Need help to choose a fun car

TramsRepus

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The very rare to find Isuzu 2 doors 4x4 jeep or....even rarest 2 doors Totota 4x4 jeep. High resell value too. European cars may be FUN driving it....not fun at all when you need to repair it or resell it.

Decision is finally made.

Due to Thailands road conditions and floodings now and then, i have decided to go for a "SUV" instead. The choice fell on a white Mazda CX-5 with a 2.5L gasolin engine and the 200kg lighter FWD chassi which makes the 0-100km/h on less then 8 seconds which should make it fairly fun to drive...... And a big bike, which i ordered 3 month ago (and was about to cancel) which is due to be picked up this month.

The CX-5 2.5L will take 3 month to get but it does not matter as im working abroad for a while now anyway.

Thank you for all your good advices and recommendations.

/T

Edited by TramsRepus

............. or the diesel and race chip it... Here we go again facepalm.gif The thing is that i have never owned a diesel before or driven one except for old non-turbo pickups and vans.

There is an article in the Bangkok Post about the cx-5 at the moment. Specs for each model are there. The 2.5 looks faster but you will miss the punch of a diesel. Diesel has better fuel economy too, and is cheaper per litre than benzene.

............. or the diesel and race chip it... Here we go again facepalm.gif The thing is that i have never owned a diesel before or driven one except for old non-turbo pickups and vans.

There is an article in the Bangkok Post about the cx-5 at the moment. Specs for each model are there. The 2.5 looks faster but you will miss the punch of a diesel. Diesel has better fuel economy too, and is cheaper per litre than benzene.

Yeah, I read that article earlier today. I like that CX-5 Diesel a lot, But, 1.7M Baht is a bit crazy price for this particular vehicle I think.

I don't know much about diesels. Could it be that the diesel is more sporty and fun to drive due to its higher torque than the 2.5 gasoline which in an article in Bangkok Post says doing the 0-100km/h in 7.5 seconds compared with the diesels 9.4s.

I gave up the CX-5 as I had to wait 3-5 month for one. I have found a 4month old BMW 320d for 1.4m with low milage. Why so cheap? Too good to be true? It cost over 2.5 new, right? It was sold new by BMW Thailand and have 55 month left on the BSI. I have never bought a 2nd car in Thailand before. How to check so all is correct?

I gave up the CX-5 as I had to wait 3-5 month for one. I have found a 4month old BMW 320d for 1.4m with low milage. Why so cheap? Too good to be true? It cost over 2.5 new, right? It was sold new by BMW Thailand and have 55 month left on the BSI. I have never bought a 2nd car in Thailand before. How to check so all is correct?

Maybe the model ? was still some E90 and E93 model For Sale New last year.. The F30 is the latest model..... BMW change models and numbers every 3 years, so easy to have over lapping models for the same year and brand new.

Has it got an interesting number plate ? one guy in my Village had red plates for 11 months was waiting for special number. = car could be anything up to a year old before being registard

Edited by ignis

1.4M is the price for a 2008/09 320d E90 (old model). 1.4M ist too cheap for just 5 months, even if its the old E90. New was 2.89M, so after 5 month it´s only 50%?? Even when it was bought outdated with a discount a while ago this is not a realistic price.

I think this offer is realistic: http://taladrod.com/w20/Search/CarDet40.aspx?cib=1322932 But has about 70.000 on it, so i think i´d give 1.75M, still some BSI so maybe the brakes and some other stuff still can be done or are done already for "free"

Edited by I knew this would happen

Fun on Thai roads? Does that exist? My next car is going to be a big smooth limo like the 5series or something. I will never buy a fun car again in LOS.....

If you have lived in Europe or the US then everything in Thailand (related to cars) is not fun anymore.

Unfortunately i´m not into bikes, but you´re probably right, should be more fun.

The problem with fun cars here is that they still have auto gear boxes which i don´t like. The only way to get a manual fun car is to go to a grey dealer. But who will buy my 2nd hand grey market manual car? An exception is the Toyota GT86 which is sold as a manual here.

And then there is the problem of shifting gears with the left hand......it´s just not right for me. (There was another thread if you guys could accustom from RHD to LHD in LOS). I could easily adopt to RHD, it feels almost "right" by now. But the idea of shifting gears with my left hand will be a no no for me forever.

My current fun car is a E89, still a little more fun than my 3series, but it´s just soooo dull with the auto gear box. Then we have the roads, the traffic and so on............after this car has done it´s job i will forget the idea of fun and just cruise along in a 5series diesel and forget about my autobahn yearning. And well, i´m in Bangkok, so basically the whole city ruins all fun anyway. Even the OP is thinking of an CX5 as his fun car now, so after all most of us give up this idea here and do what´s right/makes sense. ---hmmm that would mean spending zillions on stupid cars.....

Myself also look at older to see how they fair....

Only looked last week, a tent not far from me have the one I like the look of BMW 523 E39 2003 Sport + 10 Airbags !!, 1 owner and 69,000 KM unmarked inside and out 425,000 baht

next to it same year and condition but 116,000 KM Honda 2.4 same price.... and a 3.0 V6 also same year and condition but 515,000 baht...

somehow to pay the same price for a Honda appear silly as the BMW cost far far more new.. guess if not a very low KM user then the BMW will cost more in maintance but even so....

OK I have a older A6 bought 2nd hand in 2008........but a V6 2.4 Audi A6 + 8 airbags, is even cheaper for a 2003 model, around 400,000 baht in mint condition.. so to me a Honda is just silly prices.

Up to what people want, many only think on resale price or cost of parts, then a Toyota or Honda will be cheaper + will sell at silly high prices and fast

You can get a low mileage 2010- 2011 Ford Focus 6 sp manual TDCI for around 500K. Chip it and it goes from 136 hp 320 nm to 175 hp / 405 nm. The car is pretty light and with the chip does 0-100 km/h in about 8 sec. 80/120km/h in about 6.0 - 6.5 sec. This is on par with the 280 Hp Accord 3.5. (for the naysayers, below the acceleration times of the Accord)

Most bang for the buck, frugal and best handling in it's class wink.png

vvjq.png

Edited by sjonburi