WHY are there no TOILETS at any MRT stations?

chappie1207

I would like to know WHY there are NO TOILETS at any of the MRT stations!!

Today I was with my girlfriend who was DESPERATE to use a toilet, when she asked the guard where the toilet was the guard replied Mai Mee!! This was at the Queen Sirikit Station.

Now, the MRT stations are very big and a lot of money was invested, but I am confused WHY no toilets were installed for the public. I also have a 4 year old son and if he needs to use the toilet he will be forced to pee or worse S**T on the floor! Not good PR for them!

Surely LOGIC suggests when you build a major rail network that will carry millions of people...BUILD SOME F*****G TOILETS!!!!!

Edited by chappie1207
  • Like 2

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Actually I believe the policy is to remove toilets from subways etc worldwide because of the threat of terrorism. Similarly rubish bins have been removed from most and if they exist at all are now a small transparent bin.

• Like 1

Just look around the SEA region, how many metros have public toilets?

The only one I know of is KL Putra, and they are on the paid side.

Toilets are a cost centre and a potential terrorist target so why install them?

As to BTS and MRT, both have staff toilets, look sufficiently desperate (OK a suitable donation), and you will be allowed access.

Toilets are a terrorist target?

Ha, ha, ha, ha .... no wait ...

Based on the condition of public toilets in Thailand when I enter, maybe you're right!

And all along, I had thought people were just slobs.

• Like 2

As to BTS and MRT, both have staff toilets, look sufficiently desperate (OK a suitable donation), and you will be allowed access.

Taipei Metro has toilets in the stations Paid Area.

The old KCRC in Hong Kong had toilets in the stations Paid Area - but it was more of a suburban railway. The MTR did not - I think except for the Lantau and Airport Railway (which was more of a suburban railway). The argument was that for the Urban Lines, journeys were short and you could wait till you got wherever you were going. There aren't any toilets at bus stops, either

SC

Maybe logic suggests it..but dont confuse logic with thai logic.

Thai logic? There are hardly any toilets at central London tube stations either.

Not just in the centre, most London Underground stations don't have toilets; even the new ones. Neither do the Overground, DRL or Mainline stations (except the major termini).

Not just a Thai thing.

• Like 1

Based on the condition of public toilets in Thailand when I enter, maybe you're right!

Any space in which things can be hidden is indeed regarded as a terrorist target.

There are no public toilets on the London Underground system. The older stations just didn't have them in the first place (they're stations, not places that you are expected to spend any length of time) and the newer ones didn't include toilets in their design.

Main line terminal stations, like Waterloo for instance, do have toilets, but they now have attendants who are there partly to make sure that nothing is left in them (one reason that you now have to pay to use them).

Generally speaking, a station is designed to increase the flow of passengers, ie get them in and out as quickly as possible. I suppose if someone is 'caught short' whilst at a station, that would lead to the 'why isn't there a toilet right next to me, now, when I need one?' sort of question.

But equally valid would be to ask 'why should there be a toilet in a station?'.

It's a place where you get on and off trains, that's it. You're there for minutes, not hours.

• Like 1

Any space in which things can be hidden is indeed regarded as a terrorist target.

There are no public toilets on the London Underground system. The older stations just didn't have them in the first place (they're stations, not places that you are expected to spend any length of time) and the newer ones didn't include toilets in their design.

Main line terminal stations, like Waterloo for instance, do have toilets, but they now have attendants who are there partly to make sure that nothing is left in them (one reason that you now have to pay to use them).

Generally speaking, a station is designed to increase the flow of passengers, ie get them in and out as quickly as possible. I suppose if someone is 'caught short' whilst at a station, that would lead to the 'why isn't there a toilet right next to me, now, when I need one?' sort of question.

It's a place where you get on and off trains, that's it. You're there for minutes, not hours.

Any space, huh?

Millions and millions, in other words.

How sad, they have you right where they want you: terrified.

Seen in Singapore, all the mrt stations have free cleaned toilets outside the paid area. As there are numerous shopping malls, all of them have toilets on every floor. So if you needed to go, you had a choice.

w00t.gif

What about the terrorists?

How can this be?

Any space, huh?

Millions and millions, in other words.

How sad, they have you right where they want you: terrified.

Yes, any space. Which is why we redesigned our stations not to have spaces where things can be hidden. We're not terrified, we've lived with it for 40+ years. We check our stations hourly, we are always on the lookout for things, but no, we're not terrified, we're Londoners, we don't scare easily :)

• Like 1

Even cereal boxes at the supermarket? Even under the seat, of cars parked on the curb? Even in restaurant toilets, shops, hotels, pubs, hospital bathrooms?

Nonsense. There are a million places to secrete a device, yet it is rarely, thank God, ever done.

But not because of a lack of bathrooms. Not because of vigilance.

Rather, a lack of real terrorists.

More people die from fighting the "war against terrorism," than so-called terrorists.

HeijoshinCool, unlike myself I suspect that you have never come close to a terrorist attack.

I was minutes away from being blown up by the IRA in Guildford in 1974; the friend I was going to meet was already in the Horse and Groom when the bomb exploded.

I was travelling on the tube on the morning of 7th July 2005.

We in the UK have lived with the terrorist threat for far longer than most in the Western world; we know that not every bomb can be stopped.

As the IRA said after failing to kill Thatcher with the Brighton bomb in 1984: "Today we were unlucky, but remember we only have to be lucky once. You will have to be lucky always."

But we also appreciate sensible precautions to reduce the risk.

HeijoshinCool, unlike myself I suspect that you have never come close to a terrorist attack.

I was minutes away from being blown up by the IRA in Guildford in 1974; the friend I was going to meet was already in the Horse and Groom when the bomb exploded.

We in the UK have lived with the terrorist threat for far longer than most in the Western world; we know that not every bomb can be stopped.

As the IRA said after failing to kill Thatcher with the Brighton bomb in 1984: "Today we were unlucky, but remember we only have to be lucky once. You will have to be lucky always."

Maybe you can remind us then how many bomb attacks, or even attempts, there have been in Bangkok in the past.

Maybe you can remind us then how many bomb attacks, or even attempts, there have been in Bangkok in the past.

There was the Iranian blokes that blew themselves up, there was the New years bombs a few years back, there's been plenty, as I recall