Firework tragedies mark end of Buddhist Lent in Thailand

webfact

Firework Tragedies Mark End Of Buddhist Lent
By Khaosos Online

BANGKOK: -- Local hospital in many provinces have been overwhelmed by fireworks-related injuries and deaths during the End of Buddhist Lent celebration throughout the weekend.

The Lent, also known as Buddhist Rainy (Vassa) Season, required monks to reside in their monasteries for three months. The traditions are believed to date back to Lord Buddha′s instruction that the monks should not venture out of their abodes during the rainy seasons lest they damage local crops and hurt the small animals.

In present days, the End of Buddhist Lent is celebrated with religious ceremonies and fireworks, which have caused many injuries and deaths annually, despite a legal restriction on fireworks. Loy Kratong Day, celebrated in November, is also associated with large number of fireworks-related casualties.

As for this year, local hospitals in Udon Thani have received 63 firework explosion victims, 53 of them is still waiting for further diagnosis.

In the neighbouring Amnat Charoen province, at least 11 people were sent to the hospitals due to firework accidents in the province, said Mr. Songkiat Lektrakul, director of Amnat Charoen Provincial Hospital.

Many victims of the firework explosion are school kids, he added. Reportedly, a group of children tried to ignite a firecracker before putting the firework in a glass bottle, but it prematurely exploded. This explosion alone injured 6 children.

In another case, Mr. Wanchai, 30, told doctors that he blew up a ping-pong firework in his hand, a grave injury that might cost him fingers, doctors said. Another man, Mr. Bancherd, 46, also took his son to the hospital after many parts of the boy’s body was burned by firework explosion.

A firework explosion also killed a man at Wat Pang Phak Hee temple in Mae Chan district, Chiang Rai province, after the man attempted to launch a faulty homemade firework.

According to witnesses, the victim, who is later identified as Mr. Ekkachai Maneerat, 19, was severely injured by a firework he made. Reportedly, a crack on the tube caused an explosion and destroyed the man’s left hand, left arm, chest and face.

The man died shortly after the incident, despite the efforts of the monks and novices to save his life. Mr. Ekkachia′s body has been arranged for autopsy, the police said, adding that they have also found other equipment for firework crafting at the scene.

Police across the country said they had been trying to cope with the situation and arranged patrols around the various vicinities. However, the attempt to curb on the illegal selling of fireworks appeared to be unsuccessful, as many vendors simply ignored the restriction on flammable substances.

Nevertheless, senior police officers insisted that those who violated the law will soon be arrested.

Meanwhile, in Lampang province, fire fighters rushed to control a fire in Mueang district, after a one-story house which had been storing firework equipments exploded into huge blaze.

A sign reading “No Flammable Substances” was posted in front of the building, which presumably stored the fireworks for sale during End of Buddhist Lent holidays.

Reports say firefighters took only 20 minutes to control the fire, but they were unable to save the building and some of the nearby houses. No report for injury or death was reported.

Ms. Boonphan Phewphan, 53, the owner of the building, said that she could not figure out any possible reason of the explosion, and affirmed that nobody was in the building during the time.

In 2011, Ms. Boonphan’s husband was badly injured in a similar firework explosion at the building, and later died at Chiang Mai hospital, prompting Lampang authorities to state that they would tighten the restriction on illegal storage of fireworks.

Source: http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNNE1qTTFOemcxTWc9PQ==

-- KHAOSOD English 2013-10-22

• Like 1

Wait for it.

It happens everywhere. This is why I left the nanny state to come to Thailand. If you don't like it leave.

How terribly sad.

Very well said, lets just wait until the comments come about how unsafe it is, as England is not much better!!!!!

• Like 1

Many victims of the firework explosion are school kids, he added. Reportedly, a group of children tried to ignite a firecracker before putting the firework in a glass bottle, but it prematurely exploded. This explosion alone injured 6 children.

Horrific, and stupidity of the first order.

A young boy aged 14 I believe was killed in an accident in my home village in Scotland ( at that time ) about 12 years ago. Yes these accidents happen everywhere that doesn't mean you can't try to eradicate them. An impossible task I believe but cutting down on the more stupid accidents would be a start.

Obviously those police who are sent to check on fireworks dealers simple accept the envelope package from the vendor and then look the other way.The blood is on their hands the rotten DHs.I am amazed that the police do seem to arrest some people for various crimes but whether they are ever punished is another story.What about all those Officers who are drunk on duty-so if you want to clean up your force and your image start there-no alcohol on the job or hit the road Jack,including the Officers who set the standard of drunkeness in some cases.Of course what we are writing here is considered blasphemous by these out of control,control freaks,but any other sane person would just accept it as free speech and honest criticism.I too have noticed here, from the outset, that Thais cannot take any criticism.What the leaders do the people follow.There are also many good things about Thailand and basically Thais are very generous and good people but there is still a lot of room for improvement.especially in the attitude dept.

When I was based in Jakarta doing TV news on December 31st we'd go to Monas,

a large park and National Monument, jam packed with people to shoot not just

the fireworks but the aftermath. This would usually entail ambulances & private

vehicles lined up to take the injured to hospitals for emergency surgery. Missing

fingers, hands, eyes, horrible injuries caused not by the fireworks display...by

homemade fireworks...many of which are easily classified as bombs by POLRI

due to their size & power. POLRI...Indonesia's coppers.

In LOS huge homemade & store bought fireworks are easily obtainable and

cheaper than dirt. Put those in the hands of idiots and disasters will happen.

Especially if the huge tennisball & beer can size firecrackers are used in

confined (read packed with people) spaces...they only go BOOM...once.

Fireworks - moronic, infantile, boring waste of time, money and life. Old-git speak ? Nah, i felt it around 10 years old when my old man bless him excitedly opened 'my' Guy Fawkes box of fireworks back in the day; i tried to look enthusiastic for his sake but really i wanted to piss off indoors. Wouldn't give a monkeys if nobody lit one of the stupid things ever again.

I'm back in Oz at the moment, but got an hysterical phone call from the wife on Sat night. Our house in Chaiyaphum is up in flames, everything gone...she only has the clothes she was wearing. Thank God she is OK. She thinks it was a 'rocket' (fireworks) set off by a neighbour. *#^#...flying back tomorrow....

I'm back in Oz at the moment, but got an hysterical phone call from the wife on Sat night. Our house in Chaiyaphum is up in flames, everything gone...she only has the clothes she was wearing. Thank God she is OK. She thinks it was a 'rocket' (fireworks) set off by a neighbour. *#^#...flying back tomorrow....

wish you and wife all the best mate
  • Like 2

Sorry to read that.

No victims at least

• Like 1

In the main, Thai people are uneducated. And reckless to say the least. You only have to see the way they drive to realise the little importance to attach to human life.

if they want to treat fireworks with the same sort of respect, well............you reap what you sow. !!!

True and the Thai people are willing to pay the price. If the price is to high for you cower in your room.wai2.gif

Why do people come to Thailand and try to turn it into as nanny state. sad.png

Is it because of the easy availability to get sex, drugs and booze?sad.png

I do feel sorry for the victims of the accidents, however where were the parents when the 6 young children were injured prior to trying to place a " banger " in a bottle.

I don't understand the three day celebration for the end of Budhist Lent, when the monks are confined to their temples, because they don't do it. I see plenty of them around town and the small villages begging from the poor, one of the many vows that they break.

"Nevertheless, senior police officers insisted that those who violated the law will soon be arrested."

They never miss this statement

I love them

. . . .yes, minus their hands and eyes etc. . great stuff. Public awareness ads on tv? I mean television, perhaps.

don't make your own when you can buy them. . . It needs something for sure . .

hope for the wife she did not sell the house .....it would cause YOU to explode .

I am sorry to say that the locals are not really grown up enough to allow public,storage,usage or manufacture of these small bombs,The health and safety culture is exemplified by the useless crash helmets given away with cheap bikes,rail services,construction site accidents often under reported as few Hi-Sos or important folks involved usually slave Burmese.

All this in a nation with nuclear aspirations.

Fireworks - moronic, infantile, boring waste of time, money and life. Old-git speak ? Nah, i felt it around 10 years old when my old man bless him excitedly opened 'my' Guy Fawkes box of fireworks back in the day; i tried to look enthusiastic for his sake but really i wanted to piss off indoors. Wouldn't give a monkeys if nobody lit one of the stupid things ever again.

I can understand your feeling in regards to fireworks as your avatar is a frog.

As the story goes….

Teacher asks “What did you do on the holiday”

Little Johnny answers, “We got some frogs and put crackers up their arse”

Teacher, “Correct English please Johnny, The word is Rectum”

Little Johnny, “Sure did Miss, blew em to bits”