Embassy Letter for proof of Income

pompeylad

Been reading a Pattaya Newspaper today and from it I understand that apparently the dear old British embassy in Bangkok have said it is no longer necessary for UK retirees to get their proof of income letter from them as they 'want to concentrate on helping UK nationals who need help' and it is okay to go to any other Embassy/Consulate that will provide the letter ,

My question is anybody tried this and what Embassy/Consulate are willing to assist.and at what cost?

You can apply for the letter by post - details here:

https://www.gov.uk/notarial-and-documentary-services-guide-for-thailand#services-we-provide-in-thailand

I sent my documents on Monday of last week and got my pension confirmation letter on Thursday of the same week.

I imagine that "any other Embassy or Consulate" just means the British Embassy or any of the British Consulates in Thailand - I think they are in Chiang Mai and Phuket.

Also, I hear that the local Visa Services will do the postal application for you for a fee.

I was not aware of that article, but here is a link to it http://pattayatoday.net/news/latest-edition/british-embassy-changes-retirement-rules/

(I hope it's OK to post that link)

Pontious, you are quite right, Barry is saying that there are other consulates in Pattaya which will provide the letter for Brits - and the letter will be accepted by Immigration.

The British Embassy charge approximately 48 GBP (including postage). Apparently, the other consulates charge much less.

Anyone know which consulates are doing this?

I find Barry's comment 'open secret' in the quoted article and the suggestion to 'ask around' all rather curious.

Maybe these other consulates don't want a flood of cranky, geriatric Brits to bugger up their otherwise peaceful existence... or at least Barry doesn't want to get the blame for it.

Not that I blame him. The bald/shaved, tattooed, sallow-faced, chain-smoking, singlet, shorts and flip-flops brigade that used to lurk around the old Brit Consulate were a tad depressing even on the sunniest of days.

• Like 1

"The British embassy has long complained about the nonsense of income verification as nobody knows whether the details provided by the applicant are true or not......." Lets hope that the Royal Thai Immigration will continue to accept these letters and such open statements could be considered unhelpful. One could argue that each applicant could issue a personal letter directly to the R.T. Immigration to confirm their income and cut out the 'middle man'. Is it only the British Embassy that is complaining about the need for such letters or is it all Embassies? If so have they made any combined representation to the respective Thai Government Ministry? All change is slow but polite pressure by Embassies may achieve results eventually when the local authorities come up with the same idea 'all' on their own.

Edited by Billmont

Still being a member of the Commonwealth may also mean an Affidavit made at the Australian embassy may also be valid? I'm not sure really but thought I'd throw my 2c worth in. I got the form at the Australian embassy in BKK, filled it in, paid about 500THB then got it signed. All done in 10mins.

Edited by avander

There is an EU directive that says that you can get help from any other EU-member consulate/embassy if you need help in a country outside the EU, where your own country has no consulate. Seems they have stretched the rule a bit, but one should be able to go to any other EU-member consulate.

I was not aware of that article, but here is a link to it http://pattayatoday.net/news/latest-edition/british-embassy-changes-retirement-rules/

(I hope it's OK to post that link)

Pontious, you are quite right, Barry is saying that there are other consulates in Pattaya which will provide the letter for Brits - and the letter will be accepted by Immigration.

The British Embassy charge approximately 48 GBP (including postage). Apparently, the other consulates charge much less.

Anyone know which consulates are doing this?

The Only countries that have consulates in Pattaya are:

Austria #

Norway

Sweden #

# Members of the European Union.

Source:

http://embassy.goabroad.com/embassies-in/Thailand#

• 1 month later...

Time for a thread bump.

Since the pencil necks at the Brit Emb think it is a waste of time, in lieu of doing it via mail (and paying a kings ransom) has anyone from "This Sceptred Isle" and living within the remit of Jomtien Immigration discovered which foreign legation will entertain their request for a proof of income letter yet?

The closest I have seen is avander doing one at the Australian Embassy (post #8) in Bangkok but must assume that he was a true-blue antipodean?

I have some business in Bangkok so could do it there but doing it locally would be so much easier.

Hard to believe that anyone other than the British Embassy you give you a proof of income letter. The American Embassy has an outreach program, twice a year in Pattaya, so its easy for Americans to get the letter, which cost around 1500 Baht, but forget the exact amount.

Austria #

Norway

Sweden #

Germany has (or had) a consular presence in Soi Yensabai, at the Belgian consulate office I think it was. Though neither place was a full-time consulate: just once or twice a week.

And I'm fairly sure there is a Danish consulate sign somewhere down on Jomtien Beach Rd, though there again that may not be full-time or even still in existence.

Hard to believe that anyone other than the British Embassy you give you a proof of income letter.

Why not? It isn't really a proof-of-anything-letter; just your declaration of your own income rubber-stamped by the consular service for a (in many cases) fat fee, and with no proof required or given. A totally pointless waste of time, in fact. Getting it signed by a noodle vendor outside the immigration office would have just as much validity (and you would get free noodles).

I'm amazed that the UK consulate should want to stop performing this absurdly expensive task as it must earn them a lot of money over the year.

Austria #

Norway

Sweden #

Source:

I think there are quite a few others including Russia, Romania, Hungary and France, and Denmark shares the joint Norwegian Consulate.

The Embassy isn't actually "changing" any "retirement rules" as Brits have always been able to use other Embassies/Consulates in exactly the same way "provided the alternative agency and the immigration bureau will accept the documentation"; all they are doing is publicising this so that other embassies/consulates will do the work instead (and take the money).

That the British Consul (Michael Hancock) said that "the loss of income did not concern the embassy" but he previously justified the closure of the Pattaya Consulate on financial grounds even though it was clearing some 4,000,000 baht a year in notarial fees (mainly proof of income letters) goes a long way to explaining why the UK has a problem balancing its budget - particularly when the British Embassy in Bangkok took on several more office staff after the Pattaya Consulate closed, as well as yet another butler for the Ambassador.

Edited by LeCharivari

Hard to believe that anyone other than the British Embassy you give you a proof of income letter.

Why not? It isn't really a proof-of-anything-letter; just your declaration of your own income rubber-stamped by the consular service for a (in many cases) fat fee, and with no proof required or given. A totally pointless waste of time, in fact. Getting it signed by a noodle vendor outside the immigration office would have just as much validity (and you would get free noodles).

I'm amazed that the UK consulate should want to stop performing this absurdly expensive task as it must earn them a lot of money over the year.

Did you ever request a proof of income letter from the Brit Embassy in Bangkok? The US declaration is the one where there's no need for any evidence.

For the UK, one has to present actual proof of income or pension, either bank statements or pension letters which they look at before they run the numbers through a calculator before being accepted and issuing the letter the next day.... and charging for the service.

They had a nice little disclaimer in the footer that absolved them of any responsibility regarding what they were attesting to.

But it is strange that they have given up on this 'nice little earner'.

Austria #

Norway

Sweden #

Source:

I think there are quite a few others including Russia, Romania, Hungary and France, and Denmark shares the joint Norwegian Consulate.

The Embassy isn't actually "changing" any "retirement rules" as Brits have always been able to use other Embassies/Consulates in exactly the same way "provided the alternative agency and the immigration bureau will accept the documentation"; all they are doing is publicising this so that other embassies/consulates will do the work instead (and take the money).

That the British Consul (Michael Hancock) said that "the loss of income did not concern the embassy" but he previously justified the closure of the Pattaya Consulate on financial grounds even though it was clearing some 4,000,000 baht a year in notarial fees (mainly proof of income letters) goes a long way to explaining why the UK has a problem balancing its budget - particularly when the British Embassy in Bangkok took on several more office staff after the Pattaya Consulate closed, as well as yet another butler for the Ambassador.

Someone has to carry the Ferrero Rocher.

post-62323-0-07733500-1385559991.jpg

Edited by chickenslegs

Did you ever request a proof of income letter from the Brit Embassy in Bangkok? The US declaration is the one where there's no need for any evidence.

For the UK, one has to present actual proof of income or pension, either bank statements or pension letters which they look at before they run the numbers through a calculator before being accepted and issuing the letter the next day.... and charging for the service.

As far as I know this is no longer the case and for the UK consulate it is just a declaration without proof now also. I believe it changed this year. But I'm only aware of this from hearsay as I always go the bank deposit route.

Either way, any check performed is clearly a complete waste of time if other countries base it entirely on a declaration.

As far as I know this is no longer the case and for the UK consulate it is just a declaration without proof now also. I believe it changed this year. But I'm only aware of this from hearsay as I always go the bank deposit route.

Either way, any check performed is clearly a complete waste of time if other countries base it entirely on a declaration.

I have done the proof of income letter twice, January 2012 and February 2013 where they sighted documentary proof of income before issuing the letter, per their website.
"Please ensure the pension/income evidence you provide is in a form that is simple and easy to understand and contains the essential financial amounts that are required for inclusion in the letter. According to Thai Immigration, your pension currency should not be converted into Thai Baht."
Apart from the OP which references a local 'newspaper' as the source of information, it would be good to hear from any Brits with more recent, personal experience regarding this. The UK government website hasn't been updated to say otherwise. It seems strange that former Hon Consul Barry Kenyon's assertion about the "open secret which other European consulates in Pattaya will do the substitution for a fee..." and yet nobody has claimed being in on this secret. Maybe Barry saw too much obviously shonky 'evidence' presented by dodgy Brits during his tenure in Pattaya but for some, the evidence supplied is as real as the need for it.
The letter is still available with evidence via mail but the intent of this thread bump is to see if the 'other embassy' option as suggested in the OP is a reality and not about hearsay or personal opinions on whether it is a waste of time.
Edited by NanLaew

There is no "UK consulate", except in Chiang Mai.

As far as I know this is no longer the case and for the UK consulate it is just a declaration without proof now also.

There is no "UK consulate", except in Chiang Mai.

Dear me. Any more hairs you want to split?

These tasks are performed by consular services in the Embassy even if there is no actual consulate.

Of course until fairly recently there was an office in Pattaya for this, and this was also for consular services.

• 5 weeks later...

Income letter for Brits in Thailand

go to this link

https://www.gov.uk/n...de-for-thailand

and scroll down to

"services we provide in Thailand"

scan down to income letter and....

follow instructions - easiest by post IMHO Hope that helps

Fees

Fee 2(i) Letter in English THB 2,430 EMS postage and packaging THB 100

Below is extract from site copied 4/01/2014

Consular letter confirming pension/income for Thai Immigration

We can issue a standard letter addressed to Thai Immigration confirming your pension/income to support the renewal/extension of your retirement visa. This letter is a Thai requirement and the granting of the visa is at the sole discretion of the Thai Immigration authorities not the British Embassy.

Please ensure the pension/income evidence you provide is in a form that is simple and easy to understand and contains the essential financial amounts that are required for inclusion in the letter. According to Thai Immigration, your pension currency should not be converted into Thai Baht.

The fee for this letter is payable by cash or credit card if applying in person or by postal order for the exact amount if applying by post. The letter can be collected in person or sent to you by express mail with an additional postage and packaging cost of 100 Baht. Please note that fees can change without prior notice.

If you are unable to visit us in person, please mail us your request stating the total pension amount received monthly/yearly and enclosing the required documents. Please make the postal order (available at Post Offices) payable to the “British Embassy” and to be cashed at “Nana Post Office Bangkok 10112”.

Fees

Fee 2(i) Letter in English THB 2,430 EMS postage and packaging THB 100

Documents required for this service

• original valid British passport or a photocopy if applying by post
  • proof of address such as outlined above
  • evidence of your current pension/income which will be returned to you

• 4 weeks later...

I may be cutting it all a bit fine with the recent Bangkok troubles but, if I was to present myself and my documentation personally at the UK Embassy in Bangkok, will they still process the letter for next day personal collection? Or do they insist on mail-only applications for this?

Alternatively, anyone care to name one of the local visa agents that have facilitated getting the letter? I would rather they do the 'legwork' rather than bugger around in Bangkok myself.

Edited by NanLaew

I may be cutting it all a bit fine with the recent Bangkok troubles but, if I was to present myself and my documentation personally at the UK Embassy in Bangkok, will they still process the letter for next day personal collection?

What about the Austrian consulate here, as mentioned earlier in the thread? Avoiding the riots and traffic seems an excellent reason to try them, and the lower cost cant be bad either.

Key Visa opposite Big C south car park, they take your documents up on a Wednesday and collect them on Friday, charge is B300 plus of course whatever the embassy charge for the letter.

I need to file the extension this Friday so I will see if they can do Mon-Wed instead.

Thanks!