Female suicide bomber kills 6 on bus in southwest Russia

News_Editor

VOLGOGRAD, RUSSIA (BNO NEWS) -- Six people were killed Monday when a woman with explosives strapped to her body entered a bus in southwestern Russia and blew herself up, local authorities said, adding to security fears ahead of the upcoming Winter Olympics in the country.

The attack happened at around 2 p.m. local time on a bus driving on a main road in Volgograd, a city about 920 kilometers (571 miles) southeast of Moscow. Video from a dashboard camera on a nearby vehicle showed the bus traveling at high speed until an explosion ripped through the vehicle, after which it slowly comes to a halt.

Emergency services in the region said a total of seven people, including the suicide bomber, were killed while 33 others were injured. "Twenty-eight of them were hospitalized, including eight people who are in intensive care," one official said. "Many of the injured are in a critical condition."

Vladimir Markin, a spokesman for Russia's Investigative Committee, identified the suspected suicide bomber as a 30-year-old woman from the North Caucasus republic of Dagestan. Militants in Dagestan regularly carry out attacks against security forces, police, and civilians, more than a decade after a separatist war ended in Chechnya.

"According to information obtained by investigators, the woman in hijab got on board of the bus at one of the stops, after which the explosion took place almost immediately," Markin said. "At the moment, investigators are continuing to examine the scene of the incident. Witnesses and survivors have been questioned, and video from surveillance cameras has been seized and studied."

Islamist militants in the region have been fighting Russian security forces for years, looking to establish an independent state in the North Caucasus, but attacks in other parts of the country are rare. Around 50 percent of all terrorist-related violence in Russia in 2010 happened in the mainly-Muslim region.

Chechen Islamist rebel leader Dokka Umarov claimed responsibility for ordering the suicide bombing that killed 37 people and injured approximately 200 more at Moscow's Domodedovo airport in January 2011. It followed a twin suicide bombing on the Moscow subway in March 2010, killing 40 people and injuring 120 others.

(Copyright 2013 by BNO News B.V. All rights reserved. Info: [email protected].)

How on God's given Earth are Russia, America, China and Europe going to stop this? Acting together they might be able to stop Global Warming, but stopping the religious fanatics is a whole lot more complex problem.

How on God's given Earth are Russia, America, China and Europe going to stop this? Acting together they might be able to stop Global Warming, but stopping the religious fanatics is a whole lot more complex problem.

Bombing the capitals of the religious fanatics and these countries will crack down on religious fanatics to save their own skin

Your way of doing nothing will just get more peaceful citizens

Bombing will force these countries to police religious fanatics The West Russia and China and the rest of the world can not

All the political correctness on the West isn't helping the issue either, there're so many muslims now in England/ US/ Canada, etc, that any aggressive action on one of their countries will start a local conflict. We have seen it already with the terrorists acts in US (even though I only partially believe the 911 was actually an Al Qaeda attack), all the bombings in England some years back, etc... Eye for an eye...

• Like 1

Putin started this particular fight, why does everyone else have to do his dirty work for him?

Putin is no angel for sure, but the fight started when Islam moved out of the Arabian peninsula in the 7th century and has continued on and off since then. Geographic separation of a death cult from it's victims is the only answer, eventually the present PC denial will end and what follows then remains to be seen.

• Like 1

Dagestan, Chechnya, Ingushetia etc are about more than just religion. It's that fatal combination of nationalism and religion as the rallying cry plus a healthy dose of extreme heavy-handedness by the Russian security forces. No easy solution.

• Like 1

Bombing the capitals of the religious fanatics and these countries will crack down on religious fanatics to save their own skin

Your way of doing nothing will just get more peaceful citizens

Bombing will force these countries to police religious fanatics The West Russia and China and the rest of the world can not

Russians already tried this in Chechnya. Sent in tanks and APCs first time round and got seriously kicked. Next time round they just flattened the city first with air and artillery strikes then mopped up the pieces. Funnily enough the bad guys were long gone and elsewhere.

Only Russia America China and Europe acting together can stop this.

When are they going to unite to end the problem?

Oh that's good then, Asia doesn't have to do anything.

Is China no longer in Asia? Don't forget Africa and the Aussies.....

Move all the religions people on one continent and burn the bridges! No ins or outs. The rest of the world will be in piece!

Unfortunately for this cunning plan the majority of the world's population is actually religious. It might be a bit of a squish

• Like 1

All the political correctness on the West isn't helping the issue either, there're so many muslims now in England/ US/ Canada, etc, that any aggressive action on one of their countries will start a local conflict. We have seen it already with the terrorists acts in US (even though I only partially believe the 911 was actually an Al Qaeda attack), all the bombings in England some years back, etc... Eye for an eye...

So who was responsible for the missing part of the Sept 11th attacks?

Putin started this particular fight, why does everyone else have to do his dirty work for him?

Putin is no angel for sure, but the fight started when Islam moved out of the Arabian peninsula in the 7th century and has continued on and off since then. Geographic separation of a death cult from it's victims is the only answer, eventually the present PC denial will end and what follows then remains to be seen.

so quite what are you suggesting?

Move all the religions people on one continent and burn the bridges! No ins or outs. The rest of the world will be in piece!

Unfortunately for this cunning plan the majority of the world's population is actually religious. It might be a bit of a squish

That was a point - leave us atheists in piece and out of all the religious BS.

So who was responsible for the missing part of the Sept 11th attacks?

There are few conspiracy theories and at lease one suggests the US did it to themselves. This is what I believe really happened but I will not discuss this any further as it's the offtopic.

I don't know about the rest of you, but as for the US, bring it. We'll hunt them down and kill them no matter what it takes ala Bin Laden.

On US soil in smaller groups, I have 100 million citizens with 300 million guns (and attitudes) any one of whom can legally shoot them if they put anyone in danger of serious bodily injury or death.

I like it. Few other countries understand that culture, and that's fine with me.

• Like 1

I'm out of likes. "Like."

I don't know about the rest of you, but as for the US, bring it. We'll hunt them down and kill them no matter what it takes ala Bin Laden.

On US soil in smaller groups, I have 100 million citizens with 300 million guns (and attitudes) any one of whom can legally shoot them if they put anyone in danger of serious bodily injury or death.

I like it. Few other countries understand that culture, and that's fine with me.

"bring it on" attitude contributed to the deaths of thousands of US & NATO servicemen & women, but I guess it's safe for you personally to say, sitting in the US homeland or Thailand.

The US/NATO is currently on course to overtly militarily disengage with the Islamic majority countries and where strategically viable winding down interfering in their domestic affairs; in my opinion the best course of action to slowly diminish the motivation & rhetorical justification for Islamic extremists. The downside risk, for the moment, is US & Russia are on track to revert to Cold War style proxy wars in support of their Sunni/Shiite client countries, let's hope there is not too much blow back.

so quite what are you suggesting?

No suggestions, rather a prediction. People are losing patience with Islamist violence and intimidation and governments will soon be forced to act. History may not repeat itself, but it does echo, I envisage a trend where Islamic 'civilization' separates geographically from other civilizations, how this comes about is anyone's guess, but I predict it won't be pleasant for anyone.

P.S According to the following RT article the suicide bomber converted her husband to radical Islam. funny how many such converts promptly misunderstand the peaceful nature of the religion they join.

http://rt.com/news/volgograd-blast-militant-wife-518/

Why on earth? YOU are an infidel as well !

• Like 1

I call myself an atheist, your opinion doesn't matter to me.

I call myself an atheist, your opinion doesn't matter to me.

tongue.png I have not one Baht's worth opinion on what you call yourself, I was joking, you can call yourself atheist nonbeliever, disbeliever, unbeliever, skeptic, doubter, doubting Thomas, agnostic; nihilist...and more wai.gif