Outrageous Double Pricing in Thailand!

Stradavarius37

Taking the moral high ground is worth doing -even for 50 baht, especially if you explain gently to your son the reasons for your actions. Its a good thing for him to learn to stand up for something you believe in.

I did it once in a national park with my wife and several other thais in the car. The park gatekeepers were clearly discussing and laughing about my escalating rage at the 60baht to 400 baht difference. The Thais in the car (15yr old Sportrider with 340,000 on the clock - great car)

were all getting more and more embarassed. We eventually ended up in the Park Managers office. After his patient and valiant attempts to calm me down eventually worked, he let us all in at the Thai price. But then I felt foolish. Just another day in LOS.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This one's a classic! The Thai font reads 3-baht. Would you choose, to crap your pants?

Drop a log on the ground? Pay the 2-baht overcharge?

IMG_1823_toilet.jpg

Same thing happened to me in Bali.

Sign in Indonesian advertising 'small water' 50 Rp "Large water" 100Rp

In English it said 'use of urinal 200Rp, Use of toilet 500Rp"

• Like 1

It HAS been a while since the obligatory double pricing thread hasn't it? xthumbsup.gif.pagespeed.ic.ysn6H7pBDU.we alt=thumbsup.gif width=25 height=19>

btw if this thread is your definition of sarcasm, errm either someone is way old, or has way too much time on his hands... sarcasm should be short, witty, and never initiated. (the word "troll" comes to mind) xthumbsup.gif.pagespeed.ic.ysn6H7pBDU.we alt=thumbsup.gif width=25 height=19>

So we are now using the word sarcasm incorrectly to describe satire? Noted...

no, I just don't find your post funny at all, it just seems troll like, though like I said, could be a generational thing.

Met cousin for 1st time in 20 years this week & took him & his partner + another couple to see some sights.

I stumped up the 100bt for Wat Po but drew the line at 500bt for Grand Palace despite Thai driving licence (yoo krung thayp khup) as we'd already missed the Emerald Bhudda (whom I've seen before).

Whilst managing to deter the guy that had already persuaded my guests to join him as they were not suitably dressed/it was Thais only that day for the Palace, I did have to accept a non-metered taxi (300bt back to Victory) & 150bt per person direct boat from Sapan Thaksin at their request.

However, the wife later got us discounted dinner price for Baiyoke and finally a taxi agreed to take them on the meter to Patpong.

So overall a mixed bag mixing with the tourists but could have been worse, they were collared for 1000bt each on their 1st day for a trip round the klong of Thonburi.

I also refuse to pay any farang-charge. Heck that's why i don't even go to see waterfalls or national parks anymore.

Also i 've been to a local hospital in BKK for some treatment and just had to pay the normal thai price. And i don't have a Thai drivers-license.

My Thai friends know i will not pay extra so all of us don't go to places like that anymore.

We should do the same to the Thai whenever they go to visit places in our home-country's. Just ask double prices to them for a museum or botanical garden, then i 'm sure the problem will be over soon.

I don't drive a Benz or BMW and never will because i don't want to have a car that let's me down so often. Better drive Japanese brands they last much longer.

Tell your Thai friends to come to Florida. We get em good there; 3000 baht more for a 4 day pass at Disney World than the locals or military. biggrin.png

I bet no Thai will take the 4day pass, 1 day is enough to make pictures to show to the family. And 4 days walking in a sunny park without any massage is impossible for them.

So then i also have to pay 3000 baht extra as being a European? Well in that case Europe should do the same to Americans.

I hate that whole system of dual pricing. Good that you warned me, i will never come to Florida because of this. We have been in Disney-Hongkong allready though. I know many Asian country's have that system but in Europe i have never seen it. Also i think only corrupt country's do it. In Europe they charge tourist-tax in hotels but that is also for locals. I don't understand why they call me a tourist if i book a hotelroom in my own city .

We also should charge the Asians for making pictures in Europe. That's they only thing they want to do, visit all capitals in a short trip and make loads of pictures to show at home and on facebook.

btw if this thread is your definition of sarcasm, errm either someone is way old, or has way too much time on his hands... sarcasm should be short, witty, and never initiated. (the word "troll" comes to mind) thumbsup.gif.pagespeed.ce.dtxKiAJ9C7.gif alt=thumbsup.gif width=25 height=19>

So we are now using the word sarcasm incorrectly to describe satire? Noted...

Stradavarius37 ... unashamed troll .. noted

If however, if you wish to proclaim that the OP, as you described it, actually happened ... xwhistling.gif.pagespeed.ic.ojTJe3dkhL.w alt=whistling.gif width=19 height=18>

Shame really, now that your card is marked.

Marked by you? Well, I guess I'll just have to find a way to live with myself thumbsup.gif . If you can't understand the satire of the OP, in relation to the dozens and dozens of topics that continuously churn through TV, then for your peace of mind "Yes, it happened exactly as I described it." Feel better?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

What's principles in Thailand?cheesy.gif

You have to take the ruff with the smooth.

I love the fact that I can drive my 450slc ( sorry its a merc) ( but its old is that OK?) foot to the metal, all the way to Udon Thani from Pattaya and approx every 1,500 Klms pay a fine or tea money of 200-400 baht.

Worth every penny!

I Can't see the Thais toning down Loy Kratong or Songkran cos some irate muslim feels offended in some way at his country's religious beliefs.

I could go on and on.

I guess your wife's 10-20 years younger than you?

What's principles in Thailand?cheesy.gif

If however, if you wish to proclaim that the OP, as you described it, actually happened ... whistling.gif

Marked by you? Well, I guess I'll just have to find a way to live with myself thumbsup.gif .

xphoto-thumb-168665.jpg,q_r=1364809496.p

Stradavarius37

Mate, I'm glad that you can live by yourself ... thumbsup.gif

But, it will be much more difficult to get the next Troll subject up and running.

I'm sure the fine folk will see through you next time ... rolleyes.gif

Stradavarius37

The Dark Knight

• xphoto-thumb-168665.jpg,q_r=1364809496.p
  • Advanced Members
  • xbullet_black.png.pagespeed.ic.T-QIOvT2cxbullet_black.png.pagespeed.ic.T-QIOvT2cxbullet_black.png.pagespeed.ic.T-QIOvT2cxbullet_black.png.pagespeed.ic.T-QIOvT2c
  • 854 posts

Posted 2013-11-02 16:28:47

xstar_big.png.pagespeed.ic.DVNxbWssSO.we

POPULAR

I was taking my son to the Sampran Elephant Grounds and Crocodile Farm yesterday. They charged my son the Thai price (he is a luk krueng) but wanted me to pay the farang tourist price!! I showed them my Thai driver's licences and used my best Thai phrase (Mee hong nam mai?) but the gate agents were merciless. I grabbed my protesting 7 year old son and left, because I will not let his happiness be a barrier to my firm moral stand against such vile corruption... No elephant is worth paying an extra 50 baht because of the color of my skin.

I got into my new Mercedes and drove off...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would agree with you if you were a taxpayer in Thailand and not just another falang having contributed (NOT) taxwise
earlier to Thailand.
If you have done all this, THAN I would agree and be pissed..
Glegolo

It's no so unusual to have different pricing.

In Queensland, (AUS) many of the museums are free to local residents - just show your licence with address on it - and the tourists pay the normal fee.

Certainly not based on race or skin colour - that's illegal.

If however, if you wish to proclaim that the OP, as you described it, actually happened ... xwhistling.gif.pagespeed.ic.ZBoTdH8LFs.w alt=whistling.gif width=19 height=18>

Marked by you? Well, I guess I'll just have to find a way to live with myself thumbsup.gif.pagespeed.ce.dtxKiAJ9C7.gif alt=thumbsup.gif width=25 height=19> .

100x100xphoto-thumb-168665.jpg,q_r=13648

Stradavarius37

Mate, I'm glad that you can live by yourself ... thumbsup.gif.pagespeed.ce.dtxKiAJ9C7.gif alt=thumbsup.gif width=25 height=19>

But, it will be much more difficult to get the next Troll subject up and running.

I'm sure the fine folk will see through you next time ... rolleyes.gif.pagespeed.ce.hZ59UWKk-s.gif alt=rolleyes.gif width=20 height=20>

Challenge Accepted....

Anyone know the Thai word for 'racist'?

We can mutter that when we pay (could be a defamation issue though whistling.gif.pagespeed.ce.FVjgnKnWS1.pn )

why?

My blond haired, blue eyed daughter with lilly white skin gets the Thai price each and every time. She has a Thai ID card which helps....

Anyone know the Thai word for 'racist'?

We can mutter that when we pay (could be a defamation issue though xwhistling.gif.pagespeed.ic.FVjgnKnWS1.p )

why?

My blond haired, blue eyed daughter with lilly white skin gets the Thai price each and every time. She has a Thai ID card which helps....

Exacltly. If it was racism wouldn't they charge the child of a Thai and a Westerner halfway between Thai price and Westerner price?

If however, if you wish to proclaim that the OP, as you described it, actually happened ... xwhistling.gif.pagespeed.ic.ZBoTdH8LFs.w alt=whistling.gif width=19 height=18>

Marked by you? Well, I guess I'll just have to find a way to live with myself thumbsup.gif.pagespeed.ce.dtxKiAJ9C7.gif alt=thumbsup.gif width=25 height=19> .

Stradavarius37

Mate, I'm glad that you can live by yourself ... thumbsup.gif.pagespeed.ce.dtxKiAJ9C7.gif alt=thumbsup.gif width=25 height=19>

I'm sure the fine folk will see through you next time ... rolleyes.gif.pagespeed.ce.hZ59UWKk-s.gif alt=rolleyes.gif width=20 height=20>

Challenge Accepted....

It appears not ... is-my-uk-pension-enough-to-support-my-girlfriend-and-her-other-boyfriend

Didn't last the hour.

I even missed the chance to comment, I was grocery shopping.

Mate, why bother?

Why try and take the piss from the guys here?

Do you feel superior trying to do that?

Pathetic ... bah.gif

You call yourself "farang", (in other words, an object in the eyes of a Thai), and then complain about being a victim of discrimination.

Joke or not from your part, you fail to see that this is exactly the mechanism that makes it easier to scam foreigners for hundred of thousands of baht every year. And maybe even a few deaths...

You call yourself "farang", (in other words, an object in the eyes of a Thai), and then complain about being a victim of discrimination.

Joke or not from your part, you fail to see that this is exactly the mechanism that makes it easier to scam foreigners for hundred of thousands of baht every year. And maybe even a few deaths...

In my experience 99% with Thais and expats would say you were wrong. For confirmation search the 126 threads about "is Farang a bad word" that have appeared on Thaivisa in the past few years.

• Like 1

Stradavarius37

Challenge Accepted....

It appears not ... is-my-uk-pension-enough-to-support-my-girlfriend-and-her-other-boyfriend

Didn't last the hour.

Mate, why bother?

Pathetic ... bah.gif

Hooked you though, didn't I? laugh.png

Stradavarius37

Challenge Accepted....

Didn't last the hour.

Mate, why bother?

Pathetic ... bah.gif

Hooked you though, didn't I? laugh.png

So you posted a false OP and thus a Troll?

Thanks for the admission of the fact.

It doesn't go unnoticed ... by me ... or others.

Punish your 7 year old child because you dissagree with a policy used all over Thailand, good for you.

Maybe they charged you extra because you're rich? They let me in for the Thai price, but I drive an Isuzu,

Do you really think the guys selling tickets give cr*p? They get paid by the day, and they're laughing at you.

Actually I think dual charging outside NPs and a few tourist attractions, is largely a myth. People love to air their racist prejudices and indulge in a bit of Thai bashing on this forum and dual pricing stories, apocryphal or not are a great way to do this.

Edited by wilcopops
  • Like 1

Stradavarius37

Challenge Accepted....

Didn't last the hour.

Mate, why bother?

Pathetic ... xbah.gif.pagespeed.ic.INo70HjZC3.webp alt=bah.gif width=19 height=19>

Hooked you though, didn't I? xlaugh.png.pagespeed.ic.W9oTakjBs5.webp alt=laugh.png width=20 height=20>

So you posted a false OP and thus a Troll?

Thanks for the admission of the fact.

It doesn't go unnoticed ... by me ... or others.

And yet you keep taking the bait....what does that say about you? lol

Punish your 7 year old child because you dissagree with a policy used all over Thailand, good for you.

Maybe they charged you extra because you're rich? They let me in for the Thai price, but I drive an Isuzu,

Do you really think the guys selling tickets give cr*p? They get paid by the day, and they're laughing at you.

Barstools filling up fast this morning.