Fresh derailment stalks Thai govt railway exhibit

webfact

"Non Sung Police Station superintendent Colonel Pissanu Wattu said the track where the incident happened was relatively new. "It has been in service for less than a year," he said."

Relatively new ? Looks like 2 tracks made out of rust. I wonder what 20 year old track looks like. Well never mind, at least it looks like the professional repair team are at work.

very professional workers just look at their safety boots cheesy.gif

E-mail from the Chinese PM to Yingluck:

"Dear madame. Because of the poor quality of rice you delievered, the barter-committee has decided, that you will only qualify for the economy-class of high speed trains. See attachment.wai2.gifwai2.gif "

attachicon.giftumblr_mg4chheOEA1r8vrhxo1_1280.jpg

Even without the possible doubts on the quality of Thai special rice I don't think Thailand qualifies for High-Speed rail. Neither can I understand the justification of such high-speed passenger fun.

More beneficial would be the speed up of track doubling / renewal, new trains, carriages and the like. Both Thai population and cargo traffic could benefit greatly.

If they would do the job properly they could use an eye to the future and when double tracking put the second one in an area where they could easily double track it for future High Speed Trains.

They are the future. But they are not today and will not be for a good number of years unless China makes a deal with Thailand to run their High speed train from Malaysia through Thailand to Lao.

Not being up on these type of things I was wondering if a high speed train could pull the same size cargo load as today's slow but not to sure ones?

E-mail from the Chinese PM to Yingluck:

"Dear madame. Because of the poor quality of rice you delievered, the barter-committee has decided, that you will only qualify for the economy-class of high speed trains. See attachment.wai2.gifwai2.gif "

attachicon.giftumblr_mg4chheOEA1r8vrhxo1_1280.jpg

Even without the possible doubts on the quality of Thai special rice I don't think Thailand qualifies for High-Speed rail. Neither can I understand the justification of such high-speed passenger fun.

More beneficial would be the speed up of track doubling / renewal, new trains, carriages and the like. Both Thai population and cargo traffic could benefit greatly.

If they would do the job properly they could use an eye to the future and when double tracking put the second one in an area where they could easily double track it for future High Speed Trains.

They are the future. But they are not today and will not be for a good number of years unless China makes a deal with Thailand to run their High speed train from Malaysia through Thailand to Lao.

Not being up on these type of things I was wondering if a high speed train could pull the same size cargo load as today's slow but not to sure ones?

To my knowledge HST trains are purely passenger oriented.

Fast freight trains, the sort that operate particularly in N.America are transcontinental and carry huge amounts of freight .

Canada and Mexico do not have HST but Amtrak in the U.S,operates the Acela Express, the only true HST 240km/h max, between Washington D.C. and Boston.

This is still not as fast as HST in France, Germany, Japan and China.

Many commentators here have questioned Thailand's ability to develop and run a high-speed train system, given the abysmal track-record of the normal rail system. But how about airplanes, Thai Airways has a pretty good safety record, hasn't it?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

To my knowledge HST trains are purely passenger oriented.

Fast freight trains, the sort that operate particularly in N.America are transcontinental and carry huge amounts of freight .

Canada and Mexico do not have HST but Amtrak in the U.S,operates the Acela Express, the only true HST 240km/h max, between Washington D.C. and Boston.

This is still not as fast as HST in France, Germany, Japan and China.

Currently the French are developing high speed freight trains to run on their TGV network. The trains only carry light freight (parcels and post) so bulk commodities such as steel, containers and fuel etc. will still need to be carried by conventional trains.

The government needs to clearly understand this and stop misleading people into thinking all freight will be carried by high speed train.

I have said it before, all that needs to be done, as part of the double tracking upgrade project, is lay dual gauge tracks (3 rails on 1 sleeper) allowing both standard and narrow gauge trains to operate on the one track. This will allow the combined operation of 130km/h standard gauge freight trains (carrying all freight), 160-180km/h standard gauge passenger trains, existing narrow gauge trains (until they are phased out) and international trains all on the same set of tracks. Its possible and has been in operation in many countries for many, many years. Great use of the infrastructure at a quarter of the cost.

The high speed network will not be viable. You only have to look at the number of airline seats to see this. The idea of a "fast" dual gauge system that is affordable to all is the only answer.

Sad this money is being wasted when there is so many more important things needed.

Well it sounds good but if one train is going north and another south between Bangkok and Chiang Mai they will run into each other.

Perhaps as I stated earlier build the other track in a place where it can be double tracked. Build it with the three rails as you suggested but build it properly so as in the future it could accommodate a high speed train.

The beauty of this is that they will have a chance to build it in a way that would eliminate many road crossings.

High speed trains will come but they should be planed for after the rest of the rail system is made safe. Also not until there is enough business for them to pay there way. That may be many years away. But we can prepare for it with proper location of the second track. When the time comes it will just take the building of the second track on land all ready prepared for it. The old rail way can be used or abandoned depending on the situation. I am sure there would be parts of it still good for short distances.

SRT files police complaint over derailment

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The State Railway of Thailand (SRT) has lodged a police complaint in relation to a derailment in Nakhon Ratchasima on Thursday night.

Several sections of a cargo train derailed as it approached a railroad switch. Nobody was hurt.

"We suspect that someone might have messed with the switch," SRT senior official Paisal Chaibanmai said yesterday.

Non Sung Police Station superintendent Colonel Pissanu Wattu said the track where the incident happened was relatively new. "It has been in service for less than a year," he said.

It took more than 12 hours to remove the derailed sections, but normal services had resumed as of press time.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-10-19

"We suspect that someone might have messed with the switch,"

In the US, switches are padlocked into position and someone would have to cut the padlock to 'mess' with the switch. There would be no doubt.

Edited by rametindallas
  • Like 1

My old Lionel toy train had better tracks then Thailand's railroad system. I would rather ride in a van before the train. ( Oh maybe not ) Maybe Thailand can buy china's old used tracks

You may be surprised to learn that I don't have a preference as to which way you die.

Odd posting and rather unkind.

"Non Sung Police Station superintendent Colonel Pissanu Wattu said the track where the incident happened was relatively new. "It has been in service for less than a year," he said."

Relatively new ? Looks like 2 tracks made out of rust. I wonder what 20 year old track looks like. Well never mind, at least it looks like the professional repair team are at work.

very professional workers just look at their safety boots cheesy.gif

Worker safety is a second thought. I watch the high rise construction going on next door from my condo and cringe. The workers walk their toddlers around the site after work hours and think nothing of it. Flip-flops, no helmets, no welding goggles, no gloves or harnesses. What a nightmare.

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The State Railway of Thailand (SRT) has lodged a police complaint in relation to a derailment in Nakhon Ratchasima on Thursday night.

Several sections of a cargo train derailed as it approached a railroad switch. Nobody was hurt.

"We suspect that someone might have messed with the switch," SRT senior official Paisal Chaibanmai said yesterday.

Non Sung Police Station superintendent Colonel Pissanu Wattu said the track where the incident happened was relatively new. "It has been in service for less than a year," he said.

It took more than 12 hours to remove the derailed sections, but normal services had resumed as of press time.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-10-19

In the US, switches are padlocked into position and someone would have to cut the padlock to 'mess' with the switch. There would be no doubt.

As a long standing railway enthusiast (the unkind would say trainspotter) with a lot of practical experience as a signalman on a "preserved " steam operated railway in the UK I have several times persuaded staff on the SRT to show me around their signal boxes. Usually situated in the station buildings, they tend to consist of mechanical or electromechanical lever frames, supplied by a British firm (Westinghouse Brake and Signal). All facing points (switches in US parlance) are bolted to prevent the blades moving as a train passes over them, and the bolts (facing point locks) point levers and signal levers will be interlocked in the frame to prevent the points from being moved. In addition on a more modern installation track circuiting will electronically lock the frame as well. It is very difficult to "mess with the switch". I would suspect that the elderly short wheelbased wagons which appear to have been involved may well have caused the derailment possibly by being hauled through the points at too high a speed. A bogie locomotive would have negotiated the points at speed with ease but light 4 wheeled short wheelbase wagons, with tired springs and worn tyres, bouncing around behind may well have come off resulting in the "serious earth fault" shown in the photograph. Of course i may be wrong....but then this is the internet so I am always right!!

Edited by JAG
  • Like 1

The Nation

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-10-19

As a long standing railway enthusiast (the unkind would say trainspotter) with a lot of practical experience as a signalman on a "preserved " steam operated railway in the UK I have several times persuaded staff on the SRT to show me around their signal boxes. Usually situated in the station buildings, they tend to consist of mechanical or electromechanical lever frames, supplied by a British firm (Westinghouse Brake and Signal). All facing points (switches in US parlance) are bolted to prevent the blades moving as a train passes over them, and the bolts (facing point locks) point levers and signal levers will be interlocked in the frame to prevent the points from being moved. In addition on a more modern installation track circuiting will electronically lock the frame as well. It is very difficult to "mess with the switch". I would suspect that the elderly short wheelbased wagons which appear to have been involved may well have caused the derailment possibly by being hauled through the points at too high a speed. A bogie locomotive would have negotiated the points at speed with ease but light 4 wheeled short wheelbase wagons, with tired springs and worn tyres, bouncing around behind may well have come off resulting in the "serious earth fault" shown in the photograph. Of course i may be wrong....but then this is the internet so I am always right!!

What you are saying is, "mess with the switch", is code for "our operator didn't know better than to go too fast for the type of railcars being used"?

The Nation

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-10-19

What you are saying is, "mess with the switch", is code for "our operator didn't know better than to go too fast for the type of railcars being used"?

or try "who paid our operator to go too fast for the type of railcars being used."

Bus crashes, train derailments seem a way of life here, sadly. Thankfully, I am being collected by family when I do return back to Thailand. I'd hate the thought of a long bus or rail journey seeing how many accidents there are.

Automobile crashes are all too common as well - major cause of death is motorbike crashes.

As for the train, the lines have been reconditioned - as the photo shows; concrete Ties, good gravel roadbed, but rusty rails - meaning that line is not often used. The biggest problem is maintenance, both of rails and trains. A wobbly wheel can cause a derailmant as easily as a loose rail. Loose rails are often caused by rainstorms, as we saw in Chiang Mai about 2 years ago, where a whol sectione of new track was left hanging by a washout.

post-5469-0-46655600-1347170882.jpg30190023-01_big.jpg

"a large sinkhole under the northern rail line in Lamphun " Posted 2012-09-09 http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/583032-trains-in-north-stopped-as-wet-causes-sinkhole/

pardon me but can you see anything wrong with the track itself? and it is this track that is catching the most of the blame. something fishy in the north indeed.

Edited by Vo Nguyen Giap