What would you do?

CharlieH

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

depends how old he is, does he have a pension?

I dont know specifically but I would say around 60, no company pension, would get state pension later.

No formal education or degree etc so teaching is out.

Edited by CharlieH

depends how old he is, does he have a pension?

I dont know specifically but I would say around 60, no company pension, would get state pension later.

No formal education or degree etc so teaching is out.

plenty of guys are teaching without credentials. he could rent in isaan pretty cheaply. some others here might have advice how he might get SOME equity out of the house, perhaps enough to front a non-o retirement thing. and of course he could go back to where he came from.

Edited by AYJAYDEE
  • Like 1

Friend of mine was in a similar situation, no way to stay here, no assets here or back home (UK). But he did the only thing he could which was to go back to the and let the government look after him. At 60 in the UK you get pension credit, a room/flat and help with bills and the NHS. A shock to the system maybe but better than being here with absolutely nothing that's for sure.

Thanks for this, it was kind of where I got to with it , and its good to see a support for that option.

Thats what we need, a duscussion of options, that he can ultimately make the choice.

How big problems is the relationship in?

How big economical trouble is he in?

Not unheard of that a divorced man must leave the house to his x-wife, back home in the West, and even continue to pay for the house/alimony.

At least the continuous payments will not be a big problem here if one breaks up.

Surely a 60 year old has enough life experience to make financial decisions.

He must be very pragmatic here.

• Like 1

WOW!....tough one.

First thing he needs to do is cut back on his monthly expenses...Ie...no air condition, simpler meals (and if possible grow his own), Get down to the basic's before its too late.

Second....Start selling stuff NOW! Downsize from a car to motorbike (or public transport better), Have yard sales (get rid of all the crap that has been collected), Put the house up for sale at a reasonable price .....NOW! ...

Problem is if he keeps thinking about it (thinking and not doing is what got him into this situation NOW....it didn't just happen overnight...he should've been doing the above when the signs first started showing long before.....oh well ....)

He's in it now ....and needs to ACT NOW

Not sure what else he CAN do ...so ...can only hope the best for him.....Sad to hear...but seems like a common story here in Thailand

• Like 2

Quite a few dumbass responses from the smug tossers who think it could never happen to them.

Although it's unlikely that one's pension will vanish, wasn't it just a few months ago that declining exchange rate threads ran to 20+ pages? How many of us know folks who've had to bail out of Thailand because of weaknesses in their home currency?

Personally, i wouldn't want to chance working illegally but if he's up for it, he could get a teaching job somewhere . . . if he can be bothered doing that to remain in a country he no longer likes so much anyway.

He could sell the house at a knock-down price and use the proceeds to teach himself a way to make dosh online or something

Failing that, he'd do well to start working on his attitude toward returning home . . . right now

• Like 2

Difficult call.

First question would be his age? "too old to get a job"

Second ... what awaits him back in his home country, supporting relatives, government support etc?

Yep, read that "cant "go home" as no one there anyway now" ... but there is the support of his fellow country men etc ...

I read that he is ... "all in" financially in Thailand ... but he must have some savings ... a little bit?

"relationship fading" ... needs a little expansion. Time line till inevitable death (of the relationship).

Is there a pension?

What visible means of support does he have?

It's easy to be a keyboard warrior ... dishing out advice here and there. But facts dictate the viable options.

All I know that, being in Thailand, without any visible means of support, fiscally and emotionally, is a slow painful death.

Maybe young Charles can infill a few blanks ...

Here is your answer ...I would do this also.

* sigh * ... facepalm.gif

Before anyone else wastes their time looking that that link.

The opening lines are ...

"A man from Las Vegas in the US has decided to sell off one his testicles so he can earn almost $37,000.

Mark Parisi is a self-confessed "cheap skate" who regularly earns extra dollars by renting out his body to scientists for medical testing.

He says the scheme has saved him nearly $160,000 over two years and he is currently involved in an Ebola virus trial that pays $5,245 a week."

• Like 2

I just looked up if there is an English counterpart to my favourite German saying, and yes there is:

It's better to make a painful break than draw out the agony.....

What are the reasons for staying in Thailand when there is no secure income or job, no more family or friends to rely on, no healthcare, visa problems, possible arguments with ex wife/family.....there are only some good memories left and that´s maybe all, nothing worth to fight for in this case IMHO. Starting over back home might seem hard too, but at least there is no need to worry for basic things and after a while life might go back to normal. That´s less likely to happen in Thailand.

• Like 2

I should would reiterate also that home ties should NEVER be severed under any circumstances/

Moving and living in another country can always be precarious, however enticing it might seem at the time, but even though I work full-time

in Anti-aging Medicine (AAM), the only certain thing about life, is that one day we will die! How and when we do is what matters! I would advise your friend to move back to the safety net of his home country. It seems that his Thai dream has passed its sell-by date ! A story which is alas, all too common!

• Like 1

Never burn your bridges with your country of birth.

Never buy property in Thailand when renting is usually a much cheaper option.

Never put your life savings into any Thai business.

Never continue to fund a failing Thai business.

Never put your health in last place on the important list.

Never believe that your li'l Thai darling will always be YOUR li'l Thai darling.

Never disregard your common sense instincts.

....and most importantly, when the <deleted> hits the fan....

Never try to end your life by jumping off a tall building.

Sound advice

Find a new life in a new country !

I should would reiterate also that home ties should NEVER be severed under any circumstances/

Moving and living in another country can always be precarious, however enticing it might seem at the time, but even though I work full-time

in Anti-aging Medicine (AAM), the only certain thing about life, is that one day we will die! How and when we do is what matters! I would advise your friend to move back to the safety net of his home country. It seems that his Thai dream has passed its sell-by date ! A story which is alas, all too common!

Anti aging medicine lol ...how does that work ? Go'ed give me a Eureka moment !!!

This advice does not apply to the unfortunate person who finds themselves in this situation, I have seen it countless times since I have been associated with Thaialnd, which is thirty years now.

Advice, to anyone setting up a business or looking at acquiring assets. Get it right from the start!! Do not put assets in the name of girfriend or wife. Set up a a company with A shares and B shares. The Thai owns the A shares and the Farang owns the B shares. The B shares have nearly all the voting rights and dividend rights. The A shares have nothing, but on paper own the majority stake in the business thereby making the structure legally compliant. Simples as the Meerkats would say!! For those farangs owning property, put it in the name of a company too. Also write yourself a lease to yourself from the company for a term of 30yrs+30 yrs+30 yrs. And Register it with the land dept. This gives an extra layer of protection. All perfecitly legal.

Beauty is skin deep, your assets have to be protected to last (both) of you a lifetime. Get it right from the beginning and avoid the porblems later down the line!!!!

Ah...your experience is legendary grasshopper....30 + 30 + 30....wise words, I presume you have done this...and registered it right ?