The price of used cars

Jessi

I have been told by the mechanic I use that the price of used cars in Thailand has dropped by 30% in the last six months.

Is there any truth to this?

Thanks in advance to the members on here that may know.

Cheers

• Like 2

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I have only been looking for a car the past few weeks ... So can't really comment on the 30% in the last six months. However I did find the price of a second hand car extremely expensive. I went to a Nissan dealer in Pattaya, I just wanted a small car, thought the Nissan March would be ideal. New price starts at 382,000 baht. This is for the basic model, and when they say basic .. Its basic, not even a radio !! The next model up had all the bits you expect on a car, price 444,000 baht. I spotted a second hand car and wandered over to have a look. It was in good condition, but had 72,000 kilometers on the clock. When I inquired I was told the car was 3 years old, the best bit, it was the basic model ... How much? 350,000 baht !!! 32,000 baht cheaper than a new one?

• Like 2

I've been watching the prices on the most popular used car site for about a year now. IMO they have become cheaper. eg, a five year old car seems to be about 15% less than a similarly aged vehicle would have been a year ago.

For those in the market, there appear to plenty of very good used vehicles at about the 300,000 mark.

I only look at lower end prices 100-300,000baht not Toyota on Taladrod yes some people now are asking less for their cars so good buys are out there and generally get sold in hours of course some jokers still ask 100% more than the vehicle is worth they stay for months and are repeatedly advertised a hopeless case, as in general prices are going down Re March 2010 219.000 2011 under 300,000.

• Like 1

Two things have happened lately:

1: The government tax rebate last year has seen a lot more people buying cars, and a lot of used cars on the market as a result.

2: The government has announced that the price of LPG will eventually be going from 12 baht a litre to 26 baht a litre, so a lot of people are going to start offloading their old LPG-powered cars because they can't afford to run them any more.

• Like 1

I think 30% is overdone, but have also heard that the price of used cars has gone down lately. I'm not looking to sell or buy right now, so this is second hand information.

Yeah now it costs less for a second hand car than a new car. But seriously it's not just cars is it. Go to the pawn shop and try to buy an old apple iPad 1 for example (I need one without camera for my work). They are asking ridiculous prices.

Den

We sold our 6 year old Honda Civic to a second hand car dealer for B420,000 (cost new 6 years ago B860,000). Amazingly good second hand car price, hardly ever had a problem with it apart from the rubber engine mounts which Honda replaced F.O.C. even though it was out of warranty.

• Like 1

1: The government tax rebate last year has seen a lot more people buying cars, and a lot of used cars on the market as a result.

2: The government has announced that the price of LPG will eventually be going from 12 baht a litre to 26 baht a litre, so a lot of people are going to start offloading their old LPG-powered cars because they can't afford to run them any more.

26 baht a litre. That's highway robbery at the gas pump!

Perhaps there is some truth to it but I think that 30% is over the top.

May just be a case of catch up with all the new cars sold last year under the Government rebate.

After all this is Amazing Thailand and anything could happen.

Thank you for the input members.

LPG going up to 26B a lire, where did you hear about this gem?

Just another rumor started by the Government.

Used car prices has gone down 30%. Maybe not the dealers asking price, but for sure the price the dealer will offer to pay, for your second hand car. For this you can send thanks to the PTP government, for their last years 100000 THB first car discount. Now there are 1 Million too many cars in the market.

• Like 1

Used car prices has gone down 30%. Maybe not the dealers asking price, but for sure the price the dealer will offer to pay, for your second hand car. For this you can send thanks to the PTP government, for their last years 100000 THB first car discount. Now there are 1 Million too many cars in the market.

It is called a first car discount. Then that means there are not more used cars on the market because of this discount.

LPG going up to 26B a lire, where did you hear about this gem?

Just another rumor started by the Government.

Well think ASEAN. The retail price of LPG in Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar and Vietnam is much more expensive at 35-40 Baht, than in Thailand where it is 19 Baht, so I very much doubt if Thailand will keep it at such a low price. I have seen loads more LPG cars come on the market at a very good price.......if of course anyone wants an LPG car.

• Like 1

It's about 13 Baht a litre near where I live.

We have been trying to sell our Civic for several months at well below market rates and have had no serious offers so 30% is a good estimate

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

My wife got a swift (still waiting for the rebate), and just kept our civic as a second car. Most of the time the civic is garaged. It's got nearly 220K kms now so deserves semi-retirement. Second had prices are very low now - 2004 2.0 models at tents can be had for 300K or so. A couple of years ago i could have got abut 450-500K for it.

I bought my first car a Toyota Vigo Ute from the auctioneers in Bangkok very good price. Go onto Google and punch in Apple Auctions Thailand.. They have auctions in all the main cities, they are mostly bank re-possessions. You can call them and ask for a list of upcoming auctions and what you need to get one in your name or buy it in your ladies name. I used my yellow Falange house book.

• Like 1

Bullshit. Part of the deal to get the rebate was that the owner can not sell the car for a few years (6 or 7?)

I am constantly monitoring 2nd hand car prices. They are getting cheaper.

Comparing completely empty nissan march (class a?) to vios/city (class B) in second hand must be a joke.

Nobody with mind would choose brand new empty march against a few years old but higher model vios/yaris/city/fiesta which costs much more expensive in brand new.

Bullshit. Part of the deal to get the rebate was that the owner can not sell the car for a few years (6 or 7?)

As I remember my daughter said it was 5 years.

I used to accompany my wife tutoring the children of a car company dealing in 2nd hand slightly, used cars. Those cars are still look great! With different brand like Toyota, Honda, BMW, etc. Lots of choices.

The owner offers us to sell. We do not add prices because they don't like. So it is them who give the price for your choice.

They might be one of the cheapest because I see customers everytime I am there.

If you are interested, just contact us

Also there are some of those cars coming on the market now as used because the origanal buyer could not keep up payments. expect to see a lot more in the next year.

But he can have it repossessed for lack of payment.

Result the same more used newer model cars.

• Like 1

Well I have only been looking for a car the past few weeks ... So can't really comment on the 30% in the last six months. However I did find the price of a second hand car extremely expensive. I went to a Nissan dealer in Pattaya, I just wanted a small car, thought the Nissan March would be ideal. New price starts at 382,000 baht. This is for the basic model, and when they say basic .. Its basic, not even a radio !! The next model up had all the bits you expect on a car, price 444,000 baht. I spotted a second hand car and wandered over to have a look. It was in good condition, but had 72,000 kilometers on the clock. When I inquired I was told the car was 3 years old, the best bit, it was the basic model ... How much? 350,000 baht !!! 32,000 baht cheaper than a new one?

Yup, thats about par for the course.

Go to a bank and see what they require to buy a new car. Depending on your situation anywhere from 50-75% down. So at that figure, if the total cost of the car is 600,000 baht then you will need from 300K to 450K just to buy the car plus you will need to pay every month for several years. You might consider if you used the down payment to buy a used car, it'll be paid for. Banks, I have been told, are not giving very decent loans on used cars if they give a loan or not. Used cars dealers are doing the same.

For many years I refused to buy a car because of the inflated prices, and we really do not have much use for one. Spotted a car on the street, checked it out, 15 years old, 1 owner, she has bought a new one. Well maintained, drives well all for 65,000 baht. Use it for shopping and longer trips, it has opened up new areas for us,still use tuk tuk to go out at night and to go into CM city centre where parking is at a premium. At the price, it is worth having it sitting in the drive.

• Like 1

And cooking gas is increasing monthly now at the same rate, apparently this wont effect inflation in Thailand facepalm.gif

You might want to look at some of the terms and conditions people are putting on their adverts. Payments of xxxxB to the finance cmpany , non-transferable name.

Yep they can't sell them leally but definitely are trying to.

Yep the new car scheme has got so many people into debt they couldn't afford and have flooded the market, also the cost of new eco cars has plummeted the price of old cars.

Whether 30% or not the prices are certainly a lot cheaper than they were on taladrod etc than they were a year or more ago.

• Like 1