Drivers license test?

molofzzon

My wife has a car licence but wanted a bike licence too.

She failed twice

Fist time the question of which battery lead do you connect first, wife answer = husband do it for me

Second time the question was how often do you change the oil w00t.gif Do Thais's ever do it

I went for my licence a few years ago in Cha Am, much to my delight the woman behind the counter was having a heart attack, seems my licence was in English whistling.gif

I asked did she prefer Japanesse or Russian got it in 5 minutes

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How long before or after the expiry date can you renew a five year licence? And do you really need a medical certifcate? I have never been asked for one before. In Chiang Mai.

Sort of like Immigration, every office has different rules I guess, but I know what they are in BKK.

My annual drivers license 'test' is one of the highlights of my year. There's no money that could pay for that much entertainment watching Thai's trying to pass this ridiculously east 'test'

Hi Ginboy,

You do know that you do not have to take the test annualy.

After the first year licence runs out you will then be issued with a 5 year licence.

not all are given a 5 year extension.

My annual drivers license 'test' is one of the highlights of my year. There's no money that could pay for that much entertainment watching Thai's trying to pass this ridiculously east 'test'

Hi Ginboy,

You do know that you do not have to take the test annualy.

After the first year licence runs out you will then be issued with a 5 year licence.

Correct. First time I had to sit a test in CNX to ensure I'm not Colour Blind, a guess test on distances and a reflex test. All quite a laugh...but DON'T Laugh, just SMILE a LOT!

I got my Car Driver's License for 1 year.

We then went overseas for a few years where my wife passed a strict Written Test in English and got full marks, first time. She then did a Practical ON-The-Road Exam with a cop at her side and she got through that with top marks the very first time. Only to be expected as she started driving a car here at the age of 16 or so and managed to survive unscathed.(Shall I just say, she is now a tad over the age of 50.)

Fast-forward (but don't speed) and we come back to Thailand where I front up with my Aussie MDL and my now, expired Thai license. They gave me another "Colour Blindness" test, took my new photograph, a bit of money and issued me with a New Thai License which is good for 5 years.

No complaints!!!

The locals also probably enjoy the entertainment you provide. They get to watch the only farang in country who takes the test every year.

Edited by marell

When I got my Thai licences for car and motorcycle, they weren't interested in my UK licence, only my International Driving Permit. Because I had this, I was only asked to do the colour test. After 1 year, 5 year licence issued.

When I got my Thai licences for car and motorcycle, they weren't interested in my UK licence, only my International Driving Permit. Because I had this, I was only asked to do the colour test. After 1 year, 5 year licence issued.

There you go, the opposite to me in BKK!

How long before or after the expiry date can you renew a five year licence? And do you really need a medical certifcate? I have never been asked for one before. In Chiang Mai.

Sort of like Immigration, every office has different rules I guess, but I know what they are in BKK.

Thanks, but I guess the rules of when you can/must renew the license is the same. What are the rules about that in BKK?.

Or, if anyone know, in CM?

Thanks, but I guess the rules of when you can/must renew the license is the same. What are the rules about that in BKK?.

Officially in BKK it's the first day after expiry but I see posts on TV of folks getting them before expiry. Just go and try I guess if you have the need, or time to waste.

Edit: Should add I don't think it matters how much later you go for renewal

Edited by Bpuumike

The rule is don't come early for renewal. When it's a one year license, come one week after it's expired. Bring some proof of residence, work permit, tabien baan, letter from immigration or embassy, they should issue a "permanent" license, valid for 5 years + your birthday. If you have only a tourist visa they may give you another temporary license (green one) for a year.

• Like 1

is there a form for the resident / rental paper that you are "living" in Thailand

if not what do I need to have on it other than the land owner saying he is renting me a room ?

I get mine from the British Embassy but it costs both in time and money.

I understand from other posters you can get one from Immigration but have not pursued that.

Sadly it's not a laughing matter though, no matter how amusing, as it's letting people who cannot really drive onto the roads with a bit of plastic saying they can. I can't understand why there is no political interest in saving lives by bringing in a real test system. The present test is so ineffective they might as well scrap it and just sell the licenses, which in some cases of course is what happens when the 'driver' is so incompetent they cannot even pass this joke test.

The rule is don't come early for renewal. When it's a one year license, come one week after it's expired. Bring some proof of residence, work permit, tabien baan, letter from immigration or embassy, they should issue a "permanent" license, valid for 5 years + your birthday. If you have only a tourist visa they may give you another temporary license (green one) for a year.

As for me, I went there before the expiry of my temporary 1 year license and got through fine. I think the law allows renewing before expiration.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Sadly it's not a laughing matter though, no matter how amusing, as it's letting people who cannot really drive onto the roads with a bit of plastic saying they can. I can't understand why there is no political interest in saving lives by bringing in a real test system. The present test is so ineffective they might as well scrap it and just sell the licenses, which in some cases of course is what happens when the 'driver' is so incompetent they cannot even pass this joke test.

Sad but true, and that's sober.

Officially in BKK it's the first day after expiry but I see posts on TV of folks getting them before expiry. Just go and try I guess if you have the need, or time to waste.

Should have added that if you are driving without a current licence then your insurance is probably invalid.

Should have added that if you are driving without a current licence then your insurance is probably invalid.

Nooooooooooooooooo !!! The vehicle is insured not the driver / rider.

That's why I ask if someone does know how early before it expires I can renew it. A 5 year license.

Like said on many threads on this subject the best way to go is to pop into your local DLT and ask them what is required and when you can do it, also better if you take a Thai friend or partner with you. smile.png

are the lines like California DMV ?

Do I need to pack a lunch ?

and is it better to go morning or afternoon ?

Thanks

In BKK the colour/reaction tests start at 10:00am but it's a good idea to get there 09:00 so you get a lower number in the queue.

You can go eat Tesco Lotus or wherever when you're finished.

Found this link for the Thai license written test. http://apps.dlt.go.th/driving_hp/ELearnning/E-Learning2.swf

Most of the questions are not complete, because the setence does not fit in the line allocated in the flash application. I seriously hope in real life it looks different.

Worked fine on my PC, could see all Q no problems. I got 24 out of 30 without watching the vids or reading the help stuff. Anyone know the pass mark? Be embarrassing if I failed, been driving for about 30 years.

24 out of 30 is a fail.

That's why I ask if someone does know how early before it expires I can renew it. A 5 year license.

I just did that one. You can renew within 30 days of expiration. Also you have 30 days after expiration to renew if that happens too.

Found this link for the Thai license written test. http://apps.dlt.go.th/driving_hp/ELearnning/E-Learning2.swf

Most of the questions are not complete, because the setence does not fit in the line allocated in the flash application. I seriously hope in real life it looks different.

Worked fine on my PC, could see all Q no problems. I got 24 out of 30 without watching the vids or reading the help stuff. Anyone know the pass mark? Be embarrassing if I failed, been driving for about 30 years.

24 out of 30 is a fail.

Don't know where you got your info, but I am told that 23 out of 30 is a pass. 22 out of 30 is a fail.