PM to hold meeting tomorrow on Phra Viharn ruling

Lite Beer

PM to hold meeting tomorrow on Phra Viharn ruling
By English News

1382249315794-640x390x2.jpg

BANGKOK, Oct 20 - Thai Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra will hold a meeting tomorrow with related agencies on the Phra Viharn ruling next month, according to Deputy Prime Minister/Foreign Minister Surapong Tovichakchaikul.

He said the setup of a Thai-Cambodian joint committee on border issues would be discussed and later proposed to the National Security Council (NSC) and the Cabinet meeting for approval, in order for the border matters to be processed in accordance with the World Court's ruling.

The World Court is to read its verdict on the Phra Viharn dispute between Thailand and Cambodia on Nov 11.

Mr Surapong said his ministry had asked for a meeting with his Cambodian counterpart Hor Namhong before the ruling date, while adding he would also ask the prime minister for a budget for live TV coverage of the verdict reading.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs will start publicising from the beginning of next month with a Phra Viharn documentary through TV channels to create understanding among the Thai public.

Meanwhile, Commander-in-Chief of the Royal Thai Air Force Prajin Jantong visited a space surveillance radar site in the northeastern province of Sakon Nakhon's Phu Phan district and ordered local officials to monitor Thailand's territorial air space around the clock. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-10-20

All this is a bit unnecessary, almost as if it is simply diverting attention away from more important issues?

The World Court will give it's verdict. As members of the UN Thailand and Cambodia are obliged to accept the decision especially as they both asked for the hearing and that should be the end of the matter. If not the UN may decide to suspend them until they obey the rules or threaten further sanctions and neither government would want that.

Meanwhile, Commander-in-Chief of the Royal Thai Air Force Prajin Jantong visited a space surveillance radar site in the northeastern province of Sakon Nakhon's Phu Phan district and ordered local officials to monitor Thailand's territorial air space around the clock.

I don't understand this bit. I can see the possibility of some street demonstrations if the decision goes against Thailand. I also expect anti government groups and the opposition to use this against the government although I'm not sure that's really fair. What I don't envisage is an air strike. Is this just something tacked on to the end of the report that's unconnected or am not reading it correctly.

• Like 2

Meanwhile, Commander-in-Chief of the Royal Thai Air Force Prajin Jantong visited a space surveillance radar site in the northeastern province of Sakon Nakhon's Phu Phan district and ordered local officials to monitor Thailand's territorial air space around the clock.

I don't understand this bit. I can see the possibility of some street demonstrations if the decision goes against Thailand. I also expect anti government groups and the opposition to use this against the government although I'm not sure that's really fair. What I don't envisage is an air strike. Is this just something tacked on to the end of the report that's unconnected or am not reading it correctly.

Probably checking its running so that if they scramble the Thai jets and they crash, at least they have a good idea where they are.

• Like 1

Does anybody have any serious ideas as to how the UN will play this one ? Why? ..... I can only see any decision being decided on a coin toss.

Not the UN. The International Court of Justice (ICJ).

This is all for an interpretation of the 1962 case, where they said the temple was Cambodian :- Did the 1962 ruling include the adjoining 4.6 km2 land?

I reckon there can only be two results:

Yes - which means the adjoining land belongs to Cambodia.

No - which means the adjoining land is still in dispute.

IMO, the 1962 decision clearly states that it is just for the Temple and the land it is on. So I reckon the result will be a "No".

• Like 2

The Thai Air Force wants to ensure they track all rocks thrown across the border by Cambodia.

• Like 1

Anyone see any news source stating that the ICJ ruling would be on 11/11/13 or only what the Minister of Foreign Affairs has claimed?

11/11/2013 - 11/11/2013

Request for Interpretation of the Judgment of 15 June 1962 in the Case concerning the Temple of Preah Vihear (Cambodia v. Thailand) (Cambodia v. Thailand) - reading of Judgment case_link.gif

• Media accreditation
  • Public admission

Owing to the limited number of seats available in the Great Hall of Justice, priority access will be given to members of the delegations of States that are parties to the case, and members of the Diplomatic Corps. A number of seats will be allocated daily to members of the public on a first come first served basis. There is no advance registration procedure this time.

http://www.icj-cij.org/calendar/index.php?p1=6&p2=2

• Like 1

Well not that I think it matters who wins the decision I would hope they had enough sense to propose a joint venture on the same property.

If Thailand wins it will certainly give the defunct yellow shirts some thing to brag about. Not that there is any thing of value there. We can be sure that if Thailand wins Thaksin will manage to take the credit for it.

Should the ruling go against Cambodia then i would advise all Thai nationals in that country to maintain a very low profile. Public anger there might very well turn against Thai people who have nothing to do with the issue except being Thai.

The PM/DM and her cousin the DPM/FM are no doubt acting under orders to present a proactive mature approach in preparing to accept and implement the ICJ ruling as any serious member of the UN would.

Of course, this has nothing to do with PTP's ambition to get a non-permanent seat on the UN Security Council. which would be seriously negatively impacted if they didn't fully support and comply with the ruling.

Seat on UNSC - more chances to toady up to their new Chinese friends and play them off against the Americans perhaps?

All part of the master plan.

Does anybody have any serious ideas as to how the UN will play this one ? Why? ..... I can only see any decision being decided on a coin toss.

Are you serious about this?

Why would the UN do a thing - why would they change rulings made 50 years ago - and the post World war II settlements!? ... because of the internal political bickering of ONE country??. This is a non issue for the rest fo SEasia and of course the world. It is only of interest to political parties in Thailand!!!!!

Edited by LomSak27