New metered taxi service being discussed.

simon43

I had a chat today with the boss of Mook Andaman taxi company, which is composed of black taxis who want to provide service at the airport.

According to this chap, he recently met with Phuket government officials to propose a metered taxi service using 50 or so new vehicles. A local bank has agreed to provide finance terms to enable private drivers to purchase a new taxi vehicle.

The interesting part of our conversation was that the use of the meter was absolutely compulsory. If any driver failed to switch on his meter for a fare, then he would be kicked out of the taxi group. GPS would also be fitted in the vehicle (not sure if that means a GPS navigation system or GPS location system - I think the latter, because he also mentioned that they would have a call-centre to allow customers to order a taxi to pick up at any location).

Not sure what the actual meter rates would be - I'm just reporting what I discussed.

Simon

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More talk - more hope. History shows nothing positive will happen here under the current regime.

It's a nice story Simon43, but that's all it will ever be.

Meanwhile, the traditional western market continues to detour Phuket for their holidays.

These tourists want to see action, not words and stories, before they will return to Phuket.

• Like 1

well.. when they well use meter it is still more expensive then bkk and still they all drive LPG..

more problems... when the tourists are gone then the change will come..but to late..

I think this "high season" will be an indication that the tourism industry has become disfunctional here.

• Like 1

This taxi chaos cannot last forever, you would think ? Yes I know it's not likely in the near term. But let's hope some business person can see the dismal future facing ALL the taxis drivers if this does continue. Oh well - I can hope w00t.gif

I agree. Phuket will have to hit rock bottom before any real change will be implemented here.

The question is, will those past regular customers return here for their holiday, or, are the greener pastures they have found, actually greener?

• Like 1

bla_bla.gif

Yes. Nothing changes here.

Investigations, feasibility studies, meetings etc etc - still no afforable transport for tourists.

Meanwhile, in another tourist destination in Thailand, tourists are being transported around for 10 baht a journey.

Edited by NamKangMan
  • Like 1

It's good to remember that there has been quite a large changes already. I haven't been to the airport and can not confirm that the black taxis are not allowed to the airport anymore. Have anybody been there lately?

The meter taxi fares are rising or have already riced. Those are some ways to lure black taxis to become legal meter taxis.

Tuk-tuk mafia has been quite quiet recently?

The real changes will take a year, but I would say

mSPqe9F.gif

It's good to remember that there has been quite a large changes already. I haven't been to the airport and can not confirm that the black taxis are not allowed to the airport anymore. Have anybody been there lately?

The meter taxi fares are rising or have already riced. Those are some ways to lure black taxis to become legal meter taxis.

Tuk-tuk mafia has been quite quiet recently?

The real changes will take a year, but I would say

mSPqe9F.gif

"there has been quite a large changes already" - laugh.png

Really, I must have missed them.

Still same transport BS that I've seen. I'll be surprised if anyone has seen any different.

I have seen a lot of press releases and media hype, but no real changes "on the ground."

They can keep telling the PG. PW and BP how they have "fixed" the problems here, but until there are REAL changes, there will be a diminishing western market on Phuket.

Edited by NamKangMan

There is a never-ending supply of " fresh meat" arriving daily on Phuket. By fresh meat, I mean gullible, naive tourists who have no idea what they are getting into. The jet ski and taxi scumbags who make their living by extorting the fresh meat don't give a rat's ass if the victims don't return. They know that a fresh supply arrives every day, ready for fleecing. While this situation exists, the scumbags have no inclination to change their highly evolved business model.

• Like 1

Still same transport BS that I've seen. I'll be surprised if anyone has seen any different.

I have seen a lot of press releases and media hype, but no real changes "on the ground."

They can keep telling the PG. PW and BP how they have "fixed" the problems here, but until there are REAL changes, there will be a diminishing western market on Phuket.

There is a bus going from Airport to Patong. That was what people wanted. It's not going to Karon and Kata, but it does not change the original fact.

If these changes would be made in overnight, there would be chaos and protests on the streets and nothing would eventually change.

I think there has been some clever moves on this game. The results are not immediately visible, but I hope an believe that changes are on they way now. Your and my cry has been noticed all the way in Bangkok and process has been started.

Well, it's not our cries, it's more likely the fear that rotten smell can be detected by the people before they buy their next trips to the paradise.

There is a bus going from Airport to Patong. That was what people wanted. It's not going to Karon and Kata, but it does not change the original fact.

If these changes would be made in overnight, there would be chaos and protests on the streets and nothing would eventually change.

I think there has been some clever moves on this game. The results are not immediately visible, but I hope an believe that changes are on they way now. Your and my cry has been noticed all the way in Bangkok and process has been started.

Well, it's not our cries, it's more likely the fear that rotten smell can be detected by the people before they buy their next trips to the paradise.

"There is a bus going from Airport to Patong. That was what people wanted." - NO, they actually want buses up and down the coastline, particularly between Patong Beach, to near where they are staying, for a night out, and to check out other beaches and markets, by day.

"If these changes would be made in overnight, there would be chaos and protests on the streets" - really, so, we must wait for HOW LONG for what the rest of Thailand has by way of transport? We've been waiting, and paying, for years now.

"I think there has been some clever moves on this game" - NO, that is smoke an mirrors to make it look like there actually has been some positive change here, but, infact, as you well know, nothing has changed, and has possibly got worse.

Edited by NamKangMan
  • Like 1

"There is a bus going from Airport to Patong. That was what people wanted." - NO, they actually want buses up and down the coastline, particularly between Patong Beach, to near where they are staying, for a night out, and to check out other beaches and markets, by day.

"If these changes would be made in overnight, there would be chaos and protests on the streets" - really, so, we must wait for HOW LONG for what the rest of Thailand has by way of transport? We've been waiting, and paying, for years now.

"I think there has been some clever moves on this game" - NO, that is smoke an mirrors to make it look like there actually has been some positive change here, but, infact, as you well know, nothing has changed, and has possibly got worse.

Be pationed. As you are our gloom and doom high priest, think the progress as cancer.

We have now plenty of little, but powerful tumors which are slowly progressing. Instead of bad tumors, these are the good ones. These tumors are slowly spreading, before they get really aggressive. That's the point when we'll get the fast changes on this island of ours.

It's all about the changes of the attitudes of the people who live here. When people have been put to the bottom and they have a better leaders, they get more power or bravery to tell the bad leaders to <deleted> off. This is where we are heading now. Out of the dark ages.

Edited by Guest

Be pationed. As you are our gloom and doom high priest, think the progress as cancer.

We have now plenty of little, but powerful tumors which are slowly progressing. Instead of bad tumors, these are the good ones. These tumors are slowly spreading, before they get really aggressive. That's the point when we'll get the fast changes on this island of ours.

It's all about the changes of the attitudes of the people who live here. When people have been put to the bottom and they have a better leaders, they get more power or bravery to tell the bad leaders to <deleted> off. This is where we are heading now. Out of the dark ages.

Really, and how many assassinations will it take to just get what other places in Thailand have had for years. Get real.

As far as "gloom and doom high priest" - what do you call the thousands of western tourists who do not come here anymore, "gloom and doom priests" or "consumers" who have sort a better value for money holiday?

Be patient my a**.

They feed the tourists "crumbs" while those tourists with cash to spend, leave in droves.

The time for patience for Phuket is over oilinki. Tourists, and now expats, are leaving.

They need to fix it soon, or game over.

• Like 2

Really, and how many assassinations will it take to just get what other places in Thailand have had for years. Get real.

As far as "gloom and doom high priest" - what do you call the thousands of western tourists who do not come here anymore, "gloom and doom priests" or "consumers" who have sort a better value for money holiday?

Be patient my a**.

They feed the tourists "crumbs" while those tourists with cash to spend, leave in droves.

The time for patience for Phuket is over oilinki. Tourists, and now expats, are leaving.

They need to fix it soon, or game over.

Firstly wow! That's the first really emotional post I have seen from you without being strictly analytical of the problems here in Phuket.

I'm also saying that the patience time is over. Now it's time for change and it is really happening. It does not happen within days, weeks or even months, but there is progress going on, right now.

I actually like you and your will of protecting this island from all the bad which greed brings. Come some day up here to the north, where the ways to live and people are quite different compared to the life in the southern beaches.

The fares have already been raised, that is probably the only thing these idiots can agree about.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

One of my Korean customers was charged 500 baht last night to travel from the airport to my hotel ==> 1km! It's a common occurance because late-arriving passengers are tired and unfamiliar with the exchange rates. some taxi drivers just see $$$ signs and charge whatever they want.

Simon

Taxis are not expensive here if you compare the prices charged here to prices charged in western countries

Like most expats i only use a taxi once or twice a year when catching a flight from the airport and think the fare is cheap

Never use Tuk Tuks like most expats so who cares what they charge, Tourists do not think they are expensive i know that for a fact

In Bangkok taxis are allowed to pick up passengers anywhere they want to and have 2 way radios to tap in for fares so of

coarse they are cheaper

How many expats actually use tuk tuks, it would be interesting to know with the amount of whinging on this forum about them??

• Like 1

Taxis are not expensive here if you compare the prices charged here to prices charged in western countries

Like most expats i only use a taxi once or twice a year when catching a flight from the airport and think the fare is cheap

Never use Tuk Tuks like most expats so who cares what they charge, Tourists do not think they are expensive i know that for a fact

In Bangkok taxis are allowed to pick up passengers anywhere they want to and have 2 way radios to tap in for fares so of

coarse they are cheaper

How many expats actually use tuk tuks, it would be interesting to know with the amount of whinging on this forum about them??

There is absolutely no value in this often stated comparison..none what so ever..coffee1.gif

• Like 1

Round and round we go huh?

Another Phuket transportation woes thread................

Funny thing is, they did already introduce metered taxis, but as I mentioned in one of the billion or so taxi/tuk-tuk threads last time I stepped up to the "metered" taxi booth they showed me a card of fixed prices.

So here we go again, eh? Meters on for a couple months, make some lip service about it, then back to the fixed ripoffs.

coarse they are cheaper

How many expats drive/ride whilst intoxicated because there is no affordable public transport here????

• Like 1

coarse they are cheaper

How many expats drive/ride whilst intoxicated because there is no affordable public transport here????

They would do it anyway NKM, it's more of an enforcement issue than affordable transpo.

• Like 1

coarse they are cheaper

They would do it anyway NKM, it's more of an enforcement issue than affordable transpo.

Not so sure about that GOM.

Tourists, expats, bar girls and legitimate Thai staff, all use the baht buses up in Pattaya.

No parking issues or cost, no theft issues, no accident issues, no police check point issues, no intoxication issues.

I wonder how many lives, over the years, would have been saved if there were baht buses along the coast road?

• Like 2

coarse they are cheaper

There is absolutely no value in this often stated comparison..none what so ever..coffee1.gif

I disagree...there is a lot of value in this statement. You overlook the fact that Phuket is a tourist destination and the tourist do not find the taxi/tuk tuk fares extreme. The fact that cheap Charlie expats do find this so is irrelevant. Tourism is worth mega Baht to the island....long term expats - bugger all. And the tourists will still keep coming regardless.

• Like 2