marriage visa, the real requirements

I keep getting different answers on this and it is becoming a bit confusing as no 2 thai immigration oficers can give me a straight answer. I am on a pension and earn over 40,000 baht a month, do I need to have 400,000 baht in the bank as well or not. Also what else do I need to get a marriage visa and how long before my current visa expires do I need to do it. We have asked at the local immigration office a few times now and they either have no idea, tell me to get a retirement visa or tell me I need 400,000 baht in the bank, they have no idea about my monthly payments and cannot even tell me how I am supposed to prove I get what I say. Can anyone here tell me how to prove my monthly pension amount and if I need money in the bank as well, also what other documents etc do I need to show and how long does it take (or how long before my visa expires should I do it), my current visa(12 month multi entry non resident visa with 2 month extension) expires on 19 december and I do not want to do another Ranong run.

Thanks

Apply anytime during the final 30 days of your permission to stay.

A Rough Guide.

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month OR a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.

Letter from your Thai Bank showing balance and up to date bank book.

OR.

If income from outside Thailand: Letter from your Embassy showing income. Now may also need proof of income as back up.

If Income from Thailand: Statements showing Income Tax receipts.

Marriage Certificate. (Kor Ror 3)

Marriage Registry entry. (Kor Ror 2)

Wife's Tabbien Baan and ID Card.

Your Passport.

Copies of everything.

Photos of you and your Wife in and around the house.

A map showing the way to your house.

Passport size photos and 1,900 Baht fee.

Take your Wife to be interviewed.

One or two witnesses may be required.

You will be given a 30 day under consideration stamp.

Go back in a month and get the remainder.

• Like 1

It is not a visa it is an extension stay base upon marriage.

Yes you can use the 40k baht income option there in no need to have money in the bank.

To prove your income requires a income letter from your embassy. You will need to contact them to find out there requirements to get it.

You can apply for your extension as early as 30 days before your current permit to stay ends.

• Like 1

I did my first extension approx. 4 months ago at chaeng wattana. I had 400k in the bank (so do not know about the 40k a month requirements) but they did require (next to the all requirements above) the capacity to marry certificate form. Still do not know why they required this form, as without wouldn't be able to got married in the first place! (Maybe only the first time) haha do not forget the pictures as they seemed to enjoy them the most good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

If you are on a UK passport then go to the Embassy with your pension statement one morning and return the following day to collect your letter confirming you have at least 40000 THB a month income, you can also do this by post paying with a Thai post office, postal order. The UK embassy website has details of this and the fee involved.

You could also do this at the Consulate in Pattaya but no longer. The service in Pattaya is now operated by Key Visa for a 300 THB fee and saves the trip to BKK, look at their website for details.

You will need to submit 2 copies of everything, 1 copy for your application and 1 copy for your wife's statement.

They will keep the original of the embassy letter but not other originals but they will usually (in my case) like to see the other originals before accepting the copies.

• Like 1

thanks guys, at least now I have a better idea of whats involved, looks like I will have to go to Bangkok and get the aussie embassy to do some paperwork, will email first thing tomorrow to find out what they need me to bring. Photos will have to be taken as we rarely have any taken of us, have a few taken at weddings etc but none at home as yet. Its great just to find out what is required, the office just kept changing everything and telling me to go for a retirement visa but I want a marriage visa as my earnings are spot on for it.

Thanks again to all those that answered, I really do appreciate it.

That depends on your nationality. The UK embassy certainly does require proof before issuing the letter. But as a result immigration know this and rarely, if ever, ask for evidence of income other than the UK embassy letter. Other nationalities may (or may not) be asked for evidence of income.

wife went to the local immigration office today and they are now saying I have to show them a thai bank account with a minimum 40,000 baht going into it each month for at least 3 months. It would seem that immigration are making up new rules as they go. I have an aussie account I use for my payments and will not put them into a thai account as I dont trust thai banks as they do not replace stolen money. Will have to see what I can do.

wife went to the local immigration office today and they are now saying I have to show them a thai bank account with a minimum 40,000 baht going into it each month for at least 3 months. It would seem that immigration are making up new rules as they go. I have an aussie account I use for my payments and will not put them into a thai account as I dont trust thai banks as they do not replace stolen money. Will have to see what I can do.

How do you get your money?

Open an account with no ATM/Debit card and put your money in it absolutely no risk that way. Just go to the bank to get the money if you are that worried.

I have never lost a satang over many years of using Thai banks and ATM cards.

Edited by ubonjoe

I have a thai bank account, if any money dissapears from your account they will not replace it like they do in Australia as they say it is your fault and accept no responsibility so I only transfer money as I need it or just use my aussie master card because that has safety features that thai cards do not have and cannot be set up. I can produce my aussie account for them but they want a thai one so I will have to see what else I can do. Everything else in the list in the first answer is also required.

I have a thai bank account, if any money dissapears from your account they will not replace it like they do in Australia as they say it is your fault and accept no responsibility so I only transfer money as I need it or just use my aussie master card because that has safety features that thai cards do not have and cannot be set up. I can produce my aussie account for them but they want a thai one so I will have to see what else I can do. Everything else in the list in the first answer is also required.

Immigration not unreasonably will want to see the money actually coming into Thailand for you to support your self and your spouse, without a Thai Bank Account that's going to be tricky.

If the Thai Bank Account you have now doesn't have good security, then you can easily open a new Thai Savings Account with ATM Card, Passbook, Internet Banking, automatic SMS notification of any withdrawls, with daily withdrawl limits you can define, plus 24 Hour telephone help lines, so there is really very little risk of being seriously robbed.

However I guess if you cannot come to trust the Thai banks to that extent, then you will also just have to take a rain check on an Extension of Permission to Stay.

Edited by digitalchromakey
  • Like 1

Maybe that if there is money missing they will not replace it. I am with Ubonjoe on this. Since 2003, I have never missed 1 satang.

One time I had a brain fart and left a not so large sum of money in a branch too far from my home to get back before they closed. Went back in on the following Monday. One employee had put the money in an envelope and given it to the branch manager for safe keeping and it was returned back to me.

Interestingly, they did not know who the money was for, so they just waited for me to come back.

Regarding the 400k for two months requirement. It seems to me that the spirit of this requirement is that we should keep this amount in an account at all times (for emergencies, I suppose).

I'd like to find out unequivocally if anyone has gotten into trouble for going below this amount AFTER the extension renewal was accepted (with bank letter for 2 months balance) but before the final stamp was issued.

It's been an expensive year for me, so I'd really like to dip into this money now that I've we've submitted my papers for marriage visa renewal. In previous years, I've waited 30 more days for the stamp before accessing the money for any reason.

I wonder if there is any check made by Thai authorities on the account during the consideration period, even though the requirements only call for the money to be documented for at least 60 days prior to renewal application. No one has posted about such a calamity, so I would guess it's not an issue.

Just want see if there is any reason to be paranoid about this.

Edited by Upcountry

There have been reports of immigration checking the balance during the under consideration period. One I recall was disapproved because they took it all out another was contacted after taking 60k out and was allowed to put it back in.

It would probably be allowable to take a small amount if needed.

You should contact your immigration office to confirm their policy.

Edited by ubonjoe

Guys, how does this sounds, I am applying for a marriage O visa through a legal service in Phuket, all the above requirement needed for attaining the visa sounds correct, but when it come so to the 400,000, this legal service says that 'THEY will put the money into a bank account' with my name on it! Is this possible or even legal?

And when I want to renew the visa they will do again? All for a fee of course. They make it sounds like they do this quite often...

Guys, how does this sounds, I am applying for a marriage O visa through a legal service in Phuket, all the above requirement needed for attaining the visa sounds correct, but when it come so to the 400,000, this legal service says that 'THEY will put the money into a bank account' with my name on it! Is this possible or even legal?

And when I want to renew the visa they will do again? All for a fee of course. They make it sounds like they do this quite often...

I know a couple of guys who were doing it this way. One is no longer in Thailand.

I was offered the same thing for 15,000 baht but there is no way I would do it, this way I am legal and above board. Anyone paying for an illegal visa is asking for trouble and I know there are some on TV that do, very risky.