A woman of her word

Lite Beer

PEOPLE IN THE NEWS
A woman of her word
Chanon Wongsatayanont
Jintana Panyaarvudh
The Sunday Nation

30219061-01_big.gif

Anchalee Paireerak addresses the protesters at the Democracy Monument rally.

BANGKOK: -- TV anchor Anchalee Paireerak explains why she is determined to carry on her fight against Thaksin and his cronies

The crowd demonstrating at Bangkok's Democracy Monument cheered enthusiastically and blew their whistles as Anchalee Paireerak made her way up to the stage. A simple "Hello" from the former journalist and radio host just served to raise the decibel level even higher. Such is the price of fame for Bluesky TV's favourite anchor.

A veteran of political rallies, Anchalee is host of the morning news programme known as "Roi Kao Yam Chao" broadcast on the Democrat Party-affiliated channel. Last weekend, she hosted the show at Samsen station, the original site of the Democrat's rally and was promptly invited to serve as emcee for the evening. On Monday, she joined the rally's march from Samsen to the Democracy Monument and has been playing master of ceremonies from 6pm to 9pm ever since.

Anchalee has been much in demand since the beginning of this present round of protests against exiled former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra and the amendment of the Amnesty bill that could see him return to Thailand, speaking to demonstrators with the Student and People Network for Thailand's Reform (STR) rally at the Urupong intersection as well as the Dhamma Army at the Phan Fa Lilat Bridge.

She was also popular with the anti-Thaksin demonstrators led by the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD), aka the yellow shirts, back in 2006.

But her involvement in the political scene goes back even further, to the days when Thaksin's Thai Rak Thai party governed the country.

The former TV reporter first became known to the public through FM 96.5 MHz, a radiowave dedicated to providing detailed analyses of decisions made by the government. When the station was shut down in 2004 she moved to a community radio FM 92.25 MHz.

"That was the real beginning of the fight against the government through the alternative media," she says.

As her immersion in politics increased, so did her desire to speak out against the government and later that year, she volunteered to serve as news anchor for the anti-Thaksin rally led by Sondhi Limthongkul, updating the protesters with the current news.

"I wasn't at all excited when I went on stage," she recalls. "But I was astounded by the number of protesters who'd gathered - half of Sanam Luang was occupied!"

Anchalee was also a key player in the 2006 and 2008 PAD protests, assuming the role of MC and spending plenty of time on stage.

"During the 2008 rally, I was out there protesting for 193 days without a break," she says with pride.

She attributes her popularity to her easy-going nature and relaxed approach. "I think I am a fun person. Usually rally speakers tend to make things too intense and stressful or go the other way and make it all fun. I try to find a balance between the two," she says, adding that she's not the kind of emcee who will urge the protesters to chant "fight, fight!"

Anchalee prefers to lighten up the atmosphere by singing or teasing the crowd and getting them to feel involved. While she can be cutting about opponents, she is gentle in her style of delivery to the protesters, entertaining them and keeping them updated on the current situation and also introducing the celebrities who come to show their support on the stage.

After 10 years of political rallies, Anchalee is pleased that today's technological advances have made organising the stage for protests so much easier. She cites the crane as an example. "The camera [stationed on the crane] makes it look like a revolving stage," she says. "That makes viewers watching the broadcast from home feel more of a part of the rally and also encourages them want to leave their comfort zones and join us." Posting and sharing pictures on the social media is also a good ploy to bring more hesitant protesters to the rally site.

Asked whether she feels she was born to be a political emcee with the rally stage as her natural home, she thinks hard before replying.

"The feedback I get from the crowd is that I have an ability to make people laugh or cry. When I'm on the stage holding a microphone in my hand, I feel like I just disappear.

"By that I mean, there are moments when I can't remember what I've said. It's a bit like when writers say they get lost in their manuscripts," she says,

While Anchalee is enjoying her time on the Democrats' stage, she is well aware that their current protest starts and ends with the controversial blanket Amnesty bill only.

"I will not stop at the dropping of the bill. I will see this through to the end," she says firmly, adding that Thailand's current government is nothing more than a continuation of the Thaksin regime she started fighting a decade ago.

"If the Democrats back down after the amnesty bill is withdrawn, I will join another protest that shares my cause, most likely the STR," she says, meaning that regardless of the political outcome, her fans are sure to see her again and often in the days to come.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-11-10

• Like 2

This is November, but it could turn out be as bad as Bloody October 1976, when citizens and students rose up against the government. We still do not know how many student from Thamasat University were murdered, or what happened to the bodies. When a government will do anything to remain in control, innocent people die. The PT party storm troopers are will defend the Dynasty. In Germany they wore brown shirts, they do here also, and have shirt of red also.

This is November, but it could turn out be as bad as Bloody October 1976, when citizens and students rose up against the government. We still do not know how many student from Thamasat University were murdered, or what happened to the bodies. When a government will do anything to remain in control, innocent people die. The PT party storm troopers are will defend the Dynasty. In Germany they wore brown shirts, they do here also, and have shirt of red also.

Fear not tom, the Red Brigade are only gathering at Ratchaprasong for old times sake. They are a peaceful bunch now that their fearless, incendiary leaders have been tamed and accepted into respectable society.

Tuesday may bring a change of attitude however after the result of the ICJ ruling is announced.wink.png

• Like 2

Anyone linked to Sondhi cannot be very good. I prefer Thaksin and the red shirts to these pompous stuffed up personalities who think they are better than the people of the northeast and the north.

Edited by metisdead
Font reset to default forum font. Use Arial size 14, black when posting.
  • Like 1

Ghastly, yes, but not quite the same. As one friend in Udonthani told me, thanks to Thaksin her brother could get treatment in the government hospital for his cancer; however, the problem was that he had many friends. By that she meant patients were stacked together side by side with about 12 of them packed together all with different problems.

The politicians, for the most part, are Sino-Thais fighting for power, influence and wealth. The lady in question is Sino-Thai too, as is Thaksin, Abhisit, Sondhi et al.

Edited by metisdead
Font reset to default forum font. Use Arial size 14, black when posting.

Ghastly, yes, but not quite the same. As one friend in Udonthani told me, thanks to Thaksin her brother could get treatment in the government hospital for his cancer; however, the problem was that he had many friends. By that she meant patients were stacked together side by side with about 12 of them packed together all with different problems.

The politicians, for the most part, are Sino-Thais fighting for power, influence and wealth. The lady in question is Sino-Thai too, as is Thaksin, Abhisit, Sondhi et al.

As I said, it's on a personal level. Thaksin gives with one hand and take with the other.

The dems and abhisit doesn't give a lot.

• Like 1

As I said, it's on a personal level. Thaksin gives with one hand and take with the other.

The dems and abhisit doesn't give a lot.

Yes, gives with one hand and takes back at least double with the other. The others may not give much, but they certainly don't take back from you more than they give.

Abhisit should step down and allow her and Korn to fight the next election

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I rather Suthep fight the next election.

He is clean, well educated, and fully committed to fight corruption.

• Like 1

That isn't Suthep you are describing it is Abhisit!!

• Like 1

Yes, gives with one hand and takes back at least double with the other. The others may not give much, but they certainly don't take back from you more than they give.

Obviously, you do not know very much about the history of politics in Thailand. Take a look, it is very interesting.

Edited by Stone Inscription 1

Surely Abhisit makes a good adviser or minister for education. And she would make a good PM.

the healthcare is a project from the Democrats.....

cheesy.gif I like Suthep but still this is too funny

Health care may have originated with the Democrats way back when, but Thaksin was the man who got the legislation through parliament.

I suspect you know this, but the reason the Dems didn't get this legislation through parliament is that studies showed it to be non-sustainable.

Thaksin decided that his own popularity was more important than a sustainable healthcare service. His actions left some hospitals without any beds. He very nearly crippled the healthcare service for good.

But I'm sure we all agree that he did it with the best of intentions.

• Like 1

Health care may have originated with the Democrats way back when, but Thaksin was the man who got the legislation through parliament.

And then the Democrats made it free, because it cost more than 30 baht to manage the 30 baht payments. But PTP brought back the payment, voluntarily I think they said at one stage, which would actually make it cost even more than it did before, because they would collect as many payments.

Well, not everyone is taking sides. tongue.png It seems to me in public debate anymore that the vocal minority drowns out the voice of reason. This is what is going on in Thailand. They learned their nasty tricks from us. Hence the US government, the British government, and now the French government have bought into the idea, correctly, that the population can be controlled if one just polarizes them into fans of teams, so no socially relevent issue ever sees the light of day (infrastructure or education or any of those untouchable topics), and the sheeple will run from one droll and banal controversy to another in a rush to defeat each other's arguments.

My guys are better than yours! (As long as, ahem, you do not look too closely). But I picked them, so they are just...better.

Gays in Antarctica, the plight of the the Sumatran red-breasted lark, the atrocities committed by the whoever for whatever...ANYTHING to keep people distracted.

I think homo sapiens suffer from ADD enmasse.

By the way, the French (who are selling old WWII rifles, dropped twice and never fired) have now stepped up to the level of other despondent leaders and blocked peace in Iran because it is not profitable... Mayhem creates money; peace prevents profits. Since peace is not profitable, we have to prevent peace! My God, people could actually be comfortable and start considering those issues neither side can address. It would be anarchy! Maybe even Thailand would have riots..

This is despicable.

Resume rants.

Edited by FangFerang

Fear not tom, the Red Brigade are only gathering at Ratchaprasong for old times sake. They are a peaceful bunch now that their fearless, incendiary leaders have been tamed and accepted into respectable society.

So no need for all the people who now work in the ZEN tower and hotel and department store to practise their fire drill?

I suspect you know this, but the reason the Dems didn't get this legislation through parliament is that studies showed it to be non-sustainable.

Thaksin decided that his own popularity was more important than a sustainable healthcare service. His actions left some hospitals without any beds. He very nearly crippled the healthcare service for good.

But I'm sure we all agree that he did it with the best of intentions.

Yes, all the best intentions for himself, as he is Thailand!!!!