Why do Thai people always think a farang wants a Thai girlfriend?

michaeltheR

46 minutes ago, BobbyL said:

That might be in the bar scene with the older gents. There are many younger people living here like myself, as well as quite a few other people I know, who aren't in relationships with lower class Thai women. 

I agree, there is that stigma with relationships like that with Thai's of a certain social status, but I would say in my experience that it certainly isn't as cut and dry as just 'they must nearly all be poor lower class women with no education or job prospects'. 

occupation of your other halfs parents please?

• Like 1

On 12/02/2018 at 4:54 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

It seems that was the polite way of telling her: No Thai wants to marry a small brown girl like you.

Interesting that, because I've had exactly the same thing said to me by a very petite and cute brown skinned girl I know here, and whom I think is most attractive.

Luckily I, like you, like small brown girls!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

occupation of your other halfs parents please?

Her dad left when she was a kid, her mum owns a restaurant. Nothing hi so at all but they use their money wisely, like funding my wife to study a MSc in England from 2015 - 2017 before we moved back here. She now has a good job and probably earns more than most TEFL teachers here.

She isn't some spoilt little hi so girl, nor is she some darked skin lady of the night. I would just say a normal middle class Thai woman of this generation, of which there are many, and some actually prefer white guys as a partner and not as an ATM. 

Edited by BobbyL
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

She's lower class then, same as all the other Thai ladies married to foreign men.

Such an incredibly simplistic view. By your reasoning unless her family have some highly successful business or careers they must be lower class. 

If her mum funding just under 1.5M Baht for her to live and study in England for two years is lower class then so be it. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, BobbyL said:

Such an incredibly simplistic view. By your reasoning unless her family have some highly successful business or careers they must be lower class. 

We're both British, our countries definition of class is fairly rigid, unlike Americans who define class by money. Although I doubt many Americans would define paying 30,000gbp on schooling defining anyone as wealthy. Yeah, my wife is at university, but her parents were rice farmers making her low class too.

Edited by MaeJoMTB
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, BobbyL said:

I just struggle to see how you can define someone's class so easily. 

I don't define class at all, someone else did that then wrote it down in a dictionary.

If it were up to me I'd rather marry someone that owns a rice farm, over a Thai schoolteacher up to her ears in debt.

Edited by MaeJoMTB
  • Like 1

I am begining to understand the reasons for some posters being extremely bitter and resentful of all things thai, though living here and married yo a local. Normal Thais going about their daily work do not differentiate between a peasants child and a office workers or a doctors, if all were to be studying in the same school.

• Like 1

On 2/11/2018 at 9:25 PM, stament said:

Why do people open up these old topics?

Do you think a topic previously discussed is somehow verboten to be discussed in the future.  Your conversations must be very limited!

Edited by norrska
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

The thing with the skin color is incredible. Some time ago I asked one women in an office who Noi is. She told me something like "the 2nd whitest women in this office". I was surprised by that answer and asked her if she could rank all of them (about 10) by how dark their skin is. She told me with out hesitation: Yes. After that I spoke with other Thai women and they all confirmed they know exactly who is a little darker or whiter. It must be incredible important to them.

Does this factor in the whitening cream treatments, or is it based on natural pigment.  It's a bit like a golf handicap, the great equalizer.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, norrska said:

Does this factor in the whitening cream treatments, or is it based on natural pigment.  It's a bit like a golf handicap, the great equalizer.

I am sure they would know if one of them was a little darker or lighter maybe some months ago. What I found amazing is the fact that many of them look similar to me. Even if they would all stand in a row I would have difficulties to decide if one is maybe a little whiter than another. But for them it seem they all know exactly where they are in that pecking order.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

I hate the class divide in Thailand. 

A lot of crap being posted here as if there are some rules about finding your significant other. When I was shagging my much younger Thai gf back in Canada, I thought...my God...once I arrive to Thailand I'm gonna have a pick of the litter. Well, not really...as it turns out I wanted something else beside an unemployed university student dropping her panties at my whim (sad face). Anyway there isn't really a class divide it's really what's available to you at the moment for most men and women. All "wealthy" Thai women I met in Canada were screwing white (and to shock of most TV posters) black Canadians. None of them were with a Thai guy.

What Joe is trying to say I think is that if she is from a broken marriage, she might be considered lower class. I know my ex would probably think so, and in fact every time we were in public and there was a white guy with a darker woman she'd proclaim "Look, Isaan couple!"

My wife is darker skinned woman from the south. Her parents are not poor, sent her to Bangkok for education and my wife has an excellent job with international company. She paid her own townhouse at the age of 31 and now puts all the money in her pocket. I'm sure to my ex she would still be considered low class simply because of the way she dresses and lives.

I find that when Westerners come to Thailand they like to brag about their relationships like never before.....and God knows I'm guilty of that. Be it that their wife/gf is super hot, from a Chinese Hiso family or 50 years younger. In each end every example there are huge insecurities at place when discussing such matters on a public forum.

Personally I'm just glad I'm not alone as I'd likely be if I stayed in Canada as man in his mid 40s.

All good points.

The one thing I strongly disagree with is the view from some on here, and other people in this country, that any Thai with a white person must be poor and only there for the money. Also, if they are not pale and white they must be 'low class'. Just simply not true, unless people spend there whole time in the bar scene. 

Edited by BobbyL

1 hour ago, BobbyL said:

Also, if they are not pale and white they must be 'low class'. Just simply not true, unless people spend there whole time in the bar scene. 

All the girls in the Ping Payom (infamous Chiang Mai soapy) are 'super white'

There is obviously a big class thinking in Thailand. But should we care?

I remember visiting an office in a 5-star hotel with a new girl who just started as a trainee. She look "normal" to me. Later someone told me she is from a real rich HiSo family just learning the job (in the hotel business).

And I am sure there were other women from a relative poor background who were happy they worked hard enough to get that job.

For me it doesn't make a difference.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, norrska said:

Do you think a topic previously discussed is somehow verboten to be discussed in the future.  Your conversations must be very limited!

Nope just wondered why not start a new thread as very often reopened threads contain out of date info and a new one can be more relevant 

Edited by stament

This string arguing wether dark is beautiful vs ?? .. it pretty pathetic.. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and Who”s to judge someone when your not looking through there eyes.. 

As for Mr single good on you.. but I wonder what’s got up your nose that you so condemning of some very beautiful women.. it’s quite a chip your carrying.. I wonder are you attractive and through who’s eyes that may be? I’d be interested to hear about your hobbies as they obviously occupy a large percent of your spare time.... and apparently fully engage you..... maybe a bad previous experience has sent you running to hills??

Edited by IssanDad

• 1 month later...
On 16/02/2018 at 5:13 PM, MaeJoMTB said:

Same for me in the UK.

In fact my former wife proclaimed "You are never going to have sex again" when she told me about the divorce shortly after we turned 50. (Boy was she wrong)

UK women over 50yo rarely have sex? 

18 minutes ago, Justfine said:

UK women over 50yo rarely have sex? 

UK women with 2 kids rarely have sex (with their husbands) ....... usually it's over by the time they're 30-35.

Different game for single moms looking for a free house.

That's fine by me, as I don't want sex with infertile women.

(immortal soul etc.)

Edited by MaeJoMTB

On ‎28‎/‎10‎/‎2013 at 10:34 PM, beachproperty said:

I don't think its a case of quote "Thai people just cant imagine a young farang not wanting the date a Thai woman."...

Its more that the Thai women (now not all) WANT a farang husband....somehow in their mind I think it equates to MONEY and being treated better....

think of all the children up in the Northeast who live in these villages and the Thai's with the NICEST houses , cars etc. are the ones who are married to farangs.....so what do you think these young girls aspire to when they grow up ....."Marry a Farang"?

Not saying its right...not even saying its true....its just one mans opinion

When I first arrived in Thailand, I paid a female taxi driver to show me round the town. Within an hour of me getting into her car, she was trying to fix me up with a Thai wife/girlfriend - apparently many westerners who come here are looking for just exactly that, or at least, more or less expect it to happen. So far I have escaped the attentions of any Thai women (more or less).