So how did your family take it...

krisb

Mixed - Youngest son (18 at the time) thought I was doing the right thing and enjoying my golden years - Jeez I was only 49. He's since spent a year here with me and was/is supportive of me and my lifestyle. I had to lever him into the taxi to Swampy.

Oldest boy, then 25, was a bit confused. He's been here for a 3 week holiday and I was surprised at what a prude he'd become. He's not exactly over the moon about me being here but it's up to him. No rift or anything, he just couldn't adapt and comprehend many things, probably because he didn't try or want to try.

Daughter, then 23, was supportive and is still that way. She's coming here at Christmas so will see what happens.

As to the rest of my friends and colleagues, don't really care what they think. Anybody who gets vocal gets ignored and crossed of my Christmas card list, most vary between envious and confused.......most being envious.

What about you OP, you've asked the question but haven't given any detail. smile.png

Mixed. ex wife swung bipolar style between hissing and fulminating and wicked witch laughter, hope you get AIDS.

Son still en garde and mixed love hate how could you do this Daddy? Rest of family from murderous rage to slap on the back, good on you wish I had guts to do same. Does any of it matter? Yes unfortunately, because I swing between guilt and heavenly bliss when I think on it. Raw nerve OP.

• Like 2

My decision ,,,what others think didn't matter,

but they are happy to see I am happy.....

You have got it right Krisb...don't think about others. BUT....I bet your happy with the latest addition, changing those nappies...biggrin.png

Mixed. ex wife swung bipolar style between hissing and fulminating and wicked witch laughter, hope you get AIDS.

Son still en garde and mixed love hate how could you do this Daddy? Rest of family from murderous rage to slap on the back, good on you wish I had guts to do same. Does any of it matter? Yes unfortunately, because I swing between guilt and heavenly bliss when I think on it. Raw nerve OP.

Sorry if it touched on it Dr. I find all the f/t guys I have met, this story has risen and has it's place at the table. I do so in a sincere manner, and find the discussion very interesting from my side, which will be with all intent to be also living there in the near future.

Did a semester abroad here in 2005 and they were not surprised that I moved back in 2006. When I came back to the US in 09 for further studies they were upset and sad when i moved back immediately in 2011. But they did not stop me.

I will be moving back in the summer as my father's health has begun to deteriorate. I'm only 31 so there are years ahead of me and I know I will be back. Furthermore because I will also teach in the US, I will have a decent amount of vacation time, allowing me to visit.

Mine loved the idea.

Mother and Stepdad come to visit every year in Feb for a month.

Dad and his wife come every December for 2 or 4 months. Stay in CM and enjoy the warm weather.

Sister comes when she gets stressed from work and parties for a week or 2 then goes back.

So yea its an excuse to go to a tropical place and have a fun time.

• Like 1

Like father, like son the saying goes.

I see both sides of the coin. My father moved to Bangkok about 30 years ago. His choice. All good. From this I have a half Thai sister who is now 7 and she is lovely. Something imo fantastic that came from a why do you want to live there? Myself now married and have a daughter, the plan is to also move. I think we will save on the air fares anyway(joke).

Anyhow, respect t those who made that move. It is a big one.

Being late 20's I didn't exactly have to ask for permission or get approval and I didn't care what there opinion was anyway.

My dad said something along the lines of "Good idea, get out there and have fun, no point in being in this sh*thole all your life, go see what happens" as he always does when I go off traveling. He has traveled himself and done a few 3-4 month stints in Thailand before.

My mum said "You need to pack this traveling in and stop messing around on the internet pretending to make money and get a real job and settle down" as she always does when I go off traveling. She doesn't understand the desire to travel or live abroad and just likes going on holidays to Spanish holiday resorts or Florida. Thinks I'm just a work shy chancer who's avoiding responsibility (she's not completely wrong tbh).

My gran said "I wish I'd done something like that when I was younger, good on you here's £100".

The rest? No idea never mentioned it to them.

What is it you think people would / are supposed to think btw?

• Like 1

couldn't have added a thing..this sums my experience right up

Moved here (from Australia) as I was getting married, looked for a transfer directly with my company having put in a decent stint with them. Got the "we'll get the regional head office to call you when you get there" - still waiting for that call 9 months later.

Parents are not phased, we've lived apart for going on 10 years now. My oldest sister is married and living in the USA, so gives the parents the opportunity to travel.

They love it here, been twice and will be back in Feb.

I get back home every so often and as my business directly engages businesses back home, probably even more in the coming years.

Grandparents? They're not complaining, they got most of my stuff that I left "in storage" at their place when I moved here hahah...

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

If you are in your late 30's or older, I think your family might ask a few questions. However, I think the next few generations will have a much easier time living wherever. It's such a simple question, if they ask anything, "do you think this will make you happy?" i feel bad for people who don't travel. I didn't travel much in my 20's because of work and other passions, but now i think it's critical to really expand your horizons. i've spent 1 year in thailand, so i have an idea. sure, friends will joke about the sex trade; however, they are trying to get you to stay in their world. easy to drag someone down, very hard to pull them up. enjoy.

• Like 2

Diagnosed in early 2002 in the UK with an incurable (but controllable) lung disease - Aspergillosis. My doctor urged me to relocate to a hot climate to alleviate my condition, (which it has done).

I suggested to my wife that we relocate to Thailand. She agreed with the condition that I changed the word 'we' to 'I'.

Simon

So much for 'in sickness and in health".

Took my Thai wife to my homecountry, to show her where I came from and to meet the family.

Sisters and brothers very welcoming with Thai food and spending time showing the wife around.

Next day, I called my mother to tell her, we would come by. The answer I got: "You are welcome, but no need to bring your socalled wife"

Haven't spoken to my mother since, which is more than 10 years, and am still married to my "socalled wife"! coffee1.gif

Did she get over it?

Did you re-establish contact ... a connection?

I sort of had a similar experience.

Both my parents have 'gone up' ... and for Family there is just my sister and me ... 4 years age difference.

Because she's married with a couple of Kids, Christmas was always at her place.

When I bought my first serious Thai gf to Australia, that time included Christmas.

There wasn't an invitation forthcoming to spend a Family Christmas together ... so I can relate to the experience you had.

With my current lassie, keen not to have that mistake repeated I invited my Sister to Thailand to share the journey ... she had a ball ... dispelled a few myths.

Sister has been back a 2nd time and is planning her third.

Sister is now solid as, and wonders why such a nice girl would want to be with me ... facepalm.gif

Being late 20's I didn't exactly have to ask for permission or get approval and I didn't care what there opinion was anyway.

My dad said something along the lines of "Good idea, get out there and have fun, no point in being in this sh*thole all your life, go see what happens" as he always does when I go off traveling. He has traveled himself and done a few 3-4 month stints in Thailand before.

My mum said "You need to pack this traveling in and stop messing around on the internet pretending to make money and get a real job and settle down" as she always does when I go off traveling. She doesn't understand the desire to travel or live abroad and just likes going on holidays to Spanish holiday resorts or Florida. Thinks I'm just a work shy chancer who's avoiding responsibility (she's not completely wrong tbh).

My gran said "I wish I'd done something like that when I was younger, good on you here's £100".

The rest? No idea never mentioned it to them.

What is it you think people would / are supposed to think btw?

This post is a perfect example of the same question, different scenario's. You say at the end ... What is it you think people would / are supposed to think btw?

But your examples are from mom, dad and gran........possibly coming from a person who has never had a serious relationship or has children.. When you have one or possibly two (wife/child)come back and answer the same question, it might be a bit different! Have a close look in your daughters eyes when you introduce her new "mommy" who just happens to be 5 years younger than her......hahaha, too funny!

This post is a perfect example of the same question, different scenario's. You say at the end ... What is it you think people would / are supposed to think btw?

But your examples are from mom, dad and gran........possibly coming from a person who has never had a serious relationship or has children.. When you have one or possibly two (wife/child)come back and answer the same question, it might be a bit different! Have a close look in your daughters eyes when you introduce her new "mommy" who just happens to be 5 years younger than her......hahaha, too funny!

Well I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be consulting any former girlfriends or wives about what they thought of my plans to move to Thailand.