CM Immigration - Marriage Visa Extension: Updating Bank Book, Slight Change.

Kellynch

I have an Asian American friend who married a permanent resident of Thaiand. They reside in Bangkok and are thinking of moving to CM and have their address changed accordingly.

In Bangkok, he renews his marriage visa yearly (non-immigrant "O"?). He needed no bank letter or showed his bank book in the past 7-8 years when he went for the renewal. He did it as recently as a couple of months ago. Is CM different across the board for all foreigners? If it really is, I need to let him know before he decides to move here and have their address changed. Thanks!

There are some denizens on TV, such as Mario2008, who have made it their mission to become knowledgeable about Immigration matters. He, and others like him deserve a vote of thanks, but I have never really understood why people go to "beer buddies" (and that is what ThaiVisa is writ large) for incidental information without having checked with the Thai Immigration website. So many times it seems to lead to poorly expressed misinformation and misdirection.

Yes, yes, I know it can be confusing and one has to be patient sometimes --- and local office considerations might differ slightly. Usually that has to do with enforcing the letter of the law (or the police order). There's always the bloody detail! But when it comes to Chiang Mai, the office in many years of my experience, has been remarkably consistent with Immigration rules as posted both in the law and in the police orders implementing the law. That's right! No big surprises; just maybe one or a few photocopies more needed, et cetera. So, what's to really complain about? And maybe you have to come back tomorrow. So, is that Immigration's fault or the megapress of new farang in Chiang Mai?

Yes, I think the Chiang Mai Immigration office procedures need some improvement, especially to provide more easily-understood procedures at the office, but immense strides have been made to improve service there. If you think it is a bother to visit that office, then you really don't understand what bother is!

Back to the bit about money in the bank for long-stay extensions, the reason --- as if you haven't already guessed --- for tightening up a bit on the bank accounts is very simple. So many foreigners have played so many games, played the system --- not even truly meeting the minimal reserve requirement in a sensible way --- or with short-term loans and shared rotating bank accounts among bar buddies, that the Immigration officials from time to time make it a bit harder (within the law) for foreigners to comply.

When I went last March or so this new requirement was quite an embarrassment to the staff. They told me about it with apologies and were having great difficulty explaining it to an elderly French man at the next desk.

My bank book and letter were from the previous day but they didn't like the fact that my bank book had no transactions for six months or more, even though the balance matched the bank letter. I had to go to a branch, make a transaction and get the book updated. Yes, the balance on the book and the letter were now different, but that was okay.

To be absolutely sure I would make a transaction the day before you visit immigration and get the letter at the same time. That would be foolproof, I think?

My theory is that the agencies offering visas with 'no bank deposit required' are doing some kind of fiddle and the immigration found out.

Can you make a transaction on a fixed account ?

My question in my last post (#33) seems to have received no response. Perhaps I should rephrase my question as below:

Has anyone applied at the CM Immigration for an extension of visa based on marriage and not required to show the bank letter and the passbook?

It seems awe to me that while the Immigration in Bangkok requires no bank letter or passbook, but here in CM, it's required with stringency - according to some posters.

Appreciate your attention!

Edited by muchogra

When I went last March or so this new requirement was quite an embarrassment to the staff. They told me about it with apologies and were having great difficulty explaining it to an elderly French man at the next desk.

My bank book and letter were from the previous day but they didn't like the fact that my bank book had no transactions for six months or more, even though the balance matched the bank letter. I had to go to a branch, make a transaction and get the book updated. Yes, the balance on the book and the letter were now different, but that was okay.

To be absolutely sure I would make a transaction the day before you visit immigration and get the letter at the same time. That would be foolproof, I think?

My theory is that the agencies offering visas with 'no bank deposit required' are doing some kind of fiddle and the immigration found out.

yes

• Like 1

yes

What sort of transaction would that be ? without losing any interest and if placing on deposit at what rate ?

Out of all the (thousands?) accounts I've read or heard of regarding renewal, stories of being sent to update a passbook which was updated a day or two before is miniscule and I doubt even these accounts....sorry. There is a lot of scare mongering that goes on here and I really cannot see anyone being told to go and update a book that was updated a day before, especially as immigration knows how early some people without appointments get there. Sorry, I don't think it happens and I wouldn't be scared, just update the book the day before, Bank are open in malls 7 days a week so it's not difficult. I don't like immigration, it's well documented. But having said that, In all the years I've been here I've never had a problem and no-one else will if all paperwork is in order.

1. Fret and stress about getting an update on the day

2. Get it done the day before and don't fret or stress.

Now bring forth all the posters who have been told to update the same day. laugh.png

Why do you doubt my account of what happened? Is the concept of immigration requiring me to do something that is not exactly as they had you do it beyond your ability to comprehend? And, how can this be construed as scaremongering? There is nothing scary about it, at least to any reasonable person. The lady at immigration didn't yell at me, threaten me, or tell me to come back tomorrow or next week. She politely told me what needed to be done to continue processing my paperwork. I took the 3 to 4 minute walk to Central Plaza, made my small transaction, got my book updated and walked back. Didn't even have to wait in line, just went in and gave the lady my passbook. She even made the new copies for me.

As I stated in my previous post, last year the bank letter and passbook update were both done 5 days prior to my visit to immigration, and it was not an issue. This year they were both done 2 days prior to my visit, but this was not acceptable to immigration this time.

It is through this forum that I have learned a lot about Thailand, its culture and customs, and things that affect expats. I have learned to expect the unexpected, and not to get too worked up when things don't go the way I anticipated, especially when dealing with government offices. I try to add what little I can to this process. You have made significant contributions to this forum, and I respect you for that, but I do resent being called a liar.

Out of all the (thousands?) accounts I've read or heard of regarding renewal, stories of being sent to update a passbook which was updated a day or two before is miniscule and I doubt even these accounts....sorry. There is a lot of scare mongering that goes on here and I really cannot see anyone being told to go and update a book that was updated a day before, especially as immigration knows how early some people without appointments get there. Sorry, I don't think it happens and I wouldn't be scared, just update the book the day before, Bank are open in malls 7 days a week so it's not difficult. I don't like immigration, it's well documented. But having said that, In all the years I've been here I've never had a problem and no-one else will if all paperwork is in order.

1. Fret and stress about getting an update on the day

2. Get it done the day before and don't fret or stress.

Now bring forth all the posters who have been told to update the same day. laugh.png

Why do you doubt my account of what happened? Is the concept of immigration requiring me to do something that is not exactly as they had you do it beyond your ability to comprehend? And, how can this be construed as scaremongering? There is nothing scary about it, at least to any reasonable person. The lady at immigration didn't yell at me, threaten me, or tell me to come back tomorrow or next week. She politely told me what needed to be done to continue processing my paperwork. I took the 3 to 4 minute walk to Central Plaza, made my small transaction, got my book updated and walked back. Didn't even have to wait in line, just went in and gave the lady my passbook. She even made the new copies for me.

As I stated in my previous post, last year the bank letter and passbook update were both done 5 days prior to my visit to immigration, and it was not an issue. This year they were both done 2 days prior to my visit, but this was not acceptable to immigration this time.

It is through this forum that I have learned a lot about Thailand, its culture and customs, and things that affect expats. I have learned to expect the unexpected, and not to get too worked up when things don't go the way I anticipated, especially when dealing with government offices. I try to add what little I can to this process. You have made significant contributions to this forum, and I respect you for that, but I do resent being called a liar.

An excellent post. As the OP it's exactly how I feel and tried to express, but you have said it much better. I'm very grateful.

I'm now totally bewildered on the discrepancy between what's reported here and what I just found out for my Asian American friend by visiting the CM Immigration. Though the case with my friend has been resolved, I thought I would share the info here.

I carried copies of my friend's passport and all the extension stamps and inquired the staff in charge if a bank letter or passbook were required if they move to CM and extend his visa here based on marriage. She flipped through the pages and said NO. I then asked why so many people in CM said on the internet that they were required. She told me that he/she or they have resident address (mee ti you) and more right (mee siit mak kwa). My friend has been here for 20 years or so. I had wanted to ask more questions but my wife pulled me away for the place was jammed!

My question in my last post (#33) seems to have received no response. Perhaps I should rephrase my question as below:

Has anyone applied at the CM Immigration for an extension of visa based on marriage and not required to show the bank letter and the passbook?

It seems awe to me that while the Immigration in Bangkok requires no bank letter or passbook, but here in CM, it's required with stringency - according to some posters.

Hi , as nobody is interested to help I will . Yes you do need the bank letter and copies of every page of the bankbook , no need to show itself .

I've had consecutive extensions at CM -imm for the 7th time a few months ago . Hope this helps and good luck to your friend .

To add some to this thread , from my experience it is definitely 2 months and not 3 months prior to extension bas on marriage .

For the update on the same day , I do not doubt the Op , but from my own experience the day before is fine and not really important , but I will keep it in mind just in case .

For some to have doubts is because the statement he stands for 3 months(in-correct) instead of 2 months (correct) , so there could be a slightly chance of doubt , because of that ,the statement of daily update can be miss-interpret as well , to be sure other reports can confirm this later , if it is indeed enforced strictly I'm sure we will hear more about it .

For others to criticise some mods is not correct , they try in my opinion correctly , to make sure miss-information is avoided until proven otherwise .

There can be many incorrect information ,and the best they can do to avoid that is to correct it , so scaremongering and panic by some is clearly not necessary .

yes

What sort of transaction would that be ? without losing any interest and if placing on deposit at what rate ?

withdrawals from fixed accounts are routinely possible, some interest is lost on the amount withdrawn

details vary from bank to bank so talk with your bank to get details, nobody else can answer your questions because the rates on fixed accounts change often and are different for different terms of deposit and different banks

yes

withdrawals from fixed accounts are routinely possible, some interest is lost on the amount withdrawn

details vary from bank to bank so talk with your bank to get details, nobody else can answer your questions because the rates on fixed accounts change often and are different for different terms of deposit and different banks

a. If you make a withdrawal on a fixed account then you would below the 400,000 baht ( obviously if you had exactly 400,000 in there) so that would be one transaction that wouldn't be suitable.

b. so you can't add to a fixed account because that is a fixed contract that was taken at the beginning of the term.

So basicly a transaction on a fixed account would be of no use unless you have more 400,000 baht in the account !

Edited by alfieconn
  • Like 1

Hi , as nobody is interested to help I will . Yes you do need the bank letter and copies of every page of the bankbook , no need to show itself .

I've had consecutive extensions at CM -imm for the 7th time a few months ago . Hope this helps and good luck to your friend .

Thank you very much for responding to my post!

But my post #42 about the disrepancy has received no comments or questions. This really surprises me! No matter though, cos I know for certainty that my Asian American friend would not need a bank letter or copies of the bank passbook when the time comes for him to renew his extension for a marriage visa in CM just like he has been doing for the past 7-8 years in Bangkok....It's really intriguing why nobody has questioned on such a big discrepancy. But I'll put it aside anyway for I have done what I could for my friend.

Edited by muchogra

• 2 weeks later...

I wet today for my visa extension at early morning, all the papers in order same as last year, letter from bank and bankbook updated yesterday,

the lady at Imm said everything okay but we need you to:

- go to the bank

- deposit (don't withdraw) any amount, ie 100 baht

- update book

- make 2 copies

and come back

thats what i did and everything went smoothly.

apparently it's a new directive from bangkok, i guess it will apply to any visa extension that requires bank book

I wet today for my visa extension at early morning, all the papers in order same as last year, letter from bank and bankbook updated yesterday,

- go to the bank

- update book

- make 2 copies

and come back

apparently it's a new directive from bangkok, i guess it will apply to any visa extension that requires bank book

Like i said before, slight problem for us who have money on a fixed account, as you can't add money to that account sad.png

- go to the bank

- update book

- make 2 copies

and come back

So everyone that goes with a bank book has to the leg it to the nearest updating machine afterwards.

Access into Airport Plaza isn't until 11 am........ridiculous!

What's the point of making an early appointment?........double bloody ridiculous!

- go to the bank

- update book

- make 2 copies

and come back

So everyone that goes with a bank book has to the leg it to the nearest updating machine afterwards.

What's the point of making an early appointment?........double bloody ridiculous!

exactly.. the first option is to go to the nearest atm/update machine before the appointment.

alternatively, I would go the night before, just after midnight, make a transfer from another account to mine, and update the book. the problem is there arent many update machines around that are accessible after midnight.

in my case, I had read the earlier posts on this subject, and came with the motorbike so I was able to go the the bank (next to Tesco) and be back in about 15 minutes. my wife was still at the desk with the Imm officer. and the bank clerk made 2 copies for me of the updated book which saved me queuing at the xerox at immigration.

the reason for this new rule is that many people have emptied their accounts just after getting the letter for the bank (for what reason i dont know, maybe they had borrowed the money) so they want to avoid this.. but it doesnt really solve the problem as people might still empy it just after having submitted the papers. other measures would have probably been more effective.

anyways theres not much use in complaining as it would be as hitting a wall. so just comply and thats it..

its actually not so hard to organise and probably less inconvenient than other solutions which i prefer to keep for myself.

as they say, dont crap on your doorstep

- go to the bank

- update book

- make 2 copies

and come back

exactly.. the first option is to go to the nearest atm/update machine before the appointment.

alternatively, I would go the night before, just after midnight, make a transfer from another account to mine, and update the book. the problem is there arent many update machines around that are accessible after midnight.

in my case, I had read the earlier posts on this subject, and came with the motorbike so I was able to go the the bank (next to Tesco) and be back in about 15 minutes. my wife was still at the desk with the Imm officer. and the bank clerk made 2 copies for me of the updated book which saved me queuing at the xerox at immigration.

the reason for this new rule is that many people have emptied their accounts just after getting the letter for the bank (for what reason i dont know, maybe they had borrowed the money) so they want to avoid this.. but it doesnt really solve the problem as people might still empy it just after having submitted the papers. other measures would have probably been more effective.

anyways theres not much use in complaining as it would be as hitting a wall. so just comply and thats it..

its actually not so hard to organise and probably less inconvenient than other solutions which i prefer to keep for myself.

IMO only.....do it the day before, but it's Up2U.

- go to the bank

- update book

- make 2 copies

and come back

IMO only.....do it the day before, but it's Up2U.

totally agree with you as you say 'its ridiculous'

but they wanted it done.

it would be interesting to have feedback from more people to see if they want this from everyone.

totally agree with you as you say 'its ridiculous'

but they wanted it done.

it would be interesting to have feedback from more people to see if they want this from everyone.

Your asking for lots of scare tactic posts......I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

I recently did my extension based on marriage & got my bank letter on a Friday since my appointment was on Monday first appointment in the AM.

No problems at interview.

I will say this though, there is no way to update a bank book without a transaction. Go put your book in a machine & it will

come right back out with nothing added as nothing has changed. So no updates

If you do a transaction, even a deposit, your letter will no longer match your bank book & they frown just as much

on an overage as an underage ( weird but true )

I know this because a year ago I had the tough lady who is no longer at Chiangmai Imm

& same scenario ( interview on a Monday morning 1st thing 9am ) but I thought like others here maybe I should

update on Sunday at Airport mall since my letter was from Friday. At the bank I was told I could not get a stamped update

in a bank book without a transaction as there was nothing to update.

So I made a 500 baht deposit. Big Mistake & I got an earful from the officer on Monday.

although I still got my extension I was told to not make any transactions after the letter even if a deposit.

So my suggestion is do not worry about it & get a letter and update as close to your interview as possible &

that should suffice as it did for me this year.

My bank ( Ayudhya ) needs a day notice to make the paper because it comes from Bangkok.

That meant I need to apply on a Thursday for my Monday interview having got my letter on Friday.

As I said it was acceptable at my interview a month ago

Edited by meechai
  • Like 2