Tourist multi entry visa

Hello All,
I am a New Zealand citizen living in USA with green card.
I plan on visiting Thailand January 1st 2014 and staying for as long as possible.
I understand that if I get a one way airline ticket I also need to show another ticket out of Thailand because I am not US citizen.
If this is correct, is the date on the airline ticket important?
I would like to get multiple entry visa in USA and renew in Thailand for an extra 30 days after the initial 60 days run out,

Then make a trip to Cambodia to re-enter.
When I provide plane ticket to Thai consulate for initial multi entry visa does it need to be for end of March (just under 90 days after arrival) or does it need to be within 60 days?

Hope I am not making this to confusing.

Thanks

There is no such thing as a multi entry tourist visa. They are issued for 1, 2 or 3 entries. They cost #49, #80 and $120 respectively.If you have a visa you don not need an onward ticket exiting Thailand. You should try to get a triple entry just before your departure and you can get almost 270 days in Thailand with two border runs and three 30 day extensions at immigration - cost 1900 baht. Contact the Honary Consulate inb Portlandm preferably by phone, to see what the current requirements are for a non US citizen: Visa application porcedures, Portland Oregon.doc

Edited by wayned
  • Like 2

There is no such thing as a multi entry tourist visa. They are issued for 1, 2 or 3 entries. They cost #49, #80 and $120 respectively.If you have a visa you don not need an onward ticket exiting Thailand. You should try to get a triple entry just before your departure and you can get almost 270 days in Thailand with two border runs and three 30 day extensions at immigration - cost 1900 baht. Contact the Honary Consulate inb Portlandm preferably by phone, to see what the current requirements are for a non US citizen: attachicon.gifVisa application porcedures, Portland Oregon.doc

Sorry, should be $40 and $80 not #49 and #80.

Since you are a US resident there will be no problem for you to get a tourist visa in the US.

You can find a list of the various honorary Thai consulates in the US here. http://www.visetkaew.com/wp/directories/

If you use an honorary consulate you would be best to contact them to find out if you have to go to the honorary consulate with your documentation. The Atlanta, Georgia consulate will no longer accept an application by mail (UPS/Fed X). You have to go to the consulate in person. They than will send it back to you. They were told by the Thai consulate in DC to no longer accept mailed in applications. I know first hand for I contacted them first.

Edited by lopburi3
correct font

There is no such thing as a multi entry tourist visa. They are issued for 1, 2 or 3 entries. They cost #49, #80 and $120 respectively.If you have a visa you don not need an onward ticket exiting Thailand. You should try to get a triple entry just before your departure and you can get almost 270 days in Thailand with two border runs and three 30 day extensions at immigration - cost 1900 baht. Contact the Honary Consulate inb Portlandm preferably by phone, to see what the current requirements are for a non US citizen: attachicon.gifVisa application porcedures, Portland Oregon.doc

note. some airlines when boarding plane in usa have hassled people saying that thai authoritys will not let them in kingdom without an onward ticket..........im not sure how this has played out........airlines probably do it cause they are pissed u didn't buy a return withthem but in your case u can just say , I am a multinational and I am going to a different country afterward.......I do think that if u try to get a 3 entry tourist visa. thai embassy in usa might not give one because they want to know how long u ar staying in kingdom .......guess u just try it and see if they give u one

Since you are a US resident there will be no problem for you to get a tourist visa in the US.

You can find a list of the various honorary Thai consulates in the US here. http://www.visetkaew.com/wp/directories/

If you use an honorary consulate you would be best to contact them to find out if you have to go to the honorary consulate with your documentation. The Atlanta, Georgia consulate will no longer accept an application by mail (UPS/Fed X). You have to go to the consulate in person. They than will send it back to you. They were told by the Thai consulate in DC to no longer accept mailed in applications. I know first hand for I contacted them first.

That's exactly why I suggested that the OP contact the Portland Consulate by phone!

That's exactly why I suggested that the OP contact the Portland Consulate by phone!

...or any of the honorary consulates you might be considering. Back in the SEP timeframe, not only was there an announcement about an embassy-directed prohibition on mailed-in visa applications affecting the HCs, but something about HCs only handling applications originating within their respective regions. I realize that the walk-in reqt might seem to obviate this, but just in case you're on travel withn the States and trying to get the visa business done. Definitely phone or email first. Oh, also, you might have a difficult time getting a triple-entry visa from an HC. 'Think the regular thai consulates will still do though. But again, be aware of the possible "in-region" thing being imposed. ( I'm sort of hoping that turns out to be a "passing fad".)

The interesting question is how long do you intend to stay?

As long as possible could mean ten or more years... Which means that you need an income stream... Thailand is not as cheap as a lot of folk would have you think.

As a kiwi, you have automatic entrance to Oz... And with a US green card, one would think the world your oyster, so this raises questions on motivation.

None the less... Entry is easy and permits over rated.

You will get an automatic visa on arrival at any Thai airport... No worries.

Then... Seemingly the largest "legal" business in Thailand is visa runs.

You spend a day in a dangerously driven (but that's part of the Thai adventure) bus, cross a land border, have you passport stamped, then go home again. (Yes.. I know... There are horror stories herein... My wife was once caught in a Burmese border incursion crossfire between Burmese and Thai special forces... Thai adventure comment again)

Once accustomed to the way of things, a savvy lawyer, for a fist full of dollars, can organize a year long visa, requiring only monthly visits to the local immigration department for stamping.

Discovering the ins and outs takes some time and research and alcohol at local bars, of which there are too many to count.

On the issue of return fares... Not needed... Airline check in chicks have as much power as the ones at your local supermarket.

When they ask for your return ticket, demand to see a supervisor and tell them whatever you want... Eg... You haven't decided we're to go next... Cambodia... No... Vietnam... No... KL... But that you will sort it out with the THAI immigrations people, not the US Immigrations people.

Very worst case.... Wander across to a cheap airline and purchase a fully refundable one way ticket from Bangkok to OZ... Then have it refunded a week later

On this subject... Having been traveling into and out of the kingdom, without onward bound tickets, for five years... I can assure you that the Thai authorities do not care... As long as you can demonstrate that you can support yourself... That is key... Money... ,if you don't have it... Don't come

He would not get a visa on arrival it would be a visa exempt entry to Thailand.

If you don't have a visa and no onward or return ticket within 30 days you can be denied boarding. Airlines do enforce this rule because they could be subject to a fine and would be responsible for return airfare if a person was denied entry.

Hi

It's fascinating to read all the various responses I've been travelling back & fro to Thailand for 10 yrs always with a return ticket the only refusal at check in was my brother going back from Sydney to BKK without his usual 1yr visa he lives in Chiang Mai as suggested he had to quickly buy on onward ticket not easy at Syd airport at 8.30 am. I'm returning to Thai next week with a double entry TR visa with a one way ticket I asked the official at the Thai Consulate if an onward was required his response was to laugh & tell me they do'nt care but the airline might refuse you so will have laptop on hand just in case--the guy at the consulate behind me said no you only need when you have to go for a VOA.

Good Luck

If you have a visa a return or onward ticket is not needed. Enter info here and IATA linked website will confirm it. http://www.staralliance.com/en/services/visa-and-health/#
If you were getting a VOA instead of a visa exempt entry you would need to show a ticket to get it.
Website will also confirm that a ticket out of the country within 30 days is needed if you don't have a visa and are getting a visa exempt entry.

Edited by ubonjoe

It seems like there is more than the average number of brand new posters on this topic. A couple of them even sound the same.

"Once accustomed to the way of things, a savvy lawyer, for a fist full of dollars, can organize a year long visa, requiring only monthly visits to the local immigration department for stamping."

Monthly reporting? Really? Not too savvy - the lawyer or the client.

Then I saw he posted this;

"Discovering the ins and outs takes some time and research and alcohol at local bars,..."

Ah, now I see where he's getting his info from. Usually not such a good idea.

• Like 2

Savvy lawyers, alcohol, money... Whatever it takes.

A check of my passport shows sixty four Thai stamps since 12/2009.

I have rarely ever had a ticket to leave Thailand, prior to entering the kingdom

I have never been asked by a Thai official for an exit ticket

I have never been denied entry or held up in any way, within the kingdom.

I have, however, been quizzed on return tickets outside of the kingdom, but have always talked my way out of that situation, though my brother once had an issue leaving sydney.(overcome by purchasing a refundable virgin ticket, which he had refunded whilst still in Thailand)

I come and go unhindered, and have for years, but I'm not here to try and run a legitimate (or otherwise) business, which may make a difference.

My wife ,however (oh dear... Also a farang... So arguably I have double the insight) ,rarely leaves the kingdom, and has had a variety of visas to legitimize her residency, thanks to savvy lawyers and networking (if that be your preferred terminology) and she too, has never had a problem coming or going

Oftentimes it's easier to over complicate things than the reverse

And ... It's also interesting to note that throughout history, as much wheeling and dealing is done at the bar than at the office.... Or again, if terminology offends... Gentle mans clubs, etc etc

But as always... To each his... Or her.... Own.

Come... Look... Talk to people (in offices if it makes you feel more comfortable) investigate property availability, observe the culture and customs... And only then make your decision

If you are doing as well as you claim I would think that you have a visa or an extension of stay with a re-entry permit that you have been using in your travels. That would be the reason you have not needed a return or onward ticket.

There have been many reports of people being denied boarding of their flight for not having a ticket out of the country when they did not have a visa. Some have even ended up with very expensive return tickets they did not want.

Edited by ubonjoe

Apologies... Correction needed to my last post.

My wife' has just informed me that her faring /Thai legal firm take her passport into the immigration department trimonthly, for processing, and that she herself has not seen the inside of an immigration office for eighteen months.

So... Maybe newbies do have some value to add.

In fact, after reading this forum and it's oftentimes vitriolic and demeaning posts, I have finally signed up to have a say as we'll.

Savvy lawyers, alcohol, money... Whatever it takes.

A check of my passport shows sixty four Thai stamps since 12/2009.

I have rarely ever had a ticket to leave Thailand, prior to entering the kingdom

I have never been asked by a Thai official for an exit ticket

I have never been denied entry or held up in any way, within the kingdom.

I have, however, been quizzed on return tickets outside of the kingdom, but have always talked my way out of that situation, though my brother once had an issue leaving sydney.(overcome by purchasing a refundable virgin ticket, which he had refunded whilst still in Thailand)

I come and go unhindered, and have for years, but I'm not here to try and run a legitimate (or otherwise) business, which may make a difference.

My wife ,however (oh dear... Also a farang... So arguably I have double the insight) ,rarely leaves the kingdom, and has had a variety of visas to legitimize her residency, thanks to savvy lawyers and networking (if that be your preferred terminology) and she too, has never had a problem coming or going

Oftentimes it's easier to over complicate things than the reverse

And ... It's also interesting to note that throughout history, as much wheeling and dealing is done at the bar than at the office.... Or again, if terminology offends... Gentle mans clubs, etc etc

But as always... To each his... Or her.... Own.

Come... Look... Talk to people (in offices if it makes you feel more comfortable) investigate property availability, observe the culture and customs... And only then make your decision

So an average of 16 entries/exits per year ! Glad you can afford the expense ! I am sure the savvy lawyers are delighted to have you as a "client"!

Most of us do not get our information about immigration issues from bars or "savvy" lawyers" ! Nor do we find ourselves having to leave the country many times a year !

I am not sure what point you are trying to make but would urge that those who do not yet know their way around to seek advise here and of course to reject whatever it is you are trying to say.

• Like 1

Apologies... Correction needed to my last post.

My wife' has just informed me that her faring /Thai legal firm take her passport into the immigration department trimonthly, for processing, and that she herself has not seen the inside of an immigration office for eighteen months.

So... Maybe newbies do have some value to add.

In fact, after reading this forum and it's oftentimes vitriolic and demeaning posts, I have finally signed up to have a say as we'll.

So you had no idea your wife had a visa, you're leaving the country monthly, and you're spending all your time in bars?!

You answered questions the OP didn't ask yet gave poor advice to his basic question and continue to argue.

Thanks.

• Like 1

If you are going to get the visa in the US then you will need to go through the Embassy/Consulate or an agent. The cost of the agent is cheap enough and you get things back within a couple of days (depending on where you are... I got mine in LA and it was easy and cost me only $60 for the agent and $200 for the Consulate). I was given a double entry 60-day. So it was fine by me. Extensions are easy for the additional 30-days (at 1900bht) per. However, you WILL need a round trip ticket. The Thais like to see that. A one way will just raise eyebrows and you might only be given a basic tourist visa (60-day with no extensions). It is all in the paperwork. The agent should walk you through it all, but include any and all other information (such as : if you have kids in the US, house, etc. The fact that you only have a Green Card for the US looks to the Thais as if you have nothing more than a long stay visa for the US and will not take into account the vetting you went through to get it.

My suggestion is to go through an agent (I can give you the name of one in LA that I used). They have 'contacts' within the Thai system and so it should be easier in the long run.

Hope this helps.

you might only be given a basic tourist visa (60-day with no extensions).

There is no visa with the condition you state.

There is a single entry tourist visa which can be extended in Thailand for 30 days

If you think you are correct please provide your evidence.

Never heard of this either, but can imagine the extension being disapproved at an immigration office if you manage to somehow give them cause to (I think you'd have to work at it as long as you have the fee...).