Rooney Latest.

redrus

ROONEY OUT FOR SIX WEEKS

Story by Ed

30 April 2006

He may miss his World Cup

Statement on official website:

"Wayne Rooney has a fracture of the base of the fourth metatarsal on his right foot.

"He will be out for six weeks."

Rooney news. Red Issue.

Rooney Out For Six Weeks

United issued a statement regarding Wayne Rooney's injury on Saturday evening.

The brief statement read as follows: "Wayne Rooney has a fracture of the base of the fourth metatarsal on his right foot.

"He will be out for six weeks."

Rooney was stretchered off the field in the 82nd minute of United's 3-0 defeat by Chelsea at Stamford Bridge. He will now miss the club's last two matches against Middlesbrough on Monday night and against Charlton next Sunday.

England's opening World Cup match is on 10 June against Paraguay.

Report by Adam Bostock.

Rooney news, United website.

redeyedrus

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

WE'VE BEEN LOOKING IN A MEDICAL DICTIONARY

Story by Red Issue.

30 April 2006

What is a metatarsal? What is the treatment? Recovery?

The five metatarsals in the foot act as a unit to help with sharing the load of the body and move position to cope with uneven ground.

Injuries usually occur as a result of a direct blow onto the foot, a twisting injury or over-use.

These bones can be fractured through impact (eg: someone stamping on your foot), through twisting and over-use (stress fractures).

The middle metatarsals are usually injured as a result of this over-use.

In other words, it is caused by an ongoing process - and not one single occurrence. This is common with athletes or ballet dancers.

The first, second and fifth metatarsals are the most commonly injured in sport.

Recovery/Treatment:

The cure is rest. If the cause is over-use then treatment can vary hugely. Training habits, equipment used and athletic technique should all be investigated.

With a bone fracture the bone can often have a pin or screw inserted to speed up the recovery.

It all depends on the damage and which metatarsal bone is involved.

It is impossible to put a time scale on recovery from a stress injury.

After initial rest, the training techniques or body mechanics may need minor tweaking or a major haul to avoid a repeat injury.

With an impact fracture, after the plaster and protective boot is not needed (usually after 4-6 weeks), it will be a case of exercise and increasing weight-bearing activities.

Full return to action can be anything from another four weeks and upwards - depending on the extent of initial damage.

redeyedrus

Soccer: Desperate Rooney to try oxygen chamber

05.05.06 1.40pm

England striker Wayne Rooney will undergo treatment in an oxygen chamber in his bid to recover from a foot injury in time for the soccer World Cup.

Manchester United manager Alex Ferguson said today the club would do all it could to help Rooney get fit for next month's tournament and played down the significance of the second foot bone fracture suffered by the 20-year-old.

"An oxygen chamber arrives here this afternoon," Ferguson said.

"He will get that treatment and hopefully that helps.

"There's no conclusive evidence that it does improve injuries, but there is no evidence against it. It won't do any harm and everything is worth a try at this stage."

Rooney injured himself in United's 3-0 defeat at Chelsea on Saturday and the striker is struggling to be fit in time for England's first match against Paraguay on June 10.

United plan to issue no further statements on Rooney's recovery but Ferguson struck a cautiously optimistic note when he said: "The break he has got in the fourth metatarsal is a small fracture.

"The one slightly above it is nothing to worry about at all. It does not affect the recovery. There is no damage there at all. It's just a slight feeling."

He added: "We will do our very best to get him there. It's in our interests as well as England's to do that.

"We all need to wait and see how he develops and improves when we do the next scans but we will give him every chance.

"We are giving the boy treatment. We want him on the plane if he can.

"The scan will tell you everything in a few weeks' time. If it's healed then we've got the progress we want. If it's not healed there's nothing you can do about it. You have to carry on with the treatment.

"We are really in the hands of how Wayne improves."

Wayne advised to call on Lord Jesus Christ.

From Red Issue.

Marvin Andrews (Rangers and Trinidad &Tobago defender)

"I don't know Wayne, I don't know him personally.

"I don't know how he thinks, don't know what type of person he is, I know he's not a believer that's the first thing I know.

"For him to have faith that God can heal him or make him recover will be impossible at this particular time because I don't think he's a Christian or believes in God they way I believe in God.

"So probably like night and day you understand we are two completely different types of people.

"I can't help him I'm a human being just like him you understand, but Lord Jesus Christ can help him.

"If you call on Lord Jesus Christ God is there, God can help him.

"You've got to respect that no person can do it, [but] anybody who calls on Lord Jesus Christ will be saved and healed.

"At the end of the day that's what choice he has, what he wants to do, I wish him all the best whatever decision he takes."

Jermain Defoe continues the religious theme:

"I haven't spoken to Wayne.

"But I'll say a prayer for him to heal quicker. Even though he's another striker I want him there because he's one of our best players.

"We're all there to win the World Cup and if I can be part of that then great. But I also put myself in his shoes and I'd be heartbroken if it was me.

"It's so sad for Wayne. He's my mate. We go away together, have a great laugh and he's a top lad.

"It's hard but that's football and it does open the door for someone else. If I get the opportunity I'll be more than ready."

England team doctor Leif Sward:

"In four weeks we will know exactly how this injury will heal.

"I told Sven there is a chance for Wayne to be a part of the World Cup. How big that is I cannot say, but there is absolutely a chance.

"Of course Sven will now make him part of the squad."

David Moyes:

Sir Alex realises that everybody thinks that England's hopes are on Wayne and he doesn't need that, it's too much for a boy so young, all be it he is a fantastic talent.

"The clubs are the people who pay their wages and need them to start the season.

"If Manchester United don't have Wayne Rooney at the start of next season and we don't have Tom Cahill [has knee ligament damage] at the start of next season that will be a big blow to our ambitions to do well.

"We have to look after our own interests and nothing would please me more than for both players to go and play in the World Cup, but from my point of view I have to be selfish and from Tim Cahill's point of view I have to make sure that he's right before he's going anywhere."

redrus

• 2 weeks later...

ROONEY

Sunday 14th May 2006

All the latest on the nation's soap opera.

Various press sources report that young Wayne was spotted riding a bike around Carrington on Friday.

The People:

Wayne Rooney believes he will be kicking a ball a week before England's World campaign starts on June 10.

The SP understands that the Manchester United striker is already ahead of schedule in his recovery from a broken metatarsal.

Rooney, who has discarded the crutches and plastic cast, has been having two sessions a day in a special oxygen chamber as well as 1 swimming 40 lengths I and cycling 30 miles a day in a bid to be ready for Germany - and the ) results have been extremely positive.

Keano:

"I don't know the extent of Wayne's injury, but I've had that same type of problem myself and I've even been in the oxygen tent as he has.

"It's not an easy problem to recover from and that's why I think everyone is very selfish regarding what will happen to England.

"Obviously Manchester United will be selfish about it, too, but they have every right to be because Wayne is their player and they want what is best for him.

"But just imagine if Wayne was to go over there, break down and then find himself struggling for United next season. That wouldn't be fair on him or his club.

"England have to look at the bigger picture and not be so selfish. They have to do what is best for him.

"If Wayne isn't fully fit then people should do what's right by getting over it and making other plans. He should be just left alone to complete his recovery.

"He just has to accept that's life and then get over it - like I am sure he will if he needs to.

"But the worst thing would be to put pressure on the lad to go because he's still only a young man.

"A lot of United fans talk about me missing the Champions League Final in 1999, but I did my ankle ligaments in the FA Cup Final so I wouldn't have been fit to play even if I hadn't been suspended.

"The thing is that the ups more than made up for the downs - and that's what Wayne Rooney has got to realise.

"He will be gutted if he doesn't get himself fit in time, but he's a young lad and there will be plenty more World Cups for him."

Beckham:

"We all want Wayne to be fit, for his sake as well, because for the best young player not to be at the World Cup would be a shame.

"But he can’t take risks. He’s a young player and has a huge future ahead of him, so he has to be careful. He’s got to make sure he’s fit, and that he’s not going to go and crack it again.

"Whatever Sir Alex says and does is what he thinks is best for United and what he thinks is best for the players," he said. "If he feels that Wayne’s not ready, I’m sure he’ll tell him."

England team doctor Leif Sward:

"I just talked to the doctors in Manchester and the report they gave me was very, very positive.

"I don't want to say so much because we have decided Manchester United's medical team, with Mike Stone in charge, will work with Rooney's recovery.

"I can say they have done a tremendous job with Wayne. And I can say I am very glad for this latest report. Wayne's progress is very positive."

United spokesperson:

"With all these things, one day things can look good, and the next it doesn't develop as well as you would hope, so we are sticking to the original prognosis.

"We will do our best to get Wayne to the World Cup, but we are not going to lead people to believe it is better than it is."

Eriksson:

''It's very important to know that Rooney is paid by Manchester United and they must look after their interest for the player and for the future.

''But on the other hand, if he is fit then I think no-one can tell him not to play in the World Cup. He is desperate to be there.

''Our doctors are in regular contact with the medical staff at United. I don't think we will have a situation where our medical staff staff say he's fit and United's say he is not."

redrus

Edited by redrus

I hope so, mind you the lad is taking an awful chance if he's not right.

Being a Man City fan, as long as he lasts for the world cup i don't care if he's not fit for the start of the season :o:D Only joking you Reds :D

Oi, watch it mrjoemangles........... :D:D

redrus

Being a Man City fan, as long as he lasts for the world cup i don't care if he's not fit for the start of the season :o:D Only joking you Reds :D

:D

Slightly off topic. Eamon Holmes (sp) on Sky this morning, talking about Watford going up. He thinks he is a big Red. He said i hope they stay up so that it's an easy 6 points for united, just like City :D If he was that big of a Red he would know you only got 1 point from us this season (at your place) and last season :D

:D

Slightly off topic. Eamon Holmes (sp) on Sky this morning, talking about Watford going up. He thinks he is a big Red. He said i hope they stay up so that it's an easy 6 points for united, just like City :D If he was that big of a Red he would know you only got 1 point from us this season (at your place) and last season :D

LOL, he's a cock int he, Mick Hucknall's a red too....... :D:D

redrus

I hope he IS fit for the start of next season. That's all we need ; MORE bloody excuses. tongue.gif

You'll have plenty of them after you don't reach the second stages.

I wish I'd taken that bet of 10,000 baht for England not to reach the semis.

Why do English fans think they have such a great team capable of winning?

There are much better teams than England - I could name at least 5.

I hope he IS fit for the start of next season. That's all we need ; MORE bloody excuses. tongue.gif

Scotland? :o

Well what should we do? All go moping (an English term meaning having your chin to the ground) around saying "we've no chance of winning this game" or "we're gonna get stuffed today". It's called positive thinking Neers.

And i'd like you to name the 5 teams who think are better. The team we've got at the minute could beat anyone on the day. But that's what makes football so great. Anything can happen, with luck. That's why the underdog's win so much :o

A jock thinking about placing a 10,000-baht bet... did I read that right? :o

Mate, if you could name 500 teams that would possibly be better than England, Jockland still wouldn't be in the running :D:D:D

Spain better than England? Come on, you can't be serious about that one!

France have an ageing side, Italy are not the force they once were, and neither are Holland, plus Holland always look much better on paper than they are when they play together as a team.

Argentina have a very good side, but not quite up there with England's. Germany have the huge advantage of being host nation but with the bitter rivalry between the sides I'd say that advantage would be out the window if England play them and so I'd pip England to win that one.

Only Brazil have a better all-round side than England, but even they have a weak defence which England could exploit.

It's Fergie vs Eriksson according to the press.

The Times:

Wayne Rooney is braced for 48 hours of critical and probably tense talks between Manchester United and the Football Association that could determine whether he plays any part in this summer’s World Cup finals.

The 20-year-old forward hoped that a scan yesterday morning would result in him being given the green light to join the England squad next week, but the results were inconclusive and will be debated by medical experts at Old Trafford and the FA today and tomorrow. There was no firm news as Sven-Göran Eriksson arrived in Reading to oversee a 2-1 defeat by Belarus in last night’s B international and the head coach admitted that he had not yet spoken to anyone from United. "It is important to wait until the doctor looks at the scan in the morning," he said.

The Swede now moves on to some delicate discussions with United, who are known to be concerned about the idea of Rooney going to Germany if less than fully fit. At the present rate of progress, he is believed to be two weeks away from resuming full training, but the FA must attempt to convince United that such a prognosis is good enough for him to travel.

The sensitivity of the situation was reflected in the remarkable lengths to which United went to keep yesterday’s developments under wraps.

Rooney, having left his home in Cheshire at 8.30am, was smuggled in through a service door at the BUPA hospital in Whalley Range, Manchester, at 11.40 and left under a similar veil of secrecy an hour later, again evading the assembled media thanks to an elaborate decoy that involved his Chrysler car being parked at the front while he was driven away in another vehicle.

The scan was overseen by Tony Gill, a little-known figure among United’s medical staff who has suddenly found himself thrust into the spotlight after the abrupt departure of his colleague, Mike Stone, this week. Stone parted company with United after a series of disagreements with Sir Alex Ferguson and Carlos Queiroz, the manager’s assistant.

The Mirror:

Rooney had a CT scan at Fazakerley Hospital in Liverpool early yesterday morning and, after a fitness session, travelled to a hospital in Manchester for an MRI scan.

He was pleased with the outcome, although Ferguson and his medical team will discuss the results in detail before deciding whether to give Rooney their blessing to travel with his England colleagues.

Whatever Ferguson's views, from tomorrow England will be entitled to take control of the player's rehabilitation.

Progress as he recovers from the breaks in his right foot is said to be encouraging, leaving him ready to step up training in two weeks, around the time England play the first match of the finals against Paraguay.

CT scans create an image from different angles around the body. The information is processed by computer to show a cross-section of body tissue. The MRI scan creates a picture of almost all the tissue in the body.

The Sun:

Manchester United are ready to sue the FA if Wayne Rooney returns crocked from the World Cup.

Old Trafford bosses are set to give Roo the go-ahead to team up with England for the finals.

But they will try to take the FA to the cleaners if they think their star striker’s recovery is mishandled in Germany.

They fear Rooney could return home after the tournament with his metatarsal in bad shape.

And if that forces him to miss the start of next season, United would demand that the FA cover Rooney’s £55,000-a-week wages for however long he is sidelined.

An FA source confirmed: "The bosses at Soho Square are terrified Man U will take action by suing if Rooney returns injured."

redrus

Surely not?

The Times go to town on the latest Fergie has lost it story. This time, they claim, it's over Rooney's fitness

YES: He just wants to show who's boss

Tony Cascarino speaks from experience

Sir Alex Ferguson is the most successful manager in England. At upsetting people. Here is a quick roll of honour: Jaap Stam, Roy Keane, Paul Ince, Fabien Barthez, Ruud van Nistelrooy, Brian Kidd, David Beckham. Ferguson could be about to add Wayne Rooney to the list.

Everyone knows that you do not mess with Fergie. Except that it seems as though everyone does. We know that he is ruthless, dictatorial, domineering and ultra-powerful. Players have told me how intimidating and extreme he can be. But come on, how many confrontations does he want? It is a management style that threatens to have a negative impact on Rooney and therefore on England. If doctors are ready to tell Rooney that he can go to Germany, but Ferguson is insisting that he stays, there could be trouble.

Michael Stone, the doctor who has just left Manchester United, worked for the club for ten years, but that counts for nothing. In whatever disagreement that is alleged to have caused his departure, perhaps he was in the right and Ferguson was wrong. Probably, even — unless Ferguson has secretly amassed a vast amount of medical knowledge that we are not aware of.

Complications set in because Rooney is stuck in the middle. A player’s desperation to represent his country can and will override rational judgment. If his doctor tells him that he is fit but his manager tells him that he is not, it is obvious who he will want to believe.

Rooney is United’s key player. Ferguson knows how vital he is to the club’s success. He would be inwardly fuming if Rooney overrode his orders and went to Germany. He would be spitting nails. But he would have to take it because he cannot afford a rift with his star player. Just like he ignored some ranting and raving from Keane while he was the heart of United’s midfield; when his captain’s performances worsened, when he was expendable, Keane’s temper was no longer tolerated.

United versus England, doctors versus doctors; in the end, it may all come down to Ferguson versus Rooney. What a row that might be; what deep consequences it might have. Standing up to his boss could make the kid into a man.

NO: United manager is right to protect club's interests

Mick Hume wants his hero to be fully fit, not limping around (United point of view).

Some of us Manchester United season ticket-holders might not agree with Sir Alex Ferguson about much these days, but the Scots curmudgeon is right about Wayne Rooney.

He was right that paying twenty-odd million for a teenager was a bargain. He was right last week that “the boy” should not go to the World Cup “half-fit or even three-quarters fit”. And he is surely right to expect everyone at Old Trafford, from the directors to the club doctor, to put United’s interests first.

I am praying as hard as the next atheist that Rooney’s scan delivers good news today. I have a plane seat and a friend’s spare bed (although no match ticket) booked for England’s first game in Frankfurt, but I may not bother unless Rooney goes, too.

Rooney is a once-in-a-lifetime phenomenon and whoever replaces him will be no substitute. But when Ferguson reminds England that Rooney is also “the most important player at Manchester United” and admits that he is “selfish” about ensuring “the boy is going to be fit at the start of the season for us”, I admit that I am on his side.

Ferguson cited the case of David Beckham, who played in the 2002 World Cup soon after breaking a metatarsal. The image of England’s captain jumping out of a challenge in the quarter-finals, a surrender that led to Brazil’s equaliser, remains the abiding memory of Beckham’s limp contribution to that campaign. Better for England to be reconciled to Rooney’s loss beforehand than to have half of our hero hobbling around. His age at least means that there will be a next time, and a time after that.

But taking off the St George’s Cross sunglasses, Ferguson’s United-centric selfishness also strikes a visceral chord. When I was growing up in the 1970s, it was normal to put club before country. Opinion polls showed that, given the choice, most English football fans would want their club to win the championship (which did not, in those days, mean the second division) more than they wanted England to win the World Cup.

Some of us, however, still wear the colours of the old school. I recall the cries of “Stick your England up you’re a**e!” that rang around Old Trafford during the national witch-hunt against Beckham after his sending-off in the 1998 World Cup. We don’t want the best English player ever seen in a United shirt doing himself a mischief in an England shirt this summer.

So if there is any doubt, it should be a case of “for you, Wayne, the World Cup is over”. Gary Neville insists that everyone at United wants Rooney to play in Germany because “they’re a fair club”. No doubt. But United need Rooney fit if they want to be more than a fair-to-middling club next season.

redrus

Argentina, Brazil, France, Spain, Holland, Italy.

Gernany are not a better team but I'd put my money on them beating England.

I'll give you Brazil, others are second class compared to England.

Easy to say Brit when England is in such a relatively 'easy' group B....with Paraguay, Trinidad&Tobago and Sweden.

But I think you underestimate Argentina, France, Spain and Italy....not to speak of Holland :o

But.... I suppose we all have to wait and sit which countries are going to the quarter finals, don't we?

LaoPo