Two young children narrowly avoid being kidnapped on a Thailand holiday

Lite Beer

The young children of an Adelaide couple have narrowly avoided being kidnapped during a family holiday in Thailand.

KO CHANG: -- The couple, James and Naomi Strange had just arrived at the island resort of Ko Chang a fortnight ago when an unidentified woman attempted to take their daughters Milly, 7, and Alannah, 3.

The pair, who have lived in Kununurra in northwest WA for the past 12 months, described the incident as "surreal'' and warned other Australians travelling overseas to be alert to the danger.

Mr Strange, 36, said they family first noticed the woman who attempted to abduct his girls while they were on the ferry travelling from the mainland to Ko Chang, where they stayed for five days after travelling through Cambodia.

He said the girls were standing next to the railing on the passenger deck of the ferry, while he and Noami, 35, were seated nearby, when he saw the woman talking to Milly. After several minutes Alannah joined her older sister and was also talking with the woman and they spoke for the remainder of the ferry trip, about 10 minutes.

The Stranges were not alarmed because the woman "looked like a schoolteacher'' and was seated only about 8 to 10 metres away.

She was aged about 30, had glasses and blonde hair.

Read More: http://www.news.com.au/national-news/south-australia/adelaide-couple-recall-kidnap-attempt-on-their-two-young-children-on-holiday-in-thailand/story-fnii5yv4-1226743103919

--NEWS.COM.AU 2013-10-19

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Police were disinterested because there was no money in it for them.

The father is 71 and looks old while the children are very young, perhaps that is what triggered the incident.

The alleged kidnapper seems to be a do-gooder and tried to intervene to 'rescue' the children, thinking there was no way the couple were the real parents given their age. With Thailand's notorious reputation as a trafficking hub and destination for pedophiles it appears this woman was trying to act like a heroine, with disastrous consequences.

Doubt it was a serious attempt to kidnap, just an unstable, opinionated woman intervening in a situation she had created of her own making.

The girl's father is 36. The girl's mother is 35. The girl's grandfather is 71.

Try again.

From the article: "The scuffle ended when Naomi's father, Barry Lewis, 71, stood between the pair and pushed the woman aside."

Lol, I was going to congratulate him for having kids at his age.

Edited by FarangTalk
  • Like 1

Read the full article, it didn't happen on the ferry.

I read the topic reporting the incident on the ferry, I didn't see another bit about the blond followed them and tried again on the island. Maybe I missed another article re -this.

Of course a super frightening incident but the abductor sounds more like she was a loony tune than anything else.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The husbands name is James. Naomi is his wife. He is not 71

The father is 71 and looks old while the children are very young, perhaps that is what triggered the incident.

The alleged kidnapper seems to be a do-gooder and tried to intervene to 'rescue' the children, thinking there was no way the couple were the real parents given their age. With Thailand's notorious reputation as a trafficking hub and destination for pedophiles it appears this woman was trying to act like a heroine, with disastrous consequences.

Doubt it was a serious attempt to kidnap, just an unstable, opinionated woman intervening in a situation she had created of her own making.

Try again.

From the article: "The scuffle ended when Naomi's father, Barry Lewis, 71, stood between the pair and pushed the woman aside."

Lol, I was going to congratulate him for having kids at his age.

"The couple, James and Naomi Strange". So Naomi's father, Barry, is clearly the girl's grandfather.

The (36 yo) father was also present, both on the ferry, and when looking for a taxi.

Mr Strange, 36, said they family first noticed the woman who attempted to abduct his girls while they were on the ferry ...

Mr Strange said in the few seconds they were not watching the girls, the unknown woman had picked up Alannah and put her in another taxi.

"We thought she was trying to help,'' Mr Strange said.

I read the topic reporting the incident on the ferry, I didn't see another bit about the blond followed them and tried again on the island. Maybe I missed another article re -this.

Click on the link to the full article. http://www.news.com.au/national-news/south-australia/adelaide-couple-recall-kidnap-attempt-on-their-two-young-children-on-holiday-in-thailand/story-fnii5yv4-1226743103919

They first noticed the woman on the ferry. It was while they were trying to catch a taxi that the woman tried to take their daughters.

• Like 1

Click on the link to the full article. http://www.news.com.au/national-news/south-australia/adelaide-couple-recall-kidnap-attempt-on-their-two-young-children-on-holiday-in-thailand/story-fnii5yv4-1226743103919

They first noticed the woman on the ferry. It was while they were trying to catch a taxi that the woman tried to take their daughters.

WB, I have a LINK missing, Just been away a bit out of touch, saw the topic read it and commented on it and missed the LINK. 55555. These thick ex pats, excuse me.cheesy.gif

Don't get this, why for starters do they think the (woman) was trying to abduct ??? and being on a ferry did she flee the scene ???? we have to assume the woman was a Foreigner ??? and she was not apprehended on board???? the lady was seated 10 or so meters away ???? but must have been beamed up after being unsuccessful in her attempt ----if the WOMAN was blond and sunglasses on--could it have been a man in drag ????? all sounds a bit vague half a story ???

Go back and read again.

Mr Strange, 36, said they family first noticed the woman who attempted to abduct his girls while they were on the ferry travelling from the mainland to Ko Chang

You must have read a different article mate. The father is 36 and his wife 35. I want some of what you've been taking

• Like 2

It is a strange story, and probably unlikely that the BIB got anywhere with investigating it. Thankfully nothing happened, but it is worrying.

Worrying would be an understatement but TIT and the realm is not a safe family tourist destination any longer.

Edited by johnlandy

Read the full article properly.

• Like 1

Try again.

And the police were uninterested, not disinterested.

• Like 1

It is a strange story, and probably unlikely that the BIB got anywhere with investigating it. Thankfully nothing happened, but it is worrying.

Worrying would be an understatement but TIT and the realm is not a safe family tourist destination any longer.

Isn't that a fact. I have stopped encouraging family to visit me here for a few years now. Just not safe.