Credit Cards - Its important to help Thais understand them

BAKABAS

When I moved to Thailand in 2002, I still had my UK credit-cards. But as the years went by, and my ties with the UK faded, my ability to get/renew my credit-cards also became more difficult. One by one, my cards could not be renewed, because I had no UK address or bank account etc.

It got to the point where I did not have access to credit, (and getting credit from Thai banks is not easy either). I was forced to live within my means, neither relying on credit-cards, nor using bank loans or hire-purchase.

My inability to get credit has definitely made me more responsible about expenses and bills. If I don't have the money to buy something, then I don't buy it. If I don't save the cash to pay a bill, I'll suffer the consequences.

If I were offered a credit-card tomorrow, I would decline it. I'm happy without plastic :)

Simon

I cut mine up in 1982. They really are the devil's temptation, and there should be a special place in hell for those bankers that give cards to those that can't afford them and then keep raising the limit without being asked.

If one must have one for travel, load it up before departure so they can't gouge one for interest and be aware that they charge interest on cash withdrawals from the second the money is advanced, unless one is in credit for the whole amount.

When I moved to Thailand in 2002, I still had my UK credit-cards. But as the years went by, and my ties with the UK faded, my ability to get/renew my credit-cards also became more difficult. One by one, my cards could not be renewed, because I had no UK address or bank account etc.

It got to the point where I did not have access to credit, (and getting credit from Thai banks is not easy either). I was forced to live within my means, neither relying on credit-cards, nor using bank loans or hire-purchase.

My inability to get credit has definitely made me more responsible about expenses and bills. If I don't have the money to buy something, then I don't buy it. If I don't save the cash to pay a bill, I'll suffer the consequences.

If I were offered a credit-card tomorrow, I would decline it. I'm happy without plastic smile.png

Simon

< If I don't have the money to buy something, then I don't buy it. If I don't save the cash to pay a bill, I'll suffer the consequences>

Good plan. I have done that since 1992. The bankers probably hate me.

Firstly its great that you and your wife are close

In regards to the credit card debt you need to man up a bit a realized that "you" mis-managed the funds not your wife. After all as you stated, you looked after all bills not her.

Credit cards are great as long as you manage the credit and don't start using them inappropriately i.e. use them for convenience and not as a line of credit when you cant pay the card off within the interest free period.

Good luck with paying off the bills and apologise to your wife for burdening her with a collective problem.

My wife is Thai ,has lived in the UK and travelled with me ,she has a credit card and debit cards ,she pays her credit card bill at the end of the month ,if she doesnt she pays interest on the money ,sorry but whats not to understand?