Thai court acquits Santika nightclub owner after deadly inferno

Lite Beer

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why don't some of you blame on the authorities (the police, the fire department, the housing authority, etc) for not enforcing the law? Can't you see what the underlying problems are?

Let me spell it out for you: Thailand needs to enforce the law and people should be made known to abide by the rules of law!

Totally agree. This place needs a complete shake up, from the top down, a completely new police force, a completely new judicuary and observance of the rule of law. I reckon it should take about three generations...!

• Like 1

My daughter was 20 minutes away from being in this place. Mr Wisut, you are walking today because of the family trait of always being late for everything.

The court has used a ridiculous technicality to acquit. That's all it is. So why can't other technicalities be brought to the fore to put his miserable body behind bars for good? All of the details are there - unlicensed, safety issues etc.These seemed to have been just cast aside as unnecessary complications - clutter, that's all, getting in the way. Just ignore them. Jesus wept.

• Like 1

I wasn't in the Appeals Court when they made this decision, but the job of these judges is to consider the evidence put before them. They obviously considered that the conviction in the lower court was erroneous and therefore was quashed. Why do we have to assume that there was bias or any sort of corruption involved in their decision? They had the full facts; we don't. We only have newspaper reports.

I wasn't in the Appeals Court when they made this decision, but the job of these judges is to consider the evidence put before them. They obviously considered that the conviction in the lower court was erroneous and therefore was quashed. Why do we have to assume that there was bias or any sort of corruption involved in their decision? They had the full facts; we don't. We only have newspaper reports.

Why do we have to assume that there was bias or any sort of corruption involved

Because this is Thailand, nuff said

• Like 2

I think your user name sums it up, just got here by chance?

• Like 1

Why don't some of you blame on the authorities (the police, the fire department, the housing authority, etc) for not enforcing the law? Can't you see what the underlying problems are?

Let me spell it out for you: Thailand needs to enforce the law and people should be made known to abide by the rules of law!

Totally agree. This place needs a complete shake up, from the top down, a completely new police force, a completely new judicuary and observance of the rule of law. I reckon it should take about three generations...!

Agreed. Like any developing country it will take many years before it reaches the standards of the so-called civilised world.

What a joke. These people really have no shame.

Which people? Nightclub owners, judges, pyrotechnic engineers??

The court found that the charges in his indictment for directly causing death through carelessness were unclear and lacked evidence.

In other news, somchai told the teacher he forgot his homework because the dog ate it.

80 people died ladies and gentlemen. 80. In a club owned by this Muppet, with no licence. The guy has trousered millions over the years and he walk s away in this manner.

Puke!

The verdict is DISGUSTING... no other word to describe it.

And yet, it's hardly the first and surely won't be the last of similar ilk.... No justice, Thai style.

But... from all accounts, this guy wasn't the real owner of the club, or if he was, it was in name only. The real owner or owners never were prosecuted... And others above have alluded to who the supposed real owners were and why they were never touched... Not to mention, why the club was allowed to continue to operate for a long time, prior to its demise, despite being in violation of pretty much everything.

• Like 1

A country that has no jury system where ordinary people decide the guilt or innocence rather than judges who can be "leaned on" is doomed.In most civilized countries there would be a public outcry but as usual Thais just shrug their shoulders,smile and say "thats the way it is "

• Like 2

Then, to follow this logically, we can assume that the conviction of the man from Dubai was biased and corrupt.

Then, to follow this logically, we can assume that the conviction of the man from Dubai was biased and corrupt.

Maybe, but you have to remember he was convicted during the administration of his brother-in-law. Just another off shoot of TRT, PTP , and a couple of others

It makes you wonder, there's no lynching in Thailand, or any vendetta? I mean, if the courts, repeatedly, cannot enforce justice, then....

or money "talked" again?

Edited by elzach

I think your user name sums it up, just got here by chance?

No, I've been here a few years now, settled etc. I know there is a lot of corruption in this country; seen it with my own eyes. I'm just not going to assume that every decision that a court makes is biased or corrupt. We can't live like that else we become untrusting and despondent.