luudee

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

just related this story to my thai wife to see what she thought

she immediately said she was trying to steal the money then went in to say that they tried it on with her around 11-30 pm about 4 months ago

a coffee and a cake sale

around 260 baht she said, she gave 1000

the girl gave her change for 500 baht

wifey protested to the girl who said you give me 500, wifey says i gave 1000

before she could open her mouth again to talk wifey says stop talking!

wifey says get the manager and check the camera over the till, which she pointed at

the girl opened the till gave her 500 baht and walked away without a word as my wife shouted kamoy after her

happens to Thais too it seems

maybe McD is the new Shell......

Seems they will argue the toss with Thai more than foreigner

Where have you been?

This is a daily occurrence in my experience...

Just one example...

At the gas pump...they have two methods of separating you from your cash...

Short changing and not clearing the pump...before pumping you gas...so that you have to pay more...and they pocket the extra...

There is not a stone unturned in the Thai culture...when it comes to cheating farangs out of their baht..

• Like 2

Here we go again with the good ol excuse "it happens everywhere". So that makes it ok in that case!!!! Is this a world forum or thai forum??

It's not an excuse, it's a fact - it does happen everywhere. Keeping cashiers honest is a worldwide problem.

Does anyone here give a FF what happens in Mexico or Mars? We are talking about Thailand, the place we live and the place it would most likely happen to you or me or them.

So what are you trying to say, other than stating the obvious cause I think we are sick of hearing " well it happens everywhere in the world"

happened once to me in paragon homeware dept. gave the woman 1000 baht and she looked at me and hesitatingly gave me change from 500, as though she was assessing if I would notice. I thought about it a bit and then complained. She then wanted to change the recipt for some reason which I refused. Anyway i wasn't going to budge so I asked for the manager who set up a till count and it proved I was right and he apologised. the same woman wasn't there the next time I went. Probably sacked.

Not sacked, transferred.

Not sacked, transferred to an inactive post...

Here we go again with the good ol excuse "it happens everywhere". So that makes it ok in that case!!!! Is this a world forum or thai forum??

It's not an excuse, it's a fact - it does happen everywhere. Keeping cashiers honest is a worldwide problem.

Does anyone here give a FF what happens in Mexico or Mars? We are talking about Thailand, the place we live and the place it would most likely happen to you or me or them.

So what are you trying to say, other than stating the obvious cause I think we are sick of hearing " well it happens everywhere in the world"

you are correct straight8

i barely give a shit what happens to anyone else or anywhere else

i do get pissed off though when it happens to me, that's what counts

sometimes it is exactly what it appears to be

i for one, am sick of Thai apologists who proffer another explanation

It's a Thailand McDonald's thing. Been going on for decades. Must be part of the training. (If one is feasting on animal flesh, I say they deserve to get ripped off. smile.png )

Oh, give me a break with your animal flesh!!!

anyone got any idea which animals flesh we are supposed to be feasting on?

Don't pay small bills with big notes. Pay with big notes only in trustful places. Don't pay with credit cards (skimming very common). Don't use ATM's (skimming very common). ALWAYS check immediately the change given to you. This is my experience after about 35 years of travel in Thailand.

Same applies also in India, even worse.

They see the top guys doing it, fully accepted, they are learning for later.

It is part of the culture to take from the rich falungs, from Maccas, gas stations etc to big deals like police work tips.

Same on K Samet at the late nite bar, 500 short, went back and he had done a runner, they were not impressed, on the way home was looking over my shoulder for them.

It's a Thailand McDonald's thing. Been going on for decades. Must be part of the training. (If one is feasting on animal flesh, I say they deserve to get ripped off. smile.png )

Oh, give me a break with your animal flesh!!!

anyone got any idea which animals flesh we are supposed to be feasting on?

I downloaded famous quotes, one from Cleese was

" IF GOD DID NOT WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS HE WOULD NOT HAVE MADE THEM OUT OF MEAT"

• Like 1

I downloaded famous quotes, one from Cleese was

" IF GOD DID NOT WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS HE WOULD NOT HAVE MADE THEM OUT OF MEAT"

If Cleese said that then he probably pinched it from Flanders and Swann. Though they may well have pinched it from someone else.

Either way I thought their variant was much funnier.

http://www.nyanko.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/fas/hat_canib.html

It's a Thailand McDonald's thing. ........ (If one is feasting on animal flesh, I say they deserve to get ripped off. )

Is it actually possible to feast at McDonald's? Seems very unlikely to me by any definition of the word that I know.

Please calm down a bit.... I don't "give a FF" if you're sick of hearing it or not because I'll keep saying it as long as people like you are making this out to be a specific problem with Thailand.

Is it actually possible to feast at McDonald's? Seems very unlikely to me by any definition of the word that I know.

in Eastern Europe McD is considered a delicacy. On special occasions and when u feel like going all out, you order 3 cheese burgers,and maybe large fries, and mayo on side, not ketchup because everybody knows ketchup is commoners choice. Girl at counter treats you really nice, cos she knows u must be Hi So, for ordering such splendid and expensive feast.

I've had the opposite occur many times in Thailand. At times I'm easily distracted and have walked away before my change was handed back, and then the worker will chase or call me back to give me my change. I've been short changed in many countries but not when I'm paying attention. I've also have noted to people they haven't charged me properly and I owe them more money or they've given me more money than they should have. I kinda think the karma aspect enters into it, just be honest and that'll be returned.

No question about it, there are many many very honest Thai people out there. Every

culture has crocks, and it was not my intention to say all Thais are bad.

I too have had many positive experiences here.

luudee

best not say all thais are bad ludee

this thread is busy enough already without any more thai apologists wading in with their often repeated stereotypical contributions

why can't some people accept that sometimes it is exactly what it is and its ok to call a spade a spade...

I have never said all Thais are bad, I just pointed out what happened at

McDonnalds. I did not expect that to happen there. And I am not being

apologetic at all. Just stating the facts.

luudee

Guys, Please, this is really getting out of hand.

All I wanted to do, was to give a heads up to those who have not encountered this "trick".

Every country/culture has it's share of not so nice people.

luudee

in Eastern Europe McD is considered a delicacy. On special occasions and when u feel like going all out, you order 3 cheese burgers,and maybe large fries, and mayo on side, ......

Ah. Thanks. I knew there must be a good reason why I've never been to Eastern Europe.

• Like 1

Please calm down a bit.... I don't "give a FF" if you're sick of hearing it or not because I'll keep saying it as long as people like you are making this out to be a specific problem with Thailand.

Great comeback!!!!

Jeez so what's new this is thailand a religious Buddhist nation!

I don't quite get your point, are you saying that Thai's , Buddhists or a religious Nation are allowed to steal?

I had a good experience at the On-Nuch BTS station. I had just used the ATM and thought I had slipped about B 4000 into my waistband pant pocket, but it went inside my pants instead, and fell out the pantleg as I was walking. I went down the steps to get a taxi, and then realized my mistake. I went back up the steps, not really expecting to find it, but while looking around the BTS station a young woman (about 20) came up to me and handed me the B 4000. As she turned to walk away, I tried to hand her B 1000 as a reward, but she waved me off, and walked on. I don't know of another city where that would have happened! I've lived in BKK for several months a year for the last 8 years, and other than being overcharged a few times by taxi drivers, I have never had a problem.

• Like 1

Compared to Western standards, the Thai are stunningly honest. Sorry, bitter people.

PATHETIC, and if you dont agree with that stupid reply from "CapeCobra", you are bitter ?

How about equally dishonest then? smile.png

Employees that handle cash will always "play games" if they are not adequately supervised. This is a management problem. Businesses cannot rely on the honesty of staff that handle cash.

Tony took it to a whole new level recently. He's posted a huge billboard right behind where the staff sit in his main gym which reads (in big bold red letters) - "NOT ALL STAFF ARE HONEST".

This got me to thinking how the large department stores in the Philippines handle this problem. Whenever you pass over a 500 or 1000 bill the staff member always says out loud so everyone can hear... "I receive 500 or I receive 1000".

Edited by tropo

Over the last 15 years or so, I have been to not 100's, but 1000's of bars.

Never never never have I been short-changed.

Very very rarely have I been short-changed in restaurants ( except McDonalds).

People seem to be targeted in specific places, i.e. queues in fast food outlets and convenience stores.

Definitely she was trying it on.

I find that calling out the bill prevents this scam very effectively.

In other words, with 500 and 1000 baht notes, while handing it over SAY the value.

The only trouble with that for me is that it's become an automatic habit and the other day I did that while giving a 1000 baht note to a European merchant that I know. He looked at me funny, like I was accusing him of being a scammer. Oh well!

I have long learned to call out the bill, Bang Pun, Bang Ha Loi, etc etc etc - it has become a habit and normally followed up with a respectful "Kha!!" from the girl behind the counter,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I tip taxi's - when I see the meter is say 127 baht, give them two hundred and ask for an even 60 baht change - he keeps 13 baht and I aleays get a Thank You from them, keeps all those pesky one baht coins out of my pockets........ {:>) guess I am lucky, I have only been scammed once in over thirty years (that I know about) and that was for 8,000 Baht (when B was 60 for a dollar) price increase on a Television I bought, I misread the bill and gave a lot more than the ticket and the clerk kept the difference.........Oh well, I know triple check the tag * the bill now.thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif