Renewal of Retirement Visa, complicated story

Hello, I would appreciate advice / suggestions / opinions on the following

I live upcountry

I have a retirement visa, I am now working a rotational job, 5 weeks in Baku, 3 weeks in Thailand.

My retirement visa runs out in January right in the middle of my work spell in Baku, note I have to stick to this work schedule.

I know from previous experience you are allowed about 7 days either side of a retirement visa renewal date but mine is about 2 to 3 weeks.

I would like to renew my retirement visa as my Thai driving license is up for renewal in May 2014 and I believe you need a visa like a retirement visa to renew it.

Added to this my passport is full, so if it is renewed I would need it transfering onto my new passport.

I did enquire about using my new passport for my retirement visa last time I renewed but the immigration officail indicated to destroy my old passport, I cannot do this as it has my original Baku visa inside.

So

Do you think it is possible to ask the immigration to renew my retirement visa several weeks early using my new passport whilst keeping my old passport?

Should I just let my retirement visa laspse in January and come in on a tourist visa until i acually retire?

If I fail to get my retirement visa how can I renew my Thai driving license next year?

Oh and one last item, if I go back to a tourist visa I presume I just get one for 4 weeks when I arrive, are there any restrictions

Sensable suggestions appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

chrisjohn66

We believe you have a one year extension of stay for retirement issued by immigration that expires (sometime in January). If this is wrong please advise.

Normally at least 30 days early is allowed for new retirement extension of stay application and indeed most offices seem to allow up to 45 days early currently. Immigration has nothing to do with your old passport and visas in that passport will remain valid if it is not destroyed by your Embassy.

Get a new passport now - visit immigration for transfer of current retirement extension into new passport presenting both - make application of new extension of stay in normal manner - get a new re-entry permit.

• Like 2

We believe you have a one year extension of stay for retirement issued by immigration that expires (sometime in January). If this is wrong please advise.

Normally at least 30 days early is allowed for new retirement extension of stay application and indeed most offices seem to allow up to 45 days early currently. Immigration has nothing to do with your old passport and visas in that passport will remain valid if it is not destroyed by your Embassy.

Get a new passport now - visit immigration for transfer of current retirement extension into new passport presenting both - make application of new extension of stay in normal manner - get a new re-entry permit.

Having a retirement visa and working full time? I am not saying that it is wrong,just wondering how those two go together?
  • Like 1

If you ask nicely immigration will usually let you get your visa two months before it expires. I have done this several times

It's not a visa.

Immigrations don't give visas.

It's an extension of stay based on retirement.

No matter how nicely you ask, they won't/can't give you a visa.

• Like 1

He is retired in Thailand - he can still be working full or part time elsewhere.

He said he is working in Thailand and the other place.

"I have a retirement visa, I am now working a rotational job, 5 weeks in Baku, 3 weeks in Thailand."

Could be construed to mean that he is working in Baku for 5 weeks and then coming back to Thailand and workig for 3 weeks,. I think that he means he is working for 5 in Baku and kicking back in Thailand for 3, so Retirement extension is Okay!

rolleyes.gif As was said apply for your retirement extension....which is not a retirement visa but really an extension based on retirement.

Visa are issued out of Thailand, what you get in country at immigration in Thailand is an approved extension based on retirement in Thailand,

I think that's what you actually have ..... you got it in Thailand at tour local immigration, correct?

You can extend that for another year 30 days before it needs renewal.

Now, at the same time you do that get yourself a multi entry and re-entry exit permit for 3800 Baht.

That permit is good for one year, the same time limit as you retirement visa/extension.

The permit allows you to leave country and return.

Because you are outside of Thailand you do NOT need to do 90 day reporting. You only need to do 90 day reporting when you are residing IN THAILAND.

When you are out of Thailand working you are exempted from 90 day reporting .... that's what the permit is for.

When you return to Thailand your 90 day reporting clock is restarted.

You probably should be sure to show it to the immigration at the airport when you leave and re-enter, so the airport immigration won't give you a 30 day visa exempt entry.

The multi entry permit allows you to do unlimited exits and re-entries during that one year period of your retirement extension/visa.

In your case, as you are working shift work, it is well worth the 3800 Baht it will cost you.

On the 3 weeks you are back be sure to go to your local immigration and do a 90 day reporting.

They may simply write on your 90 reporting card a new date and tell you to come back on that date ... but again if you have that multi exit re-entry permit .... you won't need to report if you are out of the country.

I was due to report in September 2013, but I had purchased a exit re-entry permit. I returned on 20 September and it said so on my entry card.

So when I went to immigration here in Bangkok, she simply looked up 90 days from my entry date of 20 September which is 18 December.

So now I have to report on 18 December 2013 ... or 90 days after I retuned to Thailand.

That's the point of that exit and re-entry permit.

wink.png

Edited by IMA_FARANG

If you ask nicely immigration will usually let you get your visa two months before it expires. I have done this several times

It's not a visa.

wrong!

they can issue an "O'' visa

It is possible to get an actual O VISA at many Thai immigration offices for the purpose of THEN getting an annual extensions based on retirement. So to say immigration doesn't give visas isn't precisely true.

I'll concede your point, although it wouldn't apply in this case where it's stated that whoever is supposedly "renewing a retirement visa."

On the other hand, the O Visa obtained via Immigrations is usually (always ?) not so much issuing a visa as offering a change of visa type to facilitate the application for an extension.

For the traveler who obtained tourist visa and wish to stay longer or may wish to change their visa type must fill an application for permission at the nearest immigration office where they are staying or at the Office of Immigration Bureau located at Government Center B, Chaengwattana Soi 7, Laksi, Bangkok 10210, Tel 0-2141-9889 (or at http://www.immigration.go.th). The extension of stay should be done one week before the last permitted date mentioned on the immigration's stamp in your passport. The extension of stay as well as the change of certain type of visa is solely at the discretion of the Immigration officer.

In any event the majority of people claiming they are getting a visa from Immigrations or that they are renewing (a long dead) visa, are not.

Edited by Suradit69

It's not a visa.

wrong!

Wrong!

They change the visa type.

Immigration will issue a non immigrant visa entry but only if you present documents and qualify for an extension of stay. They don't issue O, B or any category of visa.

Edited by Suradit69

You do not need a 90 day reporting if you leave and re enter the country during that period Just start from the time you re enter That is reporting to an immigration officer

I did the same and clearly told You do not need to report if you leave and re enter since that is considered reporting

Just take the re entry from the time you re enter to the next reporting unless of course you re enter again

You do not need a 90 day reporting if you leave and re enter the country during that period Just start from  the time you re enter  That is reporting to an immigration officer

I did the same and clearly told You do not need to report if you leave and re enter since that is considered reporting

Just take the re entry from the time you re enter to the next reporting unless of course you re enter again

It is not considered reporting. It is because are not in the country for 90 days or more.

Presumably the OP has a multiple re-entry extension, so he never has to do a 90 day report since he is never in Thailand long enough. Getting the passport renewed early would be the best advice -- and make sure the new passport has the maximum number of pages. ;) You don't mention the nationality, but it should be possible to get the old passport back, suitable defaced by clipped corners or whatever.

Why does every discussion of this type degenerate into a bickering "it's not a visa it's an extension of stay" argument. The man asked a fairly straightforward question. How about a straightforward answer from those who claim to know. Pretty well everyone knows that the term spouse/retirement visa/extension of stay is used interchangeably, rightly or wrongly. The replies to some of these questions only serve to confuse the issue and result in the OP often being more confused than he/she was originally.

A simple answer taking into account my above comments would be more worthwhile and less time consuming for all concerned.

• Like 1

Why does every discussion of this type degenerate into a bickering "it's not a visa it's an extension of stay" argument. The man asked a fairly straightforward question. How about a straightforward answer from those who claim to know. Pretty well everyone knows that the term spouse/retirement visa/extension of stay is used interchangeably, rightly or wrongly. The replies to some of these questions only serve to confuse the issue and result in the OP often being more confused than he/she was originally.

A simple answer taking into account my above comments would be more worthwhile and less time consuming for all concerned.

Life would indeed be easier if people acknowledged that retirement,marriage, family, work etc "visas" simply do not exist!smile.png

Edited by thaiexpat21
  • Like 1

The advance renewal period may vary from Immigration to Immigration. Some have posted that 45 days in advance is accepted, some say the “law” is 30 days; however at Samui they will only allow 7 days in advance. Best to check up with “your” Immigration first.

Flame and reply removed. It appears OP works for 5 weeks and then spends 3 weeks off in Thailand as with many such offshore work schedules.

Perhaps he is working five weeks in Baku and resting in Thailand for three weeks but that is not what he said.

I have a retirement visa, I am now working a rotational job, 5 weeks in Baku, 3 weeks in Thailand.

When dealing with Immigration it is best to state the facts and not leave them open to different opinions.

He could just have easily said I am working in Baku for 5 weeks and then retire to Thailand for three weeks.

No misunderstanding with that. Are we suppose to be mind readers now. My reply was to what was stated. Not what I thought he could mean.

If I thought uit could have meant some thing else I would have said so.

• Like 1

It's not a visa.

wrong!

Wrong!

They change the visa type.

when a person enters Thailand at a border depending on their countries agreement with Thailand, they can enter for a period of 90 days, 60 days, 30 days, or 15 days

wether a person enters by air or a land crossing can also affect the duration of the entry allowed to the person and the agreement the persons government has with Thailand

however all have this in common, in the absence of any visa of any type, they enter Thailand under the visa exemption agreement, as outlined by the ministry of foreign affairs :

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/123/15396-Tourist-Visa-Exemption.html

According to the Interior Ministerial Announcements dated 1 October B.E. 2545 (2002), 20 December B.E. 2545 (2002), 18 October B.E. 2547 (2004), 6 May B.E. 2548 (2005), and 23 June 2554 (2011), passport holders from 48 countries and 1 special administrative region - Hong Kong SAR - are not required to obtain a visa when entering Thailand for tourism purposes

as the name of the agreement suggests they are visa exempt, they have no need for a visa to enter and they do not get one when entering Thailand, just a visa exempt stamp. valid for the period they qualify for.

this is not a visa

however assuming a person qualifies, Thai immigration can convert this visa exemption entry stamp to an "O" category visa if the applicant is then applying for a further 1 year extension of said ''O'' visa for the purposes of retirement

so Immigration are not changing the ''visa type'' as suradit69 suggests to an ''O'' visa as the applicant does not hold a ''visa'' of any type, they are holding a visa exemption entry stamp only

suradit69 is wrong, immigration can issue an ''O'' visa in certain circumstances and they do not just change the type of visa

Edited by blackman