Anti-Govt Protesters Flying 'Al Qaeda' Banner

Lite Beer

Anti-Govt Protesters Flying 'Al Qaeda' Banner

A banner proclaiming allegiance to international terror network Al Qaeda has appeared in the anti-government protests encampment at Uruphong Intersection.

The banner reads: "Underground Al Qaeda is here!". It is hanging on the western side of the protest site, between two banners saying "Flowers for those who are brave and love justice" and "Bangkok people with more than 100[%] in their hearts are here!".

The context of the banner is unclear, as there is no immediate information how the protesters, who are demanding for resignation of Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, might be related to the terrorist organisation.

However, in July anti-government social network sites had widely shared a video which claimed to show Al Qaeda operatives threatening to assassinate former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, the brother of Ms. Yingluck.

Security officials quickly dismissed the video as a forgery, but many anti-government netizens nevertheless cheered the alleged Al Qaeda agents for standing up against Mr. Thaksin, whom they perceived to be a corrupt dictator.

Source: http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNNE1qUTBOamd5TUE9PQ==&sectionid=TURFd01BPT0=

--KHAOSOD English 2013-10-22

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO it is inconceivable that they know what Al Qaeda is. Thais generally have no idea what is happening else where in the world. Life starts and begins here in Thailand for most and you have to blame the Government for an overt strategy of keeping the masses uneducated in order to be able to manipulate them for the benefit of the elite and wealthy.

Oh no, you are getting mixed up, these are supposed to be the educated ones, it's the OTHER group that are the uneducated masses.

This is getting way too confusing. No wonder farangs drink so much!

You are right of course. I had a senior moment. God help us all if the other group triumphs.

So where is all the anti government farang crowd in this thread!

Coming soon dear boy. Don't worry you won't be disappointed.

It's interesting that all the government / red shirt supporters can do is comment about who is not commenting, rather than actually commenting on the topic.

You're given ammunition like this and all you can do is comment about posters not posting?

• Like 1

"but many anti-government netizens nevertheless cheered the alleged Al Qaeda agents"

I would imagine then they would be classified as potential terrorists with possible observation by the huge US spy network.

The Thai way of saying "Pay attention to who you are dealing with"

Maybe a better way to go.....

do you know who my father/grandfather/cousin is?

do you know who I am married/living with?

did you note the make and model car I am driving?

do you know that I have many good luck pieces?

do you know who is paying for this?

Some people will claim connection/membership/ex menbership to to armed forces, movie stars, religous organizations, music license enforcement, police force, government, hiso families and even bars to get the recongization they crave.

Whatever the claim, it is not a normal news worthly event to even be acknowledged. If I were serious about being feared/left alone, I would claim to have the most lethal communiable desease known to mankind.

• Like 2

Maybe they don't really know who Al Qaeda are or mixing them up with Al Jazera..

It's a stretch, but just may be whoever is using the al Qaeda flag as a symbol know of the Al Qaeda claims they fight against dictatorships in the M.E., which they do. Of course they would be overlooking Al Qaeda's end goal aims for their own extremist dictatorship.