The wide wonderful world of American sandwiches ...

Jingthing

Lazy bastards, go to the market, anywhere in America or go to Costco, buy the makings & make the best sandwich which any restaurant can produce, yourself.

REAL roasted Turkey (a mystery to Thailand), mayo, pepper, (lots of) dried cranberries, fresh hummus, lettuce, tomato & REAL sourdough bread.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lazy bastards, go to the market, anywhere in America or go to Costco, buy the makings & make the best sandwich which any restaurant can produce, yourself.

REAL roasted Turkey (a mystery to Thailand), mayo, pepper, (lots of) dried cranberries, fresh hummus, lettuce, tomato & REAL sourdough bread.

You can get a pretty good quality smoked turkey at the Foodland delis. I load up every third week or so.

You can get a pretty good quality smoked turkey at the Foodland delis. I load up every third week or so.

Where? In BK & what Soi?

In no particular order:

1. Dark meat turkey on white with stuffing, cranberry sauce, and Miracle Whip

2. Meatloaf on white with sliced red onion, Heinz ketchup, and Miracle Whip

3. Milano salami, thinly sliced red onion, fresh basil, virgin olive oil, and balsamic vinegar

4. Italian meatball on a baguette with plenty of sauce and sliced kalmata olives

5. Cold Greek-stye leg of lamb, fresh rosemary, olive oil, and lemon on a baguette

6. North Carolina pulled pork with coleslaw and vinegar sauce on a soft white bun

7. Swedish meatballs on light rye with swedish sauce and cranberry sauce

8. Skippy peanut butter, oregon blackberry preserves, and Miracle Whip

9. Chunk light tuna, capers, sweet pickles, kalmata olives, and Miracle Whip on soft white bread.

10. Thinly sliced Spanish black ham, artichoke hearts, olive oil, and balsamic on a baguette

11. Cold katsudon on a baguette with tonkatsu sauce and Miracle Whip.

12. A classic Reuben on white (not rye).

I have all of these here in Thailand on a somewhat regular basis except for the reuben.

http://www.foodandwine.com/slideshows/best-sandwiches-in-the-us

http://www.travelchannel.com/tv-shows/adam-richmans-best-sandwich-in-america

http://www.rachaelraymag.com/fun-how-to/food-travel/25-regional-sandwiches/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/larryolmsted/2012/08/09/50-best-sandwiches-in-the-u-s-one-from-every-state/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/food-wine/best-sandwiches_b_1878286.html

Odd ones/favs:

Muffaletta: NOLA

Goetta: Cincinnati

Roast Pork/Broccoli Rabe: DiNics-Phila/Reading Market

Chaps Pit Beef: Baltimore

Al's Italian Beef: Chicago

Kelly's Roast Beef: Boston (Reveah)

I go back every ~ 60 days so always indulge. I'm partial to pulled pork, roast beef, meatball/sausage parm, italian (grinder).

What can be used in place of the broccoli rabe here in Thailand? Any suggestions?

I've heard that sandwich gives the Philly cheesesteak a run for its money by locals.

What is rabe?

broccoli rabe ("rabe"is pronounced like "rob" this is probably the Sicilian version of its name) is also known as rapini. It kind of looks like broccoli with lots of leaves and much smaller flowerlets. Generally it's mildly bitter.Most people agree that the best tasting brand in America is Andy Boy Broccoli. I haven't really found a good substitute for it here. Best plan might be to use broccoli and mix in a bit of some local bitter green. Makes a great sandwich by itself when sauteed with olive oil and garlic. Great also with sausage. Very frequently eaten with fusilli pasta. I like it better on a ciabatta or some other kind of italian bread because it captures all the juices. It grows best when the weather is still chilly - early spring and autumn. Somehow, Andy Boy manages to produce it all year round.

There is some species of broccoli like vegetable grown in thailand with lots of leaves and small flowerets that does resemble in appearance broccoli rabe. But it lacks the bitterness that makes broccoli rabe special.

Edited by quidnunc

The classic "Elvis" sandwich - Originally on Wonder bread (but bread is something easily changed), peanut butter & jelly with sliced bananas & crumpled up "Lays" potato chips (the American brand of course). A modern alteration would be to Nuke it for about 5-10 seconds on High.

Ok. Now I am in trouble.

A friend took me to Dean and Deluca, beneath the Chong Nong Si SkyTrain station.

Holy shit they have some good chow in there.

I had a salt beef sandwich. Took me three days to eat it. I ate as much as I could on-site, then had them wrap it up for takeaway. I ate it again for the next two days. They give you that much meat.

We split some kind of Spanish sandwich. It had an egg in it. I do not remember what it was, precisely, and I am generally not a fan of eggs in a sandwich, but it was like a party in my mouth. It was outstanding.

My wife got the Cobb Salad. It was ok. Nothing wrong with it, but perhaps a bit lean on the avocado. Maybe I am conditioned to expect too much from D&D.

My pal got lobster Mac & Cheese. He says that it was awesome. I got meatloaf to take home. I ate it later. It was pretty good. Awesome mashed potatoes.

I am going back soon. They have monster meatballs, and brick-sized slabs of lasagna, and so many meats that I cannot imagine the varieties of sandwiches that can result.

The large salt beef sandwich was like 350 baht. It was totally worth it. Excellent strawberry shake. Here is a pic.

post-90074-13969860810362_thumb.jpg

Where? In BK & what Soi?

Foodlands are all over Bangkok. Just google for the one nearest you. The two I go to are the one near Central Pinklao and the new one on Phutthamonthon Sai 4--where the protests were last week.

• 3 weeks later...

some junkie lowlifes that I knew in Pasadena useta eat sandwiches when they had an appetite...

and sandwich fixin's were expensive and I wondered how they could spare the change when they were scamblin' for drugs all the time...

I made a lentil stew that cost a fraction of one of the sandwiches and with a loaf of sourdough we tucked in...(lentils, carrots, celery, potatoes and lots of onions and garlic)

but then, one of the crew said: 'what's with this stew business? are you puttin' us down with your absurd culinary display???'

I didn't say nuthin' but the implication was: 'you dumb junkies don't know much about good eatin'...I could get two dime bags fer what you pay fer a stupid sandwich...'

I wasn't popular no more and I soon moved to Berkeley and got clean...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

yahs...and there has to be the story....

in Cochabamba there is the river Rocha that divides the town from Cala-Cala to the north (a hateful football rivalry sorta like Celtic and Rangers in Glasgow),...and there you will find indigenous ladies on the bridge with fresh bread and charcoal braziers late at night when the bars close and the usual assortment of drunks...

and they have a selection of putrid meat to cook on the braziers and there are the drunks hookin' down the resultant sandwiches like no tomorrow (if you look closely you shall find a tutsi lookalike in the crowd)...

and there are a lot of people passed out and vomiting but the cholitas count the money and stuff the bills into their polleras smiling and oblivious (oblivious in Bolivia?)

but, damn...them sarnies tasted goood...

(then later with an instructor at school: 'Mr tutsiwarrior, students at this institution have no business eating sandwiches at the Cala-Cala bridge at 2 in the morning...yer only 16 years old <deleted>!...'...'oh, yeah? go tell that to my 21 y.o. girl friend who I know that you'd like to mess around with!'... tutsi had an attitude problem and was soon repatriated back to Pasadena...)

Edited by tutsiwarrior

hmmm...'oblivious in Bolivia'...Bolivious?

with no disrespect to Evo and the rest of my pals in that part of the world...(hey! what about ol' Gabo? they ain't got no decent sandwiches in Mexico City...scrambled egg taco inna flour tortilla?)

ymanallan kasanqui, folks...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

hey...I know that I musta told my Istanbul 'Cicek Pasaji' story here on the forum before... but here goes again...(and then someone shouts: ' shaddap, will ye?!!!)

tutsi is in Istanbul and wandering about in awe of the the vibrant atmosphere (and this was before I had read any Orhan Pamuk) and 'round about 2 in the morning there were a bunch of drunks gathered around a food stall on the european side...

bein' drunk meself I went over to see what the fuss was about...the place was open for business with lights blazin' but no one was attending the counter...

and then there was a rumble from behind and then chefs with fierce moustaches emerged with skewers of big fat Bosphorus mussels and fresh loaves of bread and then there was an uproar..the drunks were heaving and yellin' and holding up two and three fingers to catch their attention...I quickly deduced that the number of fingers represented the number of skewers that folks wanted on their bread...

and then I got mine, slathered with a garlicky yogurt sauce that was out of this world...

sittin' on the kerb side wolfin' fresh mussel sarnies...just another night out in the cradle of Byzantium...

Edited by tutsiwarrior