Do you wai?

Nautilus05

Do you wai to people while in Thailand? Maybe I'm wrong, but I never wai to anyone. I'll politely smile, nod, say thank you, but will never wai.

It's just for example, I've seen fathers lecturing their 4yo sons on how to wai properly before, so I'm just going under the assumption I have no clue how to wai properly, and if I try it I'll probably just make an ass out of myself, plus probably be disrespectful towards Thais in general, and especially whoever I'm wai'ing too. So instead I just smile, nod, say "kawp khun kap", and carry about my merry way.

What about you? Do you wai?

• Like 1

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't nod or smile randomly at strangers either, makes you look slightly retarded.

I smile at the pretty girls ... that's acceptable, isn't it?

That's not random, a selection process takes place in our minds first.

Edited by FiftyTwo
  • Like 1

No, never. It's not my culture.

Leave it to the Thais.

What about at the Temple?

How did you indicate respect?

I was told I don't need to wai anyone but it would be decent to do so for the head monk. So I did. Exceptional circumstances.

I might not be up for wai'ing random strangers and passing dogs, but I will pay respect to a Head Monk that is teaching me and housing me. Wai'ing young monks and the like? No chance.

It was made clear that I am not Buddhist, I can show respect to people without making some weird half assed hand gestures.

• Like 2

Would you expect a Thai person to shake hands in your country? What would you think of those who said, "I refuse to shake hands, it's not my culture"? I'd probably say, "piss off back to your own country then".

Of course I wai. It does take a while before one can do it properly and know when to and when not to wai.

Your second line says it all sir. Unless some Thai is going to guide you through the do's and don'ts, it's better to not get involved for fear of making a faux pas or causing embarrassment to the Thais witnessing it, never mind yourself.

On a side note, I don't see a lot of wai'ing going on in daily life. Maybe it's a dying art.

No, never. It's not my culture.

Leave it to the Thais.

You didnt Wai when you met the head Monk ? To say thank you for enter and stay at the temple, or when you left ?

I wouldn't enter a Buddhist temple to stay at the temple only if I am Buddhist and therefor regard the head monk and wai him.

But as non Buddhist I wouldn't enter the temple and would Wai or not Wai him the same as any other people.

Yes, I do.

To Thai family when they arrive at our home, to the MiL who loves it and then gives me a big hug (she's 87), and to the chair of meetings with Thai corporations, government ministers, royalty (once, princess Sirindhorn with about 500 others).

And my wife, when I'm in her bad books :)

• Like 2

The most important thing when waiing is to do it with mindfulness. A quick wai is even ruder than not waiing when it is appropriate to do so..

Waiing 15 people in the morning and evening must be quick, and if the wai wouldn't be quick, the person would be already away....

It is also a little complex too. There is 'protocol'.

Exactly, and this is why I don't wai. I know there's different positions you should put your hands in, different depths you should bow your head, and so on, and all depending on who you're wai'ing. I have no clue where my fingers should be in relation to my nose, or how far my head should be down, so it's simple... I just don't wai. smile.png

Edited by Nautilus05
  • Like 1

To my surprise:

My staff when leaving, Wai the picture of the king, the small Buddhist shrine, me, my wife....everything complete normal....BUT 2 of them also wai the production machine.

They told me the production machine makes the money from which their salary is paid from which they live so they wai it smile.png

• Like 1