I tried getting fiber optic, not possible... alternative for decent EU ping?

RussellBKK

Hi guys,

as the tile say, in the last month i tried get fiber optic in my condo in suk 42, sadly is possible have it but i have to pay 10-15k for cable and ceeling work plus the 1500 monthly fee.... too much for an apartment im renting and i will not live for more then a couple of years.

So i was wondering, wich alternative i have focusing on the Europe ping?

In my own country i remember normal DSL could be setted fasthpath or interleaved, payng an extra you could get fasthpath and get better latency, but looking trough the different DSL option in thai this kind of technical stuff is never even mantioned.

Anyone have suggestion, alternative or tips about it?

Im really sick of 450 EU ping with my pathethic CAT 2MB DSL :D

Hope you can help.

Erik

Im really sick of 450 EU ping with my pathethic CAT 2MB DSL

I'm sure CAT will tell you there is nothing they can do because of continental shift...the EU is moving away from Thailand (or is it vice versa). tongue.png

I'm on a True DOCSIS (cable) 15Mb/1.5Mb plan here in Bangkok, just did a ping to Frankfurt, got 216ms. Good luck in your search.

• Like 1

I'm sure CAT will tell you there is nothing they can do because of continental shift...the EU is moving away from Thailand (or is it vice versa). tongue.png

I'm on a True DOCSIS (cable) 15Mb/1.5Mb plan here in Bangkok, just did a ping to Frankfurt, got 216ms. Good luck in your search.

Wrong, if you call cat at the moment they will tell you that they are having some underwater cable trouble which they will be resolved by mid November and for international bandwidth cat is the only company in Thailand that can guarantee you international bandwidth on premium lines. Cat holds the largest bandwidth to the outside world.

Ping to Frankfurt of 216 ms is close to what is physically possible I guess, due to the fact that almost all Thailand IP traffic goes through the "Asian American Gateway" to California and from there via continental US through other cables to Europe.

(so travelling the "wrong way" eastward)

I just did a traceroute to Germany and it is consistent with this assumption (Guam, Hawaii [snowden place], L.A., Washington, Paris ,,,).

A good site showing the very dependency of Thailand on just one broadband cable!

http://www.cablemap.info/

Edited by KhunBENQ

More maps...September/October updates.

My tracert to EUR goes via Singapore and the UK, then into EUR, often Amsterdam.

http://internet.nectec.or.th/webstats/show_page.php?py0HA8wH8+a7AIaRsDo/prnHnBJzfoE5torm+SGClYjP7YfJiHzH8ZAJLa1Rp64zSV+tUkJl0q7BGX4ZxeNjNj+tNlo2YQV55yOiL/YLpErxVAw+Yvas08+xXVWNJBs1

http://www.cat.net.th/map/internetmap.html

Some customers are still waiting to hear from CAT that their issues are resolved. Were supposed to hear today (7 Nov), but nothing so far.

We are cutting over one customer to CAT OnNet (FTTx) 30/5 currently. Awaiting some reports on experiences. Not expecting much.

post-9615-0-06347400-1383822085_thumb.jp

Edited by lomatopo

Wrong, if you call cat at the moment they will tell you that they are having some underwater cable trouble which they will be resolved by mid November and for international bandwidth cat is the only company in Thailand that can guarantee you international bandwidth on premium lines. Cat holds the largest bandwidth to the outside world.

Did they associate a year with that mid November date? I can't count the times the reason for slow international bandwidth is some fiber optic cable problem somewhere....those fiber optic cables sure break a lot. Instead of just holding the international bandwidth for premium customers who are willing to pay 3 to 10 times they ought to use more of it for us folks on standard, consumer lines...but hey, they are a business. Plus, opening up the international bandwidth throttle might reduce the amount of moaning, groaning, and whining us farangs do regarding slow international speeds. Doesn't appear to be any shortage of international bandwidth into and out of Thailand even with a couple fiber optics lines always broke; only a reluctance of Thai ISPs to buy enough.

Ping to Frankfurt of 216 ms is close to what is physically possible I guess, due to the fact that almost all Thailand IP traffic goes through the "Asian American Gateway" to California and from there via continental US through other cables to Europe.

(so travelling the "wrong way" eastward)

I just did a traceroute to Germany and it is consistent with this assumption (Guam, Hawaii [snowden place], L.A., Washington, Paris ,,,).

A good site showing the very dependency of Thailand on just one broadband cable!

http://www.cablemap.info/

There are lines going west from Thailand to Europe also...but sometimes it sure seems they route connections through the U.S. first...probably depends on which route is cheapest for an ISP.

Well your True DOCSIS (cable) is a good start point i guess, thanks for the feedback,

If anyone have any other cable/dsl EU ping feedback to share are more then welcome.

Just as more FYI, I did a ping at 7:20am today to www.bbc.co.uk and got a ping time of 287ms. I did a tracert and didn't see anything/server names to indicate it was going through the U.S....it appeared to be routed to Singapore and then to the U.K., so I expect the connection went west to EU versus through the U.S. first. If you have TrueVisions cable service to your area/residence it "may" also be DOCSIS-equipped but you'll have to contact True to find out (or maybe a neighbor has it). I've had DOCSIS service since June 11 here in western Bangkok and been happy with it. I'm on the 15Mb/1.5Mb plan at Bt699/mo and it has like a 99.99% uptime...your results may vary. I get around 2 to 6Mb international speed (depends on location/time of day) when using a speedtester that is not easily fooled like Speedtest.net....sometimes it seems Speedtest.net can be fooled so, so easily by local cache servers....Speedtest.net does give accurate results sometimes and is fine for local testing but many times it won't give accurate results when testing to international web sites...gives you faster than light ping times to the U.S./EU (like 13ms...same ping time I get if testing to a Bangkok server) and download speeds like that far off server is right here in Bangkok (and that local cache server is).

• Like 1

Its more unpredictable than ever.

Below are excerpts from tracert. I have a cheap ToT DSL in upcountry.

Yes, tracert to bbc.co.uk seems to go through Singapur, Paris, London

7 79 ms 100 ms 75 ms po-0-4-0-0.sg-pop.totiig.net [180.180.255.150]
8 294 ms 304 ms 266 ms snge-b2-link.telia.net [213.248.82.141]
9 357 ms 350 ms 435 ms prs-bb2-link.telia.net [80.91.247.54]
10 330 ms 332 ms 318 ms ldn-bb2-link.telia.net [80.91.247.241]

But a typical German adress (web.de) goes this way:

8 131 ms 138 ms 123 ms po-0-0-0-0.hk-pop.totiig.net [180.180.255.162]
9 734 ms 494 ms 494 ms so-7-0-2.edge1.LosAngeles1.Level3.net [4.71.132.77]
10 540 ms 496 ms 493 ms vlan90.csw4.LosAngeles1.Level3.net [4.69.144.254]
11 758 ms 397 ms 396 ms ae-93-93.ebr3.LosAngeles1.Level3.net [4.69.137.45]
12 429 ms 432 ms 415 ms ae-12-12.ebr3.LosAngeles1.Level3.net [4.69.132.82]
13 428 ms 397 ms 397 ms ae-61-61.csw1.Washington1.Level3.net [4.69.134.130]
14 415 ms 400 ms 394 ms ae-62-62.ebr2.Washington1.Level3.net [4.69.134.145]
15 396 ms 399 ms 420 ms ae-43-43.ebr2.Paris1.Level3.net [4.69.137.57]

de-cix.net: also through USA and then UK, but completely different routers/providers.

Edited by KhunBENQ

I had fibre optic install about 3 weeks ago, TOT, the first week it was great very fast,

and as per usual has gone down hill since then and is now no faster than the cable

i used before, in fact its worse,as now when i am streaming anything,say a movie

it stops about half way through, as though buffering, but does not restart again

i have to do it manually, so you not getting Fibre will not be a big loss if what i

ended up with is anything to go by.

regards Worgeordie

As mentioned numerous times here, standard consumer grade fiber packages are no different than their adsl and cable counter parts. Fiber is only from your house to the node then all the connections incoming/outgoing from the node are same no matter what fiber,DSL or cable you are on. Fiber connections go through the same international pipeline as any other connection. Now there is a difference if you get business grade packages that gives you reserved bandwidth all times and often has better/shorter routing than their average consumer grade plans.

Edited by shariq607