Life in Kathu

Dualeck

As already stated ,Kathu is relitavely quiet, not a bar area as such but a good base to stay. Good open market daily, by the main traffic light crossroad, couple of good bars and restaurants near the golf clubs.

But yes, the road to Patong can be dangerous, especially at peak hours and in rain, very steep and bendy, beware of coaches with no brakes on the approach down to Patong.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's cheaper because it's not near the beaches. Much of the staff from Patongs tourism sector lives there. It's no more The road between Patong and Kathu is steep, twisty, and treacherous. Many accidents occur there. There is no more criminal element than other parts of Phuket. It's too far from the beaches for me but I have a lot of friends that live in that area and they seem to like it.

BTW, Patong is Kathu district but the area east of the Patong hills but before you reach town is referred to as Kathu, so don't get confused when you try to find the Kathu police station then learn it's in Patong.

Is there any alternatives to transportation from Kathu to Patong then? Because i only have a bike. Like Sonthaew or something. And does anyone have an idea about approximately how much it cost to take taxi from Kathu to Patong?

No songtheaws here. Be aware that transport in Phuket is unlike any other parts of Thailand. It is priced to be used by only to tourists, and designed to be able to the highest possible fares from tourists that have no idea how far their destination may be, or what a reasonable fare is. No meters and no posted fares on the tuk tuks. It is open to abuse, but that is by design. Tuk tuk (which for Phuket means a little red truck) co-ops and taxi "federations" have all colluded in price-fixing, often using threats and intimidation in order to slowly increase fares over the years so now some of the prices being asked are more expensive than anywhere in the world. A taxi ride from the airport to the main beaches is now "officially" 800B+, if you manage to get the "official" price. I have had many of my customers charged between 1800B and 4000B. This trip in a Bangkok metered taxi would be around 275B. Often your taxi ride from the airport will cost more than your regional flights airfare. Getting from one beach to the next, a 10-15m ride, might be 400B, getting back, 1200B. There is a rudimentary bus system, but the schedules are irregular and as LIK mentioned, they stop around 6pm. And there is no bus system between the beach towns. The last time that was tried, tuk tuk drivers dragged the bus driver from his bus and beat him.

Good post NJ - accurately describes the woeful transport situation on Phuket.

If Phuket ever did get proper metered taxis, or a baht bus system, similar to Pattaya, it makes you wonder what a massive effect on real estate prices, across the island, it would have, both for sales, and for rentals.

• Like 1

I GO TO BANGLA ROAD FOR NIGHT LIFE JUST 10 MIN BY BIKE AND ALSO YOU CAN GO TO PHUKET TOWN.

EDIT:

Please do not post in all caps. It is considered shouting and as such rude!

This is also one thing i consider a major plus about Kathu. I'm not at particularly big fan of Bangla Road but think its ok to go a couple of times a month. Therefore its perfect that I can go to Bangla Road when it suits me, instead of Bangla Road being around me all the time. A major implication about this though, is that i think driving a bike and going out for a drink is a bad mix. Especially driving the road between Kathu and Patong. Thats why i wonder about the prices and possibilities for Taxi. As i said earlier, i know its expensive, I just want to know how big the damage will be.

It's cheaper because it's not near the beaches. Much of the staff from Patongs tourism sector lives there. It's no more The road between Patong and Kathu is steep, twisty, and treacherous. Many accidents occur there. There is no more criminal element than other parts of Phuket. It's too far from the beaches for me but I have a lot of friends that live in that area and they seem to like it.

BTW, Patong is Kathu district but the area east of the Patong hills but before you reach town is referred to as Kathu, so don't get confused when you try to find the Kathu police station then learn it's in Patong.

Is there any alternatives to transportation from Kathu to Patong then? Because i only have a bike. Like Sonthaew or something. And does anyone have an idea about approximately how much it cost to take taxi from Kathu to Patong?

No songtheaws here. Be aware that transport in Phuket is unlike any other parts of Thailand. It is priced to be used by only to tourists, and designed to be able to the highest possible fares from tourists that have no idea how far their destination may be, or what a reasonable fare is. No meters and no posted fares on the tuk tuks. It is open to abuse, but that is by design. Tuk tuk (which for Phuket means a little red truck) co-ops and taxi "federations" have all colluded in price-fixing, often using threats and intimidation in order to slowly increase fares over the years so now some of the prices being asked are more expensive than anywhere in the world. A taxi ride from the airport to the main beaches is now "officially" 800B+, if you manage to get the "official" price. I have had many of my customers charged between 1800B and 4000B. This trip in a Bangkok metered taxi would be around 275B. Often your taxi ride from the airport will cost more than your regional flights airfare. Getting from one beach to the next, a 10-15m ride, might be 400B, getting back, 1200B. There is a rudimentary bus system, but the schedules are irregular and as LIK mentioned, they stop around 6pm. And there is no bus system between the beach towns. The last time that was tried, tuk tuk drivers dragged the bus driver from his bus and beat him.

Good post NJ - accurately describes the woeful transport situation on Phuket.

If Phuket ever did get proper metered taxis, or a baht bus system, similar to Pattaya, it makes you wonder what a massive effect on real estate prices, across the island, it would have, both for sales, and for rentals.

genuine expats all have a motorbike and most also a vehicle, 95% of Thai people have there own transport as well

They do not rely on public transport

What do you base your massive effect on real estate prices on, sounds like your personal opinion only

Well i also live in Chalong at the moment and its nice enough. But at the start of the new year i want to find another place to live on the island.

Btw i also would be interested in a place where they serve cold beer and show Premier League. Isn't there any down by Chalong Pier?

Chalong Pier Beer Garden sells the beer right out of the cool boxes. The bar is at the end of the road leading to the peer, just before Kangeang@Peer.

@ nedkellylives

"genuine expats all have a motorbike and most also a vehicle, 95% of Thai people have there own transport as well

They do not rely on public transport" - that's because there is NO public transport. smile.png

You forgot to mention all the tourists that hire bikes/cars as well. Basically, on Phuket, you have to have access to a vehicle, or be ripped off.

Now, how many of the tourists, locals and expats here ride/drive whilst intoxicated, thus making the roads more dangerous, for everyone, including you????

In relation to real estate prices, if the island had a proper public transport system, both tourists, locals and expats, could spread out more over the island, thus making places that are "cheap" at the moment, more expensive, as they are now better connected to the beach, shopping centres and nightlife. Basic property valuation principles, world wide.

• Like 1

@ nedkellylives

"genuine expats all have a motorbike and most also a vehicle, 95% of Thai people have there own transport as well

They do not rely on public transport" - that's because there is NO public transport. smile.png

You forgot to mention all the tourists that hire bikes/cars as well. Basically, on Phuket, you have to have access to a vehicle, or be ripped off.

Now, how many of the tourists, locals and expats here ride/drive whilst intoxicated, thus making the roads more dangerous, for everyone, including you????

In relation to real estate prices, if the island had a proper public transport system, both tourists, locals and expats, could spread out more over the island, thus making places that are "cheap" at the moment, more expensive, as they are now better connected to the beach, shopping centres and nightlife. Basic property valuation principles, world wide.

Tourists stop in the tourist areas, mainly patong and Kata/Karon and do not complain about the prices of tuk tuks/taxis, not the genuine tourists i know anyway

You can enjoy a drink and company without getting intoxicated, if you go out with friends have a nominated driver for the evening then you can drink until you cannot walk

Expats do not buy property here based on public transport, they buy in the area they like or can afford and already live in all areas on the island

If you want to own property freehold in your own name buy a condo, if you know what you are doing and check values yourself you will not lose money

The property will gain in value and you will live rent free where ever you want to

Chalong Pier Beer Garden sells the beer right out of the cool boxes. The bar is at the end of the road leading to the peer, just before Kangeang@Peer.

Nice! What about Premier League?

The Caddyshack by the entrance to Loch Palm Golf Course has 3 large screens and shows premiere league every week,this sports bar and restaurant has become very popular since it opened a year or so ago.

I moved to Kathu from Patong 4 years ago best move I could have made.A great expat community and more and more places opening for dining and drinking. Because of the local schools a lot of younger generation expat teachers here also enhancing the local community

• Like 1

@ nedkellylives

Tourists stop in the tourist areas, mainly patong and Kata/Karon and do not complain about the prices of tuk tuks/taxis, not the genuine tourists i know anyway

You can enjoy a drink and company without getting intoxicated, if you go out with friends have a nominated driver for the evening then you can drink until you cannot walk

Expats do not buy property here based on public transport, they buy in the area they like or can afford and already live in all areas on the island

If you want to own property freehold in your own name buy a condo, if you know what you are doing and check values yourself you will not lose money

The property will gain in value and you will live rent free where ever you want to

"Tourists stop in the tourist areas, mainly patong and Kata/Karon and do not complain about the prices of tuk tuks/taxis" - that's because they can usually walk to the beach, or, they are the new demographic of package holiday makers and have their coach bus.

"not the genuine tourists i know anyway" - please define "genuine tourists." What is a genuine tourist, as opposed to a non-genuine tourists?

"You can enjoy a drink and company without getting intoxicated" - technically, even one beer effects your judgement. For me, "Intoxication" in relation to riding/driving, means operating the vehicle with enough impaired judgement to the point your reactions have slowed to a dangerous level for yourself, and other road users. I think you will find, many tourists, locals and expats ride/drive with impared judgement that would classify them as "driving under the influence" in their home country.

"if you go out with friends have a nominated driver for the evening then you can drink until you cannot walk" - wouldn't this make the nominated driver an "illegal taxi?" :) Seriously, I do not drink so much that I can not walk, but, I would like to drink more than 2 beers an hour, should I chose to, without the risk of arrest and/or bribery and/or extortion by police, and/or having an accident. Having a "nominated driver" is a nice idea, but I thnk very few pactice this method of getting home, especially the tourists who know no one here.

"Expats do not buy property here based on public transport" - correct, that's because there is none.

"If you want to own property freehold in your own name buy a condo" - wow, a "condo" that floats in mid air. :) That "condo" sits on majority Thai owned land. NOTHING can change that fact.

"if you know what you are doing and check values yourself you will not lose money" - can you guarantee this???? I didn't think so.

"The property will gain in value and you will live rent free where ever you want to" - can you also guarantee this???? Once again, I didn't think so. They are building and releasing that many new houses, condo's and apartments here that the resale values of existing condo's will not increase, significantly, for those lucky enough to sell. We are not in the 80's and 90's now, where your comment would have some merit. I see many properties on the market here for years, yes, years, with the owners continually lowering the listing price.

Life must be tough for people whos glass is always half empty and never stop complaining about Phuket coffee1.gif

I like it here, and chose to live in Patong. I view life as a glass half full.

Can you point out a complaint in my post? I have simply stated some negatives here that are well know, and some basic thai property law. Hardly complaints.

I'd still like to know what a "genuine tourist" is. smile.png

Edited by NamKangMan

This topic is about life in Kathu.

Sent from my D90W using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Quoted from the OP.

"And speaking about Patong. How are the road between Kathu and Patong? And does anyone know a rough estimate about the pricing of tuk tuk/taxi between Patong and Kathu?" - transport related.

"I have considered moving to Kathu since the pricing on accommodations there seems very reasonable." - real estate related.

"My general impression is that its a very quiet area, and maybe somewhat boring? Is there much restaurants or nightlife going on there? Don't expect Bangla road, but is there any selection on Bars?" - Patong nightlife related.

... BTW Nomad the Kathu police station is in Kathu up behind the Amphur & was there long before they opened the Patong branch. ...

I think you will find that to be the other way round. The Kathu police headquarters are most definitely in Patong, with sub-station in Kathu. A quick Google search confirms this. I find it hard to believe that is was ever not in Patong considering Kathu was not much more than a few roads cutting through jungle and plantations between Patong and town until a little over a decade ago.

Make that three decades ago.

Ok, I exaggerate a bit, but when I moved here in 2001, Kathu was mostly just a few shophouses lining some of the roads. There was no "there" there. Pretty much just the cable ski and a golf course.

Quoted from the OP.

"And speaking about Patong. How are the road between Kathu and Patong? And does anyone know a rough estimate about the pricing of tuk tuk/taxi between Patong and Kathu?" - transport related.

Patong nightlife related.

Yes but only if it's related to transport from or too Kathu. I don't want this thread to, like every other thread on the Phuket forum, be about the general collective transport problems in Phuket.

• Like 1

Quoted from the OP.

Patong nightlife related.

Yes but only if it's related to transport from or too Kathu. I don't want this thread to, like every other thread on the Phuket forum, be about the general collective transport problems in Phuket.

The point is, whilst you may get cheaper rent in Kathu, IF you need to use the tuk-tuks or taxis, at all, and especially going into Patong for a night out (note - I do not include diving/riding whilst intoxicated) Eg. some members state that expats have motorbikes, so they are not effected by the transport problem here. - what you save in rent for the month, you may end up spending more in transport than any rent savings.

• Like 1

Eg. some members state that expats have motorbikes

Wow what en extreme revelation. Lets have 10 more posts about this.

As for having to spend money in transportation to enjoy the Patong nightlife that is the case for everyone who live on the Island, except for those living in Patong. In fact my hypothesis is that people living in Kathu use less money than for example people living in Phuket town, Chalong, Raway, Etc.. in transportation money because of the short distance. As Taxi and Tuk Tuk gets more ecpensive bigger the distance. But what was really my question is HOW much will it cost to take a taxi/Tuk Tuk from Kathu to Patong. I KNOW that public transportation in Phuket is f***d, i just want to know how big the damage is. As living in the middle of Patong is not ideal for me, i am ready to pay a little extra to live outside of Patong (although not that far), and go to the place when i myself wish to go there.

As for having to spend money in transportation to enjoy the Patong nightlife that is the case for everyone who live on the Island, except for those living in Patong. In fact my hypothesis is that people living in Kathu use less money than for example people living in Phuket town, Chalong, Raway, Etc.. in transportation money because of the short distance. As Taxi and Tuk Tuk gets more ecpensive bigger the distance. But what was really my question is HOW much will it cost to take a taxi/Tuk Tuk from Kathu to Patong. I KNOW that public transportation in Phuket is f***d, i just want to know how big the damage is. As living in the middle of Patong is not ideal for me, i am ready to pay a little extra to live outside of Patong (although not that far), and go to the place when i myself wish to go there.

"Wow what en extreme revelation. Lets have 10 more posts about this." - if you are going to quote me, quote the full sentence.

"i am ready to pay a little extra to live outside of Patong" - are you ready to a lot extra, becaue if you need to use tuk-tuks and taxis, that's what you will be paying.

As for the EXACT price from Kathu to Patong and from Patong to Kathu - the drivers can name their price, and it goes up if you are drunk, if it's raining, if you have a "new friend" with you etc.

Edited by NamKangMan

"if you are going to quote me, quote the full sentence." The essence in the sentence i quoted stands the same.

"are you ready to pay a lot extra, becaue if you need to use tuk-tuks and taxis, that's what you will be paying." Not more than other people living in other parts of the Island going to and from Patong at nighttime, and most of them travel a much longer distance than people living in Kathu. And anyway, as i said earlier in this post, i am not the kind of person that goes out drinking 2 times a week, we are talking maximum 1-2 times a month. So no, i don't expect to use a lot of money on this. But i want to have the option. That transportation prices are overpriced i know, and i knew that a long before i moved to Phuket.

"As for the EXACT price from Kathu to Patong and from Patong to Kathu - the drivers can name their price, and it goes up if you are drunk, if it's raining, if you have a "new friend" with you etc." The reason i want to know an estimate of the price is of course for negotiation reasons in those examples you mentioned. I thought that was quite implicit.

Edited by Dualeck

Kathu is great in many ways and one of the main ones is the access to the island it gives you. There is the university backroad getting you south without the central fiasco, and the golf course back road getting you north, bypassing the central fiasco. Then of course theres Patong right there (another backroad included to cut on to the hill even further up).

Theres no bars that I would consider going to, for that I usually end up in Phuket Town which is pretty close (after the rush hour traffic dies down).

Other things I really like is that theres great little thai restaurants all along the main road, once you get to know their hours of operation they are cheap and reliable. If i could live anywhere Id live in nai harn cause my friends are there, or nai yang cause its just much more thailand like up north. But Kathu is great cause everything is under an hour a way... all my friends down south or up north end up spending a lot of time by themselves cause they are too lazy to ever go anywhere. I dont ever feel hindered by travel.

And as for taxis ive almost never seen any in the area, but the bike over the patong hill is totally fine if you drive really slow and keep alert.

• Like 1

Wow what en extreme revelation. Lets have 10 more posts about this. As for having to spend money in transportation to enjoy the Patong nightlife that is the case for everyone who live on the Island, except for those living in Patong. In fact my hypothesis is that people living in Kathu use less money than for example people living in Phuket town, Chalong, Raway, Etc.. in transportation money because of the short distance. As Taxi and Tuk Tuk gets more ecpensive bigger the distance. But what was really my question is HOW much will it cost to take a taxi/Tuk Tuk from Kathu to Patong. I KNOW that public transportation in Phuket is f***d, i just want to know how big the damage is. As living in the middle of Patong is not ideal for me, i am ready to pay a little extra to live outside of Patong (although not that far), and go to the place when i myself wish to go there.
As a farang/tourist walking up to a tuk-tuk and asking to be taken from patong to kathu (Anywhere from "just over the hill" to tesco/makro/caltex gas station) will be anywhere from 800-2500 ONE WAY (add 500-1000 if in kata/karon). And 800 baht is a steal.....once you go outside the "200 baht range" that is supposed to take you anywhere in and around patong [one way] as displayed on the laminated poster, the price gets super-creative.A private (unmarked) taxi or shuttle service is about 400 baht one way to go over the hill. Maybe 700-1200 baht for them to wait for you and take you back or possibly do a couple of more stops.And i emcourage you to verify these numbers yourself. Walk up to 3-5 random tuk tuks and ask them how much to take you to caltex gas station in kathu from [anywhere] patong.Or just stay in patong guesthouse or that apartment and walk/motorbike taxi (generally much more reasonable than their tuk-tuk peers :)You'll get much more lady companionship this way, assuming that is the [primary] reason for going to patong in the first place.
About 400 Bt to 500 Bt one way.
Really? A private taxi (needs to be pre-arranged) or tuk tuk anyone can pickup from beach?Btw, are there any tuk tuks in kathu going to patong that sit somewhere? Or do those need to be called to the house?"Second best time to plant a tree is today" sent from note2 TV app Edited by 4evermaat

Yes, and the transport problems of the island need to be well understood by anyone thinking to move here as much as any other issue. Based on his comments the OP was expecting it to be something like all the other parts of Thailand which have affordable, reliable transport systems.

Based on his comments the OP was expecting it to be something like all the other parts of Thailand which have affordable, reliable transport systems.

No. Already in post 10 in this thread i said "I know its <deleted>***. (the <deleted>*** part got censored afterwards).

• Like 1

As a farang/tourist walking up to a tuk-tuk and asking to be taken from patong to kathu (Anywhere from "just over the hill" to tesco/makro/caltex gas station) will be anywhere from 800-2500 ONE WAY (add 500-1000 if in kata/karon). And 800 baht is a steal.....once you go outside the "200 baht range" that is supposed to take you anywhere in and around patong [one way] as displayed on the laminated poster, the price gets super-creative.

A private (unmarked) taxi or shuttle service is about 400 baht one way to go over the hill. Maybe 700-1200 baht for them to wait for you and take you back or possibly do a couple of more stops.

And i emcourage you to verify these numbers yourself. Walk up to 3-5 random tuk tuks and ask them how much to take you to caltex gas station in kathu from [anywhere] patong.

Or just stay in patong guesthouse or that apartment and walk/motorbike taxi (generally much more reasonable than their tuk-tuk peers :)

You'll get much more lady companionship this way, assuming that is the [primary] reason for going to patong in the first place.

About 400 Bt to 500 Bt one way.

Really? A private taxi (needs to be pre-arranged) or tuk tuk anyone can pickup from beach?

Btw, are there any tuk tuks in kathu going to patong that sit somewhere? Or do those need to be called to the house?

"Second best time to plant a tree is today" sent from note2 TV app

No, 800 baht and up is simply not true.

... BTW Nomad the Kathu police station is in Kathu up behind the Amphur & was there long before they opened the Patong branch. ...

I think you will find that to be the other way round. The Kathu police headquarters are most definitely in Patong, with sub-station in Kathu. A quick Google search confirms this. I find it hard to believe that is was ever not in Patong considering Kathu was not much more than a few roads cutting through jungle and plantations between Patong and town until a little over a decade ago.

I lived in Patong for 8 years from 1989 & I remember having to go to the police station in Kathu to get a report on a lost bank book. Banks would not issue a new book without a police report. Phuket Country Club opened in 1989 & the village nearby was there long before as was another one just past Loch Palm Golf Club which I think was going by the late 90s. The market across from the Caltex station was already a big market & thriving. In 1997 we moved into Anuphas Golfville which is an extensive housing estate. There was another big one behind the university already well underway along with others such as Highland Ville.

IF you intend to live near the caltex service station should be no problem getting a tuk tuk they pass

there empty all the time returning to patong

7 years ago a tuk tuk from patong to kathu cost 400 baht, i used one to shift some gear

There has been some very accurate information posted by people who do and have lived there

IF you only go to patong once or twice a month the cost of a tuk tuk should bot be a problem

Edited by nedkellylives

"if you are going to quote me, quote the full sentence." The essence in the sentence i quoted stands the same.

"are you ready to pay a lot extra, becaue if you need to use tuk-tuks and taxis, that's what you will be paying." Not more than other people living in other parts of the Island going to and from Patong at nighttime, and most of them travel a much longer distance than people living in Kathu. And anyway, as i said earlier in this post, i am not the kind of person that goes out drinking 2 times a week, we are talking maximum 1-2 times a month. So no, i don't expect to use a lot of money on this. But i want to have the option. That transportation prices are overpriced i know, and i knew that a long before i moved to Phuket.

"As for the EXACT price from Kathu to Patong and from Patong to Kathu - the drivers can name their price, and it goes up if you are drunk, if it's raining, if you have a "new friend" with you etc." The reason i want to know an estimate of the price is of course for negotiation reasons in those examples you mentioned. I thought that was quite implicit.

"if you are going to quote me, quote the full sentence." The essence in the sentence i quoted stands the same. - I went on to say that because expats all own a vehicle, many ride/drive whilst intoxicated, thus, having the impression that the transport issue here doesn't effect them.

If you chose to do this, transport will be cheap for you, on your nights out to Patong, should you chose to drink, however, if you are involved in an accident, and someone is killed and/or injured - be prepared to be extorted for a lot of money to buy back your freedom.

"are you ready to pay a lot extra, becaue if you need to use tuk-tuks and taxis, that's what you will be paying." Not more than other people living in other parts of the Island going to and from Patong at nighttime, and most of them travel a much longer distance than people living in Kathu. - EVERYONE is being ripped off, regardless of the distance. You will have two choices, be ripped off, or walk home. Given certain circumstances, eg. it's raining, it's 3am, you have a bar girl with you etc - they will demand a very high price.

"That transportation prices are overpriced i know, and i knew that a long before i moved to Phuket." - great, but does the 1 or 2 times a month you will go out in Patong negate any savings you have made living in Kathu because there is cheaper accommodation there?

"The reason i want to know an estimate of the price is of course for negotiation reasons in those examples you mentioned. I thought that was quite implicit." - the drivers do not negotiate, they collude. Basically, if they all decide it's 1000 baht for you from Patong to Kathu - it doesn't matter how many you ask, they ALL tell you it's 1000 baht.

It's 400 baht from Patong to Kata in the afternoon and 800 baht from Kata to Patong at night. I ride my bike to Kata and get a 500 baht guest house for the night, then go drinking with friends, go back to the guest house, get up in the morning, have breakfast, maybe a walk along the beach, and ride home. Yes, Kata is an "overnighter" and it's only a shoirt distance away.

As crazy as it sounds, even though you are only in Kathu, you may consider doing something the same, for Patong.