30 baht ferry to Koh Larn

papa al

As I was unable to go Saturday, I took an 0700 ferry to Ko Lan this AM.
Many new PFDs (life vests) with little plastic whistles attached were in evidence on the boat, and it looked like the other tubs had them too.
On the return trip I even saw a crew member come by and ask people to don them.
Almost everyone did.

Edited by metisdead
Font reset to default forum font. Use Arial size 14, black when posting.
  • Like 1

So these life vests were sitting in a cupboard some-place nearby???

No sir. They were buckled around all the seat backs and side rails.

Edited by metisdead
Font reset to default forum font. Use Arial size 14, black when posting.

I wonder how long that will be the case?

Not terribly long I would think. Just long enough to convince people something is being done. I went to Lombok by ferry from Bali in 1997, there were 4 lifeboats, none of them in an appropriate position for an emergency. I read about a later tragedy on the Lombok ferry and I'm sure safety precautions there and in other parts of south-east asia were ramped up for a while but after a period it was back to business as usual.

I often reflect how vision requires the ability to consider the future, and the impact your current decisions could have on the future, in terms of safety, well being, comfort, convenience, customer attitudes, etc. In Thailand few seem to be able to consider the future, and the impact their current decisions (or lack thereof) could have on their future. In a way it is admirable how present the Thai people are. But, in business the inability to even consider the future is a liability. Especially when it comes to safety. So, now after this horrible accident, they are forced to do something, like carry life jackets, when nearly every country in the world requires them, and most countries levy a penalty for not complying. Now there is talk about requiring seat belts in the buses, after the recent spate of bus accidents. But, one must wonder why has this not been considered to date? Why would you not have seat belts to begin with? Why the aversion to planning. Why the complete disregard to safety? Why the complete lack of enforcement? Is it apathy? Is it a lack of concern? It is purely a lack of vision? What is going on here?

• Like 2

I often reflect how vision requires the ability to consider the future, and the impact your current decisions could have on the future, in terms of safety, well being, comfort, convenience, customer attitudes, etc. In Thailand few seem to be able to consider the future, and the impact their current decisions (or lack thereof) could have on their future. In a way it is admirable how present the Thai people are. But, in business the inability to even consider the future is a liability. Especially when it comes to safety. So, now after this horrible accident, they are forced to do something, like carry life jackets, when nearly every country in the world requires them, and most countries levy a penalty for not complying. Now there is talk about requiring seat belts in the buses, after the recent spate of bus accidents. But, one must wonder why has this not been considered to date? Why would you not have seat belts to begin with? Why the aversion to planning. Why the complete disregard to safety? Why the complete lack of enforcement? Is it apathy? Is it a lack of concern? It is purely a lack of vision? What is going on here?

I liked this response very much, with some searching questions that concern much of the strangeness that affects all our daily lives here in Thailand.

however, the answer is simple - Thailand is a developing country - it simply hasn't had enough accidents involving significant loss of life for there to be the political pressure here to create and enforce the many regulations you mentioned in your comment.

For example - seat belts - go back in time just 50 years and most leading western countries had similar lack of regulations; neither the United Kingdom, USA, Canada, or Australia required seat belts at this time.

However, life jackets - well that's another matter, and kind of a 'no brainer' requiring no explanation that when boats sink, the folks that can't swim are going to drown. The US Congress passed an act requiring the provision of Life Jackets in 1852 - more than 150 years ago. However, read my paragraph #2 once again, and the answer is there - its not seen important enough to create and enforce the regulations here yet.

All governments world wide tend to work retrospectively with 20/20 hindsight creating & enforcing regulations after massive accidents in their own countries. It was like that in the west, and it should be no shock to expect the same in the East.wai.gif.pagespeed.ce.ptXUXgG4cA.gif