939, consisted of five items:

"Thai people must not engage in any business without considering the benefit and safety of the nation."

"Thai people must never reveal anything to foreigners that might damage the nation. These actions are a betrayal of the nation."

"Thai people must not act as agent or spokesman for foreigners without considering the benefit of the Thai nation, and must not express opinion or take the side of foreigners in international disputes. These actions are a betrayal of the nation."

"Thai people must not secretly purchase land on behalf of foreigners in a way that endangers the nation. These actions are a betrayal of the nation."

"When a person has betrayed the nation, it is the duty of Thai people to actively and quickly put a stop to it."[2]

So nothing has changed!!whistling.gif

• Like 2

I recall telling my family I never understood what it was like to be a black man in the USA during the 50's until I lived in Bkk during the 90's

Of course because, during that dark period in their history, drunken Thais routinely rounded up random farangs, found a suitable tree and lynched them from it, right?

dry.png

I do believe your taking the piss right? You do not believe that hangings were routine? However segregation and being treated as a second class citizen was. Ostentatious behavior was norm which is what my experience was on the public transport system and small shops. That was my personal experience and I have many other examples relating to doing business in the Los if it is different for you great as for me my mind is set.

Nearly three and a half thousand black people were reported to have been lynched in an 87 year period in the USA - that not enough for you? Are you forced to sit at the back of the bus here? Are Western children in Thailand forced to go to separate schools? Are Western employees of Thai companies routinely beaten for no good reason? If you think the way you are treated here is anywhere near the same as the way black people were treated in the USA in the 50s, you are completely insane. Stop behaving like an overly sensitive old woman and man up for pity's sake.

clap2.gif

hehehe xenophobia? Please explain.

Pauline Hanson was the first Australian most Thai ever heard or read about. I was here in the LOS during the height of her 'popularity' or, maybe, Notoriety

Perhaps posters could read and think about the topic and share their experiences before tossing off? Xenophobia is not racism!! Oh if only?

go to the 13 minute mark of the youbtube movie. All will be revealed. you are flogging a dead horse I'm afraid.

Most countries don't care about other countries. Its pretty much a universal trait.

In South America people thought it was awesome I was british, they lapped that up. Here I don't get that, but I don't get negativity either. Its mutual indifference i'd say.

Actually today in 7/11 three girls behind the counter were giggling at me, and one said to the others "ling ling ling" (or maybe ying). My limited thai translates that as monkey?! I'm not black.. maybe they were calling me an orang-utan? I don't really know.

dry.png

Nah of course not, I have yet to find a suitable palm tree to hang someone from. Besides the Thais were far more civilized then those Americans, they just send those blacks to testing facilities for skin whiteners because of the lack of suitable trees.

Ok hope that people will see I am joking

• Like 1

dry.png

Nah of course not, I have yet to find a suitable palm tree to hang someone from. Besides the Thais were far more civilized then those Americans, they just send those blacks to testing facilities for skin whiteners because of the lack of suitable trees.

Ok hope that people will see I am joking

You're probably right given that there are an awful lot of Thais that are darker than I am laugh.png

dry.png

Nearly three and a half thousand black people were reported to have been lynched in an 87 year period in the USA - that not enough for you? Are you forced to sit at the back of the bus here? Are Western children in Thailand forced to go to separate schools? Are Western employees of Thai companies routinely beaten for no good reason? If you think the way you are treated here is anywhere near the same as the way black people were treated in the USA in the 50s, you are completely insane. Stop behaving like an overly sensitive old woman and man up for pity's sake.
. OMG 3,500 people killed in 87 yrs by crazy people, that many die every holiday in Thailand. The post is not about being a man. i suggest rather than pushing some agenda try sticking to the subject which you have yet to offer an opinion on.
  • Like 1

. OMG 3,500 people killed in 87 yrs by crazy people, that many die every holiday in Thailand. The post is not about being a man. i suggest rather than pushing some agenda try sticking to the subject which you have yet to offer an opinion on.

You are the one with an agenda. How many white people do you know of that have been lynched in Thailand?

Do I think Thai people are xenophobic? Yes, but no more so than visitors from overseas like yourself who cannot cope with being in an ethnic minority and start making ridiculous comparisons to the way black people have been treated in the past.

Edited by inthepink

You are the one with an agenda. How many white people do you know of that have been lynched in Thailand?

Do I think Thai people are xenophobic? Yes, but no more so than visitors from overseas like yourself who cannot cope with being in an ethnic minority and start making ridiculous comparisons to the way black people have been treated in the past.

I am glad to see that we agree BTW how many black people do you remotely know that have been lynched in the USA my bet is zero on the other hand .........

If Thais are xenophobic against farangs, then they may have good reasons to be.

Only have to look at some of the comments on these threads and posts to realise how racist and bigoted many farangs are.

Us whiteys are the epitome of racism. The American civil war, WW2 and the South African apartheid are typical examples of the practices of genocide as to the extremes that us white folks, the so-called master race will take to archive superiority over the so-called inferior races, and again judging by many of the comments made by Thai visa members, the old beliefs of Western and white extremist views and supremacy are still alive and well in the minds of many Western ex-pats living here.

My half Thai kids have never experienced racism or bigotry against them in Thailand, but they certainly did when we lived in the West, even if it was done in a mild form, but they were made aware that is was there.

As a foreigner here, I can accept that Thais may be curious about me and even suspicious and a little wary of me in some cases. Remember that Thailand is not a multi ethnic and multi cultural country in the true sense as in some other countries, in fact the concept of having Europeans living among them in the communities is still fairly new. It could take one of two generations before the Thais can come to terms with and live undeterred in integration with people of other races and totally different cultures.

As a foreigner living in Thailand, I can understand that the old ways and old traditions of living under one culture and one people for probably thousands of years cannot be changed in the space of just a few years. Anyone considering moving to Thailand should realise this fact and either except being a foreigner here or go something else where they feel more comfortable living with their own kind.

For the time being we have to still bow down to the fact that we are a small minority in Thailand and restricted under what is the over whelming Thai cultural majority. This could well all be changed in the future by the influences of our multi ethnic and multi cultural children and grandchildren, but probably not within my lifetime.

It`s all a case of educating people as to how the South East Asian nations perceive Westerners and having greater tolerance and understanding of what lies at the core of the fears and the culture of the Thai people and the reasons why.

As on your last paragraph, following link might be of some assistence.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_cultural_mandates

Some thais maybe curious, little wary and suspicious about you !!

Not only the thais, i guess !

If Thais are xenophobic against farangs, then they may have good reasons to be.

Only have to look at some of the comments on these threads and posts to realise how racist and bigoted many farangs are.

Us whiteys are the epitome of racism. The American civil war, WW2 and the South African apartheid are typical examples of the practices of genocide as to the extremes that us white folks, the so-called master race will take to archive superiority over the so-called inferior races, and again judging by many of the comments made by Thai visa members, the old beliefs of Western and white extremist views and supremacy are still alive and well in the minds of many Western ex-pats living here.

My half Thai kids have never experienced racism or bigotry against them in Thailand, but they certainly did when we lived in the West, even if it was done in a mild form, but they were made aware that is was there.

As a foreigner here, I can accept that Thais may be curious about me and even suspicious and a little wary of me in some cases. Remember that Thailand is not a multi ethnic and multi cultural country in the true sense as in some other countries, in fact the concept of having Europeans living among them in the communities is still fairly new. It could take one of two generations before the Thais can come to terms with and live undeterred in integration with people of other races and totally different cultures.

As a foreigner living in Thailand, I can understand that the old ways and old traditions of living under one culture and one people for probably thousands of years cannot be changed in the space of just a few years. Anyone considering moving to Thailand should realise this fact and either except being a foreigner here or go something else where they feel more comfortable living with their own kind.

For the time being we have to still bow down to the fact that we are a small minority in Thailand and restricted under what is the over whelming Thai cultural majority. This could well all be changed in the future by the influences of our multi ethnic and multi cultural children and grandchildren, but probably not within my lifetime.

It`s all a case of educating people as to how the South East Asian nations perceive Westerners and having greater tolerance and understanding of what lies at the core of the fears and the culture of the Thai people and the reasons why.

As on your last paragraph, following link might be of some assistence.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_cultural_mandates

Some thais maybe curious, little wary and suspicious about you !!

Not only the thais, i guess !

Thanks for that, very interesting. Certainly gives as a better perspective of the attitudes of the Thai people and substantiates what I said, that these strong nationalistic and cultural beliefs are not going to be changed in a few years. But being nationalistic doesn`t mean being racist, even through some may believe this is to the extremes. To a point if possible we have to follow some of these examples as described in those mandates, to not necessarily be fully accepted here, but somewhat tolerated and that`s my whole point.

So there you have it, and what I said previous still stands, this is either acceptable to the ex-pats living here or it isn`t, and if it isn`t, then the only options is to move on rather than continuously complain about the system and attitudes in Thailand.

It`s a shame they decided that the traditional costume worn by Thai women before the 1940s was inappropriate.

• Like 1