Speed cameras coming to Phuket roads

Lite Beer

Speed cameras coming to Phuket roads
Phuket Gazette -

phuketnews_2013111139203_RdpTNBGtBSeOazG

One of the new speed cameras. Photo: Irfarn Jamdukor

PHUKET: Four speed cameras are being set up on Phuket roads in an effort to reduce road traffic accidents and increase awareness of speed limits, police told the Phuket Gazette on Monday.

The cameras may also help police solve crimes, as they may capture images of suspects fleeing crime scenes, said Phuket Provincial Police Deputy Commander Saneh Yawila.

The total cost of the cameras, which are expected to become operational by January, is 16.8 million baht, Col Saneh said.

Two of the cameras will be deployed in Phuket City, and two in Thalang – one along Thepkrasattri Road and one in the Tah Chat Chai area, he explained.

“We can’t reveal the exact location of the cameras; it’s an official secret,” Col Saneh said.

“When someone drives over the speed limit, the camera will record a video with a time stamp. From the video, we can capture a clear image of the driver and the car’s license plate. Then a computer will check the plate number against our car registration records and print a speeding ticket,” Col Saneh said.

Police are in the process of setting up the cameras, testing them, and training officers how to use the system.

“When we’re ready to start the program, we’ll inform the public about it,” he said.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Speed-cameras-coming-to-Phuket-roads-22682.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-11-01

4.2 million baht per camera - they really padded out the price smile.png

That is just 100.000 Euro's... it really IS around that price for a speeding camera with digital interface. These seem to be a new type of camera taking video and then capturing pictures from the video images. The older versions we worked with basically took two pictures one after the other and had hard-coded the speed captured from the multinova printed on em. They were able to zoom automatically and capture cars over three lanes.

Will they exempt the mini buses for a small back hander?

No doubt these cameras will work/not work as required. Much the same as all the Patong street cameras,

Agree. And even if they would work there is no way the speeding ticket will reach the offender. And even if it were to reach the offender there is no way he would pay.

Yes - I have to agree that for many reasons there is not much chance any ticket could stand a chance of being delivered to the driver or even the owner. Often the case the buyers of second hand vehicles don't bother re-registering to save paying the transfer tax. And how many folks bother advising of change of address. Also, who is liable for the fine - driver or owner. Lot of issues to be sorted out before fines can be collected.

I think money of this size is better spent on roaming speed vans like they have in Australia which are painted a dark grey so are difficult to tell apart from regular vans as eventually most people find out where fixed cameras are located. However as many point out on here collection will not be easy if people do not register used car purchases. Also how are drivers supposed to know the speed limit as I hardly ever see a speed limit sign.

Edited by FiestyFarang
  • Like 2

No doubt these cameras will work/not work as required. Much the same as all the Patong street cameras,

Agree. And even if they would work there is no way the speeding ticket will reach the offender. And even if it were to reach the offender there is no way he would pay.

Yes - I have to agree that for many reasons there is not much chance any ticket could stand a chance of being delivered to the driver or even the owner. Often the case the buyers of second hand vehicles don't bother re-registering to save paying the transfer tax. And how many folks bother advising of change of address. Also, who is liable for the fine - driver or owner. Lot of issues to be sorted out before fines can be collected.

I think it could be quite simple. The owner of the Car is responsible.

When the car owner goes to renew is yearly tax, if there are outstanding fines the owner has to pay them then.

If the car owner wasn't driving, its up to him to get the fine off the driver.

It will become more complicated when the penalty points system is introduced - Again, the owner of the car is responsible and takes the points if he can't claim someone else was driving at the time.

When the car owner goes to renew is yearly tax, if there are outstanding fines the owner has to pay them then.

It will become more complicated when the penalty points system is introduced - Again, the owner of the car is responsible and takes the points if he can't claim someone else was driving at the time.

Agree, sounds like an easy system.

But will it be implemented?

Not a bad idea. Now - how about those owners who don't bother paying the yearly tax. Those are the ones likely collecting the tickets.

Not a bad idea. Now - how about those owners who don't bother paying the yearly tax. Those are the ones likely collecting the tickets.

I think the biggest speed offenders here would be minibuses. And they really can't operate without the tax sticker, so a big part of the fines would/could be collected.

I do like how they are investing in traffic solutions across the island as drivers are pretty reckless here. I noticed even many new stop lights which is awesome BUT if your going to put up speed cameras how about informing the public about the speed limit... all I see is the sign that says to reduce speed to 60 around some corners but where is the regular limit...? I have never seen a speed limit sign.

And just for general reference... what is the limit? 80? 100?

The only places I see the speed limit information board seems to be on the provincial boundaries. So the average tourist here on Phuket Island will never see a speed limit sign.

Speed Limits on Thailand's roads:

The maximum speed limit on expressways and country roads varies from 90 to 120 km/h while the speed limit in towns and cities is 60 km/h.

I agree, and with no enforcement of him not paying the fine, they are useless.

The poor will not pay - no money. The rich will not pay - a friend or relative in the police will make it go away.

With all the tourists in hire cars and on hired motorbikes here, even if they speed, they have gone back home before any action could be taken against them, so they will not pay.

I suppose that just leaves the farang expat being the only one who will pay up.

Edited by NamKangMan

How can they be "SECRET"? They will be out in plane view or they won't be able to see the speeder. They are easy to spot.

Or maybe they will hide them in a van parked along the road like they do in America.

Edited by Mrjlh

4.2 million baht per camera - they really padded out the price smile.png

Even if they were 10 times this price if they were red light cameras they would pay for themselves in a week in Pattaya.

Probably would be a bigger source of income than income tax if they could collect the fines.

I can see the hire car companies loving this as they've already got your credit card details to take their 5,000 baht 'admin' fee when they get your ticket !

What if two drivers are nominated? Eg. two friends

The fine should be paid by the driver, not the hirer.

Edited by NamKangMan

That's how its done.
I was snapped speeding in BKK and the fine was waiting for me at the registry office when I paid my tax.

The only places I see the speed limit information board seems to be on the provincial boundaries. So the average tourist here on Phuket Island will never see a speed limit sign.

Speed Limits on Thailand's roads:

The maximum speed limit on expressways and country roads varies from 90 to 120 km/h while the speed limit in towns and cities is 60 km/h.

And all this time, I thought it was 120 in town and 60 on sidewalks.

I can see the hire car companies loving this as they've already got your credit card details to take their 5,000 baht 'admin' fee when they get your ticket !

You are splitting hairs - the hire companies won't give a monkeys about this. They have one set of credit card details and the 'admin' fee will come off of that - the hirer, driver, passengers etc etc can all argue about who should pay amongst themselves but the hire company will already have their money.

This is not exclusive to Thailand - car hire is one of the biggest rip-off industries in the world, worldwide! Their tactics would make a con man blush !

Go through the camera whilst speeding, and get photographed, ring up and cancel your card - job done. Better still, hire the car, and then then cancel the card anyway, to avoid the "scratch" scam - you can simply say you lost it.

Tell me, what's the hire car company going to do about that?

Edited by NamKangMan

You are splitting hairs - the hire companies won't give a monkeys about this. They have one set of credit card details and the 'admin' fee will come off of that - the hirer, driver, passengers etc etc can all argue about who should pay amongst themselves but the hire company will already have their money.

This is not exclusive to Thailand - car hire is one of the biggest rip-off industries in the world, worldwide! Their tactics would make a con man blush !

Go through the camera whilst speeding, and get photographed, ring up and cancel your card - job done. Better still, hire the car, and then then cancel the card anyway, to avoid the "scratch" scam - you can simply say you lost it.

I can imagine the car hire company will check for outstanding fines before returning the deposit.

Unless you know where the speed cameras is and knowingly speed past it [in order for a snap to be taken from the video] how else would you know that you have been busted?

What would trigger you to go and cancel your credit card otherwise?

Sorry that plan's flawed big time.

@ andreandre

The speed cameras and red light cameras in my home country have a flash. I admit, in the day, you might not know you have been photographed, but at night, you certainly do.

Yes , many countries still have 'flash',but from OP;

“When someone drives over the speed limit, the camera will record a video with a time stamp. From the video, we can capture a clear image of the driver and the car’s license plate. Then a computer will check the plate number against our car registration records and print a speeding ticket,” Col Saneh said.

As in many countries these fixed cameras locations are soon known by the locals at least and become less effective at revenue raising.

The covert ,mobile ones are the ones that can trap the most people