Teaching hours at a uni

I plan to semi retire in Thailand in 2016. I would like to teach a little to ease myself into full time retirement mode.

I prefer to teach subject related courses but I am willing to teach English if nothing else is possible.

I have a juris Doctorate, masters in public administration, masters in social work and master in Human Resources. I would like to work under 20 hours per week. I have pension income of $2000 to $2200 a month. So the extra income from teaching would be great, but my primary objective is to give my day a bit of structure. I also like teaching having been a corporate trainer for a number of years and adjunct instructor for a local college here in the US .

I am open to living in Bangkok but would prefer CM. I am also open to other areas which are not rural.

Is landing a uni position under 20 hours even possible? If so, what type of salary might one expect ?

Thank you

Tim

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Edited by timtscott
  • Like 1

I suggest you refer to ajarn.com for more information.

Plenty of jobs available for a farang with a degree and teaching qualifications - but usually not well paid.

There are a few university positions available if you're lucky, and depending on the subject you may be able to fit in the hours you require.

But bear in mind there are more foreigners looking for these type of positions in Thailand than in any other asian country.

Thanks Andy. Yeah I use ajarn and Dave's for my research generally. Just hoping to land something under 20 hours a week for 30,000 B or so. I prefer to teach social work or public administration. I was offered a visiting lecturer position at a uni in BKK but unable to make the move just yet. They were offering 25,000 and an apartment (which I thought unusual for Thailand). Anyway, will wait until I get there to job search just was wondering what typical hours at unis were like. Thanks again

I'm a retired attorney from the USA and have been living in Thailand for 10 years. I have had teaching experience being an instuctor at the New York Police Dept.Academy. I spent 5 years teaching English and Mathematics in the Thai government School System. Most foreign teaches have a 20 hour week and the salary is usually between 35,000-40,000 TB per month. Almost all the foreign teachers that work in the Thai educational system are hired thru firms who do background checks(?) and qualify the teachers. You cannot apply directly to the schools them selves and must go thru one of these companies. You are more than qualified to teach here.One of the big problems in the Thailand English speaking programs is that 90% of the 'foreign teachers are not teachers at all'. Most have zero teaching experience and not competant to be in a teaching posotion.

• Like 2

Almost all the foreign teachers that work in the Thai educational system are hired thru firms who do background checks(?) and qualify the teachers. You cannot apply directly to the schools them selves and must go thru one of these companies

??

Of course you can apply directly.

If you speak Thai or someone in the school/university speaks English correctly, you can simply knock on their door.

Whereas from what I've seen when my school tried to work with such firms, they usually don't deserve the money they get from the school because they provide very poor services.

They'll tell you during months, in broken English, that they're doing your work permit, until you give up. And they'll stop understanding English when you need something of them.

I'm a retired attorney from the USA and have been living in Thailand for 10 years. I have had teaching experience being an instuctor at the New York Police Dept.Academy. I spent 5 years teaching English and Mathematics in the Thai government School System. Most foreign teaches have a 20 hour week and the salary is usually between 35,000-40,000 TB per month. Almost all the foreign teachers that work in the Thai educational system are hired thru firms who do background checks(?) and qualify the teachers. You cannot apply directly to the schools them selves and must go thru one of these companies. You are more than qualified to teach here.One of the big problems in the Thailand English speaking programs is that 90% of the 'foreign teachers are not teachers at all'. Most have zero teaching experience and not competant to be in a teaching posotion.

Yes, remember - you must be competant in your posotion. And learn to use spell check!

Thanks Andy. Yeah I use ajarn and Dave's for my research generally. Just hoping to land something under 20 hours a week for 30,000 B or so. I prefer to teach social work or public administration. I was offered a visiting lecturer position at a uni in BKK but unable to make the move just yet. They were offering 25,000 and an apartment (which I thought unusual for Thailand). Anyway, will wait until I get there to job search just was wondering what typical hours at unis were like. Thanks again

I got 30.000 Baht per month at a Nakhon Sawan high school, for exactly 20 hours teaching per week, but after a full semester, myself and the other Farang teachers were replaced by Philapinos at half our salary.

Agreed

I have a friend with a masters in English. She took the teafl course on learning to teach English and told mere it was one of the hardest courses she had ever taken.

It is a world of difference between knowing your subject and being able to teach it.

• Like 1

I do not agree with the 90%. I think 50% might be nearer the mark. There are well educated English teachers here who do not have a degree who are better than teachers who have say a degree in engineering. I know, I have worked with them. The truth is that your age and appearance are more important than your ability to teach. If there was a native speaking English teacher age 35 with blonde hair and blue eyes, and a dark haired teacher age 45 and brown eyes and more experience, but with the same qualifications,applying for the same job, it is a no brainer who will get it.

Do I recall correctly that to teach your WP4 can not be supported by/based on a Retirement Visa?

So knowing the ease at which such bodies hire & fire, have the means set aside to get a Visa in place to remain in country, otherwise you will get the 7 days to get your affairs in order before having to leave the country.

Especially with your degrees, apply directly. Get the word out that you are looking. Stay away from agencies unless you are in a pinch (with your pension, you should have plenty of time to look around and find a good fit). Chiangmai could work, but so could other places like Chonburi.

Yes, you can get 20 hours or less at a uni for the same pay other English teachers get. Go for it. Apply directly. There are some facebook pages dedicated to stuff like this, too, but I think I would just rustle up the universities that teach courses in English and target those.

• Like 1

You can apply directly with a school for a teaching job. I do agree that those that go through agencies

are leaving a lot of money on the table, as they want roughly 5k thb per month for handling the pay.

The schools pay cash on the last day of the month, the agencies hold your pay for 5 days in case you quit

they can shaft you for as much as they want, and I've been there.

I was under the impression and told not to do the retirement visa because if you get caught working, it's serious.

Teaching for a language school to teach corporate is probably safer because they know they are hiring people without

work permits and for some reason the having to have a work permit to teach doesn't apply to language schools.

If you have no experience with Thai schools do some research, it's not like any other school system I've ever seen.

good luck with it.

poor USA with attorneys not being able for right grammar

There is both good an bad info in the above replies. I have been teaching English for 8 years, and I am currently the Head Teacher at a language school. Here are a couple of comments regarding language schools, government schools or private international elementary/high schools.

First, you don't need to go thru an agency and I would avoid it if possible. Some are OK, but many are rip offs. (They keep too much and give the teacher too little.) Next, I suggest you get an English teaching certificate either before you come to Thailand or as soon as you get here. CELTA is the best one to have, but TEFL is also OK. The CELTA is 120 hours as are many TEFL courses. That is better than a 60 hour course. Even if you don't plan on teaching English it is a good qualification because sometimes only English positions are available.

Next, I would order transcripts for my degrees - probably 2 or 3 per degree. Also bring your original diplomas, including CELTA/TEFL. If you job requires a work permit (all do but some schools cheat), submit your transcripts if they will accept them because you don't want them to lose your original degree or spill coffee on it. Only happens rarely, but it can happen!

Now to be honest, I haven't had good luck with teachers who have too many degrees, and especially law degrees. They tend to be aggressive and think they know law - trust me they don't know law in Thailand, especially how it really works. So I would only list my law degree on my CV if it is relevant to the teaching position.

If you teach at a government school, you may only actually teach 20 hours per week, but you normally will be expected to arrive when the school opens and stay until if closes. So don't be misled by the 20 hours platform time. In many government schools there is no air conditioning, and you'll have 40 to 60 students in a classroom. (Not my idea of fun.) Furthermore, you may be expected to go to summer school camps, attend weekend functions, etc. Without any extra pay, of course. So carefully check out conditions, hours, etc.

International/private schools usually have air con and fewer students per class, but normally expect you to be there when the school is open and attend various activities. Pay may be a bit higher. The down side is that you have to deal with affluent/rich parents who will be demanding to the point of being unreasonable. Keep in mind that Thailand is a "no fail" society, so the students progress regardless of whether they learn anything or not.

Some schools promise you a 1 year visa and a work permit, but just string you along and never deliver. They just want you to make visa runs when your current visa expires.

Government and some private schools have breaks in April and October, so they hire at those times. Private language schools like ours hire whenever they need a teacher.

Chiang Mai's cost of living is lower than BKK; however, their salaries are usually much lower. I live and work in the northern suburbs of BKK and find in pleasant.

I don't know too much about university positions, but have been told some pay well and many don't. Also, keep in mind that it is normally not possible to teach at a government university if you are over 60 as that is their retirement age. I do know of some exceptions, however. Private universities do use instructors over 60 in some cases.

Finally, note that "college" in Thailand is like a trade school in the states. So we normally say "university" if referring to an institution that grant BA/BS degrees. Well off Thais don't send their kids to college!

• Like 1

Thai culture in the schools is 8 to 4pm if you are teaching. You teach about 20 hours a week, but, like today it is my day off, no classes, but I have to sign in and they expect to see my face, so I signed in came home, went back sat around did some reading some work, at home now will go back. I could be more productive at home today, but this is the way. I lost a job teaching because I left during free periods and lunch, crazy eh!

Salaries in Isaan 25-30,000 Baht per month, all Thai wages.salaries paid monthly.

I currently teach in Kalasin, at the Technical College. I am a Canadian, native English speaker.

I am 63, have taught teachers and have taught government employees on hourly contract.

Have four years teaching experience here...

Go to a Thai Language school and learn Thai.

Edited by Colabamumbai
  • Like 1

I got 30.000 Baht per month at a Nakhon Sawan high school, for exactly 20 hours teaching per week, but after a full semester, myself and the other Farang teachers were replaced by Philapinos at half our salary.[/

quote]

Apparently, the offending school administered a simple spelling test to the Filipinos to determine who was most qualified.

The atrocious spelling and grammar in these posts reveal a lot about the foreign teachers here.

Relax, OP, the benchmarks for excellence are pretty low.

Sent from my tin can via string.

Almost all the foreign teachers that work in the Thai educational system are hired thru firms who do background checks(?) and qualify the teachers. You cannot apply directly to the schools them selves and must go thru one of these companies. .

I've taught here in universities for longer than the above poster has lived here, and can assure you that the above content is rubbish.

Successful employment may be procured via internet and in-person follow-up visits.

Edited by Fookhaht
  • Like 1

Thai culture in the schools is 8 to 4pm if you are teaching. You teach about 20 hours a week, but, like today it is my day off, no classes, but I have to sign in and they expect to see my face, so I signed in came home, went back sat around did some reading some work, at home now will go back. I could be more productive at home today, but this is the way.  I lost a job teaching because I left during free periods and lunch, crazy eh!

Salaries in Isaan 25-30,000 Baht per month, all Thai wages.salaries paid monthly.

I currently teach in Kalasin, at the Technical College. I am a Canadian, native English speaker.

I am 63, have taught teachers and have taught government employees on hourly contract.

None of the above advice applies to teaching in a Thai university. At least half the posters in this thread are providing advice not applicable to the university scene. Due diligence is required on your part to wade through this very mixed bag.

Apologies to the OP, and a request to the primary, high school and college teachers in this forum to refrain from assuming all others' experience will follow yours.

• Like 1

Thai culture in the schools is 8 to 4pm if you are teaching. You teach about 20 hours a week, but, like today it is my day off, no classes, but I have to sign in and they expect to see my face, so I signed in came home, went back sat around did some reading some work, at home now will go back. I could be more productive at home today, but this is the way. I lost a job teaching because I left during free periods and lunch, crazy eh!

None of the above advice applies to teaching in a Thai university. At least half the posters in this thread are providing advice not applicable to the university scene. Due diligence is required on your part to wade through this very mixed bag.

Apologies to the OP, and a request to the primary, high school and college teachers in this forum to refrain from assuming all others' experience will follow yours.

I guess it depends on where you land. None of the people I know who work at universities stay around all day (many of the Thais do, though). They do their lectures, paperwork, office hours and head home. This might be different at some places...wouldn't doubt it, but most of this 8-4 stuff is teaching children.

• Like 2

Lots Of Luck!!

Someone needs to do it. Even the Text Books issued at many of the schools here are full of mistakes and the majority of the so-called English Teachers, would rather "Dance with the Devil" than have a discussion in English.

Edited by Torrens54

I worked as an English teacher here in Thailand for over four years (stopped doing it last year) and I can tell you that Bangkoken has no idea what he's talking about.

The vast majority of foreign teachers in Thailand got their job by applying directly to a school or uni. Only suckers or newbies use the services of an agency (which will keep a portion of the salary paid by the school for doing almost zilch, nada, nothing).

If your degrees are legit, you should have no problem getting 30/40k from a reputable uni for a 20hr/week workload, either in Bangkok or in CM.

You could also try contacting some of the second-tier international schools (top-tier will usually only hire holders of education-related degrees), if you do not mind teaching teens.

Absolutely correct.

University positions, don't tend to pay well. The few international programs usually pay around 30-40k for masters and 40-50k for Phd. Often less though. Teaching hours are light but usually you will have a lot of other duties. Those that just show up for class and don't make themselves available for the monotony of office meetings or editing, etc. tend to have a bad time. If you are just looking for a little extra cash with the least amount of effort, then just work part time. The other option is to apply directly to these international programs that you are an expert in and get hired for 1-2 month periods. They often fly you over, provide housing, etc.

• Like 1

There is both good an bad info in the above replies. I have been teaching English for 8 years, and I am currently the Head Teacher at a language school. Here are a couple of comments regarding language schools, government schools or private international elementary/high schools.

First, you don't need to go thru an agency and I would avoid it if possible. Some are OK, but many are rip offs. (They keep too much and give the teacher too little.) Next, I suggest you get an English teaching certificate either before you come to Thailand or as soon as you get here. CELTA is the best one to have, but TEFL is also OK. The CELTA is 120 hours as are many TEFL courses. That is better than a 60 hour course. Even if you don't plan on teaching English it is a good qualification because sometimes only English positions are available.

Next, I would order transcripts for my degrees - probably 2 or 3 per degree. Also bring your original diplomas, including CELTA/TEFL. If you job requires a work permit (all do but some schools cheat), submit your transcripts if they will accept them because you don't want them to lose your original degree or spill coffee on it. Only happens rarely, but it can happen!

Now to be honest, I haven't had good luck with teachers who have too many degrees, and especially law degrees. They tend to be aggressive and think they know law - trust me they don't know law in Thailand, especially how it really works. So I would only list my law degree on my CV if it is relevant to the teaching position.

If you teach at a government school, you may only actually teach 20 hours per week, but you normally will be expected to arrive when the school opens and stay until if closes. So don't be misled by the 20 hours platform time. In many government schools there is no air conditioning, and you'll have 40 to 60 students in a classroom. (Not my idea of fun.) Furthermore, you may be expected to go to summer school camps, attend weekend functions, etc. Without any extra pay, of course. So carefully check out conditions, hours, etc.

International/private schools usually have air con and fewer students per class, but normally expect you to be there when the school is open and attend various activities. Pay may be a bit higher. The down side is that you have to deal with affluent/rich parents who will be demanding to the point of being unreasonable. Keep in mind that Thailand is a "no fail" society, so the students progress regardless of whether they learn anything or not.

Some schools promise you a 1 year visa and a work permit, but just string you along and never deliver. They just want you to make visa runs when your current visa expires.

Government and some private schools have breaks in April and October, so they hire at those times. Private language schools like ours hire whenever they need a teacher.

Chiang Mai's cost of living is lower than BKK; however, their salaries are usually much lower. I live and work in the northern suburbs of BKK and find in pleasant.

I don't know too much about university positions, but have been told some pay well and many don't. Also, keep in mind that it is normally not possible to teach at a government university if you are over 60 as that is their retirement age. I do know of some exceptions, however. Private universities do use instructors over 60 in some cases.

Finally, note that "college" in Thailand is like a trade school in the states. So we normally say "university" if referring to an institution that grant BA/BS degrees. Well off Thais don't send their kids to college!

Very Well Said i Liked the way you described every thing Hats off to you experience makes a man perfect like how we treat our Teachers i will remember every thing you said Because i am trying the same job as i am Having an Bachelors Degree in Accounts and a Bachelors Degree in LAW i take regular classes but i di not charge i take classes for a Charity organization Taking some Legal Classes Educating Laws may be one day i might a job in Issan as my home is in Issan Good Luck

Having a PhD is a door opener for subject teaching in a Thai university particularly if one has an associated published research record.

The main problem in your case however is that your subject areas are not readily portable. What is? Business studies, Finance, Computing and Engineering would be.

• Like 1