Legal age for kids to drive a bike?

moonseeker

My Thai cousin is a 13 year old.

Many of his friends come to see him, many of the same age, all on their motor bikes.

No helmets no lights no nothing.

Too young to get insurance.

Where do they get their motor bikes.

Their parents.

It's the blind leading the blind.

At least once a month they go to visit 1 of their friends in hospital. Injured from motor bike accident. Some badly injured.

But still they pursue their lethal practice.

Remember, "This Is Thailand"

Had I been 13 in an environment of no police enforcement likely I would have done the same.

Fear of the police and my father helped me be more law-abiding.

• Like 2

This is from the department of land transport website (translation by google);

attachicon.gif.pagespeed.ce.eFBhf2OPKe.gdlt.JPG

Strange it doesn't mention bikes under 110cc. Both my son and daughter received their Thai ID cards at the age of 15. The day after they did their motorcycle tests (different years) and received their licences.

15yo.

Edit: It was my stipulation that they had a licence before they would be allowed to own their own bikes. In both cases they got 110cc models and have never had a problem with the law, or had accidents.

Edited by chrisinth

When my son reached his 15th birthday (14 years ago) I obtained his National ID card and a motorcycle driving license for him. The license was valid for up to 90cc only. He had to be 18 to drive something bigger. Hard to find anything under 90cc and he ended up with an unregistered 50cc "rot-pop". He was regularly stopped by police and showed them photocopies of both ID and DL. He never once paid any fine (official or unofficial) of any sort.

I restricted him to the city (Pattaya & Jomtien) only. He was banned (by me) from going on the highway and letting others ride it.

In 3 years he never fell off or injured himself.

Under 90 c.c. jing na...

If there was one specimen of a bike less than 90 c.c., following the law would mean some 5 million kids would be fighting to acquire that motorbike

My typing error...It should have read...'no more than 90cc'

But, who cares, as other have posted, the laws are seldom enforced!

Have a driving license; or properly registered and insured bike (car)? What's that?

Maybe for motos, the law should be ammended to reflect reality:

If a child is no longer in diapers...they can drive a moto... ;-)

I was told recently by an older Thai, that Thai's do not follow the law. It doesn't matter what we (farang), think, do or say. They will do whatever they want, when they want it, laws bedam--d. There is no one around to enforce said law, only the tea money mongers. They are slowly changing but I forsee no change in my lifetime.

The road death rate per year in Thailand is over 12,000. Nobody care.

Very high percentage of these deaths are so needless. Lack of education being the reason. But This is Thailand, so let it be. Their choice.

Info is out of date, earlier this year a senior Thai government official admitted it's about 26,000 road deaths per year

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Road-death-toll-in-Thailand-among-highest-in-the-w-30202066.html

Edited by simple1
  • Like 1

Come on, what's the point nobody here gives a toss. The laws mean nothing and no officials check any thing. Look around to see how many motor cycles and cars have no tax, the officials don't care.

Can confirm now directly from the mouth of the mother, who bought her 14 yr. old son a 110 Kawa KSR and let him drive right-away (no instruction, license) in the bloody dangerous streets of Pattaya: "I (We) don't care about law, we do same this for 1000 years." This from a woman, who is usually reasonable and in responsible management position. Obviously did not like being confronted by a Falang, with reason. The Falang that made her what she is today. O well, they can hide it well, but will always show their real face at some point.

• Like 1

Older than the legal age to have sex with an old man but younger than the age to drink a can of beer... somewhere in between.

I don't know the legal age to have sex with a drunk old man on a motorcycle though.

May I sincerely suggest to change your medication as soon as possible?-wai2.gif

WHY ?----- its a perfectly legitimate question-------- I would think that having sex in that position would need both partners to be fairly professional at that sort of thing.At least to get any real satisfaction out of it.Just mulling over what comes to mind cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif