Teaching hours at a uni

So at 3p.m. yesterday on my "day off", no classes, I saw a teacher leaving and I asked can I leave also.

I was told " No Alex, you have to be around "on call" till 4 p.m."

At 3:40 p.m. I left the office and told them "I will walk slowly to my motorcycle, call me if you have to."

Today again 4 hours straight teaching in the morning and nothing in the afternoon, Ah but yes now I know the rules and my boundaries..... Friday 2 hours in the morning and nothing the rest of the day, what a waste of time and life.

This is Thainess.

Thanks Andy. Yeah I use ajarn and Dave's for my research generally. Just hoping to land something under 20 hours a week for 30,000 B or so. I prefer to teach social work or public administration. I was offered a visiting lecturer position at a uni in BKK but unable to make the move just yet. They were offering 25,000 and an apartment (which I thought unusual for Thailand). Anyway, will wait until I get there to job search just was wondering what typical hours at unis were like. Thanks again

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I got 30.000 Baht per month at a Nakhon Sawan high school, for exactly 20 hours teaching per week, but after a full semester, myself and the other Farang teachers were replaced by Philapinos at half our salary.

Just yesterday i was talking with a lady in my village that is getting phone calls from a (us coloured) gentleman who is aking for assistance to get him a teaching job,, my friend said because of "his colour he cannot get a teaching job here because children are scared of him" (quote) and that "many Phillipinos are being employed but now are being fired because of their accent", so might be a good chance to get a job, it sems the Thais are on the ball on this issue.

Thanks Andy. Yeah I use ajarn and Dave's for my research generally. Just hoping to land something under 20 hours a week for 30,000 B or so. I prefer to teach social work or public administration. I was offered a visiting lecturer position at a uni in BKK but unable to make the move just yet. They were offering 25,000 and an apartment (which I thought unusual for Thailand). Anyway, will wait until I get there to job search just was wondering what typical hours at unis were like. Thanks again

I got 30.000 Baht per month at a Nakhon Sawan high school, for exactly 20 hours teaching per week, but after a full semester, myself and the other Farang teachers were replaced by Philapinos at half our salary.

Just yesterday i was talking with a lady in my village that is getting phone calls from a (us coloured) gentleman who is aking for assistance to get him a teaching job,, my friend said because of "his colour he cannot get a teaching job here because children are scared of him" (quote) and that "many Phillipinos are being employed but now are being fired because of their accent", so might be a good chance to get a job, it sems the Thais are on the ball on this issue.

I don't know about the black teachers as I have never worked with them, but I have to say that having worked with Philipinos, they are easily understood, in fact I would go as far as saying they are almost as good as English native speakers, and I cannot see anything wrong with their accent.

Having a PhD is a door opener for subject teaching in a Thai university particularly if one has an associated published research record.

The main problem in your case however is that your subject areas are not readily portable. What is? Business studies, Finance, Computing and Engineering would be.

A J.D. is not a research doctorate i.e. Ph.D.

Correct, a JD is a professional doctorate not an academic doctorate. Regardless, I am not interested in teaching law anyway. My interest would be teaching in one of three fields; public administration, social work or human resources. I hold master degrees and have extensive experience in all three fields.

I also have experience in career development both in career counseling and managing a career center. I would love an opportunity to work in career development or placement in Thailand. I was offered a position to manage the career center for RMIT in Saigon a couple of years ago. It was an excellent opportunity (western salary) but I had to decline due to my father's poor health in the United States.

Again, I am not looking to get rich or seeking tenure. I have had what I consider to be my career already. I am interested in a position teaching 15 to 20 hours a week with a salary minimum of 30,000 Bahts. I am just wondering if this is a realistic expectation?

Thank so much for the feedback everyone!

Edited by timtscott

Correct, a JD is a professional doctorate not an academic doctorate. Regardless, I am not interested in teaching law anyway. My interest would be teaching in one of three fields; public administration, social work or human resources. I hold master degrees and have extensive experience in all three fields. I also have experience in career development both in career counseling and managing a career center. I would love an opportunity to work in career development or placement in Thailand. I was offered a position to manage the career center for RMIT in Saigon a couple of years ago. It was an excellent opportunity (western salary) but I had to decline due to my father's poor health in the United States. Again, I am not looking to get rich or seeking tenure. I have had what I consider to be my career already. I am interested in a position teaching 15 to 20 hours a week with a salary minimum of 30,000 Bahts. I am just wondering if this is a realistic expectation? Thank so much for the feedback everyone!Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

It's realistic. Might I suggest the International Program in a business or accounting faculty of a major university?

• Like 1

Why do Thai Schools claim 40K P.M from the State yet only and pay only 30K to Ferang Teachers.?.

Because bait-and-switch laws here are non-existent or are not enforced. It's happened to me a hundred times (or more) in many areas of commerce here. Furthermore, rather than paint Thailand uniquely black, it's just an Asian thing. The customer or employee has to think a lot more about "caveat emptor" in Asia, than in the west where there are enforced laws against consumer fraud and/or misrepresentation by an employer to prospective employees.

Edited by Fookhaht
  • Like 1